It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Ever wondered why “JESUS CHRIST” is a ‘curse’ word?

page: 2
7
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
Why single out 'Jesus' though....

OT


I think it's because in Western Culture, Christianity is the largest religion. In muslim societies, you wouldn't even think about using Allah! At best, you'd be flogged! But here in the land of Free Speech...




posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bonekeeper
I'm from Brazil



Sweet, how's that Brazlian Soccer Team....the 'USA' almost did it, huh? Whew, close? huh? Great game....

btw, OT scored a "header" on your Olympic goalie, back in the early 80's...it was a dream I think...many moons ago...nah, i really did it...

wow, what a memory you brought up...sorry for the derailing, I just got excited....

whre was I?

OT



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think that it's designed to shock, like most 'swear'
words. Probably also a bit of superstition in there, too,
like Bless you! which was supposed to counteract the
'window of opportunity' that devils had when someone sneezed.

It's all emphasis, instantly conveying shock, surprise,
pain, disappointment, etc. in an efficient way.

It is funny to see the cultural differences with some of the
'profanities'. In the UK they seem to think it is incredibly
rude and funny to say a word that is quite a bit like bullocks.
In the US you apparently can't say hell, I mean heck, I mean h**k.

The best exclamation I've heard is, "Crikey Christmas!" :-)



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts
 


Curse word, yes...an "explanation of surprize" was not in the OP....?

Once again JR, you bring up a good point....thank you

Yes, folks do .... do that....

Wonder why?

OT

PS: Think the Indians (from INDIA), somewhere, are going, "oh SHIVA, I missed the turn?"




posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker
 


No conflict at all, only some really good thinkers! I love the overall seriousness that this site seems to demand at times. It draws the best out of a lot of very intelligent people.



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TechHead
 


TechHead, you joined!!!!!

Great, thank you...

From my earliest, I remember being freakin confused...and askin my dad, God rest his soul, "is JC a curse word?" And him saying "of course not, son!"

But all the older boys, who could give a r@ts A$$ about Him were yelling it...

????

OT



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker
 


I'm pretty sure that you will only find this phenomenon in countries with a large Christian population. When I was a kid, it was definitely because, like all other curse words, it was forbidden. That which is forbidden is even more alluring than that which is not! Perhaps the message in the 'Garden of Eden' story???



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
reply to post by OldThinker
 


No conflict at all, only some really good thinkers! I love the overall seriousness that this site seems to demand at times. It draws the best out of a lot of very intelligent people.



Yes, for the most part....

OT's been around for many yrs...just check out the profile/older threads...and the *799$ I went through....

Certainly a challenge, fo sho! How did you find us?

OT



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker
 


That's the funny part. I really can't remember. I was probably looking something up in google, which directed me here. I more than likely began reading and joined. I look forward to reading through your old posts.



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by OldThinker
 


I'm pretty sure that you will only find this phenomenon in countries with a large Christian population. When I was a kid, it was definitely because, like all other curse words, it was forbidden. That which is forbidden is even more alluring than that which is not! Perhaps the message in the 'Garden of Eden' story???



Alright...I'm open to that....

Others....you got a non-english take on this....???


OT



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Good thread OT.

I remember when I was a child and loudly exclaimed, "Jesus Christ" when I hit my thumb with a hammer.

My Mom washed my mouth out with a soapy wash cloth. I did not understand why I could say the same words in my prayers but got my mouth soaped too.

She explained that I was using the words in a disrespectful manner. Also that I needed to have the right attitude when I used the words.

I thank my Mom for teaching me about Jesus Christ.



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Good thread OT.

I remember when I was a child and loudly exclaimed, "Jesus Christ" when I hit my thumb with a hammer.

My Mom washed my mouth out with a soapy wash cloth. I did not understand why I could say the same words in my prayers but got my mouth soaped too.

She explained that I was using the words in a disrespectful manner. Also that I needed to have the right attitude when I used the words.

I thank my Mom for teaching me about Jesus Christ.


You are showing your age....GRACEFULLY...I might add!

Same thing for me...looong tme ago....

PTL for mom!

OT



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker
 



Hi there OT!

Yeah, it's great to have a discussion - works the old
brain cells a bit and it doesn't always have to be on
a familiar, comfortable topic.

I actually have lots of trouble with 'swearing' as I'm
in a job where I simply mustn't, yet ... it does tend to
roll off the tongue! People would be shocked.

As for using 'religious' swear words, well, I don't
think that I mostly do. Too many others to choose from!



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
reply to post by OldThinker
 


That's the funny part. I really can't remember. I was probably looking something up in google, which directed me here. I more than likely began reading and joined. I look forward to reading through your old posts.



What does the scripture teach us about that...?

"providence", maybe....

or...

"soverignty"?????

Either one...good...glad you are here....

OT

Romans 8:28 maybe..."all things"

??



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Wonderment....Miracles....Extraordinary....as in acts or luck,,, either good or bad.

I think the phrase is evoked by things that seem incredibly out of the norm.

Jesus Christ that hurt. - I.E. I can't believe that just happened to me. Of all the bad luck. How could God(Jesus Christ) let that happen

Jesus Christ that is cool. - I.E That is so amazing that only God (Jesus Christ) could have made it happen.

Jesus Christ is used instead of God because God put Jesus on earth to act as a messenger or so it is said.

Thats my best guess.



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechHead
reply to Too many others to choose from!




Darn (that's the xtian version) ha ha!

Yes tooooooooooo many to choose from!

OT thinks you'll find one!

"STINK!" n-tha sub-tute...



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts
 


Jaxon I agree with your point of view. I have actually thought about this at one stage of my life.

I have a guess that it is now a "cussword" in Christian countries because it is forbidden or thought negatively of. I bet it started out innocent. Like a guy got hurt and said "Jesus" as a cry of help, then eventually he said it a little angrier, the some guy said "Jesus Christ", then a little longer a guy through in the H.

I think the whole concept of Curse Words is stupid in a way. How can a word be inherintly bad.

What is the difference between Fornication and F..k?
What is the difference between Feces and S..t?
What is the difference between Ass and Glutious Maximus?

Words are just representations of an object or idea.

Where the Bible says dont use Curse words, I think they really meant dont put curses on people as that was common in that time.

Also, I believe we are not supposed to say Gods word in vain, because it would be like your kid calling your name and not really needing anything and it irritates the living heck out of you



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Wonderment....Miracles....Extraordinary....as in acts or luck,,, either good or bad.

I think the phrase is evoked by things that seem incredibly out of the norm.

Jesus Christ that hurt. - I.E. I can't believe that just happened to me. Of all the bad luck. How could God(Jesus Christ) let that happen

Jesus Christ that is cool. - I.E That is so amazing that only God (Jesus Christ) could have made it happen.

Jesus Christ is used instead of God because God put Jesus on earth to act as a messenger or so it is said.

Thats my best guess.


SS, a newbie....comin...with the WISDOM!!!! Who-wood-da-thot-it????

Thank you!!!

OT



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by JaxonRoberts
 


Jaxon I agree with your point of view.



Grapes...me too...

JR, has got it on most issues....

Glad you joined, hope all are well...

OT



posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker
 


Thanks all is well. I hope you are yours are doing well too.
Great thread as always.



new topics

top topics



 
7
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join