It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

oozyism's guide to constructive discussion

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

You did attack Ooz instead of reading the OP and discussing that one didn't you? Well, just because you bunch of trolls like to divert from the message doesn't mean you can do it and not get called out on it. I didn't mean to bait you into anything, I merely used your name because you were one of the first to attack the OP, not for the post or message but because of your assumptions.

Carry on.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What a blatant attempt at getting a cheap shot in at the US, good god Oozy, your getting worse. If I ever seen you with a backpack on I would run to the hills!

You keep getting at western civilisation and forgetting that the people you are defending stone gays and de-flour children.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Oozy used a double edged sword in the op at hand...

If you don't understand what that means I can't help you.

That is not attacking him....

That is a statement of oppinion...

This whole website is not based on fact, his op is not based on fact, it is his oppinion on constructive discussion.

My oppinion of his oppinion was he used a double edged sword...
edit on 20-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

You are correct, I was too hasty and must've misread your post. My apologies. You are also correct in your assessment of this topic as a double edged sword, since well, the example used is not very befitting of the point being made, I can see this

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Cool, lets go get some fruit punch....

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Your points are pointless you are not a moderator, your connection with this site is as a member, like everyone else, you used inflamitory examples, why should anyone listen to you??

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The back and forth on this thread really made my morning! The comedic value resulting from discussion in some of the OP's threads, including this one, deserve to be placed in some sort of ATS Hall of Fame. I nearly spilled hot coffee on me reading the entire OP.

My sides... They still hurt.

edit on 12/20/2010 by mistafaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism
A good topic.

Many threads have been trolled, spammed and completely diverted and have become useless considering objectivity.

To change that, I have created this thread to discuss how we can improve our discussion, to help us end threads with conclusions rather than uncertainty.

I agree that many threads have been trolled, spammed, and completely diverted. For example: this thread.

I am a slow reader and writer. Therefore, I usually stop reading threads that have more than 8 pages or so. As I begin writing this response, there are already 6 pages. I've read the first and half of the second page. There are glaring examples of diversion.

As for threads having conclusions, I don't think that would be a reasonable expectation. Though some claims of supporting evidence may be challenged and reasonably refuted, there are usually underlying, sub-vocal (not easily put into words) reasons behind a person's position. These reasons may never actually be stated, therefore never explained or refuted. As long as these reasons remain, there is little chance for the positions to change.

The genius of forums as opposed to structured debate is that many people can interject supporting evidence or raise personally nagging feelings, (some people actually can put feeling into words), this adds in such a way that broadens the number of perspectives from which an issue is approached.
Example: "Hey, what you just said reminds me that one time I ..."

General Observations:
Forums are not formal debates. We don't win or loose. We broaden our perspective with the help of other people's input and contributions. Name calling is not productive. It makes people defensive when they should be open to fresh perspective.

Examples: "You have just been smashed!" which some posters write. That indicates a closed mind( closed as in, the only reason I posted was to beat someone,) and then concluding in their own minds that: "mission accomplished"

edit on 20-12-2010 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Just give these blowhards enough time to corner themselves and they will. Just as Slayer in the other thread and this one, just as phatpackage, dudebehindthemask, thecinic etc. etc.

Blowhards eh? Well the insults just keep coming from you eh? Corner themselves You and your buddy oozy have been well & truly smashed in this debate! Whose cornered themselves now eh? And it is not the people you mentioned! lol

Maybe ignoring them would be the best option

Looks like someone wants to take the "Wimps" way out!

it only takes a single post to touch their nerves right at the base.

Do you want to find this out yourself?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

You just gotta keep trying huh, it's okay, you can claim any person was bashed with a straight face and know you're absolutely in the wrong. But hey, let the people who read make up their own mind no?

Besides, not all the people I mentioned, I've apologized to thecinic, although I can see how you conveniently skip these things. Enjoy being deluded sonny.

Edit:

Do you want to find this out yourself?

Honestly, I don't see that happening, especially not from you. But you can try I guess...

Edit 2:

Now that is gold. I laughed for 10 minutes straight with that.

You are very easy to entertain huh...

edit on 20-12-2010 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I ever seen you with a backpack on I would run to the hills!

Now that is gold. I laughed for 10 minutes straight with that. One the best comments I have ever read on ATS cheers! But that is the emotion that comes out when people post threads on ATS with hidden agendas.

