It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Fired For Calling Watermelon Obama Fruit

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain

Well you gave your opinion a couple of times and you're not done with it. Also you stuck your nose in the buisness I have with another poster, something you can't seem to forgive me for.

I speak when I want not when someone decides to grace me with their words. I also speak on a subject as much as I want.

You are welcome to kind of take your own advice and let this go, after all you have given your opinion more than once.

Your absolutely flawed, I'd like you to go back to my posts and point out where exactly I "stuck my nose" in any business of yours before you posted to me! I didn't and you insinuated that one of my posts was including you. I've said it before and I'll say it again it's pointless to fight someone else's battle without probable cause or significant reason too. You blindly defended a person that has a man in SS uniform as his avatar, clearly your picking GREAT company too back up and I'm guessing you have significant reason to do so... correct? So if that's so and I "insinuate" things like you do then I'd expect that your a nazi sympathizer with clear cut racist ideals. Isn't it great when people take things that has nothing to do with them out of context??? Again I had nothing to say to you in the first place and still don't, so if you please I'd like you to leave me alone, your not contributing anything further to this thread except for needless bickering... THANKS!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This storys so ridiculous I'm going to get my Brother to start selling Obama Fried chicken in his restaurant. Serious racist don't make me laugh the only thing Racist about it are all the blacks who are trying to twist it into something to beat the white man down with.

I hope this guy wins in court and some common sense comes from it.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Here's the thing: While he may claim he is not a racist, he should have known what he was saying is. He should have known that others around him would find that offensive. I don't know about you, but when I hear someone say the n-word, or call Mexicans spics(which is just a slur for Hispanic and it's offensive to me directly), the last thing you want is to have to hear it come from someone's mouth over and over again. I would have had him fired and off the job site before the ink was dry on the paperwork. This man should have known better, if you want to tell jokes like this, do it on your own time.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
And- THIS is why, I ONLY hire older, white people! Plus- make them sign a contract, that ALL speach, is allowed, as long as no-one, is harrassing someone else, in MY WORKPLACE!
F! this "rascist" crapola!! I'm tired, of every person, darker than I am, constantly saying "rassist!!" (I'm, 1/4 Cherokee- however, since I've lived in the NW for 20 years, you cannot tell- I'm VERY "white") Give me 4 months, at my Ranch, in Nevada- I'll be darker, than most of the "rassist!" shouting goons!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotgal
And- THIS is why, I ONLY hire older, white people! Plus- make them sign a contract, that ALL speach, is allowed, as long as no-one, is harrassing someone else, in MY WORKPLACE!
F! this "rascist" crapola!! I'm tired, of every person, darker than I am, constantly saying "rassist!!" (I'm, 1/4 Cherokee- however, since I've lived in the NW for 20 years, you cannot tell- I'm VERY "white") Give me 4 months, at my Ranch, in Nevada- I'll be darker, than most of the "rassist!" shouting goons!

You seriously only hire old white people?
Wow.
That's just...
Well, I guess it means you can sit around and make all the inappropriate race-slandering, derogatory jokes you want without having any of those pesky coloreds getting uppity at ya, huh?

I didn't think people like you actually existed anymore.

Could this thread get more depressing!?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GummB
maybe he did deserve to be fired.

But can anyone explain to me how that is racist or offensive. Comparing a person to a piece of green and red fruit seems like a very miniscule comment. Sorry I just don't see any connection, if someone could shine some light on the situation it may be more understandable.

GummB

Basically, the imagery started as mocking African-Americans, i.e. "They're so simple-minded and lazy that they love a big sweet fruit that they can lay around and eat all day."

For you and the others who don't understand:

www.racismreview.com...

The watermelon imagery doubtless goes back into at least the early 19th century, in connection with the southern rural reality in which most black Americans lived. Whites put this mocking imagery into the white racial frame of that era. In an article on racism and popular culture, sociologists Danielle Dirks and Jennifer Mueller have commented on how old and pervasive this “watermeloning” of black Americans has been in white popular culture:

Postcards depicting black Americans in various states of childishness and need have provided some of the most interesting snapshots of white thinking and imagination of the time. As if it were an aesthetic rule, adults and children could not be depicted in any print media without being coupled with watermelons.

They interpret this mocking thus:

Although the sale of real black human beings ended in 1865 with the official demise of the state-supported US slavery system, the consumption of blackness through popular culture ideas, images, and material goods marked an easy, if figurative, transition in the Postbellum South. From blackfaced caricatures found on postcards, children’s toys, and household items to Nineteenth century minstrelsy, these examples provide only a smattering of the racist iconography and ideology found throughout Western culture. As such, images of coons, pickaninnies, mammies, bucks, and Uncle Toms were born, to live out lives distorting the image of black Americans for centuries to come.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

So, to show you're not racist, you only hire white people.

