It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SarahPac Called for Ariz. Congresswoman to be 'Targeted'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

It is not a purely political ploy.

The moderate voices have been warning of something like since the election, there was a HUGE rally held in D.C. a few days before the election calling for civility, and now as unfortunate as it is, this is the I told you so moment, and now it must be fixed, now that the warning have fallen on deaf ears and a tragedy has occurred something must be done to prevent it again. I am not at all calling for laws or anything of the sort.

What I want, what most people I have talked to want, is a return to personal responsibility for one's actions and to employ civility.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Even now...as we debate here...there are parallel threads where the debate is wether ATS should issue a statement. Why? Because of PERCEPTIONS as to ATS relationship with the supposed assassin and his previous posts here at ATS.

My point being...ATS had no more to do with the attempt than Palin...but in our PC world...we always have to backtrack and apologize for all things..wether responsible or not.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

So you only need to respect someone or a group of people after a tragedy? Not simply respect people, very telling.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Further, if memory serves me correct...how many threads have been here with allusions to violence and revolution against the government...threads that begin..."How Long" or "When is enough..enough?" ... or "When will we take a stand..."

By all accounts... ATS is just as responsible for any vitrollic verbage and violent outbrakes as a marker on Palin's map.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I appreciate the reply.

I don't believe that reason, the Huffington Post ran an article about this particular image a few months ago, Gabby called Palin out for this image on CNN again a few months ago, yet she didn't have an issue with it until after the shooting. If she believed that there was nothing wrong with it, and it was simply the method she chose to employ for her message, she would not have taken it down so quickly. Let it stay up, that is if there is nothing wrong with it.
edit on 9-1-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Has it been proven that he was a member? I've been sticking to the few threads I'm currently participating in. Why would ATS issue a statement? What would they issue, like a press release or something?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Has it been proven that he saw Palin's Map? Was he a political junkie and follower of Palin?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

No, ATS is not the official spokes piece for anything other than the user generated content that we users generate. SarahPAC is her official website dedicated solely to her, her opinions, and her endorsements. It is not the same.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth

It is not a purely political ploy.

The moderate voices have been warning of something like since the election, there was a HUGE rally held in D.C. a few days before the election calling for civility, and now as unfortunate as it is, this is the I told you so moment, and now it must be fixed, now that the warning have fallen on deaf ears and a tragedy has occurred something must be done to prevent it again. I am not at all calling for laws or anything of the sort.

What I want, what most people I have talked to want, is a return to personal responsibility for one's actions and to employ civility.

Of course there needs to be civility. However, that "rally" was a publicity stunt for Comedy Central.

I, too, want personal responsibility for one's actions. That is why i blame only the shooter. Not Sarah Palin, who was thousands of miles away and had never spoken to the shooter. The shooter didn't even like Palin. He was a very left leaning person who, if like other left leaning people, would have absolutely despised Palin. Therefore, i would say beyond certainty that her graphic had nothing whatsoever to do with those events.

I, too, want people to employ civility. That is why i find it so utterly disgusting that someone would waste time blaming Palin for a metaphor which the shooter, in all likelyhood, never even saw.

You see, i want what you claim to want.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

But an insane or troubled person...if they came here and read some of the posts...would they be inclined to commit an act? And since ATS distributes these opinions...are they responsible..in some manner or fashion?

A troubled youth with a BB gun...walks by a retail outlet with a BullsEye on it...and he fires at the obviuos target...who is at fault...the store or the youth?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Again, the point of this is not that Palin specifically caused the crazy man to go kill people. The point is the violent political speech that has been employed for the past two years or so is beyond inescapable. It is in the speech, it is on the news, it is on the fake news shows that news channel show, it is on political figures twitter/facebook, it is everywhere. And the fact that finally a crazy person went out and did something completely crazy is enough of a reason to call of an end of this behavior from our officials or those with aspirations of officials.

Palin has been the target, because as I said she is the prime offender. Had it been someone else, this thread would have a different title.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth

I appreciate the reply.

