It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Wow I knew the AP was going down hill but this is incredible.

I currently live in a small community that has a Muslim owned grocery store, an African immigrant (1st generation) runs the liqueur store, the Chinese restaurant is run by Philippinos, The Arcade is run by a Native American, the gas station is run by another Muslim gentleman, a British man runs the tow truck company and the auto shop is run by a German. The bank staff (all 3 of them) is all of European heritage. The hair dresser is Irish; the doctors at the clinic are European, while the pharmacist is Pakistani.

It is 35 miles to the next town with any stores or 70 miles to the nearest city. That next town has gas about 2% cheaper then here.

So other than the fact I only shop at the liqueur store once per year because I don’t drink, but I do use wine in cooking. I go into the grocery store every couple of days. I support my local businesses because they are local, and support the local economy. These people are my neighbors, while I may disagree with their politics or beliefs, I would never tell them how to live and I defend them anytime any of the local rednecks talk trash about them.

They only time I have ever avoided using a local business was a few years ago the gas station started having really bad quality gas and I was having to do a lot of work on my vehicle (which was done my the mechanic here in town). In the end I told the gas station owner why I had stopped filling up at his station. Two years and a few dozen other people doing the same thing he replaced his tanks and his fuel supplier and we all went back to buying gas there.

Why is it “news” and “heroic” when someone buys only black, but if I buy white I’d be a racist? Buy local, support your neighbors as long as they sell a good product and avoid traveling long distances just to spite your face.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mhinsey

See I understand what you are trying to say but.....

The issue is that.... i'm not saying you have no say in what culture you belong to, but you look it at so differently.

And I guess that is sort of an identity crisis if you would be open to this term.

You are saying that this is your culture and you don't care about where your blood originally came from.

This may be what your identity is now and you know what your interests are and perhaps you a patriotic for the country you now reside it, but that's not culture.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Not really, just because they rastafari is an abrahamic religion and has alot of similarities with christianity doesn't mean their entire culture is like yours.

Never said the entire culture was like ours, but we had ALOT of influence on it.

Ya so..............
lol, the corner store across the street from my house, the cashier is korean
doesn't mean I know alot about Koreans
hahahahaaaa

Don't know what that has to do with what I said...I made 2 relevant points, in regard to me being a white man but trusting a black man to manage my health, ergo my life, as well as giving him quite a bit of my white money. 2nd point was the irony that this very succesful black man has taken a greater interest in chinese culture than african culture. It's the melting pot I refer to.

Then either you don't know alot of blacks, contrary to what you say
or you just don't know them that well.

I actually have discussed race issues with many of them, and they agree with me, focus on race leads to anger and hatred. I really don't care if you believe me or not, but i'm not a liar.

Most of them care about Africa
You really must not understand them

No, they really don't. You must not understand your own people, tell me, and please be honest, what tribe did your ancestors originate from?

And backwards pants?
That wasn't even a big trend, that was started by Kriss Kross
it lasted not very long at all and most people didn't wear it outside either much

I know ALL about Kriss Kross, they made everybody (including me, lol) jump jump back then. I was in grade school, lol...i was into NWQ, ice-t, even had vanilla ice lines shaved in my moronic head. And before that I was into michael jackson, parachute pants and beat street, breakin, etc., but also the varied hair bands, lol. I grew up in a big city, we ALL were into the mainstream, urban culture. I still like some of the rap and hip hop, out there.

Where do you live?
Do you only know blacks that live in the city and dress a certain way?

I'm sorry but everything you say tells me you don't know blacks well.

I'm in Phoenix AZ. Very connected to LA, but most people that live here are from everywhere else. Me and the indians are just about the only natives here...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

It is American culture to be ORNERY and have a entitled sense of self. Ha.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I never said I don't care where my familial ties come from. Not true. I come from Adam and Eve as do you (if you are Christian) but that is another thread debate. I also, more recently, come from American Indian and Irish among others but no I do not define my culture from them. I love the Irish culture but that doesn't mean I need to start wearing Irish outfits and drinking like a fish (yea stereotyping for analogy). I love the American Indian and even utilize some of the ideals in my life. However, I am first and foremost an American and Southern American. I am freaking proud of the crazy, liberal, straightlaced, diverse and generally crazy culture that makes up American culture. If you don't think we are a culture - check out Japan going crazy for our American culture (stereotyped that they are).

