It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 5741: Mandatory 2 year Service to Federal Government

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

As far as a civilian force is concerned I don't agree with that at all. As far as reinstating the military draft I'm all for it. When I was in boot camp in 1959 I saw a few brainless lamers that were turned around and made something of themselves. They learned what responsibility was, learned a trade they could take to civilian life, they also qualified for funding a college education under the GI Bill at governments expense, more importantly it makes a Man out of a irresponsible kid.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnkiCarbone
IF they want my public service, that's not a problem. I am after all - a Patriot... and nothing would please me more than to serve my Country in such a way as to truly be a benefit.

I'll only be interested, however - if I get either of these options:

1. Be the guy that puts the official thumbtacks on the Senate and / or House seats, or
2. The one responsible for refueling Air Force One.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by EnkiCarbone]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
We need to have Americans feel like Americans. What better way than to instill allegiance to our country.

The aforementioned is a big reason why many Americans dispose themselves in being non-subject to our freedom.

Millions of Americans through time have given their lives to freedom. What is wrong with giving young men and women reason to be members (with dignity) of our great country.

Let's instill in our youth the greatness of our country. Revive our appreciation for the country in which we live.

I see nothing wrong with it. Besides, those that serve will be treated with better benefits and job opportunities than those who are abject to being strong individuals.

I mean this in no offense to you brilab, But those words sound very familiar to every speech given by a totalitarian dictator. Their stipulations being the instilling of nationalism and pride of country, the service of their citizens to glorify the country and the differential treatment for those "who play ball" to get the masses to fall in love with their ruler. Only problem with that is you always need a focus for the hatred of the country or else you lose the peoples attention. the end has never been very good for either side. And even if we do not join the armed forces it does not mean we don't contribute. If you assert your rights your ensuring your freedom and the freedoms of others through the system, that is contributing as well. To stand up for the rights of others whether its on the battlefield or within your country its all part of the contribution to freedoms and liberty.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by jam321

Exactly. Not only at the fact that this bill was proposed during the Bush administration,

Convenient omission on your part to leave out the fact that it was proposed by the democrat Rangel, and then only as a means to try and embarrass the Bush administration.

Bush was hardly responsible for the previous times this BS has been proposed.

One has to wonder if now that the dems control all branches of government, the dems motive for doing this hasn't changed to something altogether more sinister.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I can't believe HOW ANGRY I am right now...

To read the posts of some of my fellow ATS'ers who espouse ~Two years of
mandatory service to the community is a good thing. Especially if you are
lazy and in need of "help" becoming a productive citizen. Or you like to
sit on the couch and eat Cheetos and play video games.~

What kind of Kool-Aid has infected the water supply?
I wanna shout YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!

Okay fine...you have someone on unemployment. OFFER then a reasonably
paid job in community service, and if they don't take it deny their
unemployment check. THERE IS NO REASON TO REQUIRE/MANDATE
a service when we have so many unemployed.

Can you people not see history repeating itself. for God's sake it isn't
even a ancient history. This is as recent as 70 years ago in Germany!

And can't even continue, I' need a drink....

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Convenient omission on your part to leave out the fact that it was proposed by the democrat Rangel,

Well its really pointless to mention whether he was a democrat or not. This was a bill proposed on multiple occasions in the past (through the Bush administration) and it has only now received this amount of attention. Its one of those fringe bills that get no where and never will.

and then only as a means to try and embarrass the Bush administration.

No, it means that this not an 'Obama' agenda as people like you would make it out to be. Bills like these are not new and never amount to anything. They don't have the support, they don't have the movement.

Bush was hardly responsible for the previous times this BS has been proposed.

Bingo. Neither is Obama. You get it?

changed to something altogether more sinister.

Oh yes, sinister. Beware the red scare!

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Also @ OpenCongress.org
www.opencongress.org...

Sponsor
Representative Charles Rangel D-NY

Committees
* House Armed Services

I'd just like to remind everyone "persons" is a legal term for fiction. They are "strawmen" not living humans. Secondly the "United States" is US federal territory, not the 50 states.

EDIT: Oh sorry, not this time.

(5) The term ‘United States’, when used in a geographical sense, means the several States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Guam.

So not only does it really not apply to citizens of the states, in legal terms. It's also just another one of those nonsense bills to make it look like they actually work.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
i my self will back this ,now before you come at me with both barrels, let me explain, first it will put people to work, second it will train the untrained in mil drills, learn how to shoot and service your weapon, yes i will admit there will be them that can not think for them self's , most will be front line grunts, this is just fact for those that served know, sad but true, third people will know first hand how the gov works, get enough together and how knows, there just might be an over through, fourth, i will give people like me the chance to get a job, to old for the work force, to young for retirement, and to proud to file for SSI, and what to worry about they,( the TPTB) will read this and have second thoughts. so you see, we are safe for the time being. HR 5741, is as good as dead. just my view.
roast bill any one?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Ugh.

Some people need to be hanged, until they are dead. That is about all I care to say this late at night on such a matter.

I feel that I've spoken for many people, who are reading this thread, who didn't want to go beneath themselves to say such a thing. However this is coming from an Army veteran, who is frankly quite shocked and appalled at reading some of the trash coming from various posters. I would never think anyone could support such a ridiculous idea, after all this world has been through in the past 60 years alone.

You need to be ashamed of yourselves. Over the hill folks past their 40's, saying it's a good idea to forcibly draft our children in this generation and in the future into an armed force that hasn't stopped going to war since it's inception.

This is another day where I am completely ashamed to be American. Only the most ignorant trash of this country could utter such remarks in support of this bill. "If you don't support this, you're just fat and lazy."

