It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the death penalty must be abolished

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
reply to post by HulaAnglers

Yes,

It is all about money, and being on the top of society, squashing everyone else.

But I think they will all be squashed soon.

Cheers!

Or at least humbled.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

These prisons, weapons and laws are projections of their own deserving guilt and insanity.

I do pray for a strong wind of "return"

Invoking the right kind of magic is totally appropriate in this age. Everyone who inflicts pain on another is to instantly feel the pain they are inflicting.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by HulaAnglers]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think that what has not been adressed here is the impact of a society deciding that the death penalty is legal. If the Justice of a given society, which is supposed to be "above" men, condones the death penalty, then that sends out a message. It is socially acceptable to kill.

This, IMHO, explains why countries with a higher murder rate generally apply the death penalty. If you socially accept and condemn the same thing (i.e. the taking of another human life), then it is more difficult for Joe six-pack to understand that killing is wrong.

Not applying the death penalty makes the value of human life more explicit, for it makes plain for all to see that even the life of the worst criminal has value, and can not be taken, no matter what. This leads to a social conscience of the inherent and sacred value of life. No matter what the circumstances may be.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail

Not applying the death penalty makes the value of human life more explicit, for it makes plain for all to see that even the life of the worst criminal has value, and can not be taken, no matter what. This leads to a social conscience of the inherent and sacred value of life. No matter what the circumstances may be.

Yes! That is the real statement of the value of life, not measuring blood in blood.

Here's how I see it - is another death really a good memorial to a victim?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me how selfish people can be.

Murderers and rapist, child killers are our responsibility, as a society.
It’s our responsibility to society to make sure these freaks will never be given a chance to repeat offend.

We need to stop being a bunch of namby-pamby wishy-washy little fruit cups and put down the animals who kill and maim and rape and murder, the convicted pedophiles, and remove the threat from our children’s nightmares - forever!

One of those freaks escape or are *let out on good behavior* to rape and kill a child - the blood's on societies hands as a whole.

So who’s blood would you rather deal with?
The guilty?
Or would you rather try to wash your hands of an innocent child's blood, a child who's killed by a repeat offender or someone who know they'll just get their hands slapped and put into rehab because society had placed no real accountability on it's people as a whole for these atrocities.

Stand up and take responsibility for your society when it’s not an easy decision and quit being selfish!

And quit basing your decisions on fantasies and lofty philosophies.
Most of you who cry over the poor death penalty inmates have never seen a drop of real evil in your lives.

But nooooo, just because you don’t like the practice, because you couldn’t sleep at night over the death penalty (bs) - because you don’t think it’s *right* - you’d rather let a child rapists live, and risk another child's life?
That goes so far over the line of believability I can’t even comprehend such inane thinking.

And quit pretending you’d shed a tear over the perpetrator who fries or goes to the needle.
You’d hear about it on the news, *ooooh and ahhh* over the death penalty *victim* (you make me sick) and then you go right back to your reality TV shows.

Well wake up to this reality - They don’t deserve to take another breath - Once they’ve murdered, raped - their life is forfeit! (IMO)

When it's someone in your family that’s raped, murdered or God forbid when your 8 month old is sodomized to death - you'll be begging to flip the switch and don’t think you wont be.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
It never ceases to amaze me how selfish people can be.

Murderers and rapist, child killers are our responsibility, as a society.
It’s our responsibility to society to make sure these freaks will never be given a chance to repeat offend.

We need to stop being a bunch of namby-pamby wishy-washy little fruit cups and put down the animals who kill and maim and rape and murder, the convicted pedophiles, and remove the threat from our children’s nightmares - forever!

One of those freaks escape or are *let out on good behavior* to rape and kill a child - the blood's on societies hands as a whole.

So who’s blood would you rather deal with?
The guilty?
Or would you rather try to wash your hands of an innocent child's blood, a child who's killed by a repeat offender or someone who know they'll just get their hands slapped and put into rehab because society had placed no real accountability on it's people as a whole for these atrocities.

Stand up and take responsibility for your society when it’s not an easy decision and quit being selfish!

And quit basing your decisions on fantasies and lofty philosophies.
Most of you who cry over the poor death penalty inmates have never seen a drop of real evil in your lives.

But nooooo, just because you don’t like the practice, because you couldn’t sleep at night over the death penalty (bs) - because you don’t think it’s *right* - you’d rather let a child rapists live, and risk another child's life?
That goes so far over the line of believability I can’t even comprehend such inane thinking.

And quit pretending you’d shed a tear over the perpetrator who fries or goes to the needle.
You’d hear about it on the news, *ooooh and ahhh* over the death penalty *victim* (you make me sick) and then you go right back to your reality TV shows.

Well wake up to this reality - They don’t deserve to take another breath - Once they’ve murdered, raped - their life is forfeit! (IMO)

When it's someone in your family that’s raped, murdered or God forbid when your 8 month old is sodomized to death - you'll be begging to flip the switch and don’t think you wont be.

What disturbs me, is that people support the death penalty because they claim to love children!

I would rather my children live in a world without the death penalty.

I do not find it compassionate or loving of the children to scream KILL THEM ALL! KILL THEM ALL!