I love living in America with its diversity. It has been stated by several of you that living in America does not have it's overlaying culture. I disagree and will continue to disagree. The very definition of what comprises of America is the diversity and sometimes craziness because of that diversity. THAT is our American culture. We ALLOW - no even encourage and enforce that diversity.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
No, they really don't. You must not understand your own people, tell me, and please be honest, what tribe did your ancestors originate from?

hahaha
Dude
Look at my Avatar
are you under the assumption that i'm black?

I know ALL about Kriss Kross, they made everybody (including me, lol) jump jump back then. I was in grade school, lol...i was into NWQ, ice-t, even had vanilla ice lines shaved in my moronic head. And before that I was into michael jackson, parachute pants and beat street, breakin, etc., but also the varied hair bands, lol. I grew up in a big city, we ALL were into the mainstream, urban culture. I still like some of the rap and hip hop, out there.

that's not urban culture
the mere fact that you included vanilla ice in there means it wasn't urban at all. haha
just kidding............. but no really!

I'm in Phoenix AZ. Very connected to LA, but most people that live here are from everywhere else. Me and the indians are just about the only natives here...

You are a native?
How much percentage?
I don't get it, out of everyone, assuming you have a high percentage, you should understand what i'm trying to convey the most.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Snisha

Excellent POST!

4 people represent an entire culture.
You are a prophet and a philosopher.

And yes, you cannot represent Jamaica without dreadlocks.

I wish I met you long ago smart man.

EDIT: Star for you!

Star BACK to you SMARTAS*! I am not presuming to equate those 4 people with ALL of Jamaican culture. It was just an "example"

The "dreadlock" reference was for the purpose of injecting a bit of humor to my post.

Before you continue to cop your condescending faux intellectual superiority(as usual) know this "smart man", I lived in Jamaica for 10 years. I still have many friends of ALL RACES there and I have not a doubt that I possess a greater understanding of Jamaican pride than YOU EVER WILL because I HAVE IT PERSONALLY!!! I have ALWAYS considered the island a second home.

Now please continue on with your supremely pontifical brilliance Mr.Hotshot bumbleclo*

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

I think I distinctly heard a low tooth whistle prior to that post ;-)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
you see the world is going upside down. from one evil stiupidity to another. it is the same as having the shop with the label "whites only"

good find. S and F

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I guess I am worn out from the whys/wherefors of explaining why being Southern is a culture and why being an American is part of culture.

It will have to be an agree to disagree because I am pigheaded when it comes to being an American and Southern. Southern - what do you expect?

[edit on 13-5-2009 by mhinsey]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

hahaha
Dude
Look at my Avatar
are you under the assumption that i'm black?

I would certainly hope so, the way you seem to be speaking on behalf of them...you're avatar tells me you're in montreal, are there no black people there?

that's not urban culture
the mere fact that you included vanilla ice in there means it wasn't urban at all. haha
just kidding............. but no really!

Say what you want about Vanilla Ice now, lol...he was HUGE back then, just like MC Hammer and all the other one hit wonders. People made fun of him cuz he was a white rapper, but look at the Beasty Boys, people can't make fun of them because they were a huge part of rap in it's infancy and they were white.

You are a native?
How much percentage?

100%, I was born here, lol.

I don't get it, out of everyone, assuming you have a high percentage, you should understand what i'm trying to convey the most.

I'm not "Native American", i am white, but again i was born here. My dad is from Toronto and my mom is from Missouri, so i'm the first born here, like i said everybody else is from everywhere else here...

[edit on 13-5-2009 by 27jd]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mhinsey

Sure, I can agree with that
But i'm sure you'll agree that it is apples and oranges... kind of

Because we are talking about culture here
while you are taking about integration.

The culture I speak of is a pure one, not pure meaning full of purity but meaning not mixed
the culture you speak of is either a mix of cultures of just the apreciation of it
which is a different animal.

That's why many people won't agree with you
Because you don't live somewhere where the culture is a pure one(non-mixed).
So the rest of the world is not talking on the same page as you, and if your not on the same page then your not reading the same book.

However that doesn't mean I can't apreciate what you are trying to convey, because I do.
All I am saying is that it's different.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This story just proves the ignorance of racism. This pack mentality is the detrimental flaw in civilizations.. Primitive school of thought, this story not only proves ignorance it also tries to motivate other people of color to do it also. Did these people really see the big picture? I am sure the art of economics is really looking at a class or skin color when you consume their product from the vender you get it from. LOL tell ya what you want to get rid of racism, stop dividing the CHURCHES.. Until their are no white churches and no black churches your gonna have the hate speeches in the sanctuary and continue the hate. JUST CHURCHES. Yeah I saw that youtube. Also if you don't like living with the people you share your country with get the hell out. I may look like someone who brought you here but I had nothing to do with it. Don't like me go back home then. This is a very sad story, its what will prevent further evolution, and that is why all the wrong technologies are developed, weapons for example. Its a shame. Their are just not enough people that can think outside of the box out there.. I am all for being proud of who i am, and where I came from, but I am not gonna go outta my way to buy things just based of them looking like me. Maybe I just don't understand..

