It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS alert!!!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Raven! Good to see you

Good points, all, and thanks for having the sand to state them. Extra kudos for stating them so succintly (as apposed to my wandering style).

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by argentus

I read the whole post and thread. No ADD from me.
Many good points too!

What do you think about so many posters now posting from cellphones?
To me personally, I think thats an issue that will only get much much worse.

Funny you should mention the posting from mobile phone thing, Mike...

2 or 3 years ago, a backgammon server I visit started to become inundated with people playing via an app on their phones...In the middle of a match, their phone would ring, and they'd answer it, forgetting they were in the middle of a match...

After a few minutes the connection to the backgammon server would drop, and said person would log back on and begin a new match with another player, rather than restarting the original match...

End result, there were hundreds and hundreds of unfinished matches which messes with peoples ratings, and generally pisses off the regulars on the server who play via PC and do the right thing with regard to finishing matches...All these unfinished matches were a headache for the admin of the server as well...

I agree with you in that I see a bit of a similarity here on ATS in that many posts I've seen made via phone seem to be minimal and done "on the run"...I could see a day where a lot of people post via phone and threads filled with two or three line posts are the norm...Is this what you were getting at in your post ?

Not sure we can do a lot about it tho...On the backgammon server I was talking about the admin setup a "flag" which appears against a player's name who is logged in via phone, warning other players there's a fair chance the phone user may not finish a match...

[edit on 3/4/2010 by Retrovertigo]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

In continuation from my previous post I also want to highlight the issue about forum gangs. Perhaps its the forum gangs due to which genuine forum users are turning away. It was covered in detail by ProtoplasmicTraveler at this thread Forum Gang Activity On the Rise on Ats?. Perhaps Mods also need to look into this issue and remove such forum gangs.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't spend near as much time here as I used to. There seems to be
a lot more mean spirited right-wingers that don't really want to do anything except rag on liberals, progressives or anyone they disagree with. They seem more interested in promoting an ideology than discussing anything. Differing opinions are met with outright hostility and name calling. It's fun to engage but gets very boring after a while. BTS is a sanctuary but even it is being invaded with rightwing partisan ship and sniping.

I used to tell all my friends about this place. No longer.

Ignore the politics. When Bush was President, it was the left wingers that were ruining every forum. It is the way 'they" build support. When "they" say "they" are doing grassroots campaigning, internet forums are included in that.

Come here for conspiracy, not politics. Ignore people who want political argument. The "right" and "left" paradigm is a fallacy anyway.

My take on this is that there are many factors:

- many good posters that were here a couple of years ago were run off. Maybe it was site ownership, maybe it was forum gangs...who knows (well, i do, but i am not going there).

- it is spring, and it is warm right now (at least here). I have been on the grill everynight this week. Love me some pork!

- Most posters are being sucked into the political debate. HCR, bailouts, Obamamania (the strange juxtaposition of BDS). The nation is under mass hysteria.

- News is focused on politics. The media push for the HCR was immense, but it is politics in general. Look at the Glenn Beck viewership. People are tuning in to the political madness (which, applied to the above point, shows that people are buying into the fear mongers, which further drives hysteria).

- because of the above, the quality of content is not as high. Not as much to debate.

Slayer, people like you provide people like me a platform from which to participate. I don't start a lot of threads. But i am on ATS several hours a day and i post quite a bit. With more quality threads started, it drives my participation (especially threads on Nazi's, my personal favorite).

Slayer, i have sent you a U2U with a lead on some other details.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think not only hast the quantity decreased, but the quality has gone away too.

People have a fear of being attacked for their opinion, particularly in the more "heated" areas. Now an attack to bring out an opposing view, with constructive discussion is what we are all here for. But an attack that becomes personal...often quickly...is disconcerting, and makes a contributor think twice about doing it again.

I have noticed "opinion" threads that could become good food for good discussion that get labled "TROLL" or get thumped with multiple "PROVE IT" posts early on. Seems like there are groups...not necessarily organized...that are doing their best to drag down threads.

