It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 171
<< 168  169  170    172  173  174 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnnunakiX
You're not likely to see any type of looting here, but if it happened, it would be very minor. Though I'm no expert on Japanese culture, I've been here over 2 years. I can say that the Japanese are the most courteous, kind, helpful, giving people I have ever met on the planet, and I've been to over 34 countries thus far. The organization is incredible as well. One interesting tidbit of info...almost all people back their cars in parking lots. The reason is that it helps expedite an evacuation (less accidents by backing out, plus it saves time).

Sounds like a swell place to live. How do they treat foreigners?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by birdVSworm
reply to post by AnnunakiX

Stay safe and keep us updated!

Thanks. Will do.

You know what's funny...every time I stop moving (walking, running, etc), I feel like we're experiencing another quake. Many of my friends said they feel exactly the same psychological effect. The quake was pretty terrifying and lasted quite a while. You could see the ground ripple and everything...EVERYTHING moving. Spooky. For some reason the motion sticks with you.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Agreed. If you blow the containment building apart, the radiation levels inside the building will go down.

The purpose of the containment building is to keep the radiation contained. I don't believe it is doing that anymore.
I will go out on a limb and say that is a bad thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Yup...same report on BBC news TV... they say 10,000 but I dont think we need to quibble over 500 .

They were showing this village these people are missing from.. before and after photos.. it is shocking.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by diamount

I can never say enough about that. You know how you get treated with customer service at Wal-mart? Well, swing that around 180, then amplify it 1000%. Most folks don't speak English well, but they will go out of their way to understand and help you to the fullest extent possible. That's what we've seen in these 2 years.

link   
Its seem the plates are still moving a bit rest in a place

MAG 5.3 TIME: 2011/03/12 14:11:05 UTC 25.396 -109.652 12.1 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit on 12/3/11 by blackcube because: spell check

link   

And hopefully the Japanese courtesy is contagious, but I won't hold my breath.

Stay safe over there, I wish I could do more to help right now.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Just came in on twitter:

Japan nuclear plant update: Hourly radiation leaking from Fukushima is equal to amount permitted in one year, official tells Kyodo

I've asked for sources no reply yet. But have to go now. Man this is bad. And to think that the aftershocks could continue for weeks... I hope that if they will they will be minor and don't cause anymore trouble.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I do remember in high school I had a class about architecture, they said Japans buildings were made to move. This would allow the building a bit of 'give'

Never truly understood with the meant till I saw the videos of the building!! It's fascinating to see how well thing are actually holding up compared to all that could have gone even worse if they hadn't been properly prepared.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
We keep hearing about the plant in Fukushima, but what about the others in the affected area?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

This was also stated earlier in the thread. I'll back track and see if I can't find a link for the info.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet; shifted Earth's axis

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis. "At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

CNN LINK

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamount
Sounds like a swell place to live. How do they treat foreigners?

Great. I've been three times to japan, if they didn't treat me good i wouldn't have visited that country that much (like other places like egypt where you get as a woman treated like an object
)
Japan is really a great country with really nice and fun people, we had a lot of tun every time - except maybe for Hiroshima, nice people, nice city but just looking at the bomb dome gives you a really sad feeling.

It's the same feeling i have since the quakes, i made some friends in tokyo, i feared for the worst and i still do, especially now with the nuclear problems

I really hope this country and the people somehow can get out of the mess as unharmed as possible.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by birdVSworm

I'm Sorry as the tweet was just minutes old I thought I'd go ahead and post it right away.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Been watching a Japanese news channel and there was a mag 4.4 quake near Niigata at about 11:35 pm their time (ten minutes ago). I only mention it because it's on land and on the other side of Honshu from where the aftershocks have been happening -- meaning on a different fault.

Mike
edit on 12/3/11 by JustMike because: 11;35, not 25. Typo

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

Well it was totally and completely discussed on page 149 of this thread in multiple post! Sorry, some of us have been following the post sense the beginning. There is a ton being re-posted!!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Yes they are really focusing on that it seems. I'll try to find some alternative news websites / sources to see if they are focusing on other plants. But Twitter is a good source for updates, i'll try a search there.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This has probably been posted tons of times, but it's the primary site we use to see the strength of the quakes/aftershocks.

Japan Meteorological Agency

I don't think we can really feel magnitude 1 or 2, but maybe that's why it still feels like we're moving. We've been getting these almost constantly. Again, it could just be the psychological thing (that's what I think it is).

edit on 12-3-2011 by AnnunakiX because: spelling

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by birdVSworm

I did too, when I went to sleep it was at 111 and when I woke up it was at 150
so i mist it ... but thanks I 'll take a look But I don't think I can read every thing from 111 to 150, it's going so fast!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Foxnews reporting new 6.4 aftershock near the nuclear plant.

top topics

<< 168  169  170    172  173  174 >>

join