It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since When Was Thinness Equated With Beauty?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

I agree 100%.....confidence is sexy! A skinny anorexic girl who has hangups is not sexy. A full figured girl who is comfortable with who she is, can be very sexy. I don't mean obese, but a little chubby. I know a few bigger girls who are just beautiful.....and it's because THEY know they are beautiful and don't let others dictate what they should look like. I am thin (not skinny), but I don't feel I look any better than they do. Like someone said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that is why humans come in such variety....so there is someone for everyone, no matter what you prefer.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

I can't believe people actually starred this. Since when is fat synonymous with lazy? I've worked with some obese people who could really get some work done. Then again, some of the laziest, most worthless employees were thin. I get so sick of stereotypes. Think about it, those larger folks do everything with the equivalent of a thin person carrying around weights all day.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

ha ha last I checked food = energy. No food no energy!

We also need to keep in mind there is a point at which one is too fat and simply isn't able to do physical labor just like there is a point where someone is too skinny.

Thats why I say healthy. It means no matter a persons metabolism they are getting appropriate sustenance to have plenty of energy.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I don't really have anything intelligent to add to this, but I don't like skinny girls at all really. I've never been with an obese girl, but I like women with a little shape to them If you know what I'm saying. A lot of girls today are even so skinny they look underage, which is weird in a way when they try to RP it with you, but I confess went along. A lot of skinny (small blondy types) girls also apparently think they are a lot sexier than they really are, to me anyways. Some of them are smart and just happen to be skinny though and they fall into a different category, oh my what a world full of different girls.

I guess I am biased sort of I tend to see a skinny female as a little girl and a more shapelier female as grade A mating quality.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
I believe it's the inner Pedophile in men, and the Green Eyed monster of Jealousy in Women that is driving the skinny market. It's become massively popular since Kate Moss and CK advertisements and the trend has just continued with young models like Gemma Ward starting out when she was just 15 years old.

Also with womens beauty products - because you can put a higher $$$ selling something which is designed to achieve something which is harder to achieve, in this case, weight loss and being thin.

All the negative press about obesity and health just adds to the pile.

Nick_X it is apparent from your comment that you need to re-read the definition of paedophile. Seriously, women are grown female adults. Fat or thin, or even a nubile female age 15, the word 'paedophilia' does not apply here. I do not mean to insult, not at all.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Way to champion your own agenda! Man, thats a bit one-sided and totally wrong.

For me I like a woman to be healthy and athletic - not necessarily thin. I think too many models are way too thin and it looks sickly and unhealthy. Saying that I don't like fat women either - to me it is not just about image but also attitude. I can't stand laziness, especially physical laziness and I like a woman to be fit and active. If she is both of these things then 9 times out of 10 she will also have a reasonably athletic physique as a product of being more physically active.

Some cultures value larger women and some value smaller, and in a multicultural society there are men who like women from all ends of the spectrum. It can be argued that men who prefer fat women do so as a control measure - they know that their partner will not be as attractive to other men and therefore less likely to stray. Some men like it that their partners are considered attractive by other men, thats all part of the diversity of our culture.

One poster used Japan as an example implying that the reason there were no fat women in Japan was a bad thing! Having lived in Japan i can tell you two things - the Japanese diet is much healthier and Japanese people in general are more active than the average westerner. It is a common sight to see women in their eighties still riding their bicycles everywhere.

So in summary for me too thin is bad, if it is a product of an unhealthy lifestyle and not just that person's body type, and too fat is bad as it both looks unattractive and is unhealthy.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think the spirit of this thread is this: Beauty is in eye of the beholder.

However, if you look back to ancient Egypt, the lithe-svelte body form in both men and women was expressed in their paintings.

Also, nature seems to prefer health and beauty. Maybe we get a signal from nature that obesity is not healthy and therefore not beautiful. In natural selection, nature seems to prefer hooking up health and beauty to procreate, which advances survival of the fittest.

But then again? what's the definition of beauty? It's based on perception.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Ya know what they say out in the country...the bigger the pig the smaller the eye.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
I don't really have anything intelligent to add to this,

Thats not stopping the rest of us!!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm sure I missed it, but you all are talking about where "it started" or "who's to blame" and it's just common sense; skinny is "attractive" right now because there are so many fat people. Period. Most people are fat.

www.cdc.gov...
www.overweightteen.com...
www.annecollins.com...

When something is rare, it has more value. That's all we're seeing here. There's no agenda, there isn't anything more.

Thin is beautiful in this era because we just don't see it as much as we see all those fat asses. We, as humans, need to step up. Where's our self esteem? How do people let themselves get in such a sad state? There's people starving in the world and the average American weighs almost two hundred pounds...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
(This is all in general terms here..)

Thinness is equated to beauty, and also wealth, because obesity is related to laziness, unemployment or poverty. (for women mostly)

In the Olden days, it was the exact opposite because fat people could afford to eat a lot.

It's a spectrum. Wealth = Beauty.

That's why old rich guys get beautiful skinny girls. It's also why big fat women date poor guys. It might also be behind the stereotype that black guys like "bigger" women.