I'd also like to take the time to point out the fact that the "avid" supporters, who sheepishly post "you'll hate me for this, but here goes" responses, are all brand-spanking new accounts. Imagine that.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Glad I got my tour out of the way. Active duty? Check. War Vet? Check. PTSD/Veteran Aid? Where's my dang check?

Seriously though. I have always been a proponent of active duty service, even a single tour in the Guard. It does teach life lessons that you never ever forget. It can make you a better person for yourself, your family, your neighbors and your career.
However, I have not been one to go around saying they should impose a draft and I certainly opposed the "Brown Shirts" plan that BO laid out in his campaign speech. That just sounds like (as others have said) the acts of a tyrannical dictator to force people into involuntary servitude.

If it goes through, it will near the end of his term and the next flunky-for-hire will have to put up with the fallout. It just works that way. Clinton gave Dubya NAFTA, Dubya gave BO Patriot Act, and BO will pass on endentured servitude.

Its OK though. There are a lot more well trained civilians over the age of 42 that can stand up against anyone that would invade their back yard.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Ha ha, I am too old, I am too old, I am too old!

Second line:

Ha ha, I am too old, I am too old, I am too old!

Me too

wait a sec.. since I am 43 does this mean that I am old and spent

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkingSleipner

Originally posted by brilab45
We need to have Americans feel like Americans. What better way than to instill allegiance to our country.

The aforementioned is a big reason why many Americans dispose themselves in being non-subject to our freedom.

Millions of Americans through time have given their lives to freedom. What is wrong with giving young men and women reason to be members (with dignity) of our great country.

Let's instill in our youth the greatness of our country. Revive our appreciation for the country in which we live.

I see nothing wrong with it. Besides, those that serve will be treated with better benefits and job opportunities than those who are abject to being strong individuals.

I mean this in no offense to you brilab, But those words sound very familiar to every speech given by a totalitarian dictator. Their stipulations being the instilling of nationalism and pride of country, the service of their citizens to glorify the country and the differential treatment for those "who play ball" to get the masses to fall in love with their ruler. Only problem with that is you always need a focus for the hatred of the country or else you lose the peoples attention. the end has never been very good for either side. And even if we do not join the armed forces it does not mean we don't contribute. If you assert your rights your ensuring your freedom and the freedoms of others through the system, that is contributing as well. To stand up for the rights of others whether its on the battlefield or within your country its all part of the contribution to freedoms and liberty.

No offense taken. I apprecite your candor and sensitive approach.

However, we live in a society where TV and Video games rule our lives. We need to be more aware of the worlds issues, yet we are blind due to our digressive behavior towards things that are of no matter. We as a country need to wake up and take a great big bright eyed look at what is going on outside our contiguous United States.

It's scary and it is very real. We have no Americanism (pride) anymore. We need to evaluate what it is to be a freedom loving country. Most of us are blind.

No.....I am not looking for a Stalinism or a Chinese style of dictatorship, nor do I wish to brain wash people into my own paradigms. I'm simply saying as a whole, Americans are brain washed by consumerism and not what is really going on in the world. We are spoiled brats on the verge of Armageddon.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
the government can't force me to do sh. i would rather do a few years in prison. s it obama.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
If Obumbles wants a fight, it is a fight he will get. And it will be bloody. If there is any merit at all to this provision, well, welcome to Nazi America. Someone needs to stop him and his cronies before it is too late.

Or is it already too late?

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I wonder if this would apply to people with medical issues such as asthma.. I've attempted to join the army before only to be turned down because I have asthma and A.D.D.

At this point in my life I would never want to join the army and any attempt to force me to do so is going to be bad for the army. If they tried to force me to join, I would rather help the enemies.

link   
We NEED this bill to pass.

How else can BigGov build an effective gun confiscation force to collect those mean 'ol weapons from our citizens. How else can we get a mandatory military draft in place to provide warm bodies for the comming world war. Your nation NEEDS you!

I'm sure those young supporters of ObamaNation during the last election are proud to step forward now and with loud voice proclaim, "Yes We Can!"

link   
I didn't believe ATS when they were comparing the U.S. to Germany over the years. I just didn't believe it. Well, that's changed. If this passes, I will know that we're merely a few years away from becoming an all-out dictatorship. I've been having this feeling for the last several months that we're going to start WW3 and the whole world is going to gang up on us, and .. we won't make it!

Great, it's nearly 2am and I'm wired with a bit of paranoia. Oh well ..

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I will have to agree with a couple members here.

Anyone that thinks this idea is a good idea, you are the types that ran the oven at Auschwitz.

Are you people this frelling ignorant.

But it will be good for the country is your excuse. What country, Nazi America?

See, this is the type of thing that gets me those red warnings on my Avatar.

Because I DO NOT SUFFER FOOLS!

You people are the same folks that would say 100% taxation would be a good thing, the same that would say power to the party, the same that would say the end justifies the means, the same that would starve a country or region to make them comply.

What the hell is the matter with you? Slavery is slavery is slavery.

ARGHHHHHHHH!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Don't see this as a bad issue , the US Gov. is going to arm the civilians and train them in military tactics, thenthat would be the time to use it against them PLUS you'll be stronger and better numbered as most of the regular forces will be abroad fighting the profitable war for oil, oops I mean't to say the pointless war against terrorism.

Besides if you don't agree I'm sure that you can claim to be a conscienous objecter and that joining a civilian force is against your humanitarianism beliefs and against your morales as you'd see yourself ( based on past Gov. actions) fighting against the very people your supposed to be protecting.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Just to be fair, sometimes the end does justify the means. I'm willing to make hardcore sacrifices in order to achieve a goal if necessary. I never understood why people say that ends don't justify the means. What are the means, and what is the end? This is all relative. Sorry, just had to comment.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join