Despite what some of Oozy's budies say it is not de-railing or diversionary to the thread to point this out!. It is all related to the thred!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by boomadatigger

No, my assessment is spot on!. At least I don't try to hide agendas in what would otherwise appear legitimate threads. That is the difference I am very up front but oozy had to hide his agenda!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by boomadatigger

Man oh man you need some lessons in comprehension. Let me help you out!. What I am saying is he is free to stay there & enjoy the culture but don't denigrate "Western Culture" and live in it at the same time. Not only is it being rude to your hosts it looks very contradictory.

My point being if he sees western culture as so disgusting don't sit there belly ache about it, just leave! Otherwise I have no problem with Legal immigration!. So actual fact you appear to the racist! You have obviously made those derogatory comments about me because you have a problem with "some" Aussies?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

My point being if he sees western culture as so disgusting don't sit there belly ache about it, just leave!

What a moronic thing to say. Though it is your OPINION either way.

Would you be able to explain what freedom of speech and expression is to me? It seems as if I've not understood it, so it is okay to express your view about anything except for the political workings? Shell, shell, shell, it doesn't matter how many times you try to weasel your way out of the image you have built for yourself!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Actually my point was that its a contradiction attacking someone for being anti-something, while at the same time proclaiming your own anti-something.

And telling someone to go back to the country they come from is considered a racist statement.
edit on 20-12-2010 by boomadatigger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Ah well, I don't expect much else from you!. It's called being grateful to the the West for liberating him from the horrors of Afghanistan. It's called not "Pooping in your own nest" & it's called respect! lol got you again!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

How would you propose to better your own nation if all you do is show respect to those that abuse you? If all you do is shut up and let corrupt officials do as they please? And how can expressing your own view, which you are allowed to according to law, be disrespectful? It seems that you want to shut up anyone that does not agree with you out of some twisted moral and notion of respect...which is the very same thing you find appalling from certain Middle-Eastern regimes! Would you not agree that this is irony beyond belief?

Personally, I think you're an ill-informed individual. I bet you can't even explain how your own government functions without using google.

Define ignorance...

Edit:

lol got you again!

Only in your delusional state of mind yes. Besides that, I don't really care. Good luck star hunting...in fact, I'll star your last post because it was so ironic! No need to thank me.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Also, I would like to point out the contradiction of labeling the OP a troll, while trolling yourselves. Two wrongs don't make a right. If the OP is really what you say he is then the appropriate action would be to inform the moderators. But calling someone a troll while at the same time trolling yourselves makes ATS look bad.
edit on 20-12-2010 by boomadatigger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Your points are pointless you are not a moderator, your connection with this site is as a member, like everyone else, you used inflamitory examples, why should anyone listen to you??

So if the very same thing was posted by a moderator you wouldn't blink an eye and follow it? As the saying goes: If a moderator jumped off a bridge, would you do the same?

I thought this site was about denying ignorance, not embracing it full on!
Boo for your lousy argument.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Alright, I have been following this thread since its creation.

Let me see if I can raise the curtain as to what is going on.

First off, I am a lurker mostly. While I read daily I do not log in daily, nor post daily. For the last week or so a member has caught my eye, Oozism here.

It was the pure hatred of me that caused me to notice this person. I mean they really really hate me, and it is just because where I live! We have a word for that here in hell, we call it bigotry, but that is "off topic" isn't it Oozi?

Which is the whole point of this thread, the "real topic". The real topic is this: "Get my point in, and find a way to make dissenting opinions "off topic"".

Can no one see this but me? If that is so, maybe I AM crazy. Anyway, I better get to the "fake topic" or I am going to be dismissed as "ignorant" and "childlike" for not "reading the OP"

(Oh, by the way, when they ask "Did you read the OP?" That is a veiled insult at your comprehension skills, which doesn't seem very "constructive" to me...but what do I know...I may be crazy.)

--"Fake Topic Alert!"--

So let's see, how to stay on topic without looking like an ass...Well that is easy! Don't agree with the OPer!

Seriously, "constructive discussion"? Who gets to define constructive? I mean in every discussion (with opposing viewpoints) one of the talkers will feel that the other is "not constructive". Who is right?

Are we talking about a mutual understanding in a discussion? That is fine and dandy if the talkers are talking in a mature manner, and not making a one sided thread.........

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join