It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Fired For Calling Watermelon Obama Fruit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
So I do have a question for you all though, especially those who are of any race other than caucasion.

Are they any races other than whites that are considered racist?

Is it possible to be racist against whites, and if so can one be prosecuted for it.

There is two reasons I want to ask, the first being I personally have never seen anyone other than white called racist. The second reason I ask is the town I live in is majority white but a close but community has a MUCH lower standard of living and a much higher rate of crime. Oh, and did I mention it is a Canadian Indian Reserve. Now I am completely cool with natives but when they have left their land so disgustingly littered in trash that is nearly unlivable I find that offensive. They simple cash their government issued cheque’s and drink and party. Then they come to our community, cause all sorts of problems, and have the audacity to pull the race card if anyone speak up about their behavior. I have been called cracker or whitey on several occasions. Never once have I seen a native face reproductions for racist comments, however when I was in school I seen white kids near expelled for the term brownie.

How is that less offensive than whitey, and why do we constantly have to avoid any comment about other races for fear of being considered a racist when others can overlook that so easily.

Even from a black friend, I’ll quote him. I believe I was upset about something and he said, "Your white, what have you got to be upset about. You people should be smiling all the time."

What I have to be upset about is why is it wrong to be proud to be white. I don't look down on other races but I’m still proud of who I am.

Another example, A dumb friend chose to get "white pride" tattooed on his legs. One word on each thigh. Since then everyone tells him he's an idiot (true) and we will get beat for it eventually. Would it be racist to get black or brown pride. What if he's not racist, just proud. Is that wrong?

So I don’t seem racist I’ll give an example of some of the problems they have caused.

1. Because of their excessive over drinking our liquor stores now have to close at 10 pm. ( which doesn’t concern me, I don’t drink)
2. Rubbing alcohol and mouth wash or anything with an alcohol content cannot be sold on shelves, it is sold over the counter pharmaceutical style.
3. I’ve literally had to inform the police because a group of natives huffing ( thats spraying into a bag and inhaling the fumes to get high) hair spray passed out on the rail road tracks behind my dads work.
4. We have a town curfew, anyone under 16 cannot be out after 10 pm because it is unsafe.
5. We also have the limit per capita of pawn shops, bingo halls and liquor stores.

If anyone cares enough to look into the horrible condition of the town that started this problems it name is Hobbema, and I could be wrong but I do believe it also has among the highest crime rates in Canada and we are talking about a town of under ten thousand people.

That being said I have seen some very well mannered, educated, and motivated native’s come out of the town and truly make something of them selves. It’s really sad that they have demeaned the name of native American’s around here but I find it more sad that us white people can’t do anything about it for fear of being prosecuted as a racist. We simply live in quite fear.

GummB

edit
layout
spelling

[edit on 22-7-2010 by GummB]

[edit on 22-7-2010 by GummB]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You see this is the problem this man is being called a racist because of one remark that he said. If he said this type of thing before then you would be right that he may be a racist, but for one off handed remark does not put him as a racist. For all we know he may be maried to a black woman we just do not know. If we called everyone a racist for an off hand remark then this whole country is full of racists. If this man thought that he would get fired for this remark he probably would not have said it, but there again we do not know the whole story from both sides.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The guy violated company policy and was fired for the violation. End of story. Whether we think what he did was racist or not (and I think it definitely was) is beside the point. The workplace and work-related functions are NOT free-speech zones. The company had every right to fire him, just as if he had violated any other policy like not stealing from the workplace or hitting on a subordinate.

He can now make a sandwich board with a big slice of watermelon and Obama's face with the words "Obama Fruit" and parade around looking for another job. It's his right. But that doesn't mean he'll get a job.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ok then here is a remark from President Obama that could be considered racist toward hispanics in Arizona.

www.youtube.com...

I guess we need to fire the president for being a racist also. So a single remark doesn't make you a racist. If they do then get the termination papers ready for Obama.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Well it did turn out he wasnt talking about race and was calling obama a melon head, thats why he got his job back.

Um...yeah...that is what he said in court. If he wanted to call him a melon head....call him a melon head....or say I'm going to eat Obama-head-fruit.

And all accounts I read, he didn't get his job back...the courts ruled that he was fired justly and denied him unemployment. Do you have a source saying he got his job back?

But it think its pretty obvious the guy in the story was not a racist, the melon-head comment makes more sense then him saying a race comment in front of his co-workers.

Really??? How would you know that? To me, there is no other way to take what he said. And if he actually didn't mean it in a racist way...I would fire him for being to stupid to realize that equating watermelon with a black person MAY SOUND RACIST.

