It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 169
<< 166  167  168    170  171  172 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Magnitude 6.4
Date-Time

* Saturday, March 12, 2011 at 13:15:41 UTC
* Saturday, March 12, 2011 at 10:15:41 PM at epicenter

Location 37.261°N, 141.175°E
Depth 37.5 km (23.3 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances

* 33 km (20 miles) NE (48°) from Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
* 82 km (51 miles) SE (130°) from Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
* 113 km (70 miles) SSE (167°) from Sendai, Honshu, Japan
* 218 km (136 miles) NE (35°) from TOKYO, Japan

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 16.8 km (10.4 miles); depth +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles)
Parameters NST=366, Nph=374, Dmin=476.4 km, Rmss=0.49 sec, Gp= 50°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=8
Source

* U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Event ID usc00020na

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Dude on CNN right now with a friend in one of the nuclear reactor control rooms said that he didn't agree with what the Japanese PM has stated about no leaks, no problems to citizens, because he has been told that there have been leaks and that the power company and techs working in them are very concerned and working very hard to solve these problems. He also stated that he has personally gotten conflicting reports. One, that the core has been partially exposed and is melting down, and the other that that is not happening.

This is being covered up, per usual, by the Japanese government, and we just need to stay vigilant on the reporting here and in our best wishes and prayers for all of the citizens of that country.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm so confused and worry we are not being told the truth. First it was an explosion and there was a "leak" now the levels are "down".

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Newest report from CNN:

[8:30 a.m. ET, 10:30 p.m. Tokyo] Japanese authorities are making plans to distribute stable iodine, a treatment to prevent radiation poisoning, to residents near two damaged nuclear plants, the International Atomic Energy Agency says.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Hi woodwytch

Is there a suggestion the quake was caused by the reactor? ie the reactor was already having troubles before the quake?

That would suggest ... the the situation is a LOT worse than we currently imagine

Any sources?

peace

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I thought that same thing about that post! First the say the roof caves in, then the videos come out of the whole thing blowing up!!

I think they are trying to make it seem like it's not as big as it really is. One second the radiation is fine, then boom, there's a leak. It went from being 100 times the normal level to 1500something on the radiation. Previous posters have stated the one hour in that is like one year of radiation and at the level fatality is at 50% I think it was.

I've pretty much been believing things after I see them confirmed by at least 3 decent sources. This thread is best as far as getting news out fast!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

Greetings to you from the northeast!

No snow at the moment,but remembering back to the last heavy fall and how everything ground to a halt,it kind of puts it into perspective whats happening to those poor souls in Japan,doesnt it?
We have it easy!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
@Michael Gallegos We have no confirmation. But it is unlikely to be true. I did see a Telegraph story quoting a government official in Kurihara so I suspect things may not be as bad there as feared. www.telegraph.co.uk

About the town of 77,000

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
BBC news ticker claiming at the moment that 10,000 people missing from one town!

10,000!!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aisling
I'm so confused and worry we are not being told the truth. First it was an explosion and there was a "leak" now the levels are "down".

If you measure the air INSIDE A BUILDING.....you get an "X" reading.

Take away the building (confinement)....measure the are and you get "Y"....which of course would be lower in an OPEN SPACE.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
On Al Jazeera they have showed us 2 pic of sat pictures from the area which was struck by the EQ.

The pic before the EQ, you saw the caostline very clear. On the second pic you could see that the whole coastal area has sunk, and you could well see that the water was still standing there. If the water does not retract, that means the whole of Japan's coast sunk in the ocean for ever. That also explains the video were you see cracks in towns moving, with water gushing out of it as if it were dancing on the waves.

What if the complete coast is about to break of into the ocean, making a tsunami I cant even Imagen how big.??
And the nuclear stations going to all fall out.....

The airport in coastal city Sendai, home to one million people, was on fire, Japanese media said. "Sendai (city) is now completely sunk underwater," said limousine driver Yoshikatsu Takayabe, 52. "What do I want the government to do? I can't flush the toilet, I want the water back on in my house."

edit on 12-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

Yeah all that craziness over the core being exposed because of the reading from the area... everything increasing. Then the creepy weatherman came on that live channel acting like everything was fine, giving the weather for Japan. Then the radiation is dropping and everything is ok... Now they say that people have been reported as suffering from radiation exposure. Very odd.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Yeaaa... No. I'm more worried about what this is doing to nearby unstable faults. If these aftershocks don't let up, we could see another big one, with yet more aftershocks.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

I just brought this up. I think it's too attached to its land mass, if you get my drift (seriously no pun intended)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Do they realy think we are stupid ! I dont expect them to tell the truth because this is bad, realy bad, but come on you dont need to be a nuclear scientist to realise that a core that has overheated needs cooled now and saying it will take 2 days to cool is blatantly not true.

I personally dont expect the last line of truth because they dont know themselves what the full extent of this disaster will be. But, at the same time I refuse to agree to be stupid for them. Sadly history has been made over the last 48 hours

link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Or the ripple effect it is going to have around the whole world

link   

Originally posted by kalenga
Using the sea water as the pipes might have broke from the main water supply that supply cooling to the reactor by the earthquake.

The way I understand it, the coolant system that was in place previous to the explosion failed, causing the controlers of the plant to decide to release some pressure from the area. It is possible that this release got out of control and caused the explosion, according to the boffins on the news. Therefore using the regular coolant system was out of the question from then on, because it had already failed.

Seems as soon as water touches the container of fuel rods, it immediately steams off. So you needs loads of water to keep it cool?
This reactor will be a right off as it won't restart.

I think the only reason they are even considering using salt water, aside from its benifits of having a higher boiling point as previously discussed, is that there is no hope for this reactor ever being renewed to working and safe condition. If they were thinking of salvaging the reactor intact, they would not be using salt water, as salt water is highly corrosive, and would cause unacceptable imperfections in the workings that it comes into contact with which would render the reactor unsafe , were it to be reactivated.
As it stands, I am assuming that the Japanese are prioritising cooling, over cost saving salvage operations based on that.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Confirmed reports of explosions on 1 or more reactors+ radioactive waste being released ppl being evacuated 20km away instead of the original evacuation of 10km....not looking good!!

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

The airport in coastal city Sendai, home to one million people, was on fire, Japanese media said. "Sendai (city) is now completely sunk underwater," said limousine driver Yoshikatsu Takayabe, 52. "What do I want the government to do? I can't flush the toilet, I want the water back on in my house."

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller

Hi woodwytch

Is there a suggestion the quake was caused by the reactor? ie the reactor was already having troubles before the quake?

That would suggest ... the the situation is a LOT worse than we currently imagine

Any sources?

peace

He!! I never even thought of that senario ... that would be a nightmare

However, I'm inclined to think it was the earthquake that caused the damage to the reactor ... not the other way around ... I've certainly not heard anything to support that suggestion so far and trust me I have been pretty much glued to the news reports from several sources (mainly BBC) since it began yesterday.

That said it never hurts to look at all possibilities before eliminating the unproven ... I find it tends to give a greater perspective of the overall situation ... rather than being tunnel-visioned ... or over-enthusiastic ... both extremes can be equally as damaging in the long-run.

Woody

new topics

top topics

<< 166  167  168    170  171  172 >>

join