It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Fired For Calling Watermelon Obama Fruit

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
wonder how many times he has proposed to his wife if she wants to "ride the lightning" ?

are jokes to be associated with "making fun of" ?
what is the nature of a joke ?
who throws the first stone in a racial joke ?
when is it slander and not a joke or intent to hurt or a practical joke ?

you call it gravy some call it sause to me its just food

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I think that joke is kinda funny, and enjoy racial humor... However, I also think a company should be able to fire anyone for any reason.

Plus he's an idiot for saying that at work.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GummB

Man, we all speak the same language, we all know the same stereotypes, and we all know why he called a watermelon an "Obama Fruit."

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
wonder how many times he has proposed to his wife if she wants to "ride the lightning" ?

are jokes to be associated with "making fun of" ?
what is the nature of a joke ?
who throws the first stone in a racial joke ?
when is it slander and not a joke or intent to hurt or a practical joke ?

you call it gravy some call it sause to me its just food

If there is something complimentary about taking a "slave food" stereotype and applying it to a modern day man of color, I would love to hear what it is.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dietsamcola

yes but old communist china or north korea ventured forth in simular regions of population control,

most of the planet is and has freedom of expre zion and "the right" to choose whom you follow politicly if you dwell in politics.

its not something you get fired for

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dietsamcola
I think that joke is kinda funny, and enjoy racial humor... However, I also think a company should be able to fire anyone for any reason.

Plus he's an idiot for saying that at work.

Really?

You really thought it was funny? Are you being honest or stoking the inner anti-obama? I believe the question of where the humor is has been brought up a few times only to find no answer. I love a good joke. I have no problem admitting I have laughed at an offensive joke or two in my day. I just still do not see what was funny or clever about 'I am going to enjoy my Obama-fruit.' I have a hard time believing even the grand wizard of the KKK would say it was actually "funny" but since it keeps being said. Can you explain the funny part?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HeavenlyDivine

I just need to know one thing. What was the point I purposely missed? Was it the point he called his watermelon Obama fruit and that alone makes him a racist. Also are you trying to say I am a racist person because of what I have said? If that is where you are going with this then the jokes on you. I not only have black friends and they would have laughed at the Obama fruit comment. I have also dated some ebony cuties in my time. May be you missed the point of what I had said in my post. It was a point that you can say things that someone considers racist when taken out of context. I would suggest reading the whole thread before you decide to tell someone they missed the point. Had he said the n word while calling it Obama fruit then it should be considered a racist remark, but to just call it obama fruit does not make it a racist remark or makes him a racist.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

reply to post by dietsamcola

yes but old communist china or north korea ventured forth in simular regions of population control,

most of the planet is and has freedom of expre zion and "the right" to choose whom you follow politicly if you dwell in politics.

its not something you get fired for

Since when does freedom of expression guarantee you freedom from being fired? Call your boss an A**hole tomorrow. Tell anyone in the office what sexual deeds you think would be fun with them. Freedom of expression comes with a certain level of responsibility. There are still things you can be punished for saying.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

"In my mind I was calling the president a melon head, no reference to racial whatsoever," Holly told the court.

What a total crock. Nice try though. The company took a stand, and I'm glad. People need to THINK before they propagate this kind of ignorance and hate. Racist or not, he was fishing and using a well-know stereotype to get a rise out of people. He knew this was an offensive reference. He knew damn well what he was doing and why. And to feign innocence to boot? Low. Good for the company for taking a stand. Maybe it will make others think twice, and eventually all this nonsense will end.

[edit on 7/22/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

so what is the formula for a joke then ?

so it cant be concidered slander hersay intent to hurt ?

is there even such a thing ? i mean enlighten me you seam to have the data

was my first joke not sexist refering to his name and associating it to his stamina ? or was that an acceptable joke ?

data data data give give give

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Because saying that black people like watermelon will really destroy the world. It will tear the fabrics of society apart like nothing else.

Get a grip people, put things into perspective. This guy never said to go out and grab some torches and ropes and hang all people of darker color than him; at least it's not on record that he did. A stereotypical joke is so far from racism, the idea that it upsets some of you this much is not in the least bit funny.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

obama handeled the bp spill the same way he handles his morning stool , sits back and observes the multitude of task ahead

come on

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

so what is the formula for a joke then ?

I doubt there is one but I know that humor has to be involved in the result.

so it cant be concidered slander hersay intent to hurt ?

is there even such a thing ? i mean enlighten me you seam to have the data

I never claimed to have any data. The post you are replying to is about how you cannot say anything you like without getting fired.

was my first joke not sexist refering to his name and associating it to his stamina ? or was that an acceptable joke ?

What joke is that? I guess I missed it because it was so funny.

data data data give give give

No clue what you are talking about. The reality is the freedom of expression does not guarantee you freedom from getting fired. If you can only respond by asking me for incoherent nonsense, please do not bother.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

priceless.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AHostileMe
Because saying that black people like watermelon will really destroy the world. It will tear the fabrics of society apart like nothing else.

Who said it would? I thought I was following this thread pretty closely. What page was this on?

Get a grip people, put things into perspective. This guy never said to go out and grab some torches and ropes and hang all people of darker color than him; at least it's not on record that he did. A stereotypical joke is so far from racism, the idea that it upsets some of you this much is not in the least bit funny.

Maybe you need to put things in perspective. No one is advocating this man's death or even anything more than he got. He got fired. That is perspective.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Things are getting ridiculously heated here imo. I think the main thing is know your audience. If you are at work or a work related functionm lay off the stereotypical jokes and semantics that could be offensive.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

now im stereotypical and making a joke of my self but a wiki quote

cough cough

Jokes often depend on the humour of the unexpected, the mildly taboo (which can include the distasteful or socially improper), or playing off stereotypes and other cultural beliefs. Many jokes fit into more than one category.

you see to me the joke was funny because i assosiated the melon to something big and empty / hollow , is just filled with water

not a fruit of oppression

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

What does this have to do with the topic?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

oil is brown stool is brown obama is X X X X X , is my joke not racist or how did you associated my words ?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

now im stereotypical and making a joke of my self but a wiki quote

cough cough

Jokes often depend on the humour of the unexpected, the mildly taboo (which can include the distasteful or socially improper), or playing off stereotypes and other cultural beliefs. Many jokes fit into more than one category.

Thanks chuckles but you are missing a key ingredient. Just because that which is offensive can be funny does not mean ANYTHING that is offensive is funny. The nature of sexuality pertaining to your matriarch would certainly be taboo but I guarantee I can find a way to make it not so funny to you.

you see to me the joke was funny because i assosiated the melon to something big and empty / hollow , is just filled with water

not a fruit of oppression

It still is not funny though. It is just lame. It is funny the same way "balls" and "fart" is funny to a third grader I suppose but as an adult, it is just lame.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join