It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity conversion FOR ALL

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

I don't think its obsession so much as it is wonderment, curiosity, and to be frank, annoyance. Also, it's not like Christianity is something that is inconspicuous in anyone's life. There are people, as you can see in my post, seriously, sometimes negatively, affected by Christianity in a negative way.

Some might not be so "obsessed" with it if it weren't forced in their faces all the time.

But...I'm sure Christians feel the same way about non-religious/atheists, conversely.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeeSquared
reply to post by one_man24

Interesting perspective. This is why I love being skeptical towards authority because it is extremely easy for someone to claim something and add a, "Trust me - I'm a scientist." remark at the end.

I believe the difference between claims like that and claims from religion are that the former can be proven right or wrong if need be. Whereas the claims from religion seem to be offering the truth, but when questioned, allow no room for testing to see if the claim is indeed true or not - at this point it is suggested that we go by faith in order to see the truth.

"He who has ears, let him hear!"

To which I would have to reply: He who has a mind, let him think.

hehe I especially like the part where you suggest "science" when questioned can prove itself. Yeah riiight, you ever challenge Darwin in college? I have and you would think I just spit in the pontifs face the reactions are so zealously religious and like Richard Dawkins does in the stumped by a creationists video, I never did get that answer to my questions answered either. Just got called names and a lot seen a lot of other saul alinsky type tactics used by the scientific establishment.

Might as well just call it what it is,, Religion.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Water-tastes-good

I'm not sure how they "draw me away from God". Whomever/whatever this God is, is already in my life. I do feel it. I just don't feel that others need to push me into seeing this "God" the same way they do and that just because I don't buy every single thing I'm told by ANY religion means I am somehow removed from God.

Why do I have to have religion to be close to God? God is me and I am God. So is everything and everyone else, including you. If you want to go at it from the angle of being a Christian and that makes you fell closer to God, that's perfectly fine with me.

Just don't try to say that I am not close to God because I don't believe in God the same way you do.

I DO find that insulting.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by Bombeni

I don't think its obsession so much as it is wonderment, curiosity, and to be frank, annoyance. Also, it's not like Christianity is something that is inconspicuous in anyone's life. There are people, as you can see in my post, seriously, sometimes negatively, affected by Christianity in a negative way.

Some might not be so "obsessed" with it if it weren't forced in their faces all the time.

But...I'm sure Christians feel the same way about non-religious/atheists, conversely.

You seem like a pretty down to earth guy, I can agree with the post too. I only talk about it when it is brought up or I am aksed. I think going around trying to "sell it" is what pisses people off AND THAT sure don't make most people want to buy it

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

"I'm not sure how they "draw me away from God". Whomever/whatever this God is, is already in my life. I do feel it. I just don't feel that others need to push me into seeing this "God" the same way they do and that just because I don't buy every single thing I'm told by ANY religion means I am somehow removed from God."

To be honest, I can care less what you buy. They draw you away by their actions. You know the meaning, "actions speak louder than words?" I was talking about the people you were describing. God is in everyone's life regardless you want Him in it or not. That is why you strive to have a relationship with the Almighty Himself. You can't say you have God in your life but then not follow His word. By all means, do it your way. No one is stopping or pushing you into anything. What comes out of other's mouths are just words. But know if you're not following His way, then you don't have God.

"Why do I have to have religion to be close to God? God is me and I am God. So is everything and everyone else, including you. If you want to go at it from the angle of being a Christian and that makes you fell closer to God, that's perfectly fine with me."

You don't need religion. Who said you did? You need a relationship with Him. No, you are not God. I'm not God either. If I claimed I was God, I would be worshipping a false idol. Creating my own. I would be sinning. I am a Christian because I believe in Jesus.

"Just don't try to say that I am not close to God because I don't believe in God the same way you do."

Only you know when you are close to God. That is another matter entirely. A war raging in your heart. Covered by sin. You "think" you are fine and dandy when really you are just living your way. The sinful way. That's when you ask God to take you into your heart and give it life.

