It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-1

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
The thing that always struck me about Plato's account though, is the fact that he kept stating it was a factual account.

Many people get caught up in his use of Greek imagery and description, and yet he states that he's only using these terms and gods for illustration purposes.

Doesn't this re-enforce the accounts of Plato's Atlantis story? Let's not forget the political environment in which Plato had to work and the customs he had to navigate as to not offend. He was required by laws to be delicate in what he shared, or he would be put to death, as his teacher was.

Let's not forget that Plato's teacher Socrates was sentenced to death for "failing to acknowledge the gods that the city acknowledges" and "introducing new deities."
Trial of Socrates

fast forward a few thousand years and people still receive some level of criticism for the same teachings.

Plato had to be careful of how he shared his information because he too might be forced to drink a hemlock cocktail like Socrates, of whom he was a student of.

Why would Plato risk his life to share this story if it was not important to do so, or there was no truth in it?

respectfully,
et

edit on 19-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: fixed typo

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

The whole issue with PLATOs story is that it supposedly originated with the Egyptians however there are no collaborating Egyptian sources. Well none that have been proven legitimate.

edit on 19-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I'm familiar with that story. Also, I personally believe that perhaps collaborating texts, and the origins of Plato's recounts may have been lost in a library fire, or suppressed by the might makes right oppressing class of the elite. It seems to me that most of who has been literate down through the generations were those who were of nobility and of religious scribes. So essentially through the majority of the "dark ages" the only ones who were literate usually did not include the commoners. Ruling families have influenced and manipulated the flow of information, and have proven there willingness to do so numerous times throughout history. A great many books and texts were burnt in the South American campaign concerning their heritage. It is possible history was lost. Not to paraphrase or quote Graham Hancock too much, but I too entertain the idea that we are a species with amnesia.

These are a few of my thoughts on this subject, and ancient civilizations and history has been a subject of study of mine since the early 90s.

thanks again for this thread Slayer,
et

edit on 19-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: remove bb codes that did not work

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Also, I personally believe that perhaps collaborating texts, and the origins of Plato's recounts may have been lost in a library fire, or suppressed by the might makes right oppressing class of the elite.
Well, do we have any confirmation about other statements in story, like these?

In the first place the Acropolis was not as now. For the fact is that a single night of excessive rain washed away the earth and laid bare the rock; at the same time there were earthquakes, and then occurred the extraordinary inundation, which was the third before the great destruction of Deucalion. But in primitive times the hill of the Acropolis extended to the Eridanus and Ilissus, and included the Pnyx on one side, and the Lycabettus as a boundary on the opposite side to the Pnyx, and was all well covered with soil, and level at the top, except in one or two places.

Where the Acropolis now is there was a fountain, which was choked by the earthquake, and has left only the few small streams which still exist in the vicinity, but in those days the fountain gave an abundant supply of water for all and of suitable temperature in summer and in winter. This is how they dwelt, being the guardians of their own citizens and the leaders of the Hellenes, who were their willing followers. And they took care to preserve the same number of men and women through all time, being so many as were required for warlike purposes, then as now-that is to say, about twenty thousand. Such were the ancient Athenians, and after this manner they righteously administered their own land and the rest of Hellas; they were renowned all over Europe and Asia for the beauty of their persons and for the many virtues of their souls, and of all men who lived in those days they were the most illustrious.

And if written accounts were really suppressed (and that is not that common as many people think, the information is usually forgotten, not suppressed), what happened to spoken accounts? Those last for a long time, and supposedly being an evidence of how great Athens was, they should probably have some tales about it.

Edit: you have to remember that I live in Portugal, part of the area that was supposedly ruled by Atlantis, and we haven't found any thing that could be related to Atlantis (although in the region where I live they have found several remains of Phoenician and Egyptian objects and small villages from the bronze age.

edit on 19/9/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Edit: you have to remember that I live in Portugal, part of the area that was supposedly ruled by Atlantis, and we haven't found any thing that could be related to Atlantis (although in the region where I live they have found several remains of Phoenician and Egyptian objects and small villages from the bronze age.

That should be the topic of a thread all on it's own. That is an example of how we are learning all the time of things that are not taught in todays text books

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Latium
en.wikipedia.org...

books.google.com... CWTMvLGpaLnAft8NC1CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Latium%20atlantis&f=false

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Could you please explain what you mean by that?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Could you please explain what you mean by that?

Thanks in advance.

en.wikipedia.org...

books.google.com... CWTMvLGpaLnAft8NC1CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Latium%20atlantis&f=false

Latium (Latin: Lătĭŭm) is the region of central western Italy in which the city of Rome was founded and grew to be the capital city of the Roman Empire. Latium was originally a small triangle of fertile, volcanic soil on which resided the tribe of the Latins.

Earliest known Latium was the country of the Latini, a tribe whose recognized center was a large, extinct volcano, Mons Albanus ("the Alban Mount", today's Colli Albani), 20 km (12 mi) to the southeast of Rome, 64 km (40 mi) in circumference. In its center is a crater lake, Lacus Albanus (Lago Albano), oval in shape, a few km long and wide. At the top of the second-highest peak (Monte Cavo) was a temple to Jupiter Latiaris, where the Latini held state functions before their subjection to Rome, and the Romans subsequently held religious and state ceremonies.

