It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMERGENCY! report from TWITTER - Nuclear power plant - attempts to save plant STOPPED

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toots

Originally posted by billxam
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

Most sites are out of stock. Potassium Iodide is what you are looking for. We've got the 14 pill blister packs, expires in 2017. Dosage is one per day. The thyroid is the what absorbs the radioactive iodine the fastest. The iodide does nothing more than fill the thyroid with iodine so the radioactive version doesn't get absorbed. Doesn't help other organs. Wet cloth (like flannel) over the mouth and head can help some.

Here in the states I wouldn't expect to see anything real high. My brother lives over there so I'm more worried about him. It's bad.

For those of you worried about radiation poisoning and may not have the ability to procure iodine or iodate tablets, sodium bicarbonate is a "must have" for your household, if you're not already a regular user of it, like me. This substance is better known as common baking soda. I'm never without it, for a variety of reasons. However, I want to point out that I accidentally came across a website just recently that lists many medicinal purposes for sodium bicarbonate, including radiation poisoning! It can be used externally for decontamination and internally for kidney protection. There's also a suggestion that you'd want at least 50 lbs of it on hand in the event of radiation exposure. FYI, I found Sam's Wholesale Club carries it in 13.5 lb bags for less than $7 a bag.

No one should be misled. sodium bicarbonate IS NOT a substitute for potassium Iodide.

Potassium Iodide is what you need to protect yourself from becoming sick with radiation poisoning. It floods the thyroid with good iodine so that irradiated iodine cannot lodge in the thyroid.

Most places are OUT OF STOCK now...surprise! Need to plan ahead, folks. When they are back in stock, you can order here:

beprepared.com...

edit on 12-3-2011 by romanmel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
So…they have not contained it and it is getting worse, and odds are that 3 of the 6 reactors are going to melt down?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
So…they have not contained it and it is getting worse, and odds are that 3 of the 6 reactors are going to melt down?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

We need to hear the truth.
Now is not the time for a "Baghdad Bob" spokesman to throw BS at us.
Are we looking at Chernobyl 2.0?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This is horrible news. Japan is the worlds 3rd largest economy and I cant imagine how this will devastate them as a country.
like a member said previously, they've had enough radioactive disasters in their history. With all the tsunamis, earthquakes, supervolcanos, and power plant melt downs, we need help as a species more than ever...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This is really bad news coming out of Japan.

Who doesn't admire Japanese culture?

Things have gone from terrible to abysmal.

If the structure over the reactor has been blown up, then they need to get moving on bringing in some kind of vault.

Hoping that things will get better is not a solution.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Raw video of the explosion:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Main problem for Chernobyl was the burning Graphite which carried huge amounts of radioactive materials into the atmosphere. That is not the case for Fukushima. Chernobyl also used a much higher yield for its reaction and was running experiments at a high level output. Which also explains the brutal and very sudden explosive meltdown back then.

The Japanese reactors are already shut down the problem is that the reaction inside is still going and needs time to completely chill down. Like all nuclear reactors they need cooling even after shutdown. So basically if the core in Japan is going to "blow" the fallout will be much smaller since there is no real chain reaction going on and therefore no "classic" nuclear explosion is possible. Problem will be the huge radiation on site when the hot core burns itself out of the containment chamber.

Everybody not living in close proximity to the reactors can chill down. No need to spread all the "pack your bags and instant noodles" paranoia. The possibility of heavy atmospheric contamination is pretty low at the moment so stop watching hysterical US media reports and switch to the more professional reports on EU media channels.

I called my uncle in Poland who is a geology professor and visited Chernobyl/Russian nuke test sites back in the 80is for studies on radiation (one of the very few privileged to do that). He confirmed to me that at the current status the radiation in Japan will be very localized. He also reminded me that the Chernobyl core was open to air and burning for DAYS at extreme heat after it blew up, vomiting enormous amounts of radioactive filth into the atmosphere. Add the burning graphite i already mentioned which is a great carrier for radioactive materials and you have your massive fallout.

Of course there will be some fallout in Japan but with a little luck it will be very localized and easy to contain in comparison to Chernobyl. So chill people and keep your fingers crossed that nothing unexpected happens.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hi all, a friend of mine found this on another conspiracy site. I'm not posting it to incite fear; only to ask for information/guidance/feedback from others much more educated than I am. Can anyone comment?

www.rense.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by UtahNavyBrat

Well if that map is accurate, it looks like it would effect my area (Texas) in about 10 days.
I think the explanation of "hangover" who posted immediately before you, and at the same
time, is a good one.
edit on 3/12/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Since this thread covers new breaking information, it has been re-opened.
edit on 12-3-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Look at it this way. If everything was perfectly fine, they would have been clear about it by now. The whole situation seems to me like they are just being very quiet and trying to fix what they can, while they can, and not trying to get everyone panicked. The whole country has already suffered massive destruction from the earthquake and tsunami.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Thank goodness this thread got re-opened. I read the entire thing, got to the end to find it closed... wasn't happy.

