It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the death penalty must be abolished

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I foresee the return of the death penalty to the UK, the EU, Australia, Canada and New Zealand in the early '10s as society breaks down and crime gets really bad.

The tide is already returning to support for capital punishment in the UK, Canada and Australia. This is due to things like the Bali bombings, the Greyhound beheading and some nasty murders of children that have been on the news.

People will be more than happy to see the death penalty return in those countries, and be expanded in America.

Crimes that will be punishable by death will include all degrees of murder, treason, most sex crimes, and major cases of financial fraud and possibly even illegal immigration/entry. This could add up to the slaughter of millions of people.

This might sound awesome to some people, but I warn you - the government will use this new power to eliminate opponents. Talk smack about the government, and you will be tried for treason, framed of child molestation and happily put to death by vote of a jury of your peers, or maybe just shot in the head after a "confrontation" with the police.

Countries with the death penalty almost always have worse human rights records than countries who have abolished it.

I warn you - do not support the death penalty! It will be used against you.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Hmm.
Do you have a solution?

I know someone on death row. Been there for 14 years. While waiting, he has got his "high school" diploma, took a pile of courses and become a Pastor or something.
He has legions of bleeding hearts trying to get him off of death row.

I wonder if these bleeding hearts would still try so hard to save him, if they saw first hand what he did to that child and her mother. I definitely know they weren't around to try to save them, back then.

Sometimes, I think the trash really needs to be taken out. Not for bad mouthing the gov't, but for someone who can do something so hideous...?
That isn't something rehabilitation can fix...and besides, the people he killed can't be rehabilitated.

I'm a firm believer in "eye for an eye". Or sorts.

Is killing him, sinking to their level? Not likely. I don't mangle and destroy and cut off one of my own digits for fun. But if it develops gangrene or some other destructive disease, it is removed.

But the possibility of the death penalty evolving into what you speak? I have a hard time seeing that, without injecting paranoia. Maybe my blinders are too tight today. Maybe living and enjoying the days as they come, are harder on me, taking away the energy to worry about how the future will unfold. Prepared is ok. But the worry takes away from the now.

Hmm, I don't even think I'm making sense anymore. Must be late. haha.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
We probably wont have any say in it as they will be indiscriminately firing into crowds of innocent people.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Have you seen the recent rise on ammunition taxes? They won't be indiscriminately firing into anything... it's too expensive.

Chemical weapons, white phosphorous, and napalm, however... extremely cheap and always effective.

However... the death penalty is a tricky subject. As a human being and Christian, I'd love to be able to forgive and forget.

As a rational man, however, sometimes that is impossible to do.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I get where you’re coming from, I use to be adamantly against the death penalty. If you look at the results of nations not having the death penalty you’ll find that many have less people in jail and have lower crime rates and lower murder rates. When it comes to lower murder rates this is often true in the US as well. It’s puzzling how people are so quick to want to brutalize others without realizing that a lack of brutality usually gets more results. This was one reason for me supporting abolishing the death penalty. Another was witnessing how many innocent people ended up on death row.

I’ve only recently changed my position. Do the things I stated above still stand? Yes, but I’ve realized with the technology they have today that the chances of convicting innocent people have gone way down. And the number of actual executions that have taken place in this country in contrast to the number of murders is very slim. I’ve realized that comparing execution to murder is like comparing legal imprisonment to kidnapping or holding someone hostage. I’ve realized that guards working for our prison system don’t need to be putting their lives at risk everyday to watch over non-criminally insane scumbags who raped and killed children or who decided to commit the worst kind of arson. I’m not assuming that all prison guards are the best of people, I’ve heard stories that I wish were deceiving my ears, but generally these are people who signed up to do one of the sh#ttiest jobs in the world, looking after the often violent and sociopathic muck of society and these people do get injured and killed on the job. People will tell you murderers are least likely to go back to committing the same crime, but what about those who continue wanting to kill people? What is to stop people like that from continuing to try to hurt others if they can never be sentenced to death? If you can only have life in prison then what does anyone within that environment have to lose? Why not attack guards or fellow inmates you can’t stand if you’re already going to be in prison for life?

With the death penalty there are just too many thoughts about the murderers and the murdered that kept me up at night, I just couldn’t live with being against the death penalty no matter what the circumstances are. I still understand and respect those who see things differently.

