It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Fired For Calling Watermelon Obama Fruit

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
reply to post by EminenceofAeon

I never overlooked your post, infact I have read it multiple times.

Here's hoping I got the meaning correct:

Any form of racism, even the smallest is bad.

It is... this is why so many people when they are called racist get offended or feel the need to defend thier honor. Racism is racism 'big' or 'small'.

It's shame you see the problem as single sided. As with any society wide problem, there is a multitude of facets, and you better address all of them, or you're just wasting your time.

So here is another side that I don't think you realized.

Say you are born to racist parents/community whatever. When you are born it is an accepted practice in your area, you grow up your whole life thinking this is "right".

Isn't this the origin of many racists? Yes I know this is where a good percentage of racists come from. The others being those who have bad experiences with a certain race. Both of these causing factors can be applied to even minorities. I am aware of this.

Then times change, you start to see things in a different light. You try to not be racist, you really do, but anytime you make a slip up, you get "racism!" thrown in your face.

Some people will need this because as you have seen in this thread... some people believe the things they say / do is alright to do. If it weren't for individuals being called out on the undesirable actions they take... well they will never learn that what they did / do is an undesireable action. It's the same reason parents dicipline their beloved children. I can see you are tired of the accusation being thrown around but didn't you as a child hate it when your parents diciplined you? I know I did.

Now, are you going to continue to try and change your ways, or are you going to go find a nice familiar community with ideals like yours?

Hopefully continue trying. Being complacent in ignorance is like the people who believe that the reflection they saw in a window really is an alien in the whitehouse.

See, the problem with the knee jerk reaction of firing this guy, is this company just reinforced intolerence. You know, that stuff anti racism is supposed to be getting rid of?

I don't know if this guy is a racist or not, but this story just gave good ammo to the racist communities out there, to help indoctrinate another generation of intolerence.

I can already here the wingnuts calling..."see, they claim we are intolerent, but look who is really intolerent..."

I'm not trying to justify the guys actions, I don't know him so I can't.

I am trying to argue that this technique of ending racism through zero-tolerence will not work.

Tollerance to intollerance is the message I get from your post. Yeah... I can see that lots of patience and forgivness is needed, but by time a person is that age... they have already been through lots and probably have lots of the bitterness I mentioned before. By then, they just dont want to deal with it and are VERY intollerant to where they are like "enough is enough this foolishness needs to stop!". From that point foward thats where this 'reverse racism' ( which doesn't exist by the way ... racism is racism period ) comes into play and where people start to push back.

However in the situation of firing the guy we don't know lots of the background as to whether he was known for this type of behavior prior to this incident.

I think the company took the path that was easiest to it. Get rid of him- there will be about 400 people applying to his position and we will have a replacement for him in no time.

spelling

[edit on 23-7-2010 by EminenceofAeon]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EminenceofAeon

Originally posted by dragnet53

SOB.....EXACTLY how I feel about scoiety and the way it treats me.

I'm glad somebody was able to relate to confirm what I said. I guess my post was overlooked for the most part due to the debating and fighting.

Star for you for reading!

Nope, your post was exactly why I was trying to tell people to read the thread instead of just expecting me to do their homework for them. I read and starred your post because it had a lot of good information in there that people obviously ignored in their rush to hit reply before even finishing the OP.

Silly me thinking that some of the people spouting off uninformed opinions might learn something by reading but I was shown the err of my ways.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

Don't worry about it. From reading your posts ( I admit I did skim through some of it as my eyes started to go cross
) you weren't the intended audience anyhow.

This is a sensitive subject to both sides of the coin. I just happen to enjoy psychology and it has become a hobby somewhat to figure out the psychology behind the interactions between people in society. Its very important to keep a cool objective head when talking about things of this nature. However, it is difficult as it is important to try to remain calm... as we have witnessed.

I normally make it a habit to star people who reply to me no matter what point of view it is. My reason being is that its important to talk about these things so that the brain registers it just a bit better. - Just realized I forgot to in the last reply -will star both of you repliers

All is good as long as something is learned. If nothing is learned then... its just a waste of time heheh.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EminenceofAeon

Don't worry about it. From reading your posts ( I admit I did skim through some of it as my eyes started to go cross
) you weren't the intended audience anyhow.

