It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Lots of emotionally charged responses so far...

Anyway, I would just like to point out that anything that helps black communities lift themselves out of systemic poverty, crime, and lack of education is a good thing in my book.

If black people represented an equal picture of American "success" then yeah I'd say this was racism. But since the majority of African Americans do not represent this picture, but actually the opposite, it's understandable that to me that someone might want to help their culture out.

If a black man has a grocery store in a black neighborhood and a boost in business allows him to send his kids to college and hire workers to get them off the streets, how is that a bad thing?

When we lift the black community up, we reduce systemic imprisonment, increase their level of education, make our city streets safer, increase tax revenue, and decrease tax expenditures on expensive prisons and 'round the clock care of petty criminals.

That's a bad thing?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Free to make their own choice, free to be racist, I have no problem with it.

I do have a problem with the MSM elevating this racist couple to that of "Hero".

Hell, if I white person even says "My People" we are shunned from society as bigots and backward hill jacks.

At the same time, I am not surprised at all.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
There would be no story if the buy black effort was easy.

Imagine for a moment where 12% of all businesses were black owned. If that were the case, this wouldn't be a story.

So, for all the people who are upset over the blatant racism of this story get over it. The real story is how few businesses are black owned.

The real question is why are there so few black owned businesses?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Exactly. If we would take more time to understand the history behind the situation of another culture and why they are where they are, then the story makes much more sense.

Every individual has personal responsibility for their actions and their 'destiny', so to speak, but we as a community and a nation also share some responsibility in ensuring the very system we live in is fair and just to all of its members.

If anyone is interested, I suggest they research African Americans in LA (specifically South Central). It's a prime example of how much damage an unfair system can do to a culture, and how it can mire a people in the worst conditions for generations.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hi Mhinsey,

reply to post by mhinsey

Much as i feel compelled to try and explain my views i think the unhappiness that results from believing as you do is a not entirely unfair reward for what i see as your clear bigotry. I sincerely hope you can get past the idea the victims of America's racist past have recovered much and that you can find a way to stop blaming/hating the victims for trying to support themselves as any other culturals/ethnic group would.

If would appreciate it if you don't respond to this post and simply allow others to come judge both of our comments so far.

Stellar

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
What If I started buying from white-only businesses?

I'd be lynched in the streets as a racist and redneck and god knows what else.

But if Blacks do it it is ok?

Double standards really **** me off.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

Why is this racism?

We want people to buy American...

There is the buy local foods movement...

Buy black?

You can buy white if you want to...

The idea of keeping your money in the community to support it is not a bad thing... if they want to keep their money in the black community then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it...

I buy from many different small businesses but the overall idea behind my spending patterns is to keep the money local whenever possible even if I have to pay a little more and I have been praised before when I have mentioned this...

So how is this couple any different?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

It's the rationalization for it that gets to me. There's no excuse for it.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by pizzaguy
The problem I have with this article at all is that for some reason, its news. Why is that? I live in the Dallas area and I get around the metroplex often. My experience, it is largely that way anyhow. Asians predominately go to Asian owned businesses. Indians to Indian stores. Hispanics to Hispanic shops, and so on. No one seems to feel the need to jump up and make some sort of article about it. Like someone in this thread already mentioned, is it because of the website mentioned at the bottom? Notice, on their website there is a spot where you can go and "DONATE" to the cause.

Heh, these guys are trying to sucker anyone out there to just give them money! All for the cause, of course.

Pretty ballsy, play the race card and ask for money while you do it.

