It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS alert!!!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
tothetenthpower and Intrepid, thanks for offering to help 3DPrisoner. I'm sure I wouldn't be any help at all, so I felt inadequate.

Now back to the topic. Something I am seeing in this thread, that I have to commend is the "substantive” quality of the responses. I know it’s only my perception, but over the course of several years of lurking before I took the plunge last month and joined…I came to expect responses with some meat in them. It just seems there has been a decline in that. I have no numbers to back that up, and there are threads that get that now…it just seems less frequent. Again I have to defer to my “interest matrix” and that might be the root of my perception.

I can say this. I will try to start threads. And I will continue to be here (almost) daily. I will continue to help (collaborate) with others that are authoring threads… I guess what I’m saying is that ATS is still one of my favorite “net hangouts”, and even though I think it’s changing, I will be here as part of the community.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I totally agree with what you said in your post, nearly two years ago when this started to happen in bigger spurts, there was talk and warnings off members, sort it out or i'm gone, and they are going in droves.

What is the point of opinion sharing, when any thread you create, is pulled to pieces by the imature ignorant.

It becomes a waste of time, which leads to less and less knowledge or important or interesting sharing.

I wouldn't give you two pence for some of the high and mighty, ooops sorry, self important posters who set out to ridicule everything that does not fit in with their opinion, or who just wish to have a laugh at the expence of others.

Thats the reason why I myself have started moving away, that and some of the popularist small grouping trends so rewarded these days.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You know Interpid, I think I would prefer a basic board with the membership more closely watched and moderated, and quality Posts and threads, rather than a "Bright & Sparkly" new Board.

Obviously both are what the best result is. But if going for one means that the other drops a real judgement call has to be made.

The poster who said he sent lots of U2u'S emails etc is right, no matter what is happening, and a simple one line post

"We are busy sorry, please be patient and will get back when I can" shows respect.

I say this as I had a similar issue on ATS before and really had to escalate it though I didn’t want to as many many u2u's were ignored. There was no board redesign happening then.

Change Management is not easy, but project management allows strategies to be in place beforehand to address this, stop it from occurring.

So I am just saying I think the poster has the right to say what he thought, and it was "Unfair" in fact "Disrespectful" even of many staff to just ignore him.

Having said that I/He does not know if the changes meant even if his contact was heard/known about or not, so this is just speculation and I add that to not be unfair in return.

I know the Amigos work very hard, and yourself and all the Mods to, many members as well. It is appreciated, more than you guys think; much respect is there to from my personal conversations with members and contributors.

Having said what I have maybe we don’t say the three words enough,

"We Love you"

Maybe we just want the same in return sometimes?

I think that is the jist of what the Poster was saying.

Elf

[edit on 3-4-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I think it's exponential. I send/receive 200 u2u's/week. I'm assuming it goes up with the owners. It's not possible to answer those and keep the site running as well. If you need an answer right away, Complaints is the way to go. All staff sees them. Or send a u2u to a staffer that's around. Like I said, I'm here every day and I will return your u2u's. So, there is plenty of avenues to problems.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
What's going on here is unfair for the Amigos. They are working VERY hard to bring about ATS2010 for ALL the members. This takes time. If you have a pressing issue, use the Complaints function or u2u a staff member. I'm here everyday and if I can't help you(tech issues) I can point you in the right direction.

What gets me is read the OP topic again. Straight, simple and to the point. ATS traffic SEEMED to be down. But soon after SO came in and showed him that wasn't the case. So what was a misunderstanding has now devolved into a completely speculative, unnecessary diatribe of off topic posts that have nothing to do with the OP. If anything is not sitting well with me these days, it is OFF TOPIC POSTS. And yet this thread remains, when imo it should have been closed long ago, instead of it being allowed to devolve into this Bash ATS fest.

Not to mention the fact that now one of my threads (which was flagged to the top) is being made out to be an example of this further unnecessary speculation that the quality has decreased, blah blah blah. So now you're pissing me off, when I spend a considerable amount of time scouring the web to bring the stories here that I do. And all because you and management just didn't shut this thread down when the OP was refuted clearly and concisely by SO.

So yeah, just keep letting this go and letting it further devolve into even more off topic speculation. Real productive this is.
:shk:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Which would have been better served in Complaints as I don't know what you're talking about. Last night was Friday, whew, what a night. I've only been on a little better than an hour. I saw that post and replied. Maybe you should have hit Complaints and let the staffers that were on that you had a problem.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
LOL... no ego here but.