I don't believe that reason, the Huffington Post ran an article about this particular image a few months ago, Gabby called Palin out for this image on CNN again a few months ago, yet she didn't have an issue with it until after the shooting. If she believed that there was nothing wrong with it, and it was simply the method she chose to employ for her message, she would not have taken it down so quickly. Let it stay up, that is if there is nothing wrong with it.

That is your version of what she may have thought. However, another version would be that the political scene in America is full of libelous harpies, such as seen in various media outlets (as sourced in the OP) that would try to find a way to create political spin that would demonize her.

The only admission of guilt here is that which is perceived in the minds of the individual. She is using an oft used metaphor.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

It wasn't thast someone "finally" did it. There have been political assassinations for time immemorial. It is a part of a political culture. Et tu brute?

The best thing you can do is stop voting for the R's and the D's. They are the ones who steer the dialogue. I mean, i keep hearing things like "the gloves come off" or "the nuclear option" to describe the legislative process.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
My entire point is this...ATS is NOT responsible...Palin is NOT responsible... maps with suppossed targets are NOT responsible.

Crazy people hell bent on a violent mission ARE responsible... killings happen evryday...this time it was a Congresswoman...would Congress and the President and the Media be as concerned if it was a black youth, an illegal immigrant, a white grand mother...?

NO.... therein is the tragedy

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Of course there needs to be civility. However, that "rally" was a publicity stunt for Comedy Central.

I, too, want personal responsibility for one's actions. That is why i blame only the shooter. Not Sarah Palin, who was thousands of miles away and had never spoken to the shooter. The shooter didn't even like Palin. He was a very left leaning person who, if like other left leaning people, would have absolutely despised Palin. Therefore, i would say beyond certainty that her graphic had nothing whatsoever to do with those events.

I, too, want people to employ civility. That is why i find it so utterly disgusting that someone would waste time blaming Palin for a metaphor which the shooter, in all likelyhood, never even saw.

You see, i want what you claim to want.

For solely being a publicity stunt it sure did get people taking about this very topic, if only for the few moments it took the media to realize they had been called out as part of problem. I do not blame Palin for the murders. I do blame her, and others, for trying to create a climate of rabid fear. For all of her one subject metaphors, I have yet to actually hear a plan for how she could improve things. He will be held accountable for his actions, and put to death shortly thereafter.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

What you don't seem to understand is that ATS is different than Palin's official website, just like it is different than Britney Spears website. ATS is a user generated board, not the official board of any one person. Is youtube also responsible for him? No, because it is user generated.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

The best thing you can do is stop voting for the R's and the D's. They are the ones who steer the dialogue. I mean, i keep hearing things like "the gloves come off" or "the nuclear option" to describe the legislative process.

And that is something I can agree with.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

The only admission of guilt here is that which is perceived in the minds of the individual. She is using an oft used metaphor.

If someone painted a crosshairs or target on my name or picture or on my loved ones picture; I would take it as a threat and not a metaphor and you would too. I certainlly would be better prepared than Gabby apparently was.

From the Sheriff....

www.youtube.com...

edit on 9-1-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
I have a simple question..

I'd be interested in an explanation from Sarah Palin as to why she decided to shut down the site when the story broke if she believes there was nothing wrong with it.

She has to because the kiddies are whining about it. Adults realize that words like target are a normal part of the election process; kiddies don't yet grasp that advanced concept.

I'd suggest you try to reconcile what Palin did to what Obama said:

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said in Philadelphia last night. “Because from what I understand, folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”

www.politico.com...

A former AZ politician, JD Hayworth, was shown in the crosshairs of a sniper's weapon a while back:

nicedeb.wordpress.com...

So please, knock it of with the Palin culpability bit. Unless you want to talk about how both sides do it.

Or is it OK in your eyes because the targets I mentioned were Republicans or conservatives?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Sure, a crosshair for you and I, by some random person, would be unsettling.

But if you add in a few "modifiers", the picture changes:

if i am an elected official, and the person making the image is a political opponent that is using a metaphor for how he wants to "attack" the campaign, i become far less worried (unless his plan would win the election, anyway).

Seriously. It wouldn't bother me. But then, i am the kind of person that ignores what is said, and instead pays attention to context. Not everyone is that way. And i understand that.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join