Yeah, I did not think so and that is why it was sad to see it get passed over by so many in such a rush to either pretend they do not get it or pretend they can not get it.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlayeR87
HE SAID BLACK PEOPLE LIKE WATERMELON?!?!?!?!?! OH NOOOOOO!!!

No, that is not what he said.

Hopefully this man will be tortured for 10 years then hung, and as an added measure lock up his whole family incase they think black people like watermelon too.

Is anyone actually advocating beating or hanging this man? Are some of you just insane? He got fired. People seem pretty satisfied leaving it at that. If you find a post advocating 10 years of toturous death row time, please let me know.

Until then, maybe some people should come back to reality. This thread is not at all about getting a lynch mob after him. Why would someone even say the things you are saying? You are not the first. Are you so upset he got fired you need to make up a characterization of people that is completely beyond reality?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracer7

well this urination match has gone on long enough. thanks for the "education" I feel enlightened, in fact I may need to spread the word around because the more we talk about racism the longer it will exist.

I agree. I never meant to urinate on you. You came in with your mayo joke and I asked a question. You asked a question and I told you where the answer was. I have no idea why it ended up getting derailed by the tinkle train like it did but I apologize for my half of that. I just figure that any starting with opinions and then wanting to learn what they are discussing kind of could use a perusal of an entire page.

Glad you learned something, I learned something, Tinkles feels relieved and we can all get back to hating each other for different reasons.

BTW, mind if I ask who the photo in the avatar is?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Hi um you said "Im sure you've never heard of a black person/watermelon stereotype ever in your life. Please. Have the moral fortitude to not take this angle to justify racism."

But does that not make you a racist? The man who got fired said ""In my mind I was calling the president a melon head, no reference to racial whatsoever"

And the melon is red and green so what makes you think of a stereotype?

Now im not calling you a racist i just wish to point out that everyone in that company that had anything to do with this just mite be the racist for thinking a racist thing when word for word not one racist thing was said.

I have a coworker who is puerto rican and i am "white" she like to eat Ritz crackers and on many days she picked one up looked at me to offer me one but only said with a nod "cracker"

I know she was asking if i would like one but should i have her fired for being racist?

I think being there and hearing the guy say it and how he said it would give more insight to the matter.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Hi um you said "Im sure you've never heard of a black person/watermelon stereotype ever in your life. Please. Have the moral fortitude to not take this angle to justify racism."

But does that not make you a racist? The man who got fired said ""In my mind I was calling the president a melon head, no reference to racial whatsoever"

And the melon is red and green so what makes you think of a stereotype?

Since no one can answer this each and every time I ask, let me try you. Using his exact quote explain how you believe he meant he was calling him a melon head. Please, use his exact words and go back to page 2 or 3 if pictures help.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Really? are you going to try that?

ok here goes i never said he was calling him a melon head i said to call what he said as being racist means YOU are the one who was thinking a racist thing. Because a watermelon is red and green and hell it has white as well so how can it be racist? Unless YOU are thinking of a racist stereotype.

Your turn kid.

Tell me using his exact quote explain how you believe it was racist.

Oh and "Please, use his exact words and go back to page 2 or 3 if pictures help. "

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty

Really? are you going to try that?

ok here goes i never said he was calling him a melon head i said to call what he said as being racist means YOU are the one who was thinking a racist thing. Because a watermelon is red and green and hell it has white as well so how can it be racist? Unless YOU are thinking of a racist stereotype.

Your turn kid.

Tell me using his exact quote explain how you believe it was racist.

Oh and "Please, use his exact words and go back to page 2 or 3 if pictures help. "

They were refering to this post here for you to look at the pictures.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are lots of things you can look up that links watermelon amongst various things as being dubbed 'black' food. Not as a joke, (maybe to the ones who arent getting 'punched in the face') but as a means to put these people 'back into their place'. You can read the thread to find more information on the background of watermelon as being slave fruit and the like

Now, I see you are trying to say that the people who noticed that it was a racist remark as being the real racists. With images such as the one in the post I linked pushed into your view and if the stereotype is forever hung over your head... who wouldn't?

