Why the death penalty must be abolished

page: 7
3
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Well God is not the panzie people make him out to be,I can see how you would be confused.If someone hurt my loved one,I could kill them myself.God does not love evil.The only thing about God that is debatable would be if we as a society dish out justice perhaps than God might show them mercy?Not sure about that though.




posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
More so maybe then the guy that got by with it.



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ogund.3
 


God is a loving God, and he is a JUST God.

Justice must be served.



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
reply to post by ogund.3
 


God is a loving God, and he is a JUST God.

Justice must be served.



A reactive God.



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'll give the pro death penalty this much - before we had reliable prisons, the death penalty was necessary for some people to keep society safe.

Today, we have evolved. We will never see world peace if we continue to view death as justice.



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
At an average cost of nearly £40,000 per year per prisoner inclusive, I'd say bring back the death penalty too. A poster earlier in the thread mentioned they knew of someone who'd been on death row for 14 years, that is why the death penalty is largely ineffective (and has cost the tax payer nearly 600k). Sentence them, give them a short appeals process then take em round the back and put a bullet in them.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by quackers]



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yeah we should get rid of the death penalty and feed and house the convicts for the rest of their natural lives. That makes complete sense.

Chrono



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chronogoblin
Yeah we should get rid of the death penalty and feed and house the convicts for the rest of their natural lives. That makes complete sense.

Chrono


Is ANYONE with me? ANYONE?



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There could be another solution - let the victim or the victims family decide punishment for the crime, this way they could either try to make sense of why it happened and try to forgive that person or go ahead with punishment by way of execution etc..
I am not speaking for everyone here because not everyone would want to come face to face with the person who killed their loved one or even go ahead with ordering an execution as this could cause the person ordering it psychological problems.
It would be nice to have the opportunity to be able to take control of a situation like this as it would give the victim/family some understanding as to why it happened and give them the choice whether or not the death penalty would suffice.



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


It's not a sides thing Donnie.



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


It's not a sides thing Donnie.


True. I guess we're both on the side of good (I hope). But it seems everyone disagrees with me/thinks I'm crazy for questioning the merits of the death penalty.

Is it just human to be for it?



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by findlesticks
There could be another solution - let the victim or the victims family decide punishment for the crime, this way they could either try to make sense of why it happened and try to forgive that person or go ahead with punishment by way of execution etc..
I am not speaking for everyone here because not everyone would want to come face to face with the person who killed their loved one or even go ahead with ordering an execution as this could cause the person ordering it psychological problems.
It would be nice to have the opportunity to be able to take control of a situation like this as it would give the victim/family some understanding as to why it happened and give them the choice whether or not the death penalty would suffice.






I wonder how often the family would show mercy, and how often they would rip the perp apart.

I would think the latter would be more common ...



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


Um, no. It's human to have an opinion. You form your own, I completely respect that and completely disagree and think your looking at it from a very unrealistic angle but that is just that my opinion. Nothing more nothing less. And there are a great many that agree with you, just not answering your thread apparently.



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


If someone killed your mother, you would want them to spend the rest of their lives, getting an education. lifting weights, spending time watching cable, all done in the air condition confines of a modern prison?

You will foot the bill (by paying your taxes) for this person to eat three square meals a day, and have ability to eat snacks as he chooses. Listen to his Walkman, and socialize with his friends and family . . .

When he is the reason why your mother will no longer do all those things (besides being in a prison, obviously).

Brilliant man, brilliant.





[edit on 12/6/2009 by xxpigxx]



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I support the death penalty, but, wish it never had to be used. The only person who can prevent themselves from being subjected to a sentence of death, is the person committing the heinous crime. Because I believe personal responsibility is the single most important character trait one can possess, I have no sympathy for a person who loses their life because of having, unjustifiably, taken the life of another.

We have no way to measure the effectiveness of the death penalty, as a deterrence to crime. However, due to its existence, it is obvious that some will commit crimes, no matter the probability and severity of the consequences.

There is a saying that 90% of the laws are written for 10% of the people. A certain percentage of those will not be deterred by any means.



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


Um, no. It's human to have an opinion. You form your own, I completely respect that and completely disagree and think your looking at it from a very unrealistic angle but that is just that my opinion. Nothing more nothing less. And there are a great many that agree with you, just not answering your thread apparently.


Thanks


How is it unrealistic though exactly?



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


If someone killed your mother, you would want them to spend the rest of their lives, getting an education. lifting weights, spending time watching cable, all done in the air condition confines of a modern prison?

You will foot the bill (by paying your taxes) for this person to eat three square meals a day, and have ability to eat snacks as he chooses. Listen to his Walkman, and socialize with his friends and family . . .

When he is the reason why your mother will no longer do all those things (besides being in a prison, obviously).

Brilliant man, brilliant.





[edit on 12/6/2009 by xxpigxx]


I don't believe in revenge. It's that simple.

Would it suck if they were living the sweet life? Of course.



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Like with everything else, beauracracy plays a huge factor. If we could just get back to basics, I think most rational people would be supportive of the old 'eye for an eye' system. That's what I've always thought to be truly just and fair. You steal, lose you hand. You rape, lose your genitalia. You murder, you die.

Sometimes things are just way too simple. This country has an unfounded need to just over complicate everything. I know I am going to get slammed (by the bleeding hearts) for this but in reality that is the fairest, most just way to deal with criminal behavior. It's not necessary to spend billions of tax payer dollars on many of these drawn out (media whore) court cases. Murders shouldn't be fed and educated with our hard earned dollars. When will the masses just wake up already????



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975
Like with everything else, beauracracy plays a huge factor. If we could just get back to basics, I think most rational people would be supportive of the old 'eye for an eye' system. That's what I've always thought to be truly just and fair. You steal, lose you hand. You rape, lose your genitalia. You murder, you die.

Sometimes things are just way too simple. This country has an unfounded need to just over complicate everything. I know I am going to get slammed (by the bleeding hearts) for this but in reality that is the fairest, most just way to deal with criminal behavior. It's not necessary to spend billions of tax payer dollars on many of these drawn out (media whore) court cases. Murders shouldn't be fed and educated with our hard earned dollars. When will the masses just wake up already????


Does everyone think this way? Because if they do, I don't like being human that much!



posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I personally support capital punishment, criminals know they will have better heathcare than most, three meals a day, and a roof over there head. They have choosen to live outside the laws of our society so why should they recieve better treatment then some one liveing within the law; why should the law abiding people get burden with the care of them I say let their punishment fit the crime that was comitted. If this was the case there would be alot less crime in the country. But thats just my thoughts on it.





new topics
top topics
 
3
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join