It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 168
<< 165  166  167    169  170  171 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Winds are blowing the dust from the explosion NORTH of the plant. If you live anywhere north of the explosion please stay indoors, seal your doors, windows, chimneys and if you see dust gathering do not touch it or breathe it in. We can't know how far it will travel or where it will fall but if you are north of the plant take precautions. Remember dust from Chernobyl affected grazing animals in Wales, UK. Pay attention to wind direction.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilAxis
My heart goes out to the poor souls now fighting to prevent disaster at the five massive Fukushima reactors. The one at Chernobyl was a dwarf by comparison with these. The consequence of one or more uncontained core meltdowns is almost unthinkable. I dearly hope we get away with it again. If we do, we'll carry on till the next one. If we don't, it will be a most terrible lesson.

Hello, people. I am not Japanese, but Ukrainian.
And I am from the generation that saw Chernobyl in childhood and all the consequences of the radiation: diseases of my friends and family, deaths of radiation exposion, polluted land and gigantic mushrooms, double headed cows... I can write about more...
See here more about other nuclear explosions including Chernobyl

I pray for those who saw this explosion and never wish anyone to see it again.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jonibelle

Why you so confused on Sea water ? Thats the reason reactors are build near the ocean, so they can use the sea water for cooling. 99% of reactors are like this

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
This situation is a disaster of epic proportion and in my years on this earth, I can't recall an event this devastating. It just continues to spiral out of control. From the massive earthquake, periodic aftershocks, water logged towns and cities, probably untold thousands dead, and this ever changing nuclear emergency. As bad as the other affects from this disaster are, this Fukishima nuclear emergency gives me the creeps.

...snip

And let us not forget that it's winter in Japan and high temperatures are only in the 30's

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The NHK is reporting that a strong quake has hit Fukushima in Northern Japan.
by Sharon Ho
edit on 12-3-2011 by birdVSworm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
A Jiji report says three workers have suffered radiation exposure near Fukushima nuclear plant

uk.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
nhk making a fuss over a quake close to shore. USGS has a 5.8 further out than the nhk map is showing, unless it's something else? had a live shot just before which was swaying around quite a bit.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Sky news right now. 9,000 - 10,000 people unaccounted for in the town of Minamisanriku.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by birdVSworm

Yes, just heard, a m6 aftershock, probably will be another tsunami warning....

Hope this doesnt affect the situation in the powerplant, they said it would take 5 to 10 hours to get all the seawater in...

some on ats say this is blown out of proportion, but I'm pretty worried for japan

edit on 12/3/2011 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I have been following the news since this earthquake happened and have kept-up with as many posts on the subject here on ATS as possible ... and I have a few questions;

BBC Live News has been reporting that 'radiation leaks' at the powerstation that experienced the explosion are accurate and have been officially confirmed.

They are also reporting that radiation levels 'fell' after the blast.

So my first question is this ... 'at what level was the reactor leaking radiation prior to the explosion ... and why was such a leak being constantly denied at the time ?

What are we supposed to believe ... and how can we trust the official statements that we are being fed ?

If they were really optomistic about the outcome of this explosion why on earth would they have cause to lie ?

IMHO This does not bode well for the reality of the situation.

Another thing that I felt was inaccurate was the film initially being reported to be the roof of the reactor 'falling in' ... when it was clear to see that the debri was 'exploding out'.

Not only do the Japanese government need to make the truth known to the world in order for any necessary actions / precautions to be taken ... they owe the truth to the people there who have shown that they are more than capable of dealing with trauma and disaster at a much higher level than most communities would have mustered in such devastating circumstances

The people of Japan ... and indeed the rest of the world need to know the truth as it is available ... in order to build a bond of trust with the officials so that progress can be made in the best way possible (for all concerned).

Hopefully someone can come forward and reasure me that I have misunderstood and just had a 'dizzy moment' ... if not then I think this is extremely disconcerting.

Woody

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
10,000 people missing in small town in Japan, can't remember name of it. Seems it is over half the population in that town missing!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seabas1123
Sky news right now. 9,000 - 10,000 people unaccounted for in the town of Minamisanriku.

This is exactly the sort of quote we have all been dreading.
Praying this sort of news wouldn't come, but not shocked that this may be the case.
Lets hope for the best.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dragon33

Originally posted by Seabas1123

This is exactly the sort of quote we have all been dreading.
Praying this sort of news wouldn't come, but not shocked that this may be the case.
Lets hope for the best.

EDIT: sorry never mind
edit on 12-3-2011 by Seabas1123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I just can't even imagine... My heart really does go out to everyone experiencing the devastation from this. It just serves as a reminder that we are only human, and to respect what you have while you have it!

I also think they are withholding info because they don't want to increase the panic already felt. Sad times
edit on 12-3-2011 by birdVSworm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Fukushima, where reactor explosion has taken place, an aftershock with a factor of 6 being reported now.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Again, they are repeating that a magnitude 6 quake has hit Fukushima
Via:Reuters via NHK

If accurate, this will not be good for the reactors.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

Just saw the BBC news channel report that also!

It just never ends at the moment,does it?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by birdVSworm

wow so many aftershocks in the last 10 min, 4 so far...

as for the japanese gov telling the truth, well you never know.

considering that Japan wanted to build even more powerplants, this incident doesn't come at a good time for them. Maybe they will withold information because of political and economical reasons... who knows.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by scobro

Greetings from snowy South Lanarkshire
It is minute by minute at the moment.
Hope you enjoying the snow, I am scunnered as well!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Someone 'up there' is determined to get rid of that nuclear power plant. I don't believe in fate too much, but to be hit by a 8.9 quake, Tsunami, resulting aftershock, hydrogen explosion, then a 6.4 again. damn.

top topics

<< 165  166  167    169  170  171 >>

join