It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle East on fire

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Canadianpride420

It only takes a few seconds to send them an email or call the more the better. For those of us in America,lets stand for freedom,liberty,justice and democracy.

writerep.house.gov...

Be respectful but let your voice be heard in solidarity with these brave people.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

english.aljazeera.net...

He must be pretty desperate to name a puppet to rule by his side. IMO his demise is imminent.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Look, quit trying to derail the thread. This is about discussion of the Middle East. No need to get snarky and act as if your posts are somehow more interesting or informed than mine. Your post was implying conspiracy (yet again) and I replied that it was the mundane issue of time, not your theory of "it actually may have been the government forcing Mubarak's hand in the incidents last summer in backing Iran against the sanctions and not allowing Israel and airspace and whatever else happened that wasn't according to someone's plan." Your post also gave the option of the government being a scapegoat. It's pretty obvious that I was agreeing with the scapegoat option, and not trying to one-up you. Quit spoiling for a fight. If you can't handle me replying to you, ignore me or start your own thread. If you have a problem with this, U2U me. Let's get back on topic and stay there. No more personal BS.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Look, quit trying to derail the thread. This is about discussion of the Middle East. No need to get snarky and act as if your posts are somehow more interesting or informed than mine. Your post was implying conspiracy (yet again) and I replied that it was the mundane issue of time, not your theory of "it actually may have been the government forcing Mubarak's hand in the incidents last summer in backing Iran against the sanctions and not allowing Israel and airspace and whatever else happened that wasn't according to someone's plan." Your post also gave the option of the government being a scapegoat. It's pretty obvious that I was agreeing with the scapegoat option, and not trying to one-up you. Quit spoiling for a fight. If you can't handle me replying to you, ignore me or start your own thread. If you have a problem with this, U2U me. Let's get back on topic and stay there. No more personal bull#.

I was perfectly on topic in responding to your response to me, not "derailing the thread." You added nothing to what I had already covered, and I was verifying that with you.

If you have issues with conspiracy discussion, ATS might not be the place for you.

Nowhere until this post from you was this in any way "personal." Thanks for the attack. Enjoyed it

edit on 1/29/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I must start with I am all for these people pushing for reform, and the fact that force in that country is the only way they will come about it. But I am appaled at the fact they are now looting the museum of antiquities fight for your rights but don't destroy your history. Good on the folks forming a human chain that I have seen pictures of, true patriots of your country.

And on another note gotta love the statement outta Iran stating that the governement should give in to the people and not stop this muslim awakening. Way to be hypocrites

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Update on Lebanon:

“Dialogue with Prime Minister-designate Najib Mikati will continue since he was our ally,” Future bloc MP Ammar Houri said on Saturday. “Mikati wants to show he is for compromise, [and] we have to wait for his cabinet’s work,” he told MTV. “[Although] Mikati was designated in a way [that violates the national pact], we are against disabling the state,” Houri also said, adding that “the Special Tribunal for Lebanon cannot be touched.”

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

We can continue this via the U2U I have sent you. Please, no more here.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
El Baradei weighs in:

Leading Egyptian dissident Mohammad ElBaradei said on Saturday that the appointment of a vice president and a new prime minister in Egypt was not enough to end a revolt against Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's rule. He also urged Mubarak to leave Egypt as soon as possible for the good of the country, in comments to Al Jazeera television. ElBaradei was speaking after former Egyptian Intelligence chief Omar Suleiman was sworn in as vice president and Mubarak tasked former Egyptian Air Force chief Ahmad Shafiq to form a cabinet. "I have respect for Suleiman and Shafiq, but replacing individuals is not enough," the former UN nuclear watchdog chief said. "I tell Mubarak and his regime to leave Egypt as soon as possible. It will be better for Egypt and for you," he added.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Reply to post by 00nunya00

thanks for a grfed

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

LOL, you're gonna have to translate that one for me! I thought I was up on all the internet lingo, but that one's over my head!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Being reported as even more widespread now:

7:38pm Ayman Mohyeldin reports that eyewitnesses have said "party thugs" associated with the Egyptian regime's Central Security Services - in plainclothes but bearing government-issued weapons - have been looting in Cairo. Ayman says the reports started off as isolated accounts but are now growing in number.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
ooops... this is my first time using ats mobile...its great, but i suck at it:-D

On topic'ish, ATSers what is the best way getting news from the ME on my mobile, you know..short and sweet. i'm on WAP, and large pages take ages to load, any help would be great.

thanks for the informative thread i'd s&f you if i only could.
mods:please delete my previous skimmerish,
thank's

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

Maybe Al Jazeera's Twitter feed? They've been pretty active. If LebanonNow has a Twiiter feed, and Naharnet, they would be great too. Then you don't have to surf and click and whatnot. Maybe Al Jazeera has a mobile page? It would probably auto-detect and serve you the mobile site if you hit it from your phone.

ETA: livestation.com has an iPhone Al Jazeera mobile feed, with live TV stream and news. Haven't downloaded it, but it says it's without restrictions and worldwide.

edit on 29-1-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

There is plenty of evidence and increasing reports of security forces looting stores and homes with government issued weapons and ID cards. They are working on behalf of the government to make the protestors look bad. Same thing with the g20 in toronto. In reards to the museum when the looters were beaten they pleaded that they were police. Obviously the people of eygpt want change and the government is trying everything to stop them...which seems to include releasing prisoners and security forces to loot the country to create a bad image with the protestors. Guarantee mainstream media will be showing all the looting and blaming it on the protestors

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I believe there were reports of police officers in plain clothes that were caught looting and were handed over to the army. It's good to know that at least some of the a-holes causing mess were caught.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Exactly. That's old-school anti-movement tactics. Make them look bad so the moderates can more easily side with the party that wants to stay in power.

flk1331, great to hear!

9:35pm Al Jazeera Arabic is reporting that seven Egyptians died while trying to break into a police station in Beni Suef, 120km south of Cairo.
9:28pm According to Vodafone, cellular phone networks have started to resume functioning across Egypt's capital.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Here:

Egyptians caught looters and they are some secret police among the looters according to Al Jazeera. #Jan25

Already posted, but should clear up some of the weird stuff the police has been doing lately.

Police withdrew from the streets when the army was sent in to take over security in Cairo. Witnesses have since seen mobs storming supermarkets, commercial centres, banks, private property and government buildings in Cairo and elsewhere.

www.montrealgazette.com...

"Our jobs are done and over. There are thugs everywhere, ransacking our shops," Saleh Salem, a shop owner in central Cairo. "Since the government is not doing it, we are sending down our boys to create human shields to fight the criminals."

Surprised about that?

Ghadeer said: "The looters want to plunder and the government is washing its hands clean of any responsibility."

www.newsmax.com...

Scapegoat?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by flk1331

Ghadeer said: "The looters want to plunder and the government is washing its hands clean of any responsibility."

www.newsmax.com...

Scapegoat?

So even if that's true that it's not government forces looting, which we're getting evidence it's not (ETA: as in, we're getting evidence that it IS, in fact the government doing the looting, not the citizens), the government is still tipping their hand by cracking down on protesting so violently but allowing looting to happen without check.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Woman on CNN arguing that the media needs to stop calling this "chaos" and "unrest" and call it rather "an uprising for freedom" and a "historic moment." Totally agree.

She's also talking about the looters of the museums being thugs operating under the control of the Mubarak regime. Saying they don't care about the antiquities and pyramids and whatnot, because they just take the money and put it in their pocket, they're not interested in the historical significance or pricelessness like the people are.

Great piece from the Daily Show about everyone rushing to claim credit for the Egyptian uprising:
Rule Of The Nile--Daily Show

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I'm sorry but there is more evidence that they are working on behalf of the government than there is against it....they have found ID cards that confirm they are security forces and they have weapons issued from the government. Where is the evidence that they are not government infuenced?

new topics

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join