It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Fired For Calling Watermelon Obama Fruit

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
Now this is one that is really interesting or at least it is to me. In the states some people refer to homosexuals as many different things and fag is one of them. Now in the UK a fag is a cigarette so if a person from the UK were to ask a homosexual man for a cigarette and ask for a fag is that a derogatory or racist remark towards them. That has made me wonder for a long time.

Gay people used to be burned along with the heretics and criminals but gay people were not even considered human so there were not allowed to burn up top with the good criminals. Instead the gay people were used in the kindling of the pyres on which the better criminals would burn. A fagget is a bundle of sticks - kindling. Fag here comes from that. Is the cigarette fag short for fagget?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harry Balsik
reply to post by evil incarnate

I have spent my entire life in America and I have never heard black people compared to egg plants. What would the comparison be, do many of them like egg plants?

It is about their skin color. Perhaps you did not know you heard it.

Moolie ref. Blacks Shortened from Melanzane, meaning "eggplant" in Italian. Eggplants have black skin.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The funny thing is that what one person sees as a racist joke another person considers it a funny joke. The human mind is hard to understand sometime.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Thanks! I just got an education.
I always wondered what Italians meant in the mob flicks when they said Moolie.

LOL, I am so dumb. I never have eaten egg plant and didnt even know they were black.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

That is like someone calling an italian a guido. Every race of man has their own words towards other races. Its funny because it is just words.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil incarnate

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent
I cant see making fun of one man being racist, or is Obama considered a race now

Its like saying Im going to eat a Nancy Pelosii pop or a Rom Paul pudding am I being racist against Whitie

Exactly! How can calling one black man the N-word be considered racist when you are just making fun of one man. You got it!

From the OPs link I never saw the so called Nword being used all I saw was Obama melon so take it as you will.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

The funny thing is that what one person sees as a racist joke another person considers it a funny joke. The human mind is hard to understand sometime.

What some people see as a sexist joke, some people see as funny. What some people see as cruel, some people see as funny. What some people see as reprehensible, some people see as funny. Then you have Jeffrey Dahmer. The mind is awesome aint it.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

That is like someone calling an italian a guido. Every race of man has their own words towards other races. Its funny because it is just words.

Well we have a real nice "little italy" within 5 miles of my home. If you would like to stop by, I will take you down there and we can see how many people enjoy you calling them guido.

Of course everyone has their own thing because we can never stop trying to find ways to denigrate, subjugate, or destroy others. Doing it as a group is just economical. Blame the drunk red man. Hate the evil greasy mobster. Watch out for the white woman hungry sex crazed dark man. Be careful of the lying white man.

I know we are all capable of hurting others and we are all capable of being too sensitive. This man proved his is not capable of behaving himself in a manner representative of the people paying him for his time.

link   
Long time ago, I drove a tractor trailer over the road (OTR) and heard some of the funniest things from the Citizens Band Radio..CB..

I heard a guy one time trying to get the attention of another driver that was going north on I-75 out of Florida.

After many repeated attempts at getting a response from the driver of this truck, to no avail, the guy on the radio says........

"Hey...You with that load of 'n-word' eggs, will ya pick up your mouthpiece"?

The guy was hauling watermelons...........lol

I thought it was the funniest thing I had ever heard....I was laughing so hard I went right by a weigh station and almost got in trouble.

Was it racist? It pissed of some and made others laugh.............hmmmmmm

If I call my neighbor a "goober", cause he is so stupid he can't fix anything around his house, and comes to me to get my "free" labor, am I gonna be arrested when I stop calling him a goober and start saying, "Ya Fkn Ngr, can you just find it inside yourself to drive your own lazy azz up to home d and get your own stuff"? Don't know.

Just about tired of it though.

peas

link   

From the OPs link I never saw the so called Nword being used all I saw was Obama melon so take it as you will.

I never said it was. I was pointing out how stupid it is to say something is not racist just because a specific name was invoked in the racism.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I'm on the right and typically don't see as many things as racist as some do, but on that story in particular? I think it would be hard given the connotation to take the comment as anything but racism.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by GummB
maybe he did deserve to be fired.

But can anyone explain to me how that is racist or offensive. Comparing a person to a piece of green and red fruit seems like a very miniscule comment. Sorry I just don't see any connection, if someone could shine some light on the situation it may be more understandable.

GummB

This is exactly what I was talking about..."How is that racist?? I dont get it"

Im sure youve never heard of a black person/watermelon stereotype ever in your life. Please. Have the moral fortitude to not take this angle to justify racism.

OK - this watermelon/black person thing is unknown to me .. what is the connection?

It must be an American thing - Ive never heard of it - seems kind of amusing when viewed from a perspective of complete ignorance - compare someone to a fruit and get fired? Lol's - I guess it must be something only Americans would understand.

I understand it, I'm British.

It's definately racist. Anyone saying otherwise is suspect

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Gotcha my bad carry on

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeavenlyDivine

Originally posted by Amagnon

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by GummB
maybe he did deserve to be fired.

But can anyone explain to me how that is racist or offensive. Comparing a person to a piece of green and red fruit seems like a very miniscule comment. Sorry I just don't see any connection, if someone could shine some light on the situation it may be more understandable.

GummB

This is exactly what I was talking about..."How is that racist?? I dont get it"

Im sure youve never heard of a black person/watermelon stereotype ever in your life. Please. Have the moral fortitude to not take this angle to justify racism.

OK - this watermelon/black person thing is unknown to me .. what is the connection?

It must be an American thing - Ive never heard of it - seems kind of amusing when viewed from a perspective of complete ignorance - compare someone to a fruit and get fired? Lol's - I guess it must be something only Americans would understand.

I understand it, I'm British.

It's definately racist. Anyone saying otherwise is suspect

Maybe the rest of the world don't understand how Watermelon and Black people connect

It's like nappies and Black people what is the deal there.

Also the fried Chicken thing.

Does everything in America have a loose sad connection to black people.
Or is it that Americans have become insecure with who they are....

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Its the same with inbreeding and hillbillys

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

reply to post by greenfruit

Its the same with inbreeding and hillbillys

What the 3 fingers and banjo playing... sort of thing.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Sorry Guys, But this can only happen in the USA....

What's NEXT!

Wana play Black Jack! oops I just got fired for playing cards on my break!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I wasn't saying that calling other folks derogatory names is funny, because it isn't.I was just saying that it was funny that a single word can get people mad enough to fight. It kind of goes back to this when I was young I would say most children said the same thing and that is sticks and stones may break my bones,but names will never hurt me. Kind of childish but it is the truth. Names have never hurt me like a stick or a stone has.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Still need to know why this is racist... because somebody said so.

Just because somebody says so , doesn't make it so.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GummB

You can tell your friend that proportionately speaking, far more whites are on welfare then blacks.

The poorest people in the nation, in Appalachia, are as poor as third world countries.

So no, his comments don't fly.

As far as the guy in the story goes; stupid to make any kind of political comment at work.period.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by nixie_nox]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join