It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 278
<< 275  276  277    279  280  281 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I just took mine outside to check....

Walked for 3 blocks in each direction, made notes, and the compared the notes to the locations on google earth.

What should be NW is reading N on the compass in all locations (and I took flight school when I was younger,and am familiar with how to read a compass

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
This is completely off topic and I am a sinner.

www.reuters.com...

I know I shouldn't laugh. It's serious, and it's an assult. I'm sure I'll be forgiven considering the bizarre nature of the matter.

Had to edit. I only laughed at the headline and only read the first two paragraphs. Now I'm know I'm going to pay for my sin. By the end of the story I was disturbed.

I, too, realize this is off topic, but this article may help explain why feet are washing up in Canada.
abcnews.go.com...

The end of the article you posted where the guy asked the woman if she wanted her feet amputated, then showed her a picture of a woman with no feet was too bizarre! Maybe he's moved to Arkansas?

OK, back to the earthquakes....

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

Did a little bit of orienteering when I was in ROTC in high school, so I am familiar with the operation of a compass and finding ones self on a map, plotting a course, and navigation by dead reckoning.

You should have a slight east declination, but you are having a fairly substantial west declination instead.

That seems significant.

I remember the thread about mis-pointing compasses a while back as I am sure many here do. Maybe it's time to revive that thread?

I can't remember if I posted in it or not, but at that time I was not experiencing any anomalous behavior with my compass.

I just went outside and set my compass on the ground oriented to north and it read true. If I recall correctly, the last time this occurred (or at least when that thread was active) the reports were centered around the Mississippi River Valley.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I took into account the declination (minimal at this location,after checking a couple of months ago at the NASA website).... I even put the compass on the pavement to read, then on grass to read (for comparisons sake).

I live within 10 minutes of Magnet Cove. I may drive there next week and do some comparisons.

I need to review the Compass thread anyway... Thanks for reminding me

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
In the very back of the yard by the pond (3 acres) it reads true, up by the house, on all sides and inside the house it reads northwest as being north. It's not as west as it was showing earlier though, it was almost showing north being completely west.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Mine is currently about 15 degrees to the west...

better than earlier!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonlover12
reply to post by Robin Marks

I just took mine outside to check....

Walked for 3 blocks in each direction, made notes, and the compared the notes to the locations on google earth.

What should be NW is reading N on the compass in all locations (and I took flight school when I was younger,and am familiar with how to read a compass

These videos might explain the differences in compass readings. It seems that solar winds are effecting the magnetosphere worldwide.... www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
KY just had a 2.4 in western part of the state. Little guy, but part of the New Madrid System.

Helicorders for KY www.uky.edu...
some of them are buggered, but Paducah Airport is a fairly clear one, look at the current jiggles! Repeated on some of the others throughout the state.

This is a good link for KY Geological www.uky.edu...

My home county was epicenter for a 5.2 in 1980, I was napping under a tree for that one about 100 miles away. Mom was 11 miles from it in a bathtub of all places. Said she didn't know whether to stay in or get out! This is the one that made me interested in New Madrid in the first place.

Happy hunting!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Looks like this could get interesting again.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Here we go again. Will be interesting to see what killed the fish this time!!!

www.fox16.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

What terrible reporting. Do they not have a research team? Both reporters forgot about the 100 000 drum that were killed at the same time as when the blackbirds fell from the sky.

The most unlikely is a parasite. They've all died in a mass kill. So, something in the water killed them. Or something lacking in the water. Meaning that something has removed the oxygen. I don't think the weather change so much to have a major temperature inversion in the water.

Also, too much oxygen can kill fish. That what was the explaination for the drum. Still on the fence on that conclusion even though I found proof it happened in the past. The cause was blamed on spillways that were opened suddenly allowing too much oxygen which caused the fish to float.

intooutdoors.com...

I took my son to Niagara Falls and we went to a museum.

Ripley's Believe it or Not!

www.reuters.com...

edit on 21-9-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Missouri just had a quake...

Magnitude 3.6
Date-Time

Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 23:32:09 UTC
Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 06:32:09 PM at epicenter

Location 36.835°N, 90.766°W
Depth 8.6 km (5.3 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region SOUTHEASTERN MISSOURI
Distances

5 km (3 miles) E (83°) from Grandin, MO
11 km (7 miles) S (189°) from Ellsinore, MO
24 km (15 miles) NNE (12°) from Doniphan, MO
33 km (21 miles) WNW (285°) from Poplar Bluff, MO
204 km (127 miles) NNW (340°) from Memphis, TN
205 km (127 miles) SSW (193°) from St. Louis, MO

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 8.9 km (5.5 miles); depth +/- 12.5 km (7.8 miles)
Parameters NST= 52, Nph= 71, Dmin=31.2 km, Rmss=1.18 sec, Gp= 25°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=6
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SusanFrey
Missouri just had a quake...