What a wonderful way to violate several state and federal labor laws.

Oh, and nice job mocking the way you think African-Americans are supposed to talk. "Rassist." Seriously?

I'm very white myself, and I have no problem calling you one.

[edit on 7/28/10 by mothershipzeta]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by winterwarlock
This storys so ridiculous I'm going to get my Brother to start selling Obama Fried chicken in his restaurant. Serious racist don't make me laugh the only thing Racist about it are all the blacks who are trying to twist it into something to beat the white man down with.

I hope this guy wins in court and some common sense comes from it.

I hope some common sense comes...but I'm afraid there wouldn't be enough left after it gets to you.

If it wasn't a racist joke, then exactly what was the joke?

Did he settle on watermelon randomly? Did he try "Obama apples" or "Obama oranges" first?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I honestly loled when I read the thread title, I think the op should be banned for posting that here.

See how stupid that sounded? America is filled with weak humorless idiologists, they swear like that man was strait up calling obama a 'n-word', notice how you got upset when I typed that even though I am not emplying that obama is a niger, is that even a word? What does it mean? Can anyone please explain in great detail what a 'n-word' is?

And who says watermelon is liked by black people only? I love eating watermelon, does that make me a wetback for eating watermelon? A watermelon eating beaner?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw

You seriously only hire old white people?
Wow.
That's just...
Well, I guess it means you can sit around and make all the inappropriate race-slandering, derogatory jokes you want without having any of those pesky coloreds getting uppity at ya, huh?

I didn't think people like you actually existed anymore.

Could this thread get more depressing!?

I knew they existed still. Heck even before that person posted you could tell they do.
Some people like to think that racism is dead because we have a black president... so we don't need anything in place to protect people from people like this person.

It's very VERY depressing which is why after a while people just dont have the energy to 'fight back' or even bother to rationalize with the person/people anymore. Which is why there are some organizations that help them with it. Some of these organizations have lost their way in greed though.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2121311Star791
I honestly loled when I read the thread title, I think the op should be banned for posting that here.

See how stupid that sounded? America is filled with weak humorless idiologists, they swear like that man was strait up calling obama a 'n-word', notice how you got upset when I typed that even though I am not emplying that obama is a niger, is that even a word? What does it mean? Can anyone please explain in great detail what a 'n-word' is?

And who says watermelon is liked by black people only? I love eating watermelon, does that make me a wetback for eating watermelon? A watermelon eating beaner?

You will find your answers you are wishing for as well as some insight if you read the whole thread.

Beware though because it is actually very depressing as CodyOutLaw has stated.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I agree with CodyOutLaw, "black skinned people" can't get over the fact that facism isn't going anywhere than they will be complaining for ever, every white person and mexican person has made a black joke before and same goes for blacks making white and wetback jokes, blacks are overly sensetive about something they know nothing about.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GummB

The reference to racism lies here.

Watermelon is a fruit that has been used as a stereotypical favorite of the Black race. It was used as a way to demean blacks for decades, as well as the perception that Blacks are prone to eat tons of fried chicken.

This is the reason why the man in question was fired for his statement.

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Cat-fruit

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GummB

You asked what makes the remark racist. I _believe_ there is some stereotype involving black people and watermelons out there and that's where the racist aspect presumably comes in. Something along the lines that black people are really into watermelon and that it is a food for black people primarily.

Well let's put it this way, you could call watermelons grown in the American South now Obama Fruits. I've seen pics with the crop damage done through corexit raining down on the crops.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Oh no! The stereotype of a black person liking watermelon! Oh noooooooo! What is more insulting and degrading than being identified as liking a certain food!?!

Since I don't know how to imbed a video (what Youtube # do they want? Where do I draw the line?), I'll link it up :

www.youtube.com...

Dave Chapelle on chicken. WARNING : May be considered offensive to black people, white guilt victims, chickens, and politicians.

Also, if anyone can tell me whether I'm racist or not, please do so. I don't think I do, but what do I know?

For the record, I DO support the company's right to fire him and don't really care either way. Just funny people can actually get riled up over a stereotype about liking a certain food.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinalTruth14
Oh no! The stereotype of a black person liking watermelon! Oh noooooooo! What is more insulting and degrading than being identified as liking a certain food!?!

Since I don't know how to imbed a video (what Youtube # do they want? Where do I draw the line?), I'll link it up :

www.youtube.com...

