It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 170
<< 167  168  169    171  172  173 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Yeaaa... No. Maybe, China, North & South Korea, Russia... The whole world seems ludicrous to me. You must understand, these aftershocks are tiny, even though the media is like "ULTRA DOOM!!!!11".

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I was having a couple days of thought about this and thought,what if this is a man made quake? this would have to be one of the worst crimes against humanity, first newzeland now this? this is looking too odd,if its not a man made quake its a sighn of times to come, a super moon is approaching on the 19th and there the Nibiru thing on the 15th, i think we overshot the prediction dates and if its this bad now wait till the end of 2012, to be honest im scared for me,my family, you people on ATS and your families and allot of others in the world, i want to live 80 years or more with my girl and our daughter i dont want it to end now, we lost eachother for five years and now where finally making up for it,this is such a scary world and it sadens me...
edit on 19/01/2011 by Tahnya86 because: typos

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
So, we're about 150 miles from the Fukushima nuclear plant. We're watching both Japanese news and Fox as well as keeping an eye on internet news. Northern Japan, including Misawa Air Base have lost power. They're telling us to conserve power in Tokyo as power may be routed from here to the north.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aisling
I'm so confused and worry we are not being told the truth. First it was an explosion and there was a "leak" now the levels are "down".
I was chastized by a poster on this thread yesterday for saying that I would not believe the power companys press releases.
I don't believe the Japanese govts reports about this either.
Come on, there has been a major explosion at a nuclear power plant that has been having cooling problems.... And the radiation levels went down now?

Okay.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
Fortunately for the Japanese the Americans are using their navy to rapidly deploy aid, so the burden isn't all placed on the Baseball League.

I laughed at that. Thank you, I needed it.

I have to say that as far the Baseball League goes, it is respectable in my book. Now I just wonder what the NFL is planning to donate..

This forum has been my primary source of news for this earthquake/tsunami/"meltdown" and I agree with the person a few posts back that pointed out that the truth comes out through all that we contribute. There is too much "hearsay" in MSM stories that really become obvious as everyone shares what they find. However, when countries try to keep the calm and quiet by covering up and lying, that is a whole other situation where no one really knows quite what to believe. I started watching that Chernobyl docu. that was linked here and I never knew just how much they covered it up. I never knew Japan had such a history of nuclear coverups either...guess that is the point huh? That could too, explain why I saw a few people interviewed with all that destruction around were talking rather candidly and even smiling like the whole thing was just a minor annoyance. Or maybe they just have some amazing constitution and attitudes.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by birdVSworm
reply to post by woodwytch

I thought that same thing about that post! First the say the roof caves in, then the videos come out of the whole thing blowing up!!

I think they are trying to make it seem like it's not as big as it really is. One second the radiation is fine, then boom, there's a leak. It went from being 100 times the normal level to 1500something on the radiation. Previous posters have stated the one hour in that is like one year of radiation and at the level fatality is at 50% I think it was.

I've pretty much been believing things after I see them confirmed by at least 3 decent sources. This thread is best as far as getting news out fast!

Hey there birdVSworm,

I think you may be right about them trying to play things down ... but that can be a dangerous game when those involved need to feel they can trust those informing everyone and making the decisions.

I agree about this thread being the best on this topic on ATS ... I looked at the others before I decided to post my questions here ... I've read every page of this one ... and whilst it has veered off track a couple of times it manages to pull itself back on line ... certainly deserves the S&F's it's received.

Woody

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

One man interviewed said, it felt like he was on a boat in the ocean, that the earthquakes seem to never stop.

That is amazing video,

www.cnn.com...

The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
pumping seawater in the reactor is there last desperate hope....
btw the 6.4 was 20 km from the reactor..

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It does make sense. When the radiation was concentrated inside the building, where the monitoring was happening, they registered as extremely high, because there was no where for the radiation to go, but to accumulate inside the building. Any measurement which occured after the explosion, reflects the remaining radiation AFTER an explosive event which likely as not propelled a large percentage (probably something like 60 % or more) of that radiation away from the site of measurement. Since the leak hasnt been going on for that long, there hasnt been time for deep contamination of the ground around the area, and that is why the radiation levels dropped after the blast.
Simply put, an awful lot of radiation got blown away from the site of measurement by the explosion. The real worry is , where that radiation is headed now, and from reports, the accepted thinking is that the cloud of matter released by the blast is being dispersed and thrown northward on the wind.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by Aisling
I'm so confused and worry we are not being told the truth. First it was an explosion and there was a "leak" now the levels are "down".
I was chastized by a poster on this thread yesterday for saying that I would not believe the power companys press releases.
I don't believe the Japanese govts reports about this either.
Come on, there has been a major explosion at a nuclear power plant that has been having cooling problems.... And the radiation levels went down now?

Okay.

I am highly suspicious too but to be fair -

Nuclear power plants are designed for the worst case scenario in their areas. The core is designed to contain radioactivity in these kinds of situations. The risk comes if this core is breached, if it is, it would be very apparent very quickly.

As i understand it, these cores are designed so that if the fuel rods burn through the floor, the material ends up in some kind of underground containment.

Judging by the commentary from a range of scientists on numerous tv stations, they are concerned but none seem to think a significant risk exists from what they know of this plant. They say that it cannot and will not become another Chernobyl.

See no reason not to believe them at this point. However, yes, i share the scepticism of the reports from Japanese Government and the plant owners.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Winds at the moment are blowing any potential radiation away from Japan and Tokyo

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
There is a bit of uplifting news though. According to news reports, we are not expected to have any winds out of the East which keeps the radiation going out over the water, not here in Tokyo.

That, and NATO folks are arriving. I'll post pics if I can.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

I agree! Hopefully between all of us on here reading all these post, we can get down to what is really happening. This is a H U G E event in history and it happening right now!!

This will forever scar the earth, I think we deserve to know the truth about things. Also the people over there have been though a lot. They will stay strong for themselves. Right now they need to be aware and ready. This obviously isn't a normal quake.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I think this says much for the Japanese - there have been no riots, no looting - hearing no reports of crime taking place.

I likely wouldn't be saying the same if something like that happened in North America.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I noticed that as well. Hopefully this will stay as sane as possible. I think crime would just be adding insult to injury at this point.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I know what you are trying to say. And I agree from stories that I have been told how nice the japanese people in the community are. Just today I heard a story of a Japanese man chasing a man down 10 blocks just because he dropped 1000 yen and he wanted to give it back to him!

The man that lost the 1000 yen was from Holland btw, I heard the story from him.

But I think is kind of hard to loot and plunder in an area where the quake hit ...

But anyway, I agree.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: Spelling // plus adding to my post

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AnnunakiX

Stay safe and keep us updated!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Wow, I am seeing reports of thousands upon thousands of people are missing....9.5k in Minamisanriku alone. People will likely never find their loved ones.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
You're not likely to see any type of looting here, but if it happened, it would be very minor. Though I'm no expert on Japanese culture, I've been here over 2 years. I can say that the Japanese are the most courteous, kind, helpful, giving people I have ever met on the planet, and I've been to over 34 countries thus far. The organization is incredible as well. One interesting tidbit of info...almost all people back their cars in parking lots. The reason is that it helps expedite an evacuation (less accidents by backing out, plus it saves time).

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I lived in Misawa Japan in the late 80's and you will not find more peaceful or generous people then the Japanese. I got stuck in the snow a few times and out of nowhere a group of Japanese folks appeared and pushed my car out. I never felt safer than I did in Japan either. I never locked my car doorss. They just don't have a crime or negative mentality.

top topics

<< 167  168  169    171  172  173 >>

join