It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wondered why “JESUS CHRIST” is a ‘curse’ word?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Lol. Yeah I remember Jill from home Improvement. That was a unique show. Hidey Ho neighbor. I never did see that dudes face. What a cool gimmik! Surrounded that guy in mystery. He was like a Guru on EVERYTHING! Tim was like a big kid. Jill was the brains of the operation. The kids were all so very different from each other.

That is a long time to be married Old Thinker. I myself have come close a few times. I would be a very difficult person to live with because I am so odd.

So what is the secret to a long Marriage? You guys have similar hobbies? Or does she just have a mean left hook?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
NO damn pretense here....Dude I've been married for nearly 30 yrs........I could'nt BS anyone....IF I TRIED>>>!!!!!!!

My life....can't win an argument....2 save my life.....

You, a swordsman, must bow to the woman, who's invisible sword slays you every time!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
I'm guilty of using this expression when frustrated or upset, but I've never deemed it even remotely as any type of profanity.

ok.....me, too.....back in the day....

but have you truly thought it through...could there be more to it????

OT

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint

Originally posted by OldThinker
NO damn pretense here....Dude I've been married for nearly 30 yrs........I could'nt BS anyone....IF I TRIED>>>!!!!!!!

My life....can't win an argument....2 save my life.....

You, a swordsman, must bow to the woman, who's invisible sword slays you every time!

OMEGApt....is gone, it's late for sure.....

Question....how did you know ...omegapt...know?

You are right.....!!!!!

OT silent.....quiet......reverential.....

sleepy....etc.!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

As I had mentioned, this is the context in which I happen to use the expression when it does cross my lips. In the end, it comes down to a matter of context and intent.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
.........Hidey Ho neighbor. ................So what is the secret to a long Marriage? You guys have similar hobbies? Or does she just have a mean left hook?

Wilson, sweet, what's up?

btw, SAD...he died....

Marriage? secret? I got-it....really simple....!!!

Husbands...can be HAPPY.....

or RIGHT.......

But not BOTH>>>>>>>

Your...choose?????????

Thoughs???????

OT....been there, done that, t-shirt to prove..........

Check out John 13:34, 35 for more info......it DOES work in the end....!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Why do people use Jesus Christ's name as an expletive or God's name in vain?
Ignorance, a false sense of liberation and laziness.

Try going to the East and screaming out *Allah* as an curse see how long you keep your head.

People die for what they believe in - accept here in the West.

It goes to show how in the USA most think using Jesus Christ's/God’s name in vain proves how liberated and free thinking they are when it only goes to prove how ignorant.

Like here on ATS - we ban slang words for parts of our anatomy but the owners wont take a stand on the issue of the *god damn* (sorry) word, or the use of Jesus Christ in a form of curse.

People die for their belief systems all over the world - here in the USA and most English speaking countries we wallow in our *right* to *bleep* on others beliefs.

On ATS the owners demand we show common courtesy over not using the word for human excrement in baser terms but has no problem at all in putting aside respect for their ‘fellow man’ in flinging human excrement all over their belief in God in allowing the use of the *GD/JC* word...

Deny ignorance? Yeah right.

Hey, you don’t want to believe in God/Christ - your loss (IMO) but why should you be allowed to curse mine?

Like I said, try it in the East, lol - you wouldn’t dare.

Maybe using His name in such a way started out as some kind of pleas for help or guidance?
When people were confronted with something horrific they yelled out Jesus Christ - in a form of a prayer maybe? Now it's turned into a curse, I'm sorry to say...

peace

[edit on 10-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You mean God dang but instead of dang you mean the river blocker silo? Or do you mean typing out the word God in general and instead use GD to represent the word God?

Not trying to offend you either way just curious. I myself am very anti-censorship and believe in people using their own word filtering software or a filtering software provided by the website that you could plug in words into it and it would automatically block them out for you.

That way everyone gets what they want.

People who do not want censorship do not have it and the people that do want it have it. It does not force other people to use it and it does not force other people NOT to use it. i would consider that the true American way of dealing with the problem. What say you?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
### ALERT ###

The topic of this thread is: "Ever wondered why "JESUS CHRIST" is a 'curse' word?"

From this point forward, please return to the topic. Any further off-topic posts are subject to staff removal.

TheBorg
Forum Member and Moderator

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Thank you...THE BORG...for keeping us on track.....

We will attempt to do better....

OT

[edit on 10-7-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Why do people use Jesus Christ's name as an expletive or God's name in vain?
Ignorance, a false sense of liberation and laziness.

Try going to the East and screaming out *Allah* as an curse see how long you keep your head.

People die for what they believe in - accept here in the West.

It goes to show how in the USA most think using Jesus Christ's/God’s name in vain proves how liberated and free thinking they are when it only goes to prove how ignorant.

Like here on ATS - we ban slang words for parts of our anatomy but the owners wont take a stand on the issue of the *god damn* (sorry) word, or the use of Jesus Christ in a form of curse.

People die for their belief systems all over the world - here in the USA and most English speaking countries we wallow in our *right* to *bleep* on others beliefs.

On ATS the owners demand we show common courtesy over not using the word for human excrement in baser terms but has no problem at all in putting aside respect for their ‘fellow man’ in flinging human excrement all over their belief in God in allowing the use of the *GD/JC* word...

Deny ignorance? Yeah right.

Hey, you don’t want to believe in God/Christ - your loss (IMO) but why should you be allowed to curse mine?

Like I said, try it in the East, lol - you wouldn’t dare.

Maybe using His name in such a way started out as some kind of pleas for help or guidance?
When people were confronted with something horrific they yelled out Jesus Christ - in a form of a prayer maybe? Now it's turned into a curse, I'm sorry to say...

peace

silo13, you have obviously thought this through, right?

OT

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
In the end, it comes down to a matter of context and intent.

Yep, so true...intent is a powerful thing...and right on in the OP's context....

Thx for contributing....

OT

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I do it because I was raised on it. Until I was twelve I thought my name was Jesus Christ and my brothers was God damn it.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
I do it because I was raised on it. Until I was twelve I thought my name was Jesus Christ and my brothers was God damn it.

Go to bed!!!!!!!!!

Already....

way toooooooooo late, for comedy.....!!

OT

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Jesus Christ should not be a word used as a curse, but guess what, it means eveyone believes in Him.

And that is great.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Heh, I would if I could sir, but I'm stuck at work

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Jesus Christ should not be a word used as a curse, but guess what, it means eveyone believes in Him.

And that is great.

Nice thought...

but OT knows better...or atleast I've seen/felt/heard/witnessed those that differ......

I'm with ya, in Spirit, though...

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade

Heh, I would if I could sir, but I'm stuck at work

Alrightyyyyy, you have an excuse...up at work...me, nope....playin on the computer, past 3am....what a slouch (sp?)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Thanks for your support, and total crap to the naysayers.

YAY! Jesus is here to save sinners.

Even the very bad people - REALLY, He does.

Just take Jesus into your heart and He will forgive you.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Thanks for your support, and total crap to the naysayers.

YAY! Jesus is here to save sinners.

Even the very bad people - REALLY, He does.

Just take Jesus into your heart and He will forgive you.

Keep that Hebrews 11 faith there 11:11....ever notice your ats-sign up date?

I'm too tired to go on....c-ya tomorrow my friend!!!!

G-night!

OT

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join