Dave Chapelle on chicken. WARNING : May be considered offensive to black people, white guilt victims, chickens, and politicians.

Also, if anyone can tell me whether I'm racist or not, please do so. I don't think I do, but what do I know?

For the record, I DO support the company's right to fire him and don't really care either way. Just funny people can actually get riled up over a stereotype about liking a certain food.

You aren't the first one to bring up Chappelle in this conversation.

I didn't want to bring this up because it's a whole different matter and could actually be made into a thread itself and probably has been before when his flight to Africa was in the mainstream media. I believe he made jokes about stereotypes to break away from the negative images and to encourage more lightheartedness... until he actually realized that he bit off more than he could chew. He even said that he got to a place where he wasn't sure if people were laughing for the right reasons.

Here is a place for you to start researching and reading if you haven't yet.

spring.newsvine.com...

Here is a quote from the user comments in the article.

What I find almost jaw-droppingly amazing, is that Chappelle actually never believed he was reinforcing stereotypes with his humor before that "Enlightening Moment" when a white guy (who happens to laugh with that condescending type of laugh at everything, according to people who know him) laughs a bit too loud or long.

I have ALWAYS thought Chappelle's humor reinforced stereotypes. PARTICULARLY those regarding blacks, as no white person, and very few hispanics will use the 'N' word. You can't even type it on the Internet anymore, without putting yourself at all types of risk, but it's not only allowable for people like Chappelle to say it dozens of times in his shows, he's even allowed to rub that fact in, as he did with his "parody" 50's style TV show, "The Niggahs," an "Ozzie and Harriet" type send up.

The fact that he made so many millions doing this on a regular basis has given rise to "Mind of Mencia," just the next phase in Minority Stereotype Humor. It's okay to make rude stereotype jokes of your own race, and if you're a minority, you can really say some rude things and get away with it. A sub-category of this would be the "Redneck Humor" of Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy.

Dave Chappelle did no favors to black people with his show. He reinforced the opinion that blacks are so "inferior" to whites that they don't even realize how they fit the 'N' word term by their free usage of it. I don't miss him a bit.

Although it is kinda hard to find information past the clips of his sketches since he was so popular.

//edited to add second quote-

[edit on 28-7-2010 by EminenceofAeon]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

For some reason, I can't edit my post, and too lazy to find out why, so I'll just do this instead.

Concerning the actual topic of the thread, yes the guy should be fired. If company guidelines say you can't say offensive things, then you should be punished, regardless of whether you were calling the president a moron (albeit in a lighter tone) or making a racist joke.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by technical difficulties]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
at one point i dont think he should be fired for a funny joke,even if its little racist,but in the other hand when there are countless unemployed SKILLED PEOPLE,why would positions are filled with arrogant incompetent loosers who only joke around?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This topic and some of the replies highlight the huge difference in attitudes on ''racism'' between the US and the more mature attitude of other countries, including Britain.

Some Americans get so precious about this subject and are so race-obsessed. It is my opinion that those that see ''racism'' in everything are the truly racially biased people.

Different races, cultures and nationalities' cuisine is a common source of humour, and to name just a few culinary stereotypes that are often humourously commented on:

French - smell of garlics, eat baguettes, onions and frog's legs.
Italians - pizza.
Australians - anything involving barbecuing, and also swigging lager.
Germans -bratwurst.
Dutch - cheese.
Indians, Pakistanis - curry.
Chinese - dogs.
Black people - fried chicken.

Even within the UK, there are streotypes of Northerners being ''fat, pie eaters'', and Scottish eating haggis, fried mars bars and being whisky drinkers.
There's nothing prejudiced about these if they are humourously referenced.

Watermelons, apparently, are a fruit that black people are stereotyped to like; Obama is half black; so it's only an attempted joke on that as far as I can see.
If the president was of Italian descent, and someone said ''I'm just going to out and get [president's name] food'' meaning pizza, surely nobody could be that uptight to consider that ''racist'' ? So why is this any different ?

So, there used to be some mocking depictions of black people eating watermelon in the old days ? So what ? That was decades ago. Ancient history.

Why do so many Americans seem incapable of moving on from something in the distant past ? Why perpetuate racial ''problems'' that aren't there ?

Comments about Irish and potatoes have far more of a directly offensive historical connotation than a few mocking cartoons, yet it's not uncommon to hear references made about Irish and potatoes, which a lot of Irish take in good part, because it relates to something a long time ago.

Many Americans need to take a look at their attitudes towards race, and to realise that constantly bringing up non-issues like this one is divisive and counter-productive to the anti-racist stance that they claim to hold.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join