It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans are naturally plant-eaters

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

OP you have your facts wrong about what is "natural" for humans to eat.

As much as slaughter houses disturb me...not eating meat doesn't stop or slow them from slaughtering. We are a mass industrial society...not a small farming commune that is self sustained and only kills when absolutely necessary.

And most vegetarians these days are not healthy...not because of their choice of food necessarily...but because they decided to go vegetarian in hopes that they would lose that 200 lbs of extra body fat and magically become healthy and fit.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar

Originally posted by kalamatas
How is living in cold climates unnatural?

Go to the pole without man-made tech. Unnatural. Unnatural in the same way we would question seeing a wild giraffe in Antarctica.

So where do you think Inuit people come from??? How did they get there? Were they some white people that took a plane there and then got a little bit of sun??? Since we're animals too, why haven't the Inuit grown fur over the vast amount of time they've inhabited the Arctic. If those animal Inuits are in an unnatural environment then the Polar bears must be too. So we'd better bring them Polar Bears down here along with those crazy Inuit people.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
We chose not to? Where in 200,000 years of evolution have we, as a whole, chosen not to eat meat?

Nowhere, I've never said that. Are you delusional?

It's safe to say, however, that we didn't eat meat before we could hunt.

You did, unless you did a very poor job in wording.

Using intelligence to hunt is precisely what made us human and enabled our brains to grow.

There are no negative health effects about meat.

Very mature.

reply to post by MonteroReal

You are failing to see what I am saying, or forgetting what I have said.

You said if our bodies can process it then it means we should eat it.

I gave an example of other things we can process, but choose not to eat.

No, humans do not chose anything. Humans eat what is available to them, whether they live in Africa or in the North Pole. And it so happens that meat has always been abundant. Disease was never widespread when humans ate naturally.

Humans are animals, and animals are not picky spoiled brats with eating disorders.
edit on 22-1-2011 by PoorFool because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Listen to yourselves,fighting back and forth.There is no winners and ther is no losers !
Allways there will be men of Flesh; Allways there will be men of Land of no blood but vegetables and fruits.
Are you all idiots ? Either of you cant win.Ever.Sit and see.
Oh,and this is mostly for U.S.of A.
-F-

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

reply to post by kalamatas

Funny thing is I've been the only person posting evidence. The rest of you are assuming and posting youtube videos of TV Shows.

You're kidding right? Did you not look at any of my links? Anyone's links??? Apparently not! Do we need to go back and compile all the fact full links in one easy post for you??? It's obvious you're not worth debating with because you've failed to look at factual scientific data proving you wrong, but still continue on with silly statements like people aren't supposed to live in the Arctic. But hey, sometimes clear cognitive function is a little difficult when you're missing essential Omega 3's.

edit on 22-1-2011 by kalamatas because: typo

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Give me a healthy peice of dead animal over a monsanto crop any day, at least the animal I am eating is meant to be natural, the vegtables we are getting are now mutant strains of what was once healthy
edit on 22-1-2011 by munkey66 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

So where do you think Inuit people come from??? How did they get there?

Most likely Africa or Asia, where everyone else came from. I'm smarter than to believe they developed on a glacier.

Humans are animals...

Your colleagues would like to think otherwise.

and animals are not picky spoiled brats with eating disorders.

Name calling in a debate shows your loss of grasp. Not only that, but it's against the rules you agreed to when signing up to this website.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Vegetarians what you aren't considering is the fact that animals adapt! We have gotten our body used to eating meat and we don't get sick by eating some types of meat raw.

After graduating from chiropractic school, I made my way to a small Inuit village at the northern tip of Alaska to begin my first practice as a chiropractor. One of the most impressive memories I have of my time in northern Alaska was watching the natives haul a 20-foot whale onto the beach and divide the “muktuk” (whale blubber) into three by three sheets, one per family. I learned that the natives chopped these sheets of whale blubber into small pieces, about the size of small grapes, to be eaten raw and sometimes dipped in seal oil. In addition to whale blubber and seal oil, the natives continued to eat traditional staples such as whale meat, caribou meat, fish, and goose meat.
Source

Eating meat will not harm you unless you do it religiously. A balanced diet is ideal for living a longer and better life. A balanced diet would include meats, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. It is recommended you stay away from starches.

I bet if you took all the plants away from gorilla's they would adapt to eat meat. In example:

Like the vegetarian who can't resist the occasional burger, the otherwise herbivorous gorilla might succumb to cravings for its evolutionary cousins, a new study hints.

While some zoo specimens are known to eat meat, wild gorillas eat only plants and fruit, along with the odd insect—as far as scientists know (see video of wild gorillas feasting on figs).

But a recent study found DNA from monkeys and small forest antelopes called duikers in the feces of wild African western lowland gorillas in Loango National Park in Gabon.

The discovery raises the possibility that gorillas might have a secret meat habit—scavenging or hunting discretely.
National Geographic

Granted that there are other explanations but the article continues:

Gorillas Wouldn't Be Alone in Eating Monkeys

If gorillas do eat meat, they wouldn't be the first great apes to do so.

Chimpanzees and their bonobo cousins are known to hunt and eat other mammals, including monkeys. (See "'Loving' Bonobos Seen Killing, Eating Other Primates.")

So don't rule out the fact that animals adapt. Our bodies are complex things for us to classify as herbivores. Many herbivores can adapt to become carnivores if the right situation came along.

link   

sometimes clear cognitive function is a little difficult when you're missing essential Omega 3's.