Magnitude 3.6
Date-Time

Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 23:32:09 UTC
Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 06:32:09 PM at epicenter

Location 36.835°N, 90.766°W
Depth 8.6 km (5.3 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region SOUTHEASTERN MISSOURI
Distances

5 km (3 miles) E (83°) from Grandin, MO
11 km (7 miles) S (189°) from Ellsinore, MO
24 km (15 miles) NNE (12°) from Doniphan, MO
33 km (21 miles) WNW (285°) from Poplar Bluff, MO
204 km (127 miles) NNW (340°) from Memphis, TN
205 km (127 miles) SSW (193°) from St. Louis, MO

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 8.9 km (5.5 miles); depth +/- 12.5 km (7.8 miles)
Parameters NST= 52, Nph= 71, Dmin=31.2 km, Rmss=1.18 sec, Gp= 25°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=6
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Shaking along the New Madrid.....quite a few times this week.....

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Quake watchers... Did you just see anything near Northern Alabama around 9:38 a.m. Central time, 09/23/2011? My Office windows just shook like crazy! Either it was a small EQ or Redstone Arsenal is blowing stuff up today.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 1curious1

I don't see anything, except for Texas and Missouri having small ones....

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
British Columbia is grumbling about the Canadian federal government stepping where it shouldn't - investigating fracking in Northern British Columbia. Others are saying its about time for the federal government to step in since the provincial governments have not been doing their job in a responsible way.

Fracking in Northern British Columbia

So far I have not seen anything suggesting seismicity related to fracking in northern British Columbia and Alberta. The question may be, have there been earthquakes there but because of the economic dependence on resource extraction do the provinces involved have control over the reporting and monitoring of events so as not to compromise their industry?

Another place to watch - a place where it doesn't matter because there are "no people" is the Eagle Plains area along the Dempster Highway in northern Yukon, Canada. The First Nations People of the area are however very concerned with the impacts of industrial resource extraction on their traditional land. Over the summer there was renewed interest in gas extraction from the area. The area was being actively explored up until about seven years ago then the activity dropped off. There were several reports in the news this summer about the new activity. The area is one of the seismically active bands in the Yukon. It may be interesting to see if the number events increases as the amount of fracking increases in the Eagle Plains area

Fortunately the First Nations (Gwich'in) of the Yukon and Northwest Territories are very interested in the impacts of mineral extraction, particularly its impact on water quality which they indicate will be just as important and valuable of a resource as oil and gas are. If fresh water is no longer available the quality of life they know (and we want) will be lost.

First Nations (Tetlit Gwich'in) Opposes Industrial Development

Here is a link to the Natural Resources Canada webpage that makes available seismic information.

Earthquakes Information for Canada

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
We had a Big Badda Boom (LOL) about 2:45 this afternoon, shook the house, woke hubby up from his nap, set the dogs off and took them a while to settle back down. Not sure what it was but a friend in Romance, Ar. heard it too but it did not shake them. Could possibly be the quarry set off explosion but it sounded more like it came from the west and not the northeast. Did anyone else hear or feel it that lives around the area?
edit on 24-9-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
The quake I was thinking about in 1979 actually was in 1980, and was in NorthEast Ky near Bath County. Here is the link on the damage caused.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

This was the first earthquake I had ever felt. I was standing outside with my family in our front yard. We first heard it, then felt it. It sounded like a locomotive coming with a big roar, then the ground started shaking enough to make my legs feel rubbery. It only lasted a few seconds, then was gone with the roaring sound fading.

It was a 5.2. I couldnt imagine a bigger one like a 7.0 hitting here.

Robin, how big do you think the Big One could possibly be for this area?

I remember that one well. I was living in Bath county at the time. Another one hit in 1987-88. I was at Morehead State University, next county over, it was a 4.5 then. If the "big one" hits here, I wonder if the dam (Cave Run) would hold?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
We had another large boom about 6:30 tonight. It did not jolt us as much as the one did earlier today. Still nothing on the stations showing it.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I felt a little shaking this afternoon around 300 central time near south Shelby Co. (Memphis )
A light tremor that lasted a few seconds. I had just come inside.

new topics

top topics

<< 275  276  277    279  280  281 >>

join