Originally posted by PaoteI'm sure I missed it, but you all are talking about where "it started" or "who's to blame" and it's just common sense; skinny is "attractive" right now because there are so many fat people. Period. Most people are fat.

Just as most people are not wealthy.

Edit to add: Of course though, because it's a spectrum, at one point skinny isn't seen as attractive (anorexia). It's pushing the limits to how skinny they can get while still equaling wealth. That's why SKINNY is in.

edit on 21-4-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crutchley29
You know what im sick off?

Obese women insulting skinny women.

Obese Women insulting skinny Women?

What about all the people who are continuously berated because they are not a size zero? Both Men and Women who have a little bit of meat on their bones, being called fat, when they are not. Not to mention obese people literally being treated as the dung of society because they are fat.

Is that acceptable to you and others on here? One rule for one and one rule for another?

What makes me really sick is the fact that so many people are so disgustingly judgemental when it comes to peoples body sizes.

Nobody should be insulted because they are different, it's just plain wrong.
edit on 21-4-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Hi there
Coincidence because I just finnished reading on the same subiect on polish newspaper blog: about so called "gay" stylists imposing their ridiculous (cant be nothing else -its like asking the blind person about the best photos in the competition)views about beauty upon defenceles, mostly teenage candidates to become models.
Author is Rafal Ziemkiewicz on the blog of "Rzeczpospolita" newspaper.
It sums it neatli up: firstly its to ridiculise normal, healthy womans beauty. Secondly the Woman may be - tolerable to the -so called - "gay" if she will look, at least from behind like - nice boy...
Secred agenda or not but what you expect from someone blind to real beauty

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wang Tang
But if you live in rural areas where you have a lower population density, men don't have to base their desires on superficial appearances as much.

If all the women are fat and toothless, they don't have much of a choice.

What bugs me is the overall tone here suggesting men are "conditioned" and liking thin women is all a conspiracy. Next someone will introduce legislation saying it's discriminatory to avoid fat women.

Get over yourselves already! Men like what they like and women like what they like. "Beautiful" people tend to be attracted to each other and have beautiful babies. Ugly people get the leftovers. If you prefer fat women, go for it, but don't get all preachy about it.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Thinness isn't a word.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Concerning the whole calorie in/calorie burnt idea, theoretically, that is how the body works. However, the body is a lot more complicated than that. I had gastric banding surgery a year ago and have had great success. I'm not at my goal weight yet because my body is holding onto it's fat stores desperately. I have been plateaued for four months even though my band only allows me to eat about 1500 calories a day. I walk when the weather is good and still gain and lose that same five pounds each week or so. I should be able to lose two pounds a week eating 1819 calories a day at my present weight. My doctor says not to worry the plateau will break soon. My body is adjusting to the extreme changes of losing 78 lbs rapidly.
I just wanted to help people understand that losing weight isn't just as easy as eating less and exercising more. Yes, that is part of it, but there is so much more that goes on with the body. It was enlightening to me too as I thought I would lose all the weight without the pains of long plateaus. Apparently, we were designed very well to conserve our fat stores in tough times.
On the plus side, people like me are teaching doctors a lot about how the body works.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Nothing to do with thinness. The human mind is programmed to be attracted to healthier mates, and slim is healthier than being fat. But before people reply with being too thin is unhealthy, I said slim which is not the same as being so skinny that you would get swept away with the wind.

And Wozniacki is considered by most men to be the hottest tennis player out there, so I'm not sure what you're getting at; she has an ideal figure. Maybe very slightly slimmer would be better but she's also fine as she is.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This got me thinking....you know, I blame the media for most of the "perfect slender woman" thing. I know, most men will say it does not influence them.......but just think about it. Most of the images of feminine beauty in magazines is practically IMPOSSIBLE for a woman to achieve (not just Playboy etc, but even magazines geared toward women such as Vogue etc) This is because the images are photoshoped and airbrushed to PERFECTION. Not one speck of cellulite or anything
People look at this and they get a warped image of what a woman should be. Women try to live up to this and get boob jobs and liposuction, get thier lips injected with collogen......many women have a poor body image. Of course there may be a FEW women who are close to perfect, but you are not likely to see one in your lifetime
OK...I'm rambling now.....hope I'm not too off topic, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Check out this video.....by the time the photoshopping is done, the photo barely resembles the model whose pic it is!

The magic of photoshop

Just for fun....here are some celebrities, with no makeup, then AFTER makeup and photoshop. Granted, they may have just had a bad pic, but it shows they are NOT perfect

Heavy to thin via photoshop

Be happy with who you are, slim or heavy, and you will automatically be more attractive!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
to the op grow up - thin chicks have more energy and feel better about themselves which tanslates into more sex. If your old enough to type your old enough to know that. On her 40th birthday Cindy Crawford gave her husband a lap dance in the middle of a night club - fat girls don't do that.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
to the op grow up - thin chicks have more energy and feel better about themselves which tanslates into more sex. If your old enough to type your old enough to know that. On her 40th birthday Cindy Crawford gave her husband a lap dance in the middle of a night club - fat girls don't do that.

Neither do the majority of women

edit on 21-4-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join