There is so much going on with Japan - so many people are talking about this, I think this topic goes well beyond the multiple thread rule.

I think the only way the "venting" would effect the USA is if it actually was able to eject into the jetstream. If they can contain this thing locally - it would save more lives world wide.

Japan needs our prayers - even if you don't believe in a God, give them your good intentions - something...

Peace.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
CNN

The International Atomic Energy Agency, citing Japanese authorities, said the explosion occurred outside the plant's primary containment vessel and that the vessel remained intact. The explosion injured four workers, it said.

To limit damage to the reactor core, Tokyo Electric Power Company began injecting sea water mixed with boron into the primary containment vessel in an operation that got under way Saturday night, IAEA said.

The use of sea water and boron was described as a "Hail Mary pass" by Robert Alvarez, senior scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies focused on energy policies and a former senior policy adviser to the U.S. secretary of energy.

"My understanding is that the situation has become desperate enough that they apparently don't have the capability to deliver fresh water or plain water to cool the reactor and stabilize it and now, in an act of desperation, are having to resort to diverting and using sea water," he said.

Boron, a chemical element, was being added to the water "to sort of stymie other potential nuclear reactions," he said.

Ummm i dont like how they describe this as a 'Hail mary pass'

This may get worse before it gets any better.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
japan governement and the IAEA both just came out and stated radioactivity at site was dropping.

now it is been reported that there is serious trouble with reactor 3 on this site now. it is expected there will be a similar explosion.

can't help feeling that as this site contiues to go downhill that you would eventually expect all the reactors to go the same way. nobody is going to say this as it would start a painc.

however if you have reactor after reactor blowing how are you gonna keep people there to try and save other reactors with buildings blowing up beside you?

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

news.sky.com... is providing continuous live coverage of the nuclear issue.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Footage of the explosion:

This is very bad.

The containment building was experiencing high pressure, but they were venting this. Now, for some inexplicable reason, the building exploded.

Given that caesium and iodine has been detected in the *SURROUNDING* area, suggests very strongly that an explosion has occurred WITHIN the reactor pressure vessel, blowing up the containment building, and spreading a small amount of core material in the local area.

This explains several things:

* The flooding of the reactor with sea water (nothing to lose now)

* the detection of Caesium and Iodine in the local area

* The imposition of an unofficial exclusion zone 60 km around the plant (BBC news reporters are saying they are being prohibited from getting any closer by Police)

* The evacuation of 170,000 people from around the plant

* The way the building suddenly exploded, despite the pressure being regulated previously.

They are now reporting that the second reactor has lost emergency cooling. They are monitoring it closely, but I suspect that it will suffer the same fate unless they choose to flood it with sea water as well.

There is one confirmed death from the first explosion - he was a crane operator on the exhaust stack that was lifted down at 1713 UTC+9, and confirmed dead at the scene 4 minutes later. It is unclear how he died.

Several other workers have bene taken to hospital.

There were reports earlier that immediately following the explosion, control room radiation was 1000 times background, with surrounding area reaching 20 times background.

For all the rhetoric about nuclear plant safety in the west, it seems Chernobyl 2 has happened.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
If you are looking for potassium iodide, I suggest going here right NOW to get it before they also run out:

www.disasterstuff.com...

I just ordered enough for my family for a month because we're on the west coast.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
CNN is reporting a nuclear meltdown in progress.....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Got a link? Will look myself for one now...

EDIT: edition.cnn.com...
edit on 12-3-2011 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
CNN Breaking News warning/headline:

Meltdown may be under way at Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactor, an official with Japan's safety agency says.

*If the official is saying may, one might infer something more concrete, no?

They are also reporting emergency at 2nd reactor...

edit on 12-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Headline now on Fox News:
URGENT: Hundreds of Thousands Ordered to Leave Nuclear Plant Areas

www.foxnews.com...

CNN is also reporting this - I don't care what the official statement is, they are moving LOTS OF people away from the sites, people are being stopped 70 miles away.

So, if we get a full meltdown at several nuclear facilities, what fallout are we looking at?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join