It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 175
<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just caught this on CNN:
www.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

Anyone have any data on how much the axis shifted?
Moved the island of Japan 8 feet??? That is pretty major!

edit to add...

www.montrealgazette.com...

Initial results out of Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology show that the 8.9-magnitude earthquake that rattled Japan Friday shifted the earth's rotation axis by about 25 centimetres.

edit on 3/12/2011 by kroms33 because: add stuff

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
You can make "restricted donations" at any time by simply stating that your donation is only to be used for X usage. The organization doesn't have to have a specific campaign, and they don't need to tell you where your money goes, by law, unless you ask. When you just give money with no strings, they can use it for whatever they want.

But remember----how will the ARC get any help to Japan without paying their employees and bills? They can't. That's why some of the donations need to go to non-Japan things, in order to help Japan. The ARC spends a lot of money to keep its structure intact, so they can just roll up in any emergency and actually help, right away. They can't do that if everyone says "only use my money directly for this campaign." Unrestricted donations are fine if the organization is a good one. Make sure your organization is a good one, and then just give them unrestricted money. If they're cheats, they'll find a way around the restrictions anyways.

link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I will follow this instruction, but I am pretty befuddled as to why the subject ought to be broken in two. The radiological threat is a part of the unfolding drama caused by the quake , and as such belongs HERE, not in a thread of its own.

link   
reply to post by kroms33

10ft(25cm) was the last statement on BBC yesterday.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kroms33

That's been reported on this thread about 1,000 times already.

If it's not breaking news within the last 5 minutes, don't report it here. It's already been mentioned.

link   

Originally posted by Wolfcomplex
reply to post by Hermes8

Not trying to get you out of here , but maybe you have a good topic for a separate thread there? what do you think?

thanks for teh suggestion wolf
Not sure. There seems to be a lot of information being passed on here. Perhaps another thread might just cause things to get spaced around too much

but if you feel it is worth starting- I would second it, and work with it.
If you build it, he will come...

link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45
[m
, The boy in the pic is clueless as to whats going on and could very well be highly contaminated... I hope for the best. sad

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I think this says much for the Japanese - there have been no riots, no looting - hearing no reports of crime taking place.

I likely wouldn't be saying the same if something like that happened in North America.

1) It's winter in Japan too! Nobody riots when the temperature gets near freezing.

2) If they riot and loot.....there are no roads to escape with your loot....and no home to go to....and no outlets to plug your "new" appliances into.

3) on a more serious note.....the people are still in shock and the shaking (aftershocks) haven't ceased. Aftershocks measuring up to 6, btw.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Perfectenemy

Ouch. Pretty crazy.

Thanks for the quick response!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Such a tragic event, but Japan is close if not the top richest nation in the world. I would rather have my donations keep going to the countries that are poor 365 days out of the year.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Ok there. Exactly WHO are you?

Keep your thoughts to yourself - U2U me if you have any personal comments - otherwise, keep the thread on topic.

I asked a specific question, got my answer - I am not going to read 170+ pages. Stop acting like a newbie.

Oh wait... sorry, you are. Have some respect for older posters to these boards.

Axis shift 10ft.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I'm sure not everybody is going through all 175 pages to see whats been discussed, answer the person or dont, Dont tell people what to post..take a pill man.. Kroms33's post was news to me

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
M 4.4 2011/03/12 12:03:43 25.260 -109.964 10.1 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
M 5.3 2011/03/12 14:11:05 25.396 -109.652 12.1 GULF OF CALIFORNIA

I've only just started watching USGS, but are quakes of these magnitudes and depths normal?

There were a handful of these in Japan in the preceding week to the mega quake.

Also I've seen a lot of people posting that the quakes release energy, which in the most part is true

but along with the release of energy or at least the transformation of pressure energy stored in the

tectonic boundaries due to mantel convection into sound and kinetic energy, it doesn't all dissipate

through friction and heat, A lot of the energy "released" has now shifted and is stressing new or

different faults, this is evident in the immediate cluster of aftershocks, and will continue to be evident

in a further reaching range where the decrease in stress on that particular fault will result in an increase on others, tectonic mechanics dictates this.

In short, and simply to raise awareness, not to propagate fear, this is the beginning and we at ats
should be more vigilant in watching sites like USGS, preparedness is everything.

P.S theres no such thing as a microquake, only an indicator.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Just got this from a friend,

i.imgur.com...

Forgot there where such morons in the world...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DCPatriot

1) It's winter in Japan too! Nobody riots when the temperature gets near freezing.

2) If they riot and loot.....there are no roads to escape with your loot....and no home to go to....and no outlets to plug your "new" appliances into.

3) on a more serious note.....the people are still in shock and the shaking (aftershocks) haven't ceased. Aftershocks measuring up to 6, btw.

Plus it is just how they are. There is no loss for corruption and crime, it’s just they do not do the physical types that would be seen as instant dishonor, the other ways they can do invisible.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

How horrible. There are dead children out there. What harm have they ever done to anyone.
祝福日本

link   

WTF!
I´m just speechless.

link   

WOW!! that is horrible. How can people think like that. That is just crazy!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfcomplex
Just got this from a friend,

i.imgur.com...

Forgot there where such morons in the world...

Whatever happened to human compassion? The Japanese must have the greatest capacity for forgiveness
considering what the American government did in return.

Pearl harbour : Naval Establishment
Hiroshima, Nagasaki : Populated Residential Area.

Sorry for the "off-topic" post but this just outrages me.

new topics

top topics

<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join