I still don’t think juveniles should be sentenced to death, even if an underage person is tried as an adult. You can’t just go around deciding that young people can make that kind of decision knowing the consequences and then turn around and make other laws that say they aren’t in the right mind to consent to a world of other things while knowing the consequences of their actions, that’s a complete contradiction within the system.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Man, for me it is simple ...

death penalty for everybody who is a killer ...

some of u will say, ONLY GOD CAN TAKE A LIFE ... ok, you could tell that to the guy who killed your loved one ... because he wont come back from the death ...

for me it is just an absurd that some many people are killing without any type of punishment ... you just cannot recover a guy that likes to kill ... that it something that you will never be able to do ... some people just are born to kill

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

With the death penalty there are just too many thoughts about the murderers and the murdered that kept me up at night, I just couldn’t live with being against the death penalty no matter what the circumstances are. I still understand and respect those who see things differently.

Hmmmmm. For such people, maybe they could just put them in solitary confinement if they're extremely dangerous, like a tiger or something?

But I think the death penalty can never be a solution to crime. There will always be criminals, but if we fix poverty and drugs and such, the few criminals that will be left can be treated in a humane but just fashion.

We do need to stop letting violent criminals out and picking on pot smokers and the homeless.

Have you decided the death penalty is right now and you support it?

But yeah, as despicable as some criminals are, like the ones that hurt kids, I still hate the idea of "an eye for an eye". What is so great about the concept?

I find it disgusting that people want to bring back the death penalty in the name of the children.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bad man incorporated

I wonder if these bleeding hearts would still try so hard to save him, if they saw first hand what he did to that child and her mother. I definitely know they weren't around to try to save them, back then.

So you would like to honor those innocent people with his blood?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
We probably wont have any say in it as they will be indiscriminately firing into crowds of innocent people.

True. But it will start with use of the death penalty.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The Death penalty will never return to Australia, because no matter how heinous some ones crimes are no one has the right to take someone else's life

besides i think sitting in jail for the rest of their life is far worse than any death penalty could ever be at least this way they suffer and are forced to reflect on what they did, death is the easy way out.

just as long as life means life not 15 years

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred

besides i think sitting in jail for the rest of their life is far worse than any death penalty could ever be at least this way they suffer and are forced to reflect on what they did, death is the easy way out.

But that's what I don't get. What is the point of making them suffer. The idea is to quarantine them, not to make them "pay". Unfortunately, there is nothing they can do to pay back the victims.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
P.S how many people have been executed in the US only later to find out they were innocent, capital punishment is a farce.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I still don’t think juveniles should be sentenced to death, even if an underage person is tried as an adult. You can’t just go around deciding that young people can make that kind of decision knowing the consequences and then turn around and make other laws that say they aren’t in the right mind to consent to a world of other things while knowing the consequences of their actions, that’s a complete contradiction within the system.

Yes. I mean cmon you can't smoke a cig or drink a beer but you can get the death penalty? Please.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

P.S how many people have been executed in the US only later to find out they were innocent, capital punishment is a farce.

Yup. It's a barbaric practice. That's the problem with society ... people still believe killing is the answer.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

nothing they can ever do will repay for the suffering they have caused, however to murder them would make us just as bad as they are and at least incarcerated they have been removed from society and unable to cause more suffering on others.

murder is murder ... wether its state sanctioned or 2 people

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

nothing they can ever do will repay for the suffering they have caused, however to murder them would make us just as bad as they are and at least incarcerated they have been removed from society and unable to cause more suffering on others.

murder is murder ... wether its state sanctioned or 2 people

Exactly. I just meant I thought you opposed DP because it isn't cruel enough

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I’ve realized that guards working for our prison system don’t need to be putting their lives at risk everyday to watch over non-criminally insane scumbags who raped and killed children or who decided to commit the worst kind of arson.

I think people like that are insane. Or at least, they lack the ability to feel certain emotions.

But I see what you mean about putting them down. But it's pointless to hate them or make them suffer imo.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

the DP isnt cruel enough, as i said earlier dying is the easiest way out, however i dont deny that people (some) can change i dont know if you know much about what happened in Aus but some one like Martin bryant hes not mentally stable enough to be released and Ivan Milat should never be released because hes an evil person, but somone who accidentally kills someone in the heat of the moment should maybe be given the oportunity to redeem them selves ... maybe... depends on the circumstances...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

the DP isnt cruel enough, as i said earlier dying is the easiest way out, however i dont deny that people (some) can change i dont know if you know much about what happened in Aus but some one like Martin bryant hes not mentally stable enough to be released and Ivan Milat should never be released because hes an evil person, but somone who accidentally kills someone in the heat of the moment should maybe be given the oportunity to redeem them selves ... maybe... depends on the circumstances...

Interesting.

But why must we think in "eye for an eye" terms at all?

That's what's holding us back.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
crime and punishment can be tricky it all comes down to the circumstances, so its hard to apply a blanket punishment to a crime because every crim has special circumstances, but sickos, like Milat should be given life without release, unfortunatley the tax payer has to pay for their ... accommodation, but its gotta be better than having them prey on the rest of us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join