It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Fired For Calling Watermelon Obama Fruit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Man fired for referring to watermelon as OBAMA FRUIT.

www.thegrio.com...

Mo. man fired after calling watermelon 'Obama fruit'

Darwin Holly, a former employee of TAMKO Building Products in southern Missouri, swears he's "not a racist" over comments he made back in May 2009.

That's when Holly grabbed a slice of watermelon at a company picnic and parked himself near a few other employees. "I'm going to sit down and eat my 'Obama fruit,'" Holly informed his shocked co-workers.

ALSO ON THIS LINK.
www.courthousenews.com...
newsone.com...
hiphopwired.com...
www.therightperspective.org...

Melon head would describe most Presidents, but I suppose when taken raciast wise, it all comes down to your personal take on the situation.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by acrux]

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Sat Jul 24 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hello any opinions from the left or the right.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Sat Jul 24 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

i would have fired him too.

dont be an idiot and people wont have to bail ya out of situations.

black guy just called me a cracker and he didnt understand he was being racist.

its ugly

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Fired for that!!!

HA! What a weak world we live in.

Thats not even racist...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Oh well, good riddance!

It makes ya wonder how the guy ever managed to get a job in the first place.

Most companies have an employee handbook explaining what sorts of policies are in place in regards to what is acceptable behavior by employees.

If the guy was too lazy to read it, and understand it, then he deserves to be out of a job!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by EisLeo

you can get fired for any reason so fired for that..? you better fn believe it.

so many non racists lookin for a job, might as well can the bigot.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
maybe he did deserve to be fired.

But can anyone explain to me how that is racist or offensive. Comparing a person to a piece of green and red fruit seems like a very miniscule comment. Sorry I just don't see any connection, if someone could shine some light on the situation it may be more understandable.

GummB

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This is the problem with most "I SWEAR IM NOT A RACIST" whites. They are blatantly racist (how else could that comment be construed?) and then when they are called out on it, start screaming and kicking.

When the Missouri Supreme Court calls you a racist, you just might be one.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
how did he not see that coming.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I love the people who don't think this is racist.

I love that the guy says "I'm not racist".

I think the main problem for most racists is that they have no clue that they are racists..they see this as normal behavior. Which is why we have the problem we have today...with a bunch of people not being able to see the blatant racism that has sprouted since Obama won the election.

Just because you say "I'm not racist" doesn't make it true...you will be judged by your actions...not a self-label.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GummB
maybe he did deserve to be fired.

But can anyone explain to me how that is racist or offensive. Comparing a person to a piece of green and red fruit seems like a very miniscule comment. Sorry I just don't see any connection, if someone could shine some light on the situation it may be more understandable.

GummB

This is exactly what I was talking about..."How is that racist?? I dont get it"

Im sure youve never heard of a black person/watermelon stereotype ever in your life. Please. Have the moral fortitude to not take this angle to justify racism.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Oh my, how DARE he vaguely imply black people like water melon?!?! Of course they dont like water melon!

Seriously though, the guy who made the "obama-fruit" comment is not a racist. The only people perpetuating racism here are the ones who cant laugh at race jokes imo, races jokes make you laugh at racism itself, rarely they are meant in a mean-hearted derogatory fashion. The funniest "black jokes" Ive heard have been from black people themselves. Its a shame this guy had to go to court over this, its also a shame thousands of our tax dollars was spent on court costs, all because some guy called water melon "obama fruit". I am gonna start calling watermelon "obama fruit" for now on too, its catchy.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by CREAM]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
Oh my, how DARE he vaguely imply black people like water melon?!?! Of course they dont like water melon!

Seriously though, the guy who made the "obama-fruit" comment is not a racist. The only people perpetuating racism here are the ones who cant laugh at race jokes imo, races jokes make you laugh at racism itself, rarely they are meant in a mean-hearted derogatory fashion. The funniest "black jokes" Ive heard have been from black people themselves. Its a shame this guy had to go to court over this, its also a shame thousands of our dollars tax money was spent on court cost, all because some guy called water melon "obama fruit". I am gonna start calling watermelon "obama fruit" for now on too, its catchy.