Then there are posters that are looking for ratings only. Th post starts with a link or quote, and is followed by "what do you think?. The goal of this poster is to find something that strikes a cord with a responder or two, and they ride the star and flag bandwagon on the backs of the respondents.

I really hate saying these things without having a suggestion for fixing it...not my style...but I can't figure a way to fix it.

Off to troll proof my next thread in progress.

Good thread Slayer...!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I can just answer for myself as to why I have not been on ATS much recently..

It is very mundane, as to why I have not been on much, "My real world" job. I have been changed from night shift to day shift, so this has messed up my normal routine, and with only one computer and 5 people using it, it has been difficult to get online.. LOL

I have also just quit smoking, (2nd week now) and have found myself to be easily irritated.. I have had to appologize several times for "going off" on a few threads.. So I have decided to take a bit of a break, untill my body adjust to not having the nicotine... and my temper stabilizes... LOL...

[edit on 3-4-2010 by SideWynder]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Slayer, I see that you've managed to "stir" up the pot, so to speak! This is a good thing, in my own opinion. It shows that we're all thinking about the same issue. You were just the one to bring it out. So, good job

However, I have an idea. If we all just don't respond to repeated threads, then, eventually the repeated threads will eventually stop, right?On the flip side of this, not ALL members have been on this site for years, like some of you. I commend the dedication and all, but remember SOME of us are new to ATS. I, myself for one have only been on for 3 months. More than likely, I am not going to search for a thread in the archives. I'm going to see if anyone has posted what I am looking to discuss, right then. I believe most other "new" members will do the same, too.

Also, if I may throw in my two cents here. Now that I've brought up the point about "older" members. From a new members' perspective AND ALL DUE RESPECT, it appears that SOME of you older members actually believe that you know everything about EVERYTHING. And you have some kind of reply merit system going on based on your membership length. This is BS. The only people that run things around here are the mods and administrators. You don't and I don't. Again, several newcomers are looking around posts wondering who's in charge and who isn't b/c we have to many 'chiefs' and not enough 'indians'---APOLOGIES to any Native Americans who read this or hear about it for that matter. I just couldn't think of a better comparison to use off the top of my head.

Too much complaining going on, too much drama. I always go by the old saying: "When I am pointing my finger at someone, I have three pointing right back at me". Maybe some of us should remember this.

If I make "enemies" out of this simple observation I've made, then so be it. I've learned to 'call it as it is' since my joining ATS. I hope this isn't the case, though. I respect 99% of you and value your opinion(s). But, let's grow up and stop whining. For real.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I agree with rotorwing.
why should people post just to look stupid!!!
some thing needs to be done.
a new group of mod's.
Let people post with out ridicule.
>this is NOT a d'bunk site!!!<
it is to find secrets and hidden truths.
who knows what realities is?
even the physicists are loosing the plot.
"ok I know I am a bad speller. you dont need to tell me..."
p.s. the people are here.
look at the replys in a short time.
they are just hiding.

Originally posted by rotorwing
I think not only hast the quantity decreased, but the quality has gone away too.

People have a fear of being attacked for their opinion, particularly in the more "heated" areas. Now an attack to bring out an opposing view, with constructive discussion is what we are all here for. But an attack that becomes personal...often quickly...is disconcerting, and makes a contributor think twice about doing it again.

I have noticed "opinion" threads that could become good food for good discussion that get labled "TROLL" or get thumped with multiple "PROVE IT" posts early on. Seems like there are groups...not necessarily organized...that are doing their best to drag down threads.

Then there are posters that are looking for ratings only. Th post starts with a link or quote, and is followed by "what do you think?. The goal of this poster is to find something that strikes a cord with a responder or two, and they ride the star and flag bandwagon on the backs of the respondents.

I really hate saying these things without having a suggestion for fixing it...not my style...but I can't figure a way to fix it.

Off to troll proof my next thread in progress.

Good thread Slayer...!