Besides, you won't care about the current crop of kids when they're adults.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
what would you say if we execute some one who was later to be found to be innocent? how would you make amends to that family? i do not want bad people on the streets at all. just have them put away for good as long as you have the right person.

i heard the other day on a talk radio station a caller in support of the death penalty said that a 5 percent error of people who were actually innocent being executed was an acceptable margin of error. that is the problem with the death penalty. once a person is dead, thats it.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne
what would you say if we execute some one who was later to be found to be innocent? how would you make amends to that family? i do not want bad people on the streets at all. just have them put away for good as long as you have the right person.

i heard the other day on a talk radio station a caller in support of the death penalty said that a 5 percent error of people who were actually innocent being executed was an acceptable margin of error. that is the problem with the death penalty. once a person is dead, thats it.

Most Americans according to Gallup think that's a price worth paying. That sickens me.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I would love to say I'm against the death penalty, because I think 2 wrongs don't make a right, and we are lowering ourselves to the level of the criminal.

IF we are to have the death penalty, it should only be used if the person committed murder, and has done this without a shadow of a doubt.

None of this "the evidence leads to this guy" and all the maybe rubbish. Not if there is a very real possibility of self-defense.

There can be NO DOUBT that the person killed another, with the intent to KILL. Regardless of their mental state.

I get really upset about how killing a police officer is punishable by the death penalty. Because while I know it is not always the case, and some of these people should get the death penalty, I've seen first-hand how it can be with the police. Many times things are not what we are shown. There is a huge difference between holding a gun to someone's head and pulling the trigger and blindly firing a shot behind you as you run away. One has definite intent. The other...I'd say the intent was getting away.

I could see, under the right conditions, the death penalty expanding and being used to delete certain types of people. I would think a lot would have to happen in that particular country to reach that point though.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by serendipitynow
I would love to say I'm against the death penalty, because I think 2 wrongs don't make a right, and we are lowering ourselves to the level of the criminal.

IF we are to have the death penalty, it should only be used if the person committed murder, and has done this without a shadow of a doubt.

None of this "the evidence leads to this guy" and all the maybe rubbish. Not if there is a very real possibility of self-defense.

There can be NO DOUBT that the person killed another, with the intent to KILL. Regardless of their mental state.

I get really upset about how killing a police officer is punishable by the death penalty. Because while I know it is not always the case, and some of these people should get the death penalty, I've seen first-hand how it can be with the police. Many times things are not what we are shown. There is a huge difference between holding a gun to someone's head and pulling the trigger and blindly firing a shot behind you as you run away. One has definite intent. The other...I'd say the intent was getting away.

I could see, under the right conditions, the death penalty expanding and being used to delete certain types of people. I would think a lot would have to happen in that particular country to reach that point though.

Hmmmmm yes. So are you for or against it as a principle? i.e., do you think it is a deterrent, memorializes and values the victim, etc.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

haven't seen that poll, but if true, it saddens me and sickens me.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

So what is your solution oh great one?
Here are the choices I see:

1.) Death
2.) Life in prison
3.) Prison term then released

[edit on 12/6/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne

haven't seen that poll, but if true, it saddens me and sickens me.

Yeah it's terrible. Most Americans believe innocent people have been executed, and that it is not a deterrent to crime, yet still support the death penalty.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I blame society for people's actions. That's the cold and hard truth to the matter. People aren't born with these desires of rape, or murder. It's because of the type of world/society we live in that pushes people over the edge. Parents raise and treat their children according to their own experiences in society... children are thus manipulated into those same actions.

Fix society and you'll fix generations to come.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

So what is your solution oh great one?
Here are the choices I see:

1.) Death
2.) Life in prison
3.) Prison term then released

Yeah and Texas is so safe too.

I think cops should leave the potheads and homeless alone and focus on the real criminals. That way it would be easy to contain the few there are in jail for life.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ogund.3
I blame society for people's actions. That's the cold and hard truth to the matter. People aren't born with these desires of rape, or murder. It's because of the type of world/society we live in that pushes people over the edge. Parents raise and treat their children according to their own experiences in society... children are thus manipulated into those same actions.

Fix society and you'll fix generations to come.

I agree in the sense I don't believe people are just plain evil and we should simply delete them and expect our children to be safe and all our problems to disappear.

We need to dig out the roots of crime, not whack at the leaves.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Wow abolish the death penalty?Sounds crazy to me,maybe we could send our killers over there to the UK then.By the way God supports the death penalty,it is right there in the Bible and I think we all know that ala does.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by debz325
Wow abolish the death penalty?Sounds crazy to me,maybe we could send our killers over there to the UK then.By the way God supports the death penalty,it is right there in the Bible and I think we all know that ala does.

Yeah but we don't live in a theocracy.

Isn't God supposed to forgive anyway?

How is NOT KILLING PEOPLE crazy?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by debz325

If god supports the death penalty, I don't support him. What a poo god that must be.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by ogund.3]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I feel safer in TX than anywhere else, friend. I have been to other states . . . even lived in a few.

There is a reason why TX is one of the only states in the USA that is not all screwed to hell. Because we have the sense to actually do what needs to be done.

Please explain to me why society should pay for the life needs of one who just killed a member of said society?

By the way . . . I do support legalizing marijuana. Homeless people need to abide by the same laws as everyone else.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join