He wasn't comparing Obama to the watermelon. He was calling it 'n-word'-fruit... but using Obama's name instead of the N-word. ( to say it plain and simple )

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Once again, all you people who bring up the whole history of watermelons and slaves and such. Most people don't know it like that. I seriously doubt this guy does, otherwise he would not have said it a company outing.

Here's common food stereotypes many of us like to make fun with. It is not meant to be that harmful. Germans like sauerkraut and bratwursts. French like snails, ewww, and I hear frog legs, as do southern whites. Japanese eat sushi. Chinese eat cats, or was it Koreans. Italians eat pasta. English eat (drink) beer. Yuppie white people eat anything that people from other countries eat, but on special little white square or rectangular plates with tiny servings. Rednecks (white country people) drink cheap canned beer. African Americans eat watermelon and chicken.

Using any of these stereotypes does not mean in any way that you feel that you are superior to those people. Think about watching a comedy, like Beerfest. I know, it's a low budget cheap comedy, but they make fun of the German culture with all the foods, dress, and beer. With my German (I'm American though) heritage, I laugh, not feel like they are degrading Germans. I live in the Northeast of USA now, Upstate NY. I'm from Kentucky. People joke at me all the time about corn, corn liquor, hunting, fishing, living on a farm, straw hats, tornadoes, or just about any other thing that may or may not be related to Kentucky. Many New Yorkers don't know where any states other than New York and Florida are located (exaggeration, stereotype).

Ahhh, enough rant for now.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Well aint that special.

At least you got my point, just attributed it to me and not the idiot in the OP.

Thanks for not being too bright.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
What was this company thinking by serving watermelon in the first place? Doesn't the company share in the blame by serving such a racist fruit in the first place? Why didn't they just go all the way and serve fried chicken and collard greens?

"Obama couldn't even sell watermelons on the side of the road." Dan Rather

I wonder if Rather could get a job in Missouri after that statement?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I want my "Obama collared" greens and maybe some bullchittlens and a bowl of jumboliar. Bring it quick, no knuckle dragging.

Frankly, I find the association of Obama to watermelon rather humorous; with watermelon @ around 6% sugar, 92% water and the rest fiber... sweet talk and lots of filler with a little extra to help the crap pass through.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AHostileMe

I refer you to this post which explains the psychology behind all this as it appears you didn't read it before replying.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The other parts you contradicted yourself in saying that the guy in missouri probably didn't know about the stereotype but you yourself listed it as a stereotype. You can see in a few posts in this thread that it is mostly used in a derogatory way.

//edit the link wont work for some reason and the post wont freaking edit

[edit on 24-7-2010 by EminenceofAeon]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It's all about context. Calling watermelon "Obama fruit" does not necessarily make one a hateful racist. If racially off color jokes made somebody a racist, Chris Rock would be the Grand Wizard of the KKK.

Under certain circumstances, calling watermelon "Obama fruit" could be okay. For example, the joke could have been made amongst a group of close friends, some of whom are Black. The friends may have had a habit of telling jokes that people outside the group would find offensive.

Under other circumstances, calling watermelon "Obama fruit" is not okay for obvious reasons. I am willing to guess that this was the latter circumstance. People who were offended by this joke heard it and the teller of the joke should have known to be more discreet.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
In my opinion this man was stirring up racism by doing what he did but it is after all his freedom of speech. At the same time private businesses reserve the right to fire him over policy against any racial insults. As BH said earlier, he can hop, scream, joke about race all he wants, that does not mean that businesses have to readily accept him and his bigotry.

I don't blame the business, I certainly would not want my business to be associated with that kind of mentality.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
I don't blame the business, I certainly would not want my business to be associated with that kind of mentality.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Southern Guardian]
Squelch the competition?
Isn't that how most businesses would like things to be?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by EminenceofAeon

No, I'm saying I thought it had something to do with current African Americans and what they like to eat. I had no idea that it goes back to slavery, and if so, who cares. Most things people eat are from tradition.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Damn SG, I actually was going to bring that argument to the table.

The private business component I mean.

Something is wrong here, I am about to give you a..............star again!

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join