It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Fired For Calling Watermelon Obama Fruit

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

Before things get really heated I think it is time to step away for a while and I will put that clip up as much as I feel and if it bothers you I honestly do not care. I am just stepping out before anything gets to far gone and something gets said that doesn't need to be said.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
One thing I believe some of you are in the dark about is that minorities today have to deal with things called microaggressions.

Try not being taken seriously, no expectations of being great or suceeding (therefore teachers dont put effort in teaching you to be the best you can and settling for barley passing - because you aren't going to be able to get it anyways... right?), probably living in a poor environment, and seeing stereotypes of how you are 'supposed' to behave on television.

People will treat you as though you arent as smart as 'normal people' and if you prove them wrong, they act surprised...which they aren't prepared to hide. They will call you 'one of the good ones' or 'not like the others' or even tell you that 'you speak very well!' in a condensending manner if you happen to be so lucky to be able to break out of the shell.

Also if you are able to break out of the shell you have to deal with the members of the same race as you being angry at your daring to act any different than what they believe their race is supposed to be like. The audacity to not conform in any group has consequences we all should be aware of as we are conspiracy theorists.

Going through things like that throughout life will make a person wonder if there is something wrong with who they were so unlucky to be born as... and in turn become bitter.

Some will fight back ( hence the one word can start a fight comment somebody here mentioned) while some laugh nerveously hoping for acceptance. Some will just get depressed believing in what was indoctrined in thier psyche and that they will just be only able to be 'welfare moochers'. There are other reactions that could happen as the human they are tries to adapt to the situation they were born into.

This is why stereotypical / racist / prejudiced jokes are not okay. It's not just about the past that some of you violently spew 'YOU had nothing to do with'... The indoctrination of being inferior has to stop somewhere. This is also why they hurt... its a reminder of the 'situation' they were oh so 'unlucky' to be born into and most likley reminded of every day of their miserable pathetic lives.

YES these microaggressions are THAT common if you actually venture out into the world.

edit to add:

No I don't think what is being asked of you is to feel guilty- just some sensitivity and common courtesy and respect.

(forgive spelling errors its late at night and I'm tired)

[edit on 23-7-2010 by EminenceofAeon]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

Before things get really heated I think it is time to step away for a while and I will put that clip up as much as I feel and if it bothers you I honestly do not care. I am just stepping out before anything gets to far gone and something gets said that doesn't need to be said.

I asked you to explain the racism you think is in that clip and you have to step away before you say something untoward?

Um...

Wow.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
Hell, a black friend in college called me a brown noser; I told him with that and being
hung like I am, that should make me an honorary negro.

He about # his pants laughing so hard.

I guess some stereotypes are ok to joke about. Some people are not tooooooooooo bright.

Gosh you mean a stereotype about a positive physical attribute does not get the same welcome as a stereotype based on slavery?

Really?

Ya don't say?

I guess some people just are not that bright are they.

[edit on 7/23/10 by evil incarnate]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by evil incarnate

Gosh you mean a stereotype about a positive physical attribute does not get the same welcome as a stereotype based on slavery?

Really?

Ya don't say?

I guess some people just are not that bright are they.

[edit on 7/23/10 by evil incarnate]

Zing!
Best post on the thread so far.
I can only assume that the rest of you are being deliberately obtuse.
And again, that is depressing.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
This is the problem with most "I SWEAR IM NOT A RACIST" whites. They are blatantly racist (how else could that comment be construed?) and then when they are called out on it, start screaming and kicking.

When the Missouri Supreme Court calls you a racist, you just might be one.

I am not racist but the fact remains certain fruits are associated with blacks.

Bananas are always associated with blacks and monkeys thus making them into a whole gestalt amalgam in the white mans mind.

Cotton is also associated with blacks hence the phrase cotton picking .......

Another one is coconuts and monkey nuts which are also associated with blacks.

Chocolate and coca is also strongly associated with blacks due to the brown color.

When a white mans sees a black man eating a banana it reinforces his stereotypical upbringing and makes him feel superior.

Marshmelons?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Only racist would see the black stereotype, they are racist for THINKING it was a racist comment IMO...

But I wouldn't want to say Obama-Fruit amongst some African Americans, they will be like WTF did you just say?

When will we get passed this crap, perhaps we should stop being offended by a few words...the world willl be better off

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

as you said your self , its a tastle less joke that third graders chuckle about the e.q of farts and titts

so its not an ilegal act of brakingf the law which you seam to want to promote or note

just a case of telling a joke and getting fired for it

not hearsay slander nor personal insult , but a joke

a question , can an african in africa whos not been influanced by westen stereotypical popculture make a simular remark about someone elses head over there with the reference of it being just mosty empty and filled with water like what an egg head or such or does he/she have to comply to westenized/american standards of cultural views before telling the joke in question ?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I believe that if this happened in the UK, nobody would have batted an eyelid at him calling a melon 'Obama fruit'. Until reading this thread I was unaware that blacks and melons together were racial slurs.