I like watermelon too. Are you going to start calling it "aching_knuckles fruit"? Its easy to say "Hey why cant you laugh at jokes" when you are the majority and being hurtful.

And last I checked, all the conservative whites had their panties in an uproar about racist La Raza members. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'm glad everyone isn't jumping on the... Good, another racist bigot... bandwagon.

no, I have never heard of the watermelon-black stereotype. It just seems it was blown way out of proportion. Most likely someone overheard his meaningless comment and they had a grudge on him. They probably put their sad, offended face on and ran to the first supervisor to see how much sh** they could stir up.

edit
lol i agree Obama-fruit is catchy. But I don't want to lose my job or freedom. JK

[edit on 22-7-2010 by GummB]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

how long till racism is considered a mental disability?

right up there with conspiracy theorists and pedophiles.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Seriously though, the guy who made the "obama-fruit" comment is not a racist. The only people perpetuating racism here are the ones who cant laugh at race jokes imo, races jokes make you laugh at racism itself, rarely they are meant in a mean-hearted derogatory fashion. The funniest "black jokes" Ive heard have been from black people themselves. Its a shame this guy had to go to court over this, its also a shame thousands of our dollars tax money was spent on court cost, all because some guy called water melon "obama fruit". I am gonna start calling watermelon "obama fruit" for now on too, its catchy.

I like watermelon too. Are you going to start calling it "aching_knuckles fruit"? Its easy to say "Hey why cant you laugh at jokes" when you are the majority and being hurtful.

And last I checked, all the conservative whites had their panties in an uproar about racist La Raza members. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Erm, what does this have to do with La Raza? Those conservatives who got pissed about racist La Raza members need to calm down too, they are just like the the stupid liberals who freak out about the small fringe of the tea party which is racist. I dont like racist sensationalist nonsense on either side of the spectrum. Edit - " You cant have your cake and eat it too." Whats thats suppose to mean? What do I have to do with said conservatives? Ohhh, I couldn't not think this is racist, unless I was a la raza hating conservative right?

Is Dave Chapelle being "hurtful" when he makes white people jokes? Of course not, just like when white people make black people jokes in good spirit. We(not "we" as in white people, as in me and dave chapelle) can do that because we have gotten past racism.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58e0e947ea19.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 22-7-2010 by CREAM]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Is Dave Chapelle being "hurtful" when he makes white people jokes? Of course not, just like when white people make black people jokes in good spirit. We(not "we" as in white people, as in me and dave chapelle) can do that because we have gotten past racism.

Tell you, you head down to Harlem, and start screaming crap about Obama fruit, and when a mob approaches you, say "Hey, its cool dude! Me and Dave Chappelle are past racism, so your feelings shouldnt be hurt!"

The rationaliztions I see for racism get dumber every day.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

i would like to believe you are right, but you are wrong.

if something you are sayin is negative towards a race, it is racism, not a joke.

if you happen to have black friends and you joke with them with racism, you are still being racist, regardless how tthey take it.

brcause ultimately, it may be a joke, but what you are really saying is "im superior to you as an individual to the point i can say whatever i want."

respect other people. you dont have to be racist.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Wow guys , this guys words may have not been in malicious intent, however calling watermelon "Obama Fruit" is extremely racist. Back in the day white folk had slaves(african folk). Well the slaves were really poor, cause well ,they were slaves. Watermelon was easy to grow and pretty inexpensive. Said slaves would eat watermelon, however White folks looked down on watermelon being such a low class food not to mention their feelings of the lower class african folk. They thought it was humourous that slaves ate watermelon,There are even decorations and art from this era depicting this. Google it, its really derogatory with veiled racism. So yeah this goes back a while before equal rights, when racism was rampant.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GummB

Can't say with 100% certainty, but I think it harks back to a time, when African-Americans were referred to by the "N" word (rhymes with the firing mechanism of a gun) & were stereo-typed as always eating watermelon & fried chicken.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join