I posted a book link
The secret of Plato's Atlantis
By John Francis Arundell Arundell of Wardour (12th baron)

Latium descendants of Atlanteans?

edit on 033030p://bSunday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Latium
en.wikipedia.org...

Latium what? It doesnt match anything like Atlantis. Even if that really would be the true source of Platos Atlantis, all it does is show 3 things:

1) Plato made the name up
2) Plato fabricated story/setting to go with it
3) Platos writings are a complete fantasy

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Not that I agree but where do Romulus and Remus fit into that?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If they were of Indo European origin Atlantis in India

www.thetruthseeker.co.uk...

I read this many moons ago.

In Hindu legends an island of gods was destroyed during a war between the gods and the Asuras (giant people). Which is very similar to the greek myth of the gods Vs the Titans.

Vishnu Purana (2000 B.C.), a sanskrit text, speaks of Atala, the "White Island," which speaks of its geographically location, which when translated is roughly 24-28 degrees North latitude. There is no longitude translation.

Mahabharata tells of a horrendous war that sunk Atala. It is also called the White Island in this text. It describes it as an "island of great splendour" in the western ocean. It is also describes Tripura, a circular shaped capital city, which was destroyed by being “burnt until it sank into the ocean”.

www.lilith-ezine.com...
wiki.answers.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Not that I agree but where does Romulus and Remus fit into that?

www.tribwatch.com...

I have no idea.

but I can keep looking.

I did this same research on the dolmens many years ago, what would be the reason for their odd locations?

If all cultures sprang from Indian Atlantis, there was this very knowledgeable person on the subject that I once knew, I'll see what I can find that is left of his post..

Whew I'll send them to you.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Prehistoric Geodesy: (Greek geōdaisiā : geō - 'earth', daiesthai - 'to divide')
www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I posted a book link
The secret of Plato's Atlantis
By John Francis Arundell Arundell of Wardour (12th baron)
That part I understood, even if the link was a mess, but posting just one link without saying anything doesn't help in any discussion.

You may know what you are thinking, but other people, with different knowledge, may not understand a thing of what you mean just by posting a link to a book.

Latium descendants of Atlanteans?
That's another thing I don't understand. If the only source of Atlantis story is Plato, why people suggest locations that have nothing to do with what he wrote?

It's almost as if anyone wanted to have their own Atlantis.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Stormdancer also posted the same link with lack of reference to what the connection was to another thread with no connection to that threads topic either. I'm a bit confused myself.

Storm could you be a bit more informative as to the nature of the link and it's possible connection to the topic please.

thanks

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
First time posting and viewing this thread.....simply amazing presentation.
heading over to Part-2 right now.

Thanks for the insight!

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Also, first time reading this thread...I missed it when it originally came out

Star & Flag...off to read part 2.

Very well done, thank you.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LurkN
First time posting and viewing this thread.....simply amazing presentation.
heading over to Part-2 right now.

Thanks for the insight!

Well welcome to ATS. I hope you find Part-2 to your liking!

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
Also, first time reading this thread...I missed it when it originally came out

Star & Flag...off to read part 2.

Very well done, thank you.

Hey thanks let me know what you think about part-2

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

hello peoplei have a interesting topic is all about atlantis island in ancient times atlantis a powerful island that is rule by they called it elder one past down to generation to generation it was discovered by aliens from mars it was in the out skirt of portugal this aliens of today are human beings they consist of 44 delegation from different planets like in the modern of today UN nations they come in peace from different sectors of the universe they are called alliances of faith this discovery was after the dinosaur period the island was described like this in the center of the island there was a pyramid like in the aztec period and in the north ern part of the island mountain ranges and then valley then beach head in the southern part there are villas and pier and terrain and the western part there was villas and beach head and in the eastern part of the island there was a pier and villas smooth terrrain and its capital atlanticos city the first elder one was pamparicos and last elder one was aman rarenticos that was when atlantis sunk to the bottom off the ocean the cost of destgruction of atlantis was the explosion of the power sources of the island that created huge tremors that made thew island like a jugsaw puzzle before it sunk it sunk in the period of ramsesII reign after plato died this here are the part of the list of the 44 delegates from different sectors in the universe

mars white , light brown people
venus red skin
saturn yellow skin
mercury russian, latvia,estonia,georgia,lithunia
platikos african,aborigines people
tronataka malayan races
bynum middle east
nokrapata bulb head races
jupiter white caucasian
agelican winged people
gumbaticoka reptilians
palemade greek race

in atlantis this was the center of commerce at ancient times and delegation meet giving diamonds and gold and precious stones for the elder one from there planets there corporation to make buildings like babylon and tower of babel ziggurat and pyramids in south and noth america and to it a secret not to teach to much technology to decendents like us today others escape the blast of atlantis and others fly there spaceship out to other planets to seachers again the people left here in planets earth struggle to survive with lack of technology andd the stone blocks half of it came from the stone cliff of mars from pyramid s of egypt and ziggurat
and the universe is divide in to sectors the known sectors are 500 million sectors and estimation of sectors are 900 zillion 20 times by people from mars the look like us and there are millions planets like ours we belong to the sectors 5 group that are compose of 250million planets

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join