[edit on 3-4-2010 by buddha]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by rotorwing
but the quality has gone away too.

Okay... can you quantify that for us then?

Here's the run-down on the popular and top-flagged threads of the past week:
www.abovetopsecret.com/thisweek.html
In your opinion, which threads shouldn't be featured on that page?

Or how about these pages?
www.abovetopsecret.com/thismonth.html
www.abovetopsecret.com/threemonths.html
www.abovetopsecret.com/sixmonths.html
(and so on)

I'd be interested in the opinions of those participating in this thread as to which topics on those pages don't belong. (Really, I am, no joke.)

Th post starts with a link or quote, and is followed by "what do you think?. The goal of this poster is to find something that strikes a cord with a responder or two, and they ride the star and flag bandwagon on the backs of the respondents.

First of all, those types of thread-starters aren't allowed. So if you see something like that, please let our staff know about through the alert link.

But in the case of a less-than-stellar opening post that results in a very-active thread... why is that a bad thing? "Something" happened in that opening post, or the first few responses, to draw attention and spark discussion. Opening posts are only a very small part of what goes on in a typical thread on any discussion board.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Part of the issue may just be people who generally post a lot taking some time away from the site. Personally I go back and forth. I'll post a lot for months, though not necessarily start new threads, and then go months without even coming to ATS. Part of it due to there not seeming to be anything new going on, and part of it because of just general weariness at all the doom and gloom. I'd imagine it's the same for others.

I still check in every couple of days now, but post very rarely simply because it has apparently become impossible to disagree with anyone here without being called a troll, a right-wing nut, or flamed. I don't come here to get accusations tossed at me by people who know nothing about me aside from what I post here, so rather than break the T&C's myself telling these people exactly what they can do with their misinformed accusations I just walk away for awhile.

It's great that ATS has become more popular, but sometimes I really wish it hadn't. Seems like the more people who find this place, the more I see the word troll tossed around just because someone dared to disagree. It's rather ridiculous if you ask me. I miss the days where I could have a debate with someone in a thread for days with both of us trying to prove our point with sources and common sense but neither of us resorting to name-calling. I miss the days when I could have an intelligent discussion with someone here without being called an idiot for disagreeing with them on a point.

Could part of the problem be my hesitance to create new threads myself? Possibly. I just can't bring myself to start a new thread knowing how quickly it'll be filled with people who are only here to tear others down though. There just doesn't seem to be a point in even trying to get back the things I miss about this place when there are so many people here who'd rather ridicule everyone they see post than possibly learn something new.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I don't think it's that the topics don't belong, it's what happens in those topics. I can't even count the number of times an interesting topic is ruined because people go into the thread just to basically call everyone else an idiot or try to bait people into a flame war. The mods can't be everywhere and can't see everything, so it's not that they aren't doing their jobs, I just think it's a natural downside of the site being more popular. If I alerted every single instance of sniping and personal attacks I've seen in threads in the last couple of months the mods would never get any time away from ATS wading through them all.

We seem to have drawn a lot of people lately who refuse to see any side but their own and are quick to proclaim everyone else ignorant for not agreeing with them. So while topics themselves may be interesting, either the people who start them or the people who post in them are only interested in having their backs patted and having those who don't think like them not post there. One recently popular thread comes to mind where the original poster said in later posts that the thread wasn't for those people who were disagreeing and they should go away and let those who do agree discuss it by themselves. That's not the ATS I found and loved, and really I'm at a loss when it comes to how to handle things like that. Not like I can force someone to listen to my point of view, especially when they're only interested in their own.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Hey, brand new to this site! This is my second post as I just posted to the "agents watching ATS" forum a moment ago. I really can't say how I found this site, but I was reading over five pages about a Marine who was willing to fire on civilians and decided I just had to join!

Perhaps, since you're thinking the count is down, it might be because of the tensions growing in this country and the population being "played" by those with an agenda.

