It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wondered why “JESUS CHRIST” is a ‘curse’ word?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKNOWLEGE_ME
reply to post by OldThinker

All is one.
Us, our god, our eternity.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by AKNOWLEGE_ME]

Thx for the edit....it was a bit short at first....remember God then instructed Moses to go unto Pharaoh. Moses asked the Lord what he should tell his brethren, the children of Israel, when they ask him the Name of the One Who has sent him unto them. God responded and said, “I AM THAT I AM" … You shall say unto the children of Israel, I AM has sent me unto you” (Ex 3:13-14).

How does the IAM relate to your point I wonder? I think it does....

OT

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

novacs4me, thank you for taking the time to post...

I'll check it out....

OT

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
Most people say that when something unbelievable happens. Usually something bad. By saying Jesus Christ out loud they are simply invoking his help for the bad situation. I do not believe it is meant as a curse word

I have to agree with you....now for me I hate it when I say JC and someone feels the need to lecture me and get all biblical on not saying. Oh how that really really annoys me! It's also funny how one can have a "trucker mouth" and yet when they say JC people flip out.

Have you ever thought about why a Christian would "flip out?"

OT

Personally I dont care.. They dont need to push their beliefs on me when I didnt ask for it plain and simple. I am not going to run around censoring everything I say or do out of fear it might "offend" someone. People are way too sensitive IMO now-a-days and it's a little annoying if you ask me. I dont let little things like curse words or gay men kissing get to me, there are more important things to worry about.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

Probably for the same reason I get PO'ed when someone either giggles, laughs or gives me the 'SATANIST!!!' look when I tell them that I'm a Wiccan. However, I do not flip out, but instead I try my best to explain to them calmly what it is that I DO believe. So much inaccurate 'bad press' over the years that I end up having to educate them about it. The whole 'Wicked Witch' at Halloween doesn't help! (Another Wiccan holiday that has been totally ripped off and twisted into a joke!)

I would suggest to Christians to take the calm approach and explain in a calm manner why you find it offensive. I admit that I do use it from time to time (usually the whole name, JESUS H. CHRIST!, no offense intended), but I try to be sensitive about not using it in front of my Christian friends.

BTW, have you read my definition of God thread yet, OT???

[edit on 11-7-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

Good advice Jaxon....a lil counting to 10 is a good thing....

I've been travelling and didn't have time to respond...yes....I read it, thanks for providing me the link...

One, it was well written...

Two, I appreicate your tone...

Three, I'm a big believer that those find truth who look for it....

I did like that other posters sig about it a relationship...that's where I'm at....

You ok?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You do have valid points, however it is just common courtesy to not use offensive language in a public setting. Just like it's wrong to drop the F-bomb in front of children, it's wrong to use JC as a curse in front of a Christian. There are far more important issues out there, but common courtesy should always be in fashion.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

..... and it's a little annoying if you ask me.

Two words for ya sweetheart....

DEE

CAFFF.....

OT

PS: This ATS-thang is a 'DISCUSSION' Board....ok

OT just curious that all...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Thanks for the props! I'm just Faboo! Insensitivity to the spiritual beliefs of others is a problem in today's society. We all need to embrace the fact that we are as individual as snowflakes, and to try to make a universal snowflake mold diminishes us all. It's the differences that make us such an interesting species! If we were all the same, life would be soooooooo boring!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You do have valid points, however it is just common courtesy to not use offensive language in a public setting. Just like it's wrong to drop the F-bomb in front of children, it's wrong to use JC as a curse in front of a Christian. There are far more important issues out there, but common courtesy should always be in fashion.

What do you want me to ask everyone in the vicinity of where I am at if they are Christian first?? Um that is not going to happen,
I dont see JC as a curse word in any way but thats my opinion. I have never have seen it as one. I dont use curse words in front of kids and to be honest I dont really say JC but when I do I am not going to ask everyone to make sure they arent going to be offended. I could say anything and guaranteed someone somewhere will be offended. People need to relax and stop worrying about what others say. When I hear excessive cursing in public I dont say anything I just think to myself about how low class it sounds and I move on. I guess you would have to know me to know why this type of stuff doesnt bother me. It really takes a lot to offend me honestly. I have other things to worry about besides someone else's potty mouth.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

..... and it's a little annoying if you ask me.

Two words for ya sweetheart....

DEE

CAFFF.....

OT

PS: This ATS-thang is a 'DISCUSSION' Board....ok

OT just curious that all...

Um what are you talking about??? I think I know what this place is I'm not stupid. You obviously have different views than me and that's fine......btw I hate decaf

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
personally i do not consider "jesus christ" to be a cuss word. although, i wonder if other characters from past popular mythos/belief systems had similar issues.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by anonamousantichrist

I think I could get the proper emotional content behind, "Gilgamesh!" but maybe not so much with, "Mithras!"

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

lol-commodore64---

no-sorry-its-the-lack-of-a-working-spacebar-at-this-moment?
those-pesky-invisible-aliens!-

seriously-though-glad-u-started-th-thread-as-i-had-been-pondering-exactly-th-same-question-a-wee-while-back-to-myself-and-ppl-i-know-and-i-think-what- i-said-i-believe-to-be-a-large-part-of-the-whole-JC-"conspiracy"
to-why-its-said-when-something-unbelieveable-happens??
so-well-done-friend-glad-someone-asks-these-questions-too-

Peace

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by watsgoingon?

lololololololololololol Wow I am going to start a Space bar telethon for you! What a royal pain in the patooty it must be to type without a space bar lololol.

Sorry I am not laughing at you I am laughing with you. That is too too crazy.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Its not really a curse word, those who fall under satan just hate it because everytime they hear it, every knee must bow before the Lord.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

[sarcasm] Holy Frakkin' Hera! That must suck not having a space bar!?!?! Aphrodite in a crap wagon! And a Commodore 64???? Zues' @ss! Talk about a fossil! (and our hero tries desperately to inject some more humor into the lives of others!) [/sarcasm]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers[

lol-u-should-try-it-turkeyburgers-it-is-a-royal-pain-inda-assss

i-think-everyone-should-do-a-spacebarless-post-in-honor-of-the-guy-that-has2do-it-constantly?--ME!!

it-seriously-messes-up-with-your-typing-routine-so-much-so-that-when-im-back-in-working-spacebar-world-i-dont-think-ill-be-able-to-use-it-as-im-so-acc ustomed-to-this-set-up-now-

that-wud-be-cool-if-anyone-feels-th-urge-to-share-the-pain-with-me!
even-just-the-once-
and-ive-not-used-th-curse-JC-in-this-post-about-th-exquisite-pain-of-th-lack-of-a-spacebar-im-sure-i-cudve-fitted-it-in-sumwere?????
there-u-are-friends-thats-how-it-is!!-try-it-once-for-a-post--it-sux

peace

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

guess-i-killed-this-post??

peace

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Nah, I think it just ran it's course. But you never know. OT might be able to bring it back to life.

*Charge to 260.... CLEAR!*

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
It is quite odd as I believe I do it out of habit. I don't believe in "God" per say...but I often say "Oh my God!" and "Jesus!" when surprised. Maybe it is conditioning? I wouldn't say it if I hadn't learned it from others.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Codazzle
Its not really a curse word, those who fall under satan just hate it because everytime they hear it, every knee must bow before the Lord.

Codazzle, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you....every knee? What a sobering thought man!

OT

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join