You mean the same Omega 3's that are easily obtainable by adding flaxseed, hempseed, canola oil, and walnuts to our recipes?

Ignorance is a hell of a drug.

link   

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Funny thing is I've been the only person posting evidence. The rest of you are assuming and posting youtube videos of TV Shows.

You're kidding right? Did you not look at any of my links? Anyone's links??? Apparently not! Do we need to go back and compile all the fact full links in one easy post for you??? It's obvious you're not worth debating with because you've failed to look at factual scientific data proving you wrong, but still continue on with silly statements like people aren't supposed to live in the Arctic. But hey, sometimes clear cognitive function is a little difficult when you're missing essential Omega 3's.

He just keeps skipping over the good stuff doesn't he?
And then dares to say science is on his side.

reply to post by The_Zomar

I don't think that's what he meant. We are not simple animals, we have intelligence which enables us to forge tools, migrate, and adapt to different climates. We don't need a layer of thick fur because we can get them from other animals. We don't need claws and very sharp teeth because we have spears and cutting tools.

The argument that humans are strictly herbivores just does not hold water. Do what thou wilt but quit embarrassing yourself (and annoying the rest of us) by making such arguments and logical fallacies one after another.

Whether or not meat is bad for you (it isn't) is also irrelevant because humans have always eaten it, i.e. adapted to it. If it was that bad, we would not have survived as the most superior species on earth.

link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Animals do adapt. So why is it such a crazy idea that humans should adapt to a vegetarian diet? Factory farming has done more to hurt our atmosphere than oil's entire history. 29 thousand pounds of potatoes can be grown in the same area it takes to grow 150 pounds of meat. You people are too busy defending your prime ribs to be concerned about the atmosphere or world hunger. Makes me sick.

link   

So where do you think Inuit people come from??? How did they get there?

Most likely Africa or Asia, where everyone else came from. I'm smarter than to believe they developed on a glacier.

Humans are animals...

Your colleagues would like to think otherwise.

and animals are not picky spoiled brats with eating disorders.

Name calling in a debate shows your loss of grasp. Not only that, but it's against the rules you agreed to when signing up to this website.

But you said the only way to get there is by technical means? They ended up there somehow, and most likely as a consequence of nature. And you're saying because they aren't hairy, and don't share you're ideals it's not natural. That makes zero sense. They've been there and survived healthfully and naturally on meat. It's a simple fact, but yet you somehow fail to recognize simple facts.

And your continuing to use.....
....is an obvious marker of someone who has nothing to go on except their opinion, and perception of superiority. Your credibility has failed to rest on any facts, so all you can come up with is to laugh at other's clearly valid arguments?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

We don't need a layer of thick fur because we can get them from other animals.

You can live your life as a parasite, but I respect myself more than that.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

sometimes clear cognitive function is a little difficult when you're missing essential Omega 3's.

You mean the same Omega 3's that are easily obtainable by adding flaxseed, hempseed, canola oil, and walnuts to our recipes?

Ignorance is a hell of a drug.

You do know that there are 3 different types of omega 3's, right? DHA and EPA and ALA. The most bio-available and efficient one is DHA, found only in animal foods. The body can only process a fraction of the EPA and ALA from plants. Birds on the other hand can use them very efficiently, great for them, but we are not birds, we are humans, we are omnivores.

Ignorance strikes again.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Sometimes I wonder why we slaughter other living creatures and eat their flesh

You mean like eating the flesh of living creatures such as carrots, mushrooms and potatoes?

It is because humans must consume other organisms in-order to survive. Do plants have any less of a right to exist and experience the universe than animals?

What makes eating meat an immoral practice? If you eat free-range then the animal has not had a bad life. If we didn't eat meat then we would likely have no need for that animal and it would never have even had a life.

Eating meat is the gift of life for that animal. Eating free-range is the gift of a good life.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tulkor

And most vegetarians these days are not healthy...not because of their choice of food necessarily...but because they decided to go vegetarian in hopes that they would lose that 200 lbs of extra body fat and magically become healthy and fit.

I'm as healthy and have the same weight today as I had 6 years ago when I became a vegetarian. You're right, there is no such diet that will make you forever healthy and fit. Being a vegetarian won't do wonders, but if you do it right, won't hurt you either.

All people saying that vegetarianism will make you sick must wake up and realise that everyone, including themselves, will get sick eventually. Everyone does, and I sure don't imagine I'm going to live forever.

Originally posted by munkey66

Give me a healthy peice of dead animal over a monsanto crop any day, at least the animal I am eating is meant to be natural, the vegtables we are getting are now mutant straions of what was once healthy

You've heard of growth hormones and antibiotics injected in mass produced meat, right?

On the other hand I'm pretty sure I never ate any monsanto vegetable. I'm pretty picky i guess, and in Europe there are a lot of organic or locally produced vegetables. However even here organic meat is pretty difficult to come by, you have to struggle a little to get to it. And pay more.

link   

link   

The lack of validity is what I'm laughing at.

So far I've had TV shows presented to me as evidence.

I've been told humans aren't animals.

I've been told we should eat anything our bodies can digest.

I've been told eating raw meat is healthy.

And a couple of you would like me to believe that inuits originated from the polar ice cap.

Sometimes people on these boards are too hard to take seriously. My apologies.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join