It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
A fair look at the evidence shows that humans are optimized for eating plant foods, according to the best evidence: our bodies. We're most similar to other herbivores, and drastically different from carnivores and true omnivores.1,2,3 The science shows that the more meat we eat, the sicker we get -- heart disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, and every other major degenerative disease. If eating meat were so natural, it wouldn't destroy our health.
* Our so-called "canine teeth" are "canine" in name only. Other plant-eaters (like gorillas, horses, and hippos) have "canines", and chimps, who are almost exclusively vegan, have massive canines compared to ours.
* Our early ancestors from at least four million years ago were almost exclusively vegetarian.
* Our omnivorism means we're capable of eating meat (useful from a survival standpoint if that's all that's available), but our bodies aren't geared for it to be a normal, significant part of our diets.
* The animals most similar to us, the other primates, eat an almost exclusively vegan diet (and their main non-plant food often isn't meat, it's termites). Our teeth, saliva, stomach acid, and intestines are most similar to other plant-eaters, and dissimilar to carnivores and true omnivores.
* Among animals, plant-eaters have the longest lifespans, and humans are certainly in that category (and yes, this was true even before modern medicine).
* We sleep about the same amount of time as other herbivores, and less than carnivores and true omnivores.
* The most common cause of choking deaths is eating meat. (source) Real carnivores and omnivores don't have that problem.
Originally posted by locster
Not this again. Gorillas and hippo's eat meat. Humans were designed to eat almost everything they could get their hands on. So no, not naturally plant eaters only.
Properly planned vegan diets are healthful and have been found to satisfy nutritional needs, and offer protection against obesity, heart and renal diseases, cancer and rheumatoid arthritis
Originally posted by chiefsmom
I have to agree to disagree. Man has hunted for thousands of years. It's even documented in cave drawings. As for the gorillas and chimpanzees, from everything I've read, they do eat quite a bit of meat and have even resorted to cannibalism. I believe that many of the illnesses stemming from eating meat, come from the hormones and chemicals added to them. If you choose to become a vegan, good for you and I wish you many happy/healthy years of it, I just don't believe it is "natural" for us humans.
Originally posted by SpearMint
To prove this wrong, all you have to do is look at out teeth and digestive system.
Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
reply to post by Gradius Maximus
Sure you do, lots of fat vegetarians eh...
Well in all honesty alot of people do eat too much pasta and such and still drink alot of beer while not eating meat..
Of all the vegetarians i know NONE are unhealthy like you are saying.