You can try to justify his actions all you want...it isn't going to change that what he said did have racial tones to it. If you think it was just "funny"...then that doesn't mean you are "over racism"...it means you just don't see racism and how it is damaging to those being discriminated only because of their skin color...hence you don't see a problem with it and just think it is "funny".

Since none of us here know him, it just really (Im being serious) disturbs me that people will be so quick to call him a racist.

It disturbs me some people are so willing and eager to defend racism...even in a blatant form as this.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Which part was racist towards hispanics in that clip?

Again...this just proves to me that there are some people that really have no idea what racism is.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I didnt grow up in the mainland, and after leaving the Pacific, I spent all but the last few months in New Mexico. So all my life I have lived in brown majority states, both of which have little white on black racism. Even I know the stereotype about blacks and watermelons. For him to pretend he was unclear or unsure that people would take it that way seems disingenuous. Even if he was meaning it as "melon head" he is an idiot. He should have used a cantaloupe for that comparison, shouldnt he?

And, just so you know, racists can and do marry people of other races. I have met blacks who only date and/or are married to white women who are clearly racist towards whites. And I have met whites married to various ethnic groups who are also clearly and openly racist. Some people get some satisfaction out of "taking" a woman from the other team, and subjugating her. (a lot of these types of racists also dont treat the woman like an equal and it gives them a target for their hostility that probably wont report them) JUST the fact that you date or marry or sleep with people of other ethnicities does not mean you arent racist.

Though I am not saying all people who date and marry inter racially are so motivated, I have seen it happen.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

So let see there is a new immigration law in Arizona and one of the big things is having show their papers when they get pulled over by law enforcement. Now Obama said that and I quote" we all know what happens in Arizona when you don't show your id Adios Amigos" sound pretty racist to me toward hispanics and the immigration laws. What do I not understand about racism. You do not have to say mexican or hipanic the underlying tone of the remark is there.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by tsurfer2000h]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Here is the youtube video that I found with Obama and an off hand comment he made about McCain in Arizona. Though he did not single out a certain race the context of the statement could be considered racist by some. What is your opinion on this comment?

www.youtube.com...

This could be considered just as bad as what this man said about Obama melon.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...[yvid]TFZ4dvZ-1mQ[yvid]

Can we say this is racist remarks? It seems like it could be depending on who you ask. I think it is just as racist as the remark made from the man who was fired. Please lets hear what your thoughts are on this.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanObanion

here comes another guilt trip served with a side of idiocy. how about you go a little further back in history to the time when blacks had white slaves. i bet you won't be figuring that into your little equation will you?

or what about the 700,000 white indentured servants sent over from england to build the colonies?

i s'pose that won't fit into your world view either. and let me guess, you're white right? just another white person fed to the teeth with guilt. you've already derailed this topic enough begging for attention. give it a rest.

the watermelon comment was not racist, it was bigotry plain and simple. however at a workplace it does seem to cross the line. the blacks and mexicans will be jsut as racist/bigoted behind closed doors and hold grudges against whites. it's human nature. get off your high horse and quit slopping up all this white guilt. it's really really stupid.

When blacks had white slaves....tell you what, when that country with a majority black population that had minority population white slaves becomes a massive superpower and whites are living in ghettos and on reservations, call me, and we can discuss it then. As it stands, this is the way it is now, and it is because of the way it was then.

Maybe if more whites did feel guilty, we could actually move to a reconciliation and get over this shameful display of justification of racism.

Also, please explain how the watermelon comment was "bigotry" but not "racism". That should be a doozy.

By the way, not that it is any of your business, but Im mixed race. SO take your "white shame" talking point elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

No, I dont. He was using Spanish, and he was referring to the immigration policy, but that in itself isnt racist. And I am not an Obama zombie, I dont like him any more than I like the Republicans, so I am not just defending him.

He plays the race card, trying to make it sound like the policy to keep illegals out racist. And the pastor of that church he attended sure did sound racist. But that particular comment doesnt strike me as racist. More like he is implying that the law itself targets Mexicans. (And any move to make it more difficult to work here as an illegal does disproportionately affect Mexicans, not because of racism, but because they make up the biggest percentage of illegal immigrants.)

