It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 173
<< 170  171  172    174  175  176 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
I stand corrected. About half the town's population of 20,000 people in Minami Sanriku-cho is missing- about 10,000 people. Still tragic.

This doesn't even include all the little towns and hamlets that were swept away.

You saw footage of people trying to get away by car, you know - unfortunately they would not have escaped.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Sky News ticker says japan govt say chances of more tsunamis? any news on this?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Good Morning ATS friends,just got up and turn on thie news,after shocks still hitting Japan and saw that a explosion happened at a nuclear plant and iodine being passed out,wow what more can the country take,all those poor people gone in a instant my prayers are with the people of Japan

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

That is a stark indication of the sheer scale of this event. Thanks for taking the time to aquire and arrange these images Extralien. For anyone who missed the coverage on MSM , or was not familiar enough with the local geography to realise the devastation they were witnessing on thier TV's, this series of photographs is very telling.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The devastation is incredible. The Indonesian tsunami was massive, but large cities weren't involved. This one has cities just disappeared, 10,000 populace in one city alone? I know Japan along the coasts are densely populated, I'm thinking higher than the Indonesian tsunami which was over 200,000 people.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

This site is reporting earthquake swarms in Europe, from the Black Sea area to France and Finland area. Large quakes 5.0 or better around Indonesia, Fiji, Tonga (2 of them) a global chain reaction! WOW!

The downplaying about the nuclear reactor is incredible.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Fox news just reporting 1 town has 9,500 people missing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
From Facebook:

AFN Misawa
Misawa Community- Power is slowly being restored to the local off base community. Efforts are underway to restore Misawa Air Base service. As the electrical system recovers, there may be intermittent outages, however, we look forward to having power to Misawa Air Base restored very soon.

Those folks up there have been having real problems with power for quite a while. It's getting dark, and gonna get below freezing again for them.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by woodwytch

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by MidnightTide

Yup...same report on BBC news TV... they say 10,000 but I dont think we need to quibble over 500 .

They were showing this village these people are missing from.. before and after photos.. it is shocking.

Hey there Extralien, I saw those pictures too ... it really brings home the impact of the devastation ... I can't even begin to imagine where or how these poor people are going to start to put their lives back together.

Woody

CNN (cable) was reporting moments ago that one location is reporting over 9,000 people missing.

When you look at the devastation, and realize how densely populated some of these places were, you can see how the loss of life will be massive.

The final death toll doesn't bear thinking about ... so many families effected already and still there is no respite in sight what with the uncertainty of the nuclear powerstation(s) ... relentless aftershocks ... and potential for further tsunami waves

Woody

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Here is another side by side pic from Reuters. twitpic.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dexterrules

Hmms it shows an Earthquake has hit turkey, 2.6 on the rector scale.

And another hitting California 2.3 on the rector scale.

RSOE
edit on 12-3-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by namenone1
Sky News ticker says japan govt say chances of more tsunamis? any news on this?

They are still having strong aftershock they could trigger more tsunamis

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
this is why we need the republicans TO FUND AND NOT CUT the money for early warning of tsunamis off the west coast.
the house REPUBLICANS tried to cut the funds, but the senate DEMOCRATS voted that down...i guess saving thousands of lives on the west coast is not a priority for the republicans...that's what they call wasteful spending.

here is the article that talks about this, and this isn't some left-wing blog.
www.miamiherald.com...
do the republicans even care about the people? actions speak louder than words. don't listen to what they say, see what they are planning to do.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Population list for the Cities & Towns which were along the direct impact-line of the Tsunami. Makes for some sobering viewing, and I expect the reduced figures of below 500 is just the MSM bracing the world for whats to come. Remember all these people had was 7 minutes, if that, to get to higher ground. Assuming they even heard warning of the impending Tsunami at all.

Shiogama 59,429
Natori 72,757
Kitaibaraki 47,455
Takahagi 33,624
Kashima 12,341
Iwaki 344,570
J-VILLAGE 8,230
Tomioka 54,132
Minamisoma 71,296
Sendai 1,031,704
Watari 35,132
Iwanuma 44,379
Tagajo 63,256
Scichigahama 20,803
Shiogama 59,429
Rifu 31,832

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Saw a jblogger on youtube who reported that people in the affected region are freezing - he saw a woman walking with her baby, she had no shoes, no socks.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

That is a lot of people to move to higher ground in 7 min. I hope they all got the warning in time. Thanks for getting those numbers. ATS has to be the best site on the internets. I officially haven't slept in over 24 hours because of this. How long until we get real numbers on the dead and missing, a month?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I hate to think like this but does anyone else have a bad feeling about this reactor in Japan?I have a bad feeeling this might end up even worse, I hope It's just me, but for some reason I can't get my mind off that reactor, they went from a 6 mile evacuation area to a 15 mile area plus an explosion at the plant this doesn't look good...anyone heard anything new about this reactor? I tried to look up new info but I cant tell if its yesterdays news today or if they are still indeed having issues, My thoughts are with Japan I hope everything turns out ok.

link   
1 hour to read up on the last 30 pages since i went to bed..i have been following this thread since it started. Looking at all the pictures, the dead and missing toll must be much higher than reported. no offical confermations but multiple reports of multiple thousands missing. I understand not wanting to jump the gun on casualties. and no reports of looting or anything...couldn't say that would happen in america..look at katrina. the only thing about this thread now is that there is alot of 1 line statements that need not be posted. sometimes too much info is too much but that said keep it up
i can filter thru the unecessary.. and i would rather do that than "re-lie" on just cnn.

link   
Unconfirmed report from TWITTER - Nuclear power plant - attempts to save plant STOPPED

Cooling Fails at Three Reactors
Source:
content.usatoday.com...

How would a nuclear plant meltdown unfold?

* Control rods are driven back down into the core upon emergency (if rods don’t make it all the way… trouble)
* The coolant (water) could cease if backup systems fail (electricity, pumps, generators, batteries)
* Reactor continues to produce heat
* Numerous venting valve systems would release pressure above ~1,000 psi into containment vessel
* Eventually the uranium fuel encasement metal will melt (2,200 deg F)
* Radioactive contamination then released into the reactor vessel
* Radiation escapes into an outer, concrete containment building
* Radiation escapes into the environment.

Source:
modernsurvivalblog.com...

West Coast USA Danger IF Japan Nuclear Reactor Meltdown

"...Not only would such a disaster be horrible for the local region and Japan, but other countries, namely the U.S. would be effected next by airborne radiation particles, the magnitude of which is yet to be determined.

Why would the west coast USA be in danger?
The prevailing jet stream winds are blowing from Japan directly across the Pacific ocean to the west coast of the United States. Any airborne radiation would make its way across with the jet stream, reaching the U.S. in approximately 36 hours, depending on the actual speed of the jet..."

This is not getting any better.......

Time to pray HARD.

Sirric

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
One just hit CA
? 2011/03/12 16:07:18 36.130 -120.217 10.6 CENTRAL CALIFORNIA
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Sorry if this has been covered but does anyone know of anything practical we can do to help? Link to a site taking donations for aid and assistance please someone?

top topics

<< 170  171  172    174  175  176 >>

join