"I DO find that insulting."

Now if I insulted you in this post, then I am sorry.

EDIT: To change a word and to add a few.
[edit on 27-8-2009 by Water-tastes-good]

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Water-tastes-good]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Water-tastes-good
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

So if I may ask, do you just have a problem with how Christians try to convert people or is it much more than that?

To me spirituality is a very personal and private matter. It grinds my goat when anyone of any faith tries to 'enlighten' me or anyone else unsolicited. I have absolutely no problem if someone comes to you seeking spiritual knowledge or guidance.

I am a very spiritual person, and have studied Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddaism, Taoism, Confucianism, Ancient Religions, New Age Spirituality, Wicca... Well, you name it, I've studied it. But it is my personal journey.

As to my original post, after rereading it, I can see that it might have come off a little gruff. I am in no way comparing Christians today to those of the past, it was just the first thing that popped into my mind after reading the OP. But parallels can be drawn to Islamic Extremists such as the Taliban, who do still use the conversion methods used in the past by Christians. Modern Christianity in no way resembles this mindset on this issue.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

To me spirituality is a very personal and private matter. It grinds my goat when anyone of any faith tries to 'enlighten' me or anyone else unsolicited.

You think Christian's are trying to "enlighten" you? That's completely wrong. Christians share their faith with Christ because they care about you. The Bible is clear about those who die in their sins and what happens to them and Christians don't want that to happen to you.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Just don't try to say that I am not close to God because I don't believe in God the same way you do.

I DO find that insulting.

AMEN and pass the mashed potatoes! I also find the term 'Heathen' (unless used jokingly) and the assumption that I must be an atheist if I don't believe Christian beliefs equally insulting!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Totakeke

What sins? Oh, the inherited sins that make us all sinners and unworthy...ok....BUT...if Jesus died for our sins to save the world and they were washed away with his blood...then the slate was wiped clean. So why is anyone a sinner now and why do they have any inherited sin? Did he die in vain is that what you are saying?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I agree. Your spiritual journey should be a private one. But I think God needs to be there to help you along the way also.

As totakeke said, we can't give you enlightenment. We would like nothing more than to show you our enlightenment but it never comes off that way. At least for me. I want to show everyone my enlightenment.

The path to true enlightenment is through the Bible only. That, we as Christians, can say.

Thanks for answering my question.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by oneclickaway

What sins? Oh, the inherited sins that make us all sinners and unworthy...ok....BUT...if Jesus died for our sins to save the world and they were washed away with his blood...then the slate was wiped clean. So why is anyone a sinner now and why do they have any inherited sin? Did he die in vain is that what you are saying?

What sins? Have you ever lied? Stolen something? Have you ever used God's name in vain? Those are sins. There are many more.

Everyone's a sinner because we still sin; it's impossible for us to completely obey God's Law. The world is still in a fallen state.

No, He didn't die in vain. Christ's death will only wipe away someone's sins if they accept His gift of salvation and turn from their sin. Salvation is a decision, it doesn't just automatically happen.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Water-tastes-good

Well, it isn't so much enlightenment, more like the knowledge of eternal security; knowing that we've been saved by Jesus Christ.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I need you to tell me how Jesus' death saved us all. I really, really, really, really do.

You can't just SAY it is so. You really need to provide some sort of logic for it.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yeah that's better. I just would love to share with them what I have learned from God. But, that is for me and me only. Hence why I didn't write it in that post. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I am a Christian, but probably the most open minded one you may ever find.

Church is a racket, they guilt trip you into feeling like you need to go every Sunday, and get as many others as possible to go, and of course they are going to want your money. It wouldn't be so bad except you have these huge chruch groups, like the Catholic Church that are uber rich, and actually have the means to push their twisted agenda on everyone. I think the Catholic Church is the most corrupt and evil institution the world has ever seen. The Souther Baptist convention, formerly known as the Baptist church is where my wife goes, and I go sometimes. They openly support military operations that kill innocent kids. I tell them that Jesus would be appalled by this sort of thing, but their only reply is that we have to defend Israel at all costs, because they are God's chosen people. Needless to say I don't give them any money.