I was trying to keep a low profile, but that forum motivated me to join. Now that I have joined I'm sure there will be a price to pay bringing attention my position. Maybe others are leaving because of the nature of the attitudes and opinions voiced.....but then, that's why I am here, to study the participants and the issues that motivate them. Thanks for the opportunities!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Sometimes life eats into our ATS time.

I've been less active over the last few weeks due to various committments and distractions.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thank you taking the time to address our concerns.

This is just my own personal opinion, but I'lll point out some threads that distract from the more Fortean side of ATS.

This Week:

Massive Federal Raid in Lenawee County

Breaking: Lieutenant Colonel Publicly Disobeys Orders to Afghan on Obama Eligibility Issue

In the past six months:

AP Headline from 2004? "Kenyan-born Obama"

At the same time I understand the site needs hits and that these topics are sources of major traffic.

I'm not sure the topics should be censored, but maybe some kind of golden mean where quantity and quality are balanced could be a goal.

I guess the idea would be if someone wants to post that kind of material, it should be well written and researched. Rhetoric should be more focused on logos instead of pathos or ethos.

Thats my own personal take on things.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha

>this is NOT a d'bunk site!!!<
it is to find secrets and hidden truths.
who knows what realities is?
even the physicists are loosing the plot.
"ok I know I am a bad speller. you dont need to tell me..."
p.s. the people are here.
look at the replys in a short time.
they are just hiding.

This site is a discussion board.

This site is Entertainment

If you come here to find secrets and hidden truths then you will be sorely disappointed.
I'm not saying there aren't truths on here and that some interesting discussions don't take place, but generally the days of working together and finding out "secrets and truths" are long gone man...

99% of discussions on here are just waffle.

One side or another, be it Religious vs Atheists or Alien abductee vs Non- believers or whatever it may be.... just makes a thread calling out all the opposition and then 20 pages of back and forth BS ensues and then no serious or worthwhile discussion ever transpires.

It's getting to be like a plague on here now... rotting away the core values and purpose of what ATS was.

[edit on 3/4/10 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
if traffic has dropped, and i have not noticed then perhaps all the trolls have gotten fed up with our truthness and took off.. thatd be nice...

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Hmmmm If only.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

nice weather, less time for the internet,
and more time for the sun.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Skeptic Overlord…your comments are well taken, and I take them with some humility. They have made me step back and think some more, and that’s what I come here to do…think. Well, think and be entertained, as I have said before.

As I ponder about it, perhaps the quality is not declining, but maybe the ebb and flow of the threads is drifting away from my interest matrix. And, thus I perceive a degradation in quality. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but I think it is rather, a function of the cross section of society that is ATS. I made a rash judgement based on a flawed thought process, and I apologize to the ATS society for that. Still, I find less here to draw me here than in the past, and that may be a function of people “like minded” that are for the time being drifting away, or posting less, or starting fewer threads. I do not perceive it to be permanent situation…but just the above mentioned ebb and flow.

I do appreciate the posters that take a minimal thread and turn it into a valued discussion. I do not however appreciate the thread starter that does not offer their position on the topic they are asking us to read. That said, I understand why some are reluctant to take a position in an OP, but I still come here to “see inside the mind” of others and from that, make a determination of my thoughts. I have changed some long held beliefs because of what I read here.

It is distressing to me to see the immediate reaction of “troll” or “prove it”, because I think it limits my exposure to other’s thoughts by way of making potential thread starters reluctant to post.

In my mind, I have begun to call it the “Phage Syndrome”. Now, let me explain that. Phage researches and has a knowledge base that allows true skepticism. I think others have seen the success Phage has had doing this, and have adopted a few catch phrases that they apply to anything that doesn’t meet with their approval. It is only a perception of mine, but I none the less use it to dismiss some posters almost immediately. Phage, if you read this…continue to do what you do with my admiration, because you have caused me to research and expand my knowledge base immensely.

Still working on my next thread…off to do just that.

Slayer…good thread! People are talking, and you do a good job of getting them to do that! Skeptic Overlord…thanks for listening, and thanks for the input. You made me think!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join