It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wondered why “JESUS CHRIST” is a ‘curse’ word?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Ever wondered why “JESUS CHRIST” is a ‘curse’ word?

1) Why don’t upset people yell…”oh Budha!”
2) Or maybe, “Allah!”
3) Or maybe, “Krishna!”

Why do they scream…j-e-s-u-s…h…c-h-r-i-s-t!

Always wondered that?

Any ideas?

What about not saying “his name in vain…” You think there’s a link there?

Could we be proving the concept of sin, by our words?

Am I out to lunch, or have you ever thought this?

Why single out Jesus?

What did he do to deserve this?

Could there be more going on than meets the eye?

I dunno?

Thoughts ATS-ers…

OT

PS: Not too much flaming alright…

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Most people say that when something unbelievable happens. Usually something bad. By saying Jesus Christ out loud they are simply invoking his help for the bad situation. I do not believe it is meant as a curse word

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

It is spiritual in nature. This was influenced on people so they would associate the name with bad things happening. The kids spilled a whole jug of kool aid on the kitchen floor. "Jesus Christ I just mopped that!"

Look in your rearview mirror and see the flashing lights from a squad car pulling you over. "Jesus Christ what now?"

"Jesus Christ you mean they did what?"

Do you get it? You are right. There is something to it. Just think Jimminy Cricket instead and all will be well.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
Most people say that when something unbelievable happens. Usually something bad. By saying Jesus Christ out loud they are simply invoking his help for the bad situation. I do not believe it is meant as a curse word

Regarding the SUB Conscious, you very well be right...doubt the religious skeptics will agree, though?

Thanks for replying my friend!

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I wonder that myself sometimes. I t is completely irrational and illogical.
What is even more irrational and illogical is the fact that there are so many people who get upset and offended by the use of that name.

In order to speak that name you have to do it in a particular way and in a particular setting or people (Christians) will lose it.

Well as you can see, I am doing my part to desensitize people to that.lol.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think it is the link to an amazing miracle type situation that has evolved into general use of anything kinda crazy or shocking...?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

It is spiritual in nature.

Yes, I agree...

Why single out 'Jesus' though....

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Miracle type situation the guy was kinda known for that...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Because Jesus is THE MAN

line dos.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles

I agree Mr T! Something amazingly great could provoke the term "JC"

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by weedev

Yep...know him well...atleast OT's tryin' hahaha!

Found this....

Finally, profanities may cause offense, regardless of context, if they have some religious meaning which may cause their use to offend those who follow a particular religion. The original meaning of the term was restricted to blasphemy, sacrilege or saying the Abrahamic God's name (or an identifier such as Lord or God) in vain, such as "Jesus Christ, that was close!".

link: en.wikipedia.org...

Troubling to me...got to be a reason...?

Weird, huh?

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

It is spiritual in nature.

Yes, I agree...

Why single out 'Jesus' though....

OT

Because that is the only name by which someone could be saved and have a relationship with God.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

So if people take the name for granted, it means nothing. They know how to push their agenda.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
I wonder that myself sometimes. I t is completely irrational and illogical.

to those that are SIGHT bound, yes...

to those who look higher...it makes some sense...still confusing though...

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Yeah, in the slang evocation, it seems to be an expression of something extraordinary, either good or bad. At an unconscious level I think it's an appeal for protection, as some sort of fear reaction, like a charm, and as a Christian is does make me a little uncomfortable when people use it like that, and I rarely say anything, but it strikes a chord deep within me when they do, and it feels wierd to hear a name so uplifted and important being used like that, at such a low level of awareness.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

IMO this is purely cultural:

1) Why single out Jesus? -> Because we live in a "christian" society (at least by title) and then people use interjections that call out to " Dear God" or "Jesus Christ" instead of "Krishna" or "Buddha". I'm pretty sure that people from India will have something else to use based on their culture.

2) What did he do to deserve this? -> Possibly, taught some simple people how to be better persons, then it escalated into different religious sects and then continued to grow, then after a while one or more of these sects merged into a religion because of political reasons, then these people set out to expand this religion (again for political reasons), until centuries later entire nations got to call themselves "christians" and were indoctrinated to call out for him whenever they were in trouble... you know, like you call your dad when you see monsters in your closet.

3) Could there be more going on than meets the eye? -> Likely - for example, when you are a kid you cry out for you mom & dad, so you grow up and start calling out to god or jesus to solve all your problems and make everything better again. It's just a psychological pattern that gets replicated from generation to generation, only taking new forms - and that's not specific to christianity.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
Yeah, in the slang evocation, it seems to be an expression of something extraordinary, either good or bad. At an unconscious level I think it's an appeal for protection, as some sort of fear reaction, like a charm, and as a Christian is does make me a little uncomfortable when people use it like that, and I rarely say anything, but it strikes a chord deep within me when they do, and it feels wierd to hear a name so uplifted and important being used like that, at such a low level of awareness.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by OmegaPoint]

whew...

"a low level of awareness" wow..that's profound, to me atleast....

Thank you....

Think maybe my atheists would call that EGO-centric.....

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bonekeeper

IMO this is purely cultural:

Well, that is certainly a theory to entertain....

Wonder if there are some studies, in the regard...

ATS-er's from other part of the world...you out there?

Please shed some light for me and the bonekeeper...

We are interested in your take on the OP/supposition....

Is "JESUS CHRIST" used as a cuss word in your part-of-da-world?

Thanks BK for the proposition!

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

In reference to it's use as a 'curse' word, and not an exclaimation of surprise, I believe some of it's because it's forbidden. It's just part of the human condition to do what others say you should not do. Also there is the 'parrot' effect. Children hear their parents say it, or some other adult. Adults hear their peers say it. Etc. I even find myself doing it, probably because of both reasons, but almost always due to surprise or disbelief in something. This is funny (not haha funny, but in the 'odd' sense of the word), due to the fact that I have not considered myself a Christian for over 30 years!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I'm from Brazil, and something very common here is to say "Beloved Jesus!" when something strange/bad/good happens... another variation is "Hail Mary!". We hardly just say "Jesus Christ!" for something, if ever.

It's not so much of a cuss word (in the bad sense) as it is a general interjection used to give emphasis to whatever happened... like "what the # is that ?" -- it doesn't mean the person is cussing the subject of the interjection - it is just giving it emphasis.

If you grew up in a city where people would just use "Wow!" for everything, and you never, ever, saw anyone saying "Jesus Christ!" for emphasis, would you start using it by your own ? More likely not. Because you see other people doing it, grew up seeing other people screaming "Jesus Christ" to the simplest of things, then you do it aswell - cultural inheritance.

Human behaviour has more to do with the environment & culture where he grows up than people usually seem to acknowledge... or in other words:

"Conditioning is a bitch!"

=)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Because that is the only name by which someone could be saved and have a relationship with God.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

So if people take the name for granted, it means nothing. They know how to push their agenda.

jf, I appreciate your post...and more importantly your relationship with him....

Sure glad you stumpled on humble OT's thread....

How long you been on ATS? Met much conflict here?

OT

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join