1-Jesus's crucifixion saved all of Human kind for the rest of time. So no one goes to hell, but then again there is no Hell. You see, I feel that you must apply a healthy dose of common sense to all things. God is love. So if God is love, and he created us, he loves us all. There are a few things that I love, and I can promise that I would never subject any of them to eternal fire torture. God wouldn't create something, and love it, and then torture it forever if it didn't love him back. That would be a "fail" in today's terminology.

2-I don't attempt to convert anyone to Christianity because everyone gets to decide whether or not they go to Heaven after they die. The Church has done a good job of keeping this secret. Did you ever wonder why there is a secret library at the Vatican?

3-The Bible isn't the true un-cut word of God. It has been meddled with so that it meshes with the church/enslavement paradigm. And there have been a lot of things that were just flat left out. However it does have some lessons that can be applied on generally how to act, in order to have a happy successful life.

4-I don't like when people try to convert me to their religion, so I don't try to convert people to mine.

I believe in God, the Almighty Creator of the Universe which I perceive. I believe Jesus was sent here by God, to teach us about love. I believe that if you in fact love your neighbors, and do your best, you will be right with God, and move to the next level when you die.
God is unfathomable in this dimension, and we will have to move up the food chain a long way before we can understand him.

When we die, our soul does get judged. By two entities. 1 is an Angel that is a higher being, the other is yourself. Your life is played out in front of you, and you get to feel what each and every other person felt when they interacted with you, good and bad. This is where you learn the mistakes of your ways. Then the Angel will have your next assignment for you, it may be coming back to Earth to learn more, or it could be some R&R in "Heaven" or it could be some other realm or planet. One way or another we are re-united with family in that dimension, including your family that is from far reaches of the galaxy.

That is my take.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I need you to tell me how Jesus' death saved us all. I really, really, really, really do.

You can't just SAY it is so. You really need to provide some sort of logic for it.

Jesus' death payed for our sins because He was sinless and the Son of God. He died for our sins so we wouldn't have to die a spiritual death (which means eternity in Hell). I could find the Bible verses, if you'd like.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Water-tastes-good
The path to true enlightenment is through the Bible only. That, we as Christians, can say.

It is your opinion, not established fact. (I am in no way trying to come off condescending by that.) I have been lead down a different path to the Divine. I was raised Christian, and attended 9 years of Christian School. It left me empty and unfulfilled. It just never fit. If it fills your heart and soul, then it is a good fit for you, but it never was for me. After many years of soul searching and studying, I did find my connection to the Divine (I refrain from using the term 'God' due to the preconceptions it carries) and have never felt closer to the Source of all, and it only grows by the day now. I never felt that way when I was a practicing Christian. Just empty, hallow and living a lie. There are many roads leading to the Divine, only the traveler can choose his or her own path to get there. I am also of the belief that all roads lead to the Divine, even the path of the atheist. Some are just rockier than others.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
deleted...can't let them get the best of you, Anya.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

You have come in here and basically called everyone either an atheist or a sinner just because they don't do things YOUR way or your religions way.

I've never called anyone an atheist. I did call people sinners, but we are. We're all sinners. Every human being on Earth is a sinner. We've all broken God's Law.

I am so close to God I feel it in every bone in my body every single day! And for you people to come in here and tell me I am not and insinuate that I and others are removed from God is just about the most insulted I have ever felt in my life.

I never insinuated that you aren't close to God. But I'm curious, what does Jesus Christ mean to you? Do you know who He is, why He was sent to Earth, and the gift He provided?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Jesus' death payed for our sins because He was sinless and the Son of God. He died for our sins so we wouldn't have to die a spiritual death (which means eternity in Hell). I could find the Bible verses, if you'd like.

So, as we now won’t have to die a spiritual death and spend eternity in hell….we can go on sinning happily then?
And how could the Son of God die?
No, please don’t find the Bible verses, there is only so much I can take.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join