It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity conversion FOR ALL

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Sparked up from a previous post...

Nothing against Christians, but every time someone has tried to convert me to Christianity, it always started, and ended with the following three.

1. Do you know your lord a savior?
2. You need to learn who your god is because he loves you.
3. Don't you want to be saved?

To an extent I pretty much believe all of the books of modern day religion other than the book of mormon, and scientology... I don't take it all literally, and I see it more as an ancient description of historical events described as best as possible.

Now if I were to try to convert someone to something I believed would help them in their lives, telling them that a fiery death or else, would be the last thing to say. But that's just me

So could someone tell me why this is the mainstream method on Christian conversion?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
lots of us take it straight from textbooks, since we naturally suck at it (hence the uniformity of style). some others don't bother with textbook methods though, because they are naturally gifted.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by iHateMasses
Sparked up from a previous post...

Nothing against Christians, but every time someone has tried to convert me to Christianity, it always started, and ended with the following three.

To an extent I pretty much believe all of the books of modern day religion other than the book of mormon, and scientology... I don't take it all literally, and I see it more as an ancient description of historical events described as best as possible.

Now if I were to try to convert someone to something I believed would help them in their lives, telling them that a fiery death or else, would be the last thing to say. But that's just me

So could someone tell me why this is the mainstream method on Christian conversion?

I believe it is the mainstream method for Christian conversions because fear works. It works really well.

I've be asked a few times, "Don't you want to be saved?". But no one has ever really tried hard to convert me. I've actually converted a number of agnostics to athiests. I wasn't trying to. We were just discussing religion and they finally realised how stupid it all was.

As for the holy books being an ancient description of historical events. I just can't believe that. They are either inaccurate or just flat out lies. But that's what I've heard and seen quoted. I have never read any holy book. Never plan to.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by System

I should of mentioned that I also believe that early humans had contact with aliens.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by iHateMasses]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think it's funny that people don't believe what was written down in a book a couple thousand years ago, but you'll eat up whatever oprah, zeitgeist, evolutionary biologists, new age sprituals, Obama, or Richard Dawkins have to say. Well, maybe not Obama so much anymore.

Seems to me that people just don't want to believe in God. That's fine with me, so long as you realize that everyone is believing what they are told, regardless of who is doing the telling.

Edit to add: Btw, most christians don't realize that they can't convert anyone, or convice them of the truth. God can work in the unbeliever, if they open themselves up and receive His invitation. God reveals Himself to us daily through His word, but you can miss the invite if your ears are closed. "He who has ears, let him hear!"

[edit on 27-8-2009 by one_man24]

[edit on 27-8-2009 by one_man24]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

How does a polytheist even start to answer those questions

Which lord?

I have a bunch of gods. Which one are you talking about?

Saved from what? You?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by System

I've actually converted a number of agnostics to athiests.

hhhmmm...I cant think of a way to "convert" an agnostic. There seems to be a large perception that agnosticism is some type of belief system.

It most definitely is not. I have used the agnostic definition to describe my stance on religion for some time now. Never been to an agnostic "church" group or gathering or anything of the sort.

So, either the people you feel you "converted" were either not agnostic or didnt understand what being agnostis means.

Here is the definition of agnosticism so it is clear for some of those who may not fully understand..

Agnosticism (Greek: α- a-, without + γνώσις gnōsis, knowledge; after Gnosticism) is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of deities, spiritual beings, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently impossible to prove or disprove and hence unknowable. [1] It is not a religious declaration in itself and the terms are not mutually exclusive. [2]

~Wikipedia

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by iHateMasses

OP,

I would say get used to it..

Christians are called on by the Bible to give effort to convert people..

That is why you see them poor dudes riding around your neighborhood streets on a bike in long black pants and a button up collar shirt with a bible in their backpack..

I drive around Vegas for my job all day long (where it is a minimum of 100 degrees in the summer) and see them poor guys riding around going from neighborhood to neighborhood doing their best to save as many souls as possible...

but for some reason people dont take a liking to being preached to at their front door...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by iHateMasses

Guilt.

Next line to say guilt, guilt, guilt.

