It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Fired For Calling Watermelon Obama Fruit

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
So VERY glad that the employer fired this bigot/knucklehead. I know I would have been canned on the spot from my federal Civil Service job had I made a comment like that!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Tinkertrain

I saw your post but frankly I'm not to amused by your other comments. I'm one to praise someone for their views but I'm not one to but in on someone else's battle, so why exactly are you defending someone that has nothing to do with you? Also your first post was good I starred it.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

I don't like a holes. He obviously missed the post on the first page, which is easy to do since it is a dense paragraph without any links.

Instead of being eager to maybe teach someone he decided to be condenceding and that doesn't sit well with me.

You either educate or shut up.

Now this fellow a few posts before this ran his mouth and posted something that is educational. I won't reply to him because it really isn't worth it since he did what the first jack hole should have done.

Thanks for the star.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

yep missed the first page, guess that makes me a ignorant racist. Yes I voiced my opinion, which is just that my opinion. I don't own a horse, yes I am ignorant and can't read, because education is racist. does that clear a few things up for you?

On a serious note mr. tink, the name calling is offensive. it's very a-hole-ist. a-holes like myself deserve a life too. you are just oppressing the a-holes.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tracer7

You don't like me taking a stand for you then I suggest you hit the alert button.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Well I still stand by my stance, yet I agree I also dislike a condesending approach. I'm just not one to put my nose into someone else's debate, that's all speak when spoken too or offer your opinion and be done with it. Your welcome for the star.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

thought you were referring to me as the a-hole, thanks though. there I go not reading again.

second line

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

its only if you refer to it as such

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain
reply to post by NoJoker13

I don't like a holes. He obviously missed the post on the first page, which is easy to do since it is a dense paragraph without any links.

Instead of being eager to maybe teach someone he decided to be condenceding and that doesn't sit well with me.

You know what I do not like? I do not like it when a subject that is so easy to learn about, with information right up front, gets passed over in the eagerness to jump on some bandwagon and bash someone else. If you do not know the historical significance, you could ask like MANY MANY OTHER PEOPLE have in this thread. They all asked nicely and got an answer. The answer is on the front page and repeated in the thread.

So I do not necessarily care for people jumping into a discussion they know nothing about and yet feeling the need to OPINE about the FACTS they do not have.

My problem was that the question has been asked and answered all over this thread from the first page on. It seemed the poster had a reading problem and decided to spout off anyway so I was condescending in return. Does that make me a saint? No. Does it make you better than me?

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain
reply to post by tracer7

You don't like me taking a stand for you then I suggest you hit the alert button.

Clearly not.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Good god!

If the United States put half as much time and effort into world peace as they do into racism, we would be living in utopia.

One poster has already mentioned this, but it needs repeating...what happened to the good old days, where if somebody was offended by a comment I made, they came to me and said, "hey, that's offensive, knock it off". Then, if I didn't make changes to my behaviour, they would file a complaint.

All the ramped up BS from this is going to create more racism, not less.

The poor shmuck that got fired in this...what do you think he will take away from this, and what do you think he will go teach his family/friends?

It will probably be along the lines of "blah, blah, blah, stupid n*****'s rights, yadda, yadda, yadda". When he could have been sent home with a "wow, I made a bad call today, good thing the people around me are so understanding, and compassionate, and...(wait for it)....HUMAN, just like me".

The key to ending racism is not knee-jerk intolerance, but understanding and education.

link   

Originally posted by zerbot565

its only if you refer to it as such

What???????????????????????

Seriously now.

What?

link   
A brief cultural history of blacks and watermelons..
edgeofthewest.wordpress.com...

There was a time when watermelon was referred to as n-fruit...even a specific brand of watermelon from Florida that was sold as "n-head watermelon".

There is no doubt in my mind that this idiot was trying to be clever in declaring his watermelon "Obama Fruit"...his coworkers obviously understood the reference. Enough said.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

well this urination match has gone on long enough. thanks for the "education" I feel enlightened, in fact I may need to spread the word around because the more we talk about racism the longer it will exist.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

The poor shmuck that got fired in this...what do you think he will take away from this, and what do you think he will go teach his family/friends?

It will probably be along the lines of "blah, blah, blah, stupid n*****'s rights, yadda, yadda, yadda". When he could have been sent home with a "wow, I made a bad call today, good thing the people around me are so understanding, and compassionate, and...(wait for it)....HUMAN, just like me".