So, I dont agree with what he is saying, I think it is deliberately skewing the issue of illegal immigration by trying to link it to racism, but his comment is not racist to Mexicans. That I would call playing the race card.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

So let see there is a new immigration law in Arizona and one of the big things is having show their papers when they get pulled over by law enforcement. Now Obama said that and I quote" we all know what happens in Arizona when you don't show your id Adios Amigos" sound pretty racist to me toward hispanics and the immigration laws. What do I not understand about racism. You do not have to say mexican or hipanic the underlying tone of the remark is there.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by tsurfer2000h]

No...it is not racist towards hispanics....AT ALL. If anything...it is in support of hispanics and against the immigration law.

So yes...I still say you really don't understand racism very well.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

He should be fired for 'Denegrating' the Watermelon! Now I feel sorry for all Watermelons.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

When blacks had white slaves....tell you what, when that country with a majority black population that had minority population white slaves becomes a massive superpower and whites are living in ghettos and on reservations, call me, and we can discuss it then. As it stands, this is the way it is now, and it is because of the way it was then.

Not entirely. Americas wealth and economic power is NOT all because of slavery. And this is clear in the south. The south should be some of the richest states in the nation with white people living in luxury and blacks in abject poverty. I dont see that. The Southeast is underperforming the Northeast, and I have never seen so much white poverty in my life. (Lots of black poverty too) Americas economic growth had to do with a lot of things, not only the use of slavery. Lets not forget that other countries used slavery too, and they did not all end up in Americas shoes. You are attributing everything to one factor when in fact, there were many.

Maybe if more whites did feel guilty, we could actually move to a reconciliation and get over this shameful display of justification of racism.

I dont think you really understand human psychology very well. Most humans cant feel guilty for stuff they didnt do. Hell a fair percentage of them rationalize their behavior in such a way they cant feel guilty for the stuff they DO do. IF negative self image is a factor in racism, (and it sure seems clear to me that it does, both among blacks and whites) because you need someone to be less than you to make you feel better about who you are, how does guilt help anyone? Why should some people who have never been on the up side of exploitation not only not recognize their own exploitation, but feel guilty for something they didnt do? How is it helpful to make someone who should be the enemy of your enemy, (and potentially your ally) the friend of your enemy and your enemy as well? Its just piss poor strategic thinking.

By the way, not that it is any of your business, but Im mixed race. SO take your "white shame" talking point elsewhere.

Do you feel half guilty?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I just got done eating some Obama spaghetti and drinking some Obama juice. After I'm off lunch, I'll do my Obama Job and probably use the Obama toilet.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
All this man needs is an expensive lawyer, and he'll be set for life after suing his old company for punitive damages, because he was accused of racism. "You melon-head" is not racist, at least that's what the lawyer would claim.

But without a good lawyer, he's -- gone.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Not entirely. Americas wealth and economic power is NOT all because of slavery. And this is clear in the south. The south should be some of the richest states in the nation with white people living in luxury and blacks in abject poverty. I dont see that. The Southeast is underperforming the Northeast, and I have never seen so much white poverty in my life. (Lots of black poverty too) Americas economic growth had to do with a lot of things, not only the use of slavery. Lets not forget that other countries used slavery too, and they did not all end up in Americas shoes. You are attributing everything to one factor when in fact, there were many.

You forget to mention that the land (and all of its natural resources) were taken by force, and the natives subjugated. Compared to the indians on reservations, those poor whites in the south are living high on the hog. Not to mention, whites got "first dibs" on all the land in the west, at stupid low prices, and maintain that stranglehold to this very day. In fact, there were indian treaties that said after x amount of years, the land would go back to the indians.....when x amount of years were up, the whites fought like holy hell to keep "their" land.

And economically poor whites dont have the added stigmatism of feeling the brunt of racism.

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Do you feel half guilty?

How do you know what Im a mix of? I find your statement offensive.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by aching_knuckles]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Exactly it was not considered a racist remark because he wasn't using it in a racist way. The same could be said for the remark this man said. We surely don't know if he was using his remark in a racist way, but someone else thought he was. People tend to take statements in the wrong way and to someone else it sounded racist even if he didn't mean it in a racist way. He said Obama melon which gets looked at differently by some and others just get a laugh about it and on't take it a racism. As you can see what some may consider racist others do not. If used in a way that was to just be funny he should not be condemned as a racist.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Obama was just tossing a joke out there at the new arizona immigration laws. So if that would not be considered a racist remark by some there are others who think it was. So why is this man being called a racist when he obviously was trying to make a funny comment. So do you now see that a remark made by someone is not always a racist remark. I joke about Obama all the time that doesn't mean I am doing it in a racist way.If I was to hear that I remark I probably would have laughed at it. Not everything people say are racist remarks.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join