It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wondered why “JESUS CHRIST” is a ‘curse’ word?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hehe weird... i have never realy heard people say "JESUS CHRIST" around here, when cursing. I live in norway, and people tend to say "SATAN!" in the same situation you say you use JC. Either that or "HELL!" (if they for example drop something on their foot)

Both these words will make mothers look at you with wide eyes if you yell them out. So its weird to see american TV where there is nothing naughty about saying hell.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
reply to post by Astyanax

Muslims say 'Allahu Akbar' (God is Great), 'Bismillah' (in God's name) and so forth. Muslims yell 'Allah!' all the time
I occasionally hear that kind of thing in my neighbourhood, but not in the same way the OP is talking about. When I hear muslims invoke god its affirming their faith sort of thing, more along the lines of "Thats surprising! Isn't god great? / We are blessed! / Bless me/you/us!"
Whereas I hear people say "Jesus!" with real vehemence too. ........

Nice course correction there BD!

Don't worry about the other post....your input is appreciated!

OT

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daniem
Hehe weird... i have never realy heard people say "JESUS CHRIST" around here, when cursing. I live in norway, and people tend to say "SATAN!" in the same situation you say you use JC. Either that or "HELL!" (if they for example drop something on their foot)

Both these words will make mothers look at you with wide eyes if you yell them out. So its weird to see american TV where there is nothing naughty about saying hell.

satan and Hell huh? interesting, ....same story, different characters...

Still the spiritual themes are used in anger/exclamations....hmmm?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I don't think I've heard anyone use that phrase since the early 80's. I think the last time I heard that one was when my dad struck his thumb with a hammer. I wasn't even a teenager then. Why would some use that phrase?

It makes sense now when the religious tell me that Jesus is all around us. In the 80's dad called everything Jesus Christ... the hammer, the pipe he bumped his head on, the car door that slammed on him, even my mother when she put her foot down with him, etc etc...or maybe it is a call to invoke him.

Does he appear whenever anyone on here invokes him like this? He didn't appear for my dad. He was just laughed at.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
I wonder that myself sometimes. I t is completely irrational and illogical.
What is even more irrational and illogical is the fact that there are so many people who get upset and offended by the use of that name.

In order to speak that name you have to do it in a particular way and in a particular setting or people (Christians) will lose it.

Well as you can see, I am doing my part to desensitize people to that.lol. [/quote
I dont mind hearing that word, thought id rather not hear it.
it doesnt really bother me

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

) Why don’t upset people yell…”oh Budha!”

Because Buddhists don't get upset ?

Perhaps xtians would do well to learn some Buddhism and the they can set an example to the cussing atheist

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

Do you get it? You are right. There is something to it. Just think Jimminy Cricket instead and all will be well.

* Jeezle Pete!!! * worked for me, but yeah, there IS something to it.......mainly a bad habit that needs to be broken. I have even heard people I knew to be Christians say it in the same fashion.

OldThinker, thought provoking thread, keep up the good work, and keep looking up, redemption draws nigh.........

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

i-was-pondering-this-a-while-back,-
i-came-to-the-"logical"
conclusion-that-we-have-an-enourmous-amount
of-materialistic-ppl-tht-are-not-GOD-fearing-nowadays-so-they-say-it-when-something-unbelieveable-happens-as-GOD-an-th-bible-is-unbelieveable-to-them? -u-could-say-a-reflection-of-their-opinion-on-JESUS-GOD-and-the-bible?---
unbelieveable?
i-must-add-not-my-opinion-

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

i-was-pondering-this-a-while-back,-
i-came-to-the-"logical"
conclusion-that-we-have-an-enourmous-amount
of-materialistic-ppl-tht-are-not-GOD-fearing-nowadays-so-they-say-it-when-something-unbelieveable-happens-as-GOD-an-th-bible-is-unbelieveable-to-them? -u-could-say-a-reflection-of-their-opinion-on-JESUS-GOD-and-the-bible?---
unbelieveable?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by toochaos4u
I don't think I've heard anyone use that phrase since the early 80's.

Sorry about your hearing loss...was it an accident?

OT

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

) Why don’t upset people yell…”oh Budha!”

Because Buddhists don't get upset ?

Perhaps xtians would do well to learn some Buddhism and the they can set an example to the cussing atheist

Damn, that's funny!

OT

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by watsgoingon?
......u-could-say-a-reflection-of-their-opinion-on-JESUS-GOD-and-the-bible?---
unbelieveable?

Lot of validity there wats....

btw, 'wats up' with all those dashes? You using 'Word Perfect' on the Commodore 64? Just a joke...thank you for the post bro!

OT

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue

OldThinker, thought provoking thread, keep up the good work, and keep looking up, redemption draws nigh.........

draweth nigh...OT always liked those King James Props....

Thanks for the complement, hadn't seen you in a while...glad you posted!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
......Jesus christ dude I came to this thread to get away from the heavy xtian stuff and have a little light hearted rest with the OT.

For christs' sake lighten up ......

2 JC's in one post, the holy spirit must be at work in moo's house...

F

S

S

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
Most people say that when something unbelievable happens. Usually something bad. By saying Jesus Christ out loud they are simply invoking his help for the bad situation. I do not believe it is meant as a curse word

I have to agree with you....now for me I hate it when I say JC and someone feels the need to lecture me and get all biblical on not saying. Oh how that really really annoys me! It's also funny how one can have a "trucker mouth" and yet when they say JC people flip out.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
Most people say that when something unbelievable happens. Usually something bad. By saying Jesus Christ out loud they are simply invoking his help for the bad situation. I do not believe it is meant as a curse word

I have to agree with you....now for me I hate it when I say JC and someone feels the need to lecture me and get all biblical on not saying. Oh how that really really annoys me! It's also funny how one can have a "trucker mouth" and yet when they say JC people flip out.

Have you ever thought about why a Christian would "flip out?"

OT

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

All is one.
Us, our god, our eternity.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by AKNOWLEGE_ME]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Over on Testimony Share is this funny story by Charlie Borg, where he was hammering away on a metal roof to get a leak fixed before a storm came. Three times he hit his thumb with a hammer, each time yelling out the Lord's name. I just can't tell it like Charlie did, so browse down through there and you won't be disappointed! There is no doubt in my mind that Jesus hears us say his name, no matter how we say it, after reading Charlie's story!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Probably for the same reason I get PO'ed when someone either giggles, laughs or gives me the 'SATANIST!!!' look when I tell them that I'm a Wiccan. However, I do not flip out, but instead I try my best to explain to them calmly what it is that I DO believe. So much inaccurate 'bad press' over the years that I end up having to educate them about it. The whole 'Wicked Witch' at Halloween doesn't help! (Another Wiccan holiday that has been totally ripped off and twisted into a joke!)

I would suggest to Christians to take the calm approach and explain in a calm manner why you find it offensive. I admit that I do use it from time to time (usually the whole name, JESUS H. CHRIST!, no offense intended), but I try to be sensitive about not using it in front of my Christian friends.

BTW, have you read my definition of God thread yet, OT???

[edit on 11-7-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join