The key to ending racism is not knee-jerk intolerance, but understanding and education.

We would have to know the man to know if he was capable of such introspection. Seeing as he apparently made the comment loudly in search of laughs or approval, and his employer who knows him chose not to give him a second chance...I am not convinced he would have had the introspective awakening you suggest.

An assumption though and a valid point that there is good reason to approach these issues in other ways than "zero tolerance" ...when tolerance and acceptance is supposed to be the lesson.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53

SOB.....EXACTLY how I feel about scoiety and the way it treats me.

I'm glad somebody was able to relate to confirm what I said. I guess my post was overlooked for the most part due to the debating and fighting.

Star for you for reading!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil incarnate
[quote
You know what I do not like?

No I don't and neither do I care.

Thanks for asking though.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

I'm just not one to put my nose into someone else's debate, that's all speak when spoken too or offer your opinion and be done with it. Your welcome for the star.

Well you gave your opinion a couple of times and you're not done with it. Also you stuck your nose in the buisness I have with another poster, something you can't seem to forgive me for.

I speak when I want not when someone decides to grace me with their words. I also speak on a subject as much as I want.

You are welcome to kind of take your own advice and let this go, after all you have given your opinion more than once.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EminenceofAeon

I never overlooked your post, infact I have read it multiple times.

Here's hoping I got the meaning correct:

Any form of racism, even the smallest is bad.

It's shame you see the problem as single sided. As with any society wide problem, there is a multitude of facets, and you better address all of them, or you're just wasting your time.

So here is another side that I don't think you realized.

Say you are born to racist parents/community whatever. When you are born it is an accepted practice in your area, you grow up your whole life thinking this is "right".

Then times change, you start to see things in a different light. You try to not be racist, you really do, but anytime you make a slip up, you get "racism!" thrown in your face.

Now, are you going to continue to try and change your ways, or are you going to go find a nice familiar community with ideals like yours?

See, the problem with the knee jerk reaction of firing this guy, is this company just reinforced intolerence. You know, that stuff anti racism is supposed to be getting rid of?

I don't know if this guy is a racist or not, but this story just gave good ammo to the racist communities out there, to help indoctrinate another generation of intolerence.

I can already here the wingnuts calling..."see, they claim we are intolerent, but look who is really intolerent..."

I'm not trying to justify the guys actions, I don't know him so I can't.

I am trying to argue that this technique of ending racism through zero-tolerence will not work.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
HE SAID BLACK PEOPLE LIKE WATERMELON?!?!?!?!?! OH NOOOOOO!!!

Hopefully this man will be tortured for 10 years then hung, and as an added measure lock up his whole family incase they think black people like watermelon too.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
After reading the posts, and reviewing all of the facts that I could, including what all is going on, there are a few things that should be stated.
While a person is at work, and if there is an employee handbook, it is a good idea to follow what is in that handbook, as it is very clearcut as to what is and is not acceptable while at the workplace and any company function. This is true of most organizations and companies, no matter where you go. No matter, how much a person states, we are prejudice on one level or another, prefering one thing to another, including who we choose to associate with as oppose to another. This is a fact in the country and it is a part of the human condition. Racisim is often, these days thrown around like a common term, and it is a nightmare that no one wants to be accused of, cause it can lead to problems on all levels. However, there term Racist, racism and discrimination more and more these days are used as a weapon and a threat to get what a person wants. This creates an air of tension and fear, where people who are unjustly accused of such, are often forced to back down and revaulate their situation. When used in a political context, as it was recently by so many politicians was irresponsible and unjustified, as many of the same were equally vocal and spoke ill of the last guy in office. Ultimately, no matter who is in the highest office in the land, will have to face such disenting voices, no matter who they are from, as they will get the blame for every thing that goes wrong in the country. This is tru and must be considered. Context in the speech much be considered. If this is the first offense, then the terminiation is questionable, as it could be considered a form of reverse discrimination on the part of the upper management, towards this person. They were at a company picnic, people do talk. The question must also be asked, would they have taken such an offense if someone at the same picnic spoke and said that Obama is the worse president ever and should never had been elected to the office? Or how about a group of minorities sitting and speaking, refering to each other in a derragotry manor, can that be considered a form of racism, even though it may offend the rest of the group around? The questions are many, the facts are few, and we can only hope that this is not the start of some policy that is far worse for all of us in the long run at our own jobs.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join