Am I the only one to notice the drop off?
Should I become even more controversial or relax and let the opposition build? say in the mid east boards?

[edit on 3-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

Be more controversial brother! Let it all hang out! I love a little hell raising!

BTW, I kinda miss your "future Grunt from hell" avatar! That rocked! Archangel Michael is just as appropriate. Same job for both! One just gets more respect nowadays. Maybe.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Really...

Slayer69 you should've known.

Some rogue members made an alternative site off this one, and took some of our top contributors, whose loyalty sucks apparently!!!!

And how do we find this site ?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hey bud -maybe everyone's extremely hung over after Good Friday - I know I am.

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OddTimeSignature

You don't want to go there - well, unless you have your hard hat and running shoes on...

The others are right - it seems to be imploding with spectacular success.

On topic:
It has been very interesting to read the varying opinions of the diversity, quality, contribution and cyclical ups/downs regarding thread contributions. There has been good insight.

Still very glad the issue was brought up. Perhaps it will usher in a renewed vigor to contributions for all members (new/old and in between).

[edit on 3-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by OddTimeSignature

You don't want to go there - well, unless you have your hard hat and running shoes on...

The others are right - it seems to be imploding with spectacular success.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

I'm actually interesting in seeing it, if nothing else just to point and laugh.

Could you provide a linky?

I sent you a blank U2U by mistake, but that was my question lol.

~keeper

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 3DPrisoner

Yeah, it sucks, doesn't it?

If there weren't so many trolls and sock puppets, i would not need to.

But keep in mind: at the end of it all, i am here for ME. It is my entertainment. If i am not getting what i want to get out of this site, and a small change in my own behavior is all that is needed to correct it, then i will make that small change in behavior.

Even if this is your first day on ATS, if you make a good enough thread, i will read it. AstoEngineer is an example. As well, i realize that a paid disinfo agent, or a paid poster, will have screen names that may go back several years, used only when they have a message they want to spread. This is why i make reference to the avatar. Something that is a quick way to show some level of dedication is what i am looking for.

But after you spend a few years here watching Noobs rehash information that you have seen time and time again, you DO start to get a little jaded. They are at a place that i was at one point in the past. Nothing wrong with that...i just tire of discussing the same tired stuff (any more "Face on Mars talk and i will scream...not to mention RetiredAFB).

Stick around for a couple of years. Spend a few hundred hours researching this stuff. Then come back and tell me how excited you are to talk to new members who may or may not even be a genuine personality.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I agree with SO that this site has increased as far as traffic goes. I am sure his numbers are facts. That being said I think one problem is the number of posters that deliberately insult other members opinions and ideas and always think they are correct. I mean that type of thing will certainly turn off new members from posting, let alone create new threads. I think if a lot of the so called skeptics lost the chip on their shoulder this place would be a lot better for it. Be a better person by helping others, not by ridiculing them. This site is filled with know it alls and brash irrationality.

“The skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches, as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found”
Miguel de Unamuno quotes

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I never really posted much to begin with, but my posting is way down now.

Part of that is just life right now. This semester of school is a major butt-kicker, so when I finally have some time, I'm going to do something that I know will be fun. The last thing that I want to do is go to a website where it seems like everything I see is either political baiting or doom and gloom.

Another big thing is that it is basically playoff time in the NBA (doesn't officially start for another two weeks, but the atmosphere is in nearly every game and it makes them so much fun to watch). I love watching those games, so that kind of goes back to wanting to do something fun with the spare time I have.

When I do actually go to post though, I find myself typing out a response to a post or a topic, about to hit "reply", then change my mind and never post it. A big part of it is the bickering and name-calling that goes on. Its not that I'm a wuss and I am afraid of being called out, its just that 99% of the time it isn't worth it to get into an argument with a stranger over the internet over something that neither of us has all the facts about. Constructive debate or criticism, sure, but not this grade school playground fighting. If it was only a handful of users that pick a fight over everything, then I would ignore them and go on about my life on ATS like normal. But now it seems like half of the people here sit and nit-pick topics waiting to start a flame war or something.

For me, this bickering/flaming/baiting isn't just on ATS, its everywhere. On the TV (not just the news), at school, at the grocery store, and on other websites/blogs that have absolutely nothing to do with the things that are talked about here. Its like everyone is about to burst with all of this built-up emotion, like they are all so upset about something, but they have no idea why. Even people I know that don't even watch the news and couldn't tell you anything about what is going on in the world outside of Lady GaGa act this way. Everyone seems to be on edge, like something major is about to happen. I see people that I know that are normally so calm and levelheaded flip out over the smallest of things that normally wouldn't have bothered them. A lot of them also have the "Us vs. Them" attitude that wasn't around six months ago, let alone a year.