Fear + guilt = love

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

God + Man= Eternal Life and Happiness (God's original equation)

Man - God= Sin, Death, and Struggle (Man's own equation)

(God + Man) + (Man - God) x God's Grace to the millionth power= Eternal Life and Happiness

Aren't you glad that God is such a great mathematician? lol

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by one_man24

God + Man= Eternal Life and Happiness (God's original equation)

Man - God= Sin, Death, and Struggle (Man's own equation)

(God + Man) + (Man - God) x God's Grace to the millionth power= Eternal Life and Happiness

Aren't you glad that God is such a great mathematician? lol

Yes I am and I'm also glad you are too. God + Man = Eternal Life and Happiness. (God's original equation) I love it!

Who is God though? That seems to be the problem I'm having. There are just too many theories trying to anwer that simple question.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Fear + guilt = love

do you honestly believe that?

That has to be the worst definition of love I have ever seen...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
We go on after this life, we have a choice to make on this earth, about who to serve and it is God or Satan.

But a lot of people don't want to make that choice so they just go with a beautiful blue boy who plays flute and parties for all eternity or some other cult.

We can never fully escape satan's lure as this present earth is his to rule, but we can be protected from satan as he works to build his very own kingdom, and that is what hell is, eternity with satan. There are a lot of people who look forward to eternity with satan. If you don't believe satan exists, I can give you some info. that might convince you.

If you accept Christ's redemption power you have nothing to worry about as far as hell goes. God really does love us, more than we can know. He has done everything in His power to show us that.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs

Fear + guilt = love

do you honestly believe that?

That has to be the worst definition of love I have ever seen...

I haven't figured out how to make typing sound sarcastic. It seemed obvious to me. Fear and guilt make the opposite of love. That is what I believe. Fear and guilt were used on me to coerce me into believing what someone else believed. Because of that experience, I have observed other "religions" using the same tactics.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. This must be the reason sarcasm is the tool of fools.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

lol...gotcah...ya sorry..i didnt see the sarcasm...

sometimes context is hard for me to pcik up...

as far as sacasm is concerned your probably right! it is for fools...which is a good reason why someone lik emyself employs it constantly...
..lets see..what other ones can be used?...i gues...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

There are times when sarcasm is entirely appropriate. Religions are one of them.

God on the other hand does not require a religion per se. God is not that picky and he/she gets my sarcasm. I have a guardian angel that told me so.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

We go on after this life, we have a choice to make on this earth, about who to serve and it is God or Satan.

That is just the thing...many of us do not see the world in a black and white manner...good and evil... god and satan...

there is too much gray between god and satan..they share to many qualities...

remember..according to the Bible who Satan is...Lucifer, the angel of light..

who would have thought the angel of light (created by an omnipotent God, according to the Bible) would be the one to decieve us ignorant humans..

another great example of why there is so much confusion when it comes to religious beliefs and why their are so many interpretations, and they do not add up well...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

okey dokey...what ever you say broham...
[/sarcasm]

j/k

honestly, i do agree...and even though at times it is foolish..it is always fun...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Who is God though? That seems to be the problem I'm having. There are just too many theories trying to anwer that simple question.

If I may answer your question. If you can't find a simple theory that you don't feel is right in your heart, go after it yourself. You ask the question "Who is God though?" My answer, ask Him yourself.

The main problem, which is with everyone who has doubts and not saying you do, is you can't audibly hear His voice so you begin to think that there may not be a God. See, when you read the Bible, pay special attention to certain verses with the word "heart" in it. Try to figure out what that really means. Ask God who He is and where your heart is at. Here are some examples:

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

- 1 Samuel 16:7

"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

- Luke 12:34

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."

- Proverbs 3:5

"These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me."

- Matthew 15:8

Those are my favorites. Remember, God knows what you need even before you ask Him. Be genuine and be alert. Happy searching together.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Water-tastes-good]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Water-tastes-good

While I completely appreciate your reply to my post and am grateful for your help, I am in no doubt as to the existence of my Creator.

Its the religious aspect that turns me off.

I don't need to share the god you believe in nor do I need you to share mine. If you are content with your beliefs then I am happy for you. It would be nice to receive the same respect. Not saying that you are doing any disrespecting!

Upon death, the truth will be revealed individually. We are born alone (unless you are a multiple) and die alone, therefore, this logic translates itself to me this way. My relationship with God is personal and private, like birth and death are private and personal experiences.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join