It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 281
<< 278  279  280    282  283  284 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Big boom and house shook at 7:21 PM. But not a boom from up high, but low. I called the cops.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

edit on 10/1/2011 by katfish because: double post

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Have the cops arrived yet, if so
did they have an explanation for the
boom? Do you have any thoughts
on what it might have been or what
it sounded like. Doubt if it was
industry at that hour

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

Oh wow....let us know as soon as you hear something and stay safe....

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

The police are roaming the entire area-it was a loud, low explosion like you might expect from something underground. Not near my house at all, which is why the loudness surprised me.

No factories at this hour, no quarrying, and the reenactors at the county park stopped at five (they had cannons). No fireworks.

We are fine but it does remind me to expect the unexpected.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

Did you find out what happened? Maybe another gas line? I looked but couldn't find any info about last night....but I came across this from 2009
universeofmystery.com...
edit on 10/2/2011 by StealthyKat because: added content

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

as is common in this area of the country, no one is saying anything.

I actually drove the area and found nothing. It was pitch black outside and very quiet.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

There are mysterious pipelines through this area.

Curious, since supposedly the whole area is too geologically unstable to have gas lines, water lines and sewer lines.

We live in a Karst Protection District and supposedly (notice lots of "supposedly"s in this post) the area is an important watershed and aquifer landscape for this part of Missouri.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

It could have been an earthquake 'boom'. We have had them here in PA before earthquakes. Stress along a fault line causing a 'crack'? 1.9 earthquake last night at 9:14 PM CDT. 7 miles WSW of New Madrid. 4.5 miles deep. How far are you from there?

Just my guess having heard it before. We could even hear scraping for a few seconds after the booms. It was pretty eerie hearing it for the first time! I didn't even know there was a fault line close to us!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Susan, did you feel that bump about 15 minutes ago? My dogs were going off a few minutes before, and as I sat
down in front of my laptop, it fell off of the stand into my lap and the table lamp fell over next to it.

edit on 2-10-2011 by dragonlover12 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Magnitude
Date-Time
Monday, October 03, 2011 at 01:33:21 UTC
Sunday, October 02, 2011 at 08:33:21 PM at epicenter
Depth
4.4 km (2.7 miles)
Region
ARKANSAS
Distances
4 km (2 miles) W (261°) from Quitman, AR
9 km (5 miles) NE (49°) from Guy, AR
13 km (8 miles) E (86°) from Damascus, AR
36 km (23 miles) NNE (28°) from Conway, AR
71 km (44 miles) N (5°) from Little Rock, AR
404 km (251 miles) SSW (207°) from St. Louis, MO
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.5 km (0.3 miles); depth +/- 0.7 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters
NST= 14, Nph= 19, Dmin=5 km, Rmss=0.21 sec, Gp= 58°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=B
Source
Cooperative New Madrid Seismic Network
Event ID
nm100311a

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

There was just a 2.9M in Quitman. And another smaller one followed that one not long afterward.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Thanks.... I guess my email from the USGS was a little slow tonight!

I hope they are all we get

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Thanks!

I guess they are more "Fracking Quakes".

I`ll give the dogs a pass for barking tonight

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Quite likely:

Not sure about all of the indicates sites, but they a least a few have what appears to be an evaporation pond lined with black plastic and are cut into the ground.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I used to always check it there were fracking pads near the quakes. But I stopped because I would always find fracking whenever I looked. These maniacs are fracking (using water to create small earthquakes) in a siesmically active area.

Quitman. There's been a slow, but steady, stream of earthquakes over many months. Let's not forget the house that exploded in Quitman. I did a follow up but found no conclusion on what made the house explode. Also, I haven't heard any causes for the recent fish kill. I think it's all related to fracking.

What a year.
Bird kills, fish kills, earthquakes, big earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, exploding houses, more fish kills, more earthquakes...

Wait, I forgot the record heat followed by a moderate drought.
Haven't I forgotten anything else?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

I live about 200 miles due north of New Madrid, but I would say I live on the same geological MASS. One mile from the Missouri river.

I've felt the fracking quakes, and some from NM. I am beginning to be able to tell them apart.

The boom, I am convinced, was from something below ground.

Finally, it is probably a coincidence, but more bridges and overpasses in the St. Louis area are being rebuilt quickly. And a major bridge will be closing in 2012 to be totally rebuilt. My thoughts: reinforcement, and the many mini quakes are shaking the structures-destabilizing them.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

Keep us posted. If you hear any more booms take note of them and how often they are occurring. If I'm not mistaken, the last time the New Madrid cracked in 1812 they did not hear any booms prior (only during), although that is only taking just a couple of eye witness accounts and I know there was MANY.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

NO I missed that one the other day. Been on the road a lot since last Wed night, finally home just trying to catch up on needed rest.

new topics

top topics

<< 278  279  280    282  283  284 >>

join