Unless what is going on right now (with ATS) is just a normal bump in the road, I don't see it getting any better any time soon. Sure, it might be spring now, and more people might be going outside now. But it's about to be summer, and kids that are out of school will be in full force on the internet (and ATS).

Plus, it is so much easier for trolls to get Wi-Fi under their bridges now. That is never good.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5a269606186.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Even if this is your first day on ATS, if you make a good enough thread, i will read it. AstoEngineer is an example. As well, i realize that a paid disinfo agent, or a paid poster, will have screen names that may go back several years, used only when they have a message they want to spread. This is why i make reference to the avatar. Something that is a quick way to show some level of dedication is what i am looking for.

I can vouch for furry's statement. He means it, because he does it. And when a noob needs some help...he will do so out in front of everyone. I am about as new as it gets, and it didn't take me long to find furry, or him to find me.

ATS is only what we make it. There are good threads that never get a star or flag, and there are bad threads that get them all and front page billing for days on end. It's us. We are the cross section of society that I speak of regularly.

Seek out the people that you respect. Visit their profile. Read what they have to say in their last 3 posts or so. Star and flag them...it encourages them to keep posting, and gives you more food for thought! Be daring...star and flag someone you respect but disagree with! Encourage them to post more...for you might get to see the world through a different set of eyes.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I've seen it to. Well... the part where people just don't read or just bash a thread.

I recently made a thread called banning religion on ATS. I'll admit it was a pretty dumb thing to call it so
but it's a perfect example that people don't read the thread.

My intention was never to ban religion but only the continuous yes and no arguments and the spreading of religious and political ideas. From 4 or maybe even 5 pages of responses there were only a few replies with a respectful opinion and less who took the option to ask any further.
I even asked the mods to close it.

At Mods.

I'm always hearing obout the threads of the past. The good work so to speak. There should be a way for the mods to throw old threads which are still not debunked and up to date back in circulation. Like they were new.
A good read for any new members and because a search usually does not find a thread which is about the same thing but only the title is different.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Slayer, my friend, it is a combination of many different things, such as hard economic times for some do limit not only the time but the effort available to put to use; also, I agree with Whaaa, for there does seem to be a plethora of members now that are trying their utmost to bitch, whine, piss, and moan, call names, impugne other members character or ental state, etc., and Quite a few are like me in that regard; if I digress and allow myself to be drawn into their level then I have lost the battle before it has commenced.

For the most part, it is understandable why quality members are holding back and reality around us is being challenging for very many.

just my 2cents.

seeker

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I think the majority of people aren't posting on garbage, which gives the appearance of decreased traffic.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hey nothin to worry about too much, hopefully they are just taking my advice and taking a break from this place. It can be a bit rough on the ol` psyche to have to undergo the pressure, anxiety, and stress of trying to rack the brain for new ways to "save humanity" every other day from new and unforseeable evils, corruption or potential catastrophy. Even God took the 7th day to rest, or so the story goes... Plus for some of us who are (older than say 25 and therefore have been conditioned for longer/more sensitive/empathetic/have anxiety/etc) this process of "waking up" can be something close to ontological shock. It`s probably better for some people to treat this process like just that: a process. A process with multiple steps. The conditioning of our society was a slow and careful process. Well it`s still continuing but anyway the good news is the de-conditioning or "waking up" can happen much quicker although it should still be a step taken with deep consideration for your own state of health. So do things that make you smile. What the heck, whatch a sitcom if you can find a good one. We are already awake enough to see through their tricks so it`s not as if watching an episode of Two and a Half Men will "indoctrinate you any further. We`re already heading in the other direction. For those of you who are past the rougher part of being reborn or waking up, I`m sure you already are aware of both the importance of and the ways to take good care of your mental state. This is for everyone though, make sure to take time to take a step or two back every once in a while even if only to process your thoughts for a few days before taking in more mass amounts of new info. But also TRY to use this time to "cheer yourself back up again." We need you in prime thinking conditioN TO HELP SAVE MANKInD! LOL

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Your right Slayer, I have noticed a lot of things here as well alot of things are missing... Of course it doesnt help that Users like Dooper were banned. But your right the traffic has been slow around here.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join