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Adrifter]

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Adrifter]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I would certainly hope so, the way you seem to be speaking on behalf of them...you're avatar tells me you're in montreal, are there no black people there?

an Avatar is an image
I meant the image I have under my username
it's the flag of India

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

an Avatar is an image
I meant the image I have under my username
it's the flag of India

Right, but I didn't recognize that as india's flag, since it's pretty abstract, so the only other thing that told me anything about you was your location. I have many indian neighbors in my particular apartment complex, all from india and yes, they're culture is quite set apart from ours. They tend to keep to themselves, but are very polite and nice to live around. I imagine you are not far removed, if at all, from india...but i can assure that is not the case with most blacks in America, unless they or their family actually live in Africa.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Amazing how this thread has changed. Its like throwing a cat into a dogpound. Everyone has to get their 2 bits on the race question. Lest we forget, this is ATS and the article was about some couple doing their shopping among black proprietors only and ....is this the start of some movement. Nowhere did I see that this needed to turn into some big debate over racial issues. Honestly, who the hell cares? Debating race .....*shakes head in amused disappointment. As I have stated at least twice......

These guys are scammers. Their website asks for donations to help the cause. They know there's plenty of suckers out there willing to get on board with them and DONATE to their cause. AP did a nice ADVERTISEMENT for them just by doing the article, and incidently helping to perpetuate racial bias and divisivness within the country. ( Heh, lets whip out the race card and stir up the masses instead of trying to track down 9 TRILLION dollars )

And finally, just to lighten it up a bit, I wanna see mhinsey in that sexy white sheet at the KKK rally she mentioned!

PG

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This is America where people are allowed to shop where they please and patronize who they please. As narrow as I may think this is, these people in the story have the choice to do whatever they please. I personally think the Black Community in this country has had it's culture and psychology completely raped and destroyed and if these people feel driving an extra fifteen minutes to patronize their own helps to combat that, god bless 'em. I personally think it's the weakest, laziest thing they could do and I'm appalled that it's "news" but still there's nothing wrong here.

However, if the black community wants to raise itself up and these people want to help their own succeed, why aren't they volunteering in urban schools or mentoring children? That's where the real problem is in my opinion amongst the black community is that not nearly enough is done to ensure their children are educated and pushed in the right direction to be leaders and intellectuals. I fevertly believe in America that a person is a person regardless of race, creed or religion however it seems the American black culture is designed to subvert and destroy young minds by encouraging deviant behavior and ostracizing children that show ambition. The man in the story says himself that it's incredible there isn't enough black store owners out there. Well, create more and encourage and educate black youth so they can become community and business leaders. This buy black approach is great but it's like trying to treat a decapitation with a band-aid.

This is a touchy subject and of course I'm an outsider looking in. If the people in this story think buying their tooth paste from a black man really benefits their community as a whole, that's great... but it's largely ignorant.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by pizzaguy

And finally, just to lighten it up a bit, I wanna see mhinsey in that sexy white sheet at the KKK rally she mentioned!

PG

It would be a hot sight. Slit up to the thigh on each side and just a smidge tighter than the normal...

Nothing like a woman in KKK tight whitey to get the blood pumping. If you are going to be racist then by god be goodlooking doing it!!

[sarcasm being used here for those who are sarcasm impaired].

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
I hope I didn't offend anyone.

I find hoping not to offend anyone extremely offensive....

I agree with you about them spending their money how they want, as I mentioned before. But that should be between them, to come out and rub our noses in it for attention or whatever else, is pretty tasteless and provocative.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is racism pure and simple. Being a white male, I could never get away with anything like this. Seriously I don't see what the black community is crying about anymore.

I wish I could shop white only and advertise it. I wish I could come up with W.E.T tv to battle B.E.T, or miss white America, or WACP (White American College fund) to battle NAACP, or any other black only groups that are out there. I'm tired of hearing racism from them. When there are so many race (black only) groups out there. Who is actually promoting racism here?

Don't even get me going on repreation's.

Sorry about the rant. I'm sure I'll get another warning. `

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join