These days anything we say can be taken the wrong way. While playing with my nephew I often call him a little monkey as he's small and cute and hangs onto me like a monkey climbing a tree. He is white, but if he was black I'd be classed a racist for saying the same thing, just because of the colour of his skin.

That is like someone calling an italian a guido. Every race of man has their own words towards other races. Its funny because it is just words.

Would that mean that the guys who made the film Cars are racists? They have an italian character named Guido.

Originally posted by dragnet53
I love the ones that say, "I am not a racist." and yet only have white friends.

I don't class myself as a racist, yet I have no proper non-white friends. I have non-white work mates who I enjoy talking with, but don't hang out with any non-white people.

When I was growing up, in my village there was one black family, one indian family and two asian families.
The asian children were never seen outside their parent's fast food restaurants. I never saw them at school either, they probably went to a different one to myself.
The boys from the black family were part of the local drug scene along with the indian family's son and a lot of the white kids, so I avoided them all.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
So, making fun of the president Is ok, as long he his white. That looks like discrimination to me.

I would contest the décision in fédéral court.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
he shoulda said corn?

collard greens? black-eyed peas? oh yeah, fried chicken.

throw in some cole-slaw and call me obama!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Here a skit by Dave Chappelle about watermelon and chicken. (disclaimer: it contains curse words.)

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by EisLeo
Fired for that!!!

HA! What a weak world we live in.

Thats not even racist...

well, he didn't call it bush fruit...that would sound rediculous right?...but why? i think you know the reason, and that's why it's racist.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

that rocks!!! lolollol! thanks for that!

so true!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

.......I have no idea what to think about this story!! the 'word police' are alive and well.......yeah, I guess it is racist, after all.....too bad the guy had to lose his job.....wouldnt a warning have been enough? give the guy a break!!!........perhaps he could have been given a week off without pay, or SOMETHING....why are things always reacted to in such an exaggerated manner?
On another note, is that why we'll never see POTUS or his family eating said watemelon or fried chicken? bet ya we never will!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565

as you said your self , its a tastle less joke that third graders chuckle about the e.q of farts and titts

Are you just an angry little troll who replies without reading or are you really having trouble with English words? I never said it was "tasteless" I said it was LAME - NOT WITTY OR CLEVER.

so its not an ilegal act of brakingf the law which you seam to want to promote or note

What??

Seriously...

WHAT??????????????????????

When the hell did I every say this should be illegal or anyone should get arrested over it?

WHAT???????????????

just a case of telling a joke and getting fired for it

I keep asking what the joke was. Why will no one tell me? What was the funny part? Where was the humor?

not hearsay slander nor personal insult , but a joke

What was the joke? All I see is a lame attempt at a joke that fell into racist meandering but no actual joke. Maybe when you get done twisting my words, you can finally enlighten me as to the funny part.

I thought I was pretty clear that racist, not racist, I do not see the part that is funny.

a question , can an african in africa whos not been influanced by westen stereotypical popculture make a simular remark about someone elses head over there with the reference of it being just mosty empty and filled with water like what an egg head or such or does he/she have to comply to westenized/american standards of cultural views before telling the joke in question ?

Um...probably. Obviously not following along the watermelon reference is directly related to American slavery so I have no clue what you are on about.

Question: Can you write a post to me that does not put words in my mouth and is not full of spelling errors that in firefox all I can see are red squiggly lines?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

reply to post by HeavenlyDivine

I just need to know one thing. What was the point I purposely missed? Was it the point he called his watermelon Obama fruit and that alone makes him a racist. Also are you trying to say I am a racist person because of what I have said? If that is where you are going with this then the jokes on you. I not only have black friends and they would have laughed at the Obama fruit comment. I have also dated some ebony cuties in my time. May be you missed the point of what I had said in my post. It was a point that you can say things that someone considers racist when taken out of context. I would suggest reading the whole thread before you decide to tell someone they missed the point. Had he said the n word while calling it Obama fruit then it should be considered a racist remark, but to just call it obama fruit does not make it a racist remark or makes him a racist.

Oh you have black friends and had relationship with black girls, which means you're not racist.

That's original.

You are a racist. It's clear to anyone who isn't racist.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
You're absolutely right. If I were Obama, I would of fired that guy. I mean, who does he think he is, insulting Barack Obama, the American President? Sucks boo to the guy that insulted Obama
!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gaomon
You're absolutely right. If I were Obama, I would of fired that guy. I mean, who does he think he is, insulting Barack Obama, the American President? Sucks boo to the guy that insulted Obama
!!!

Obama did not fire this man, the mans company did.

He was not fired for insulting any one person in particular, he was fired for making an racial remark on company time.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by GummB

I'll assume your feigning ignorance...however,One of the traditional racist stereotypes of blacks in america associates them with an uncontrollable fondness for watermellon....also fried chicken....usually accompanied by demeaning pictures....His pretense of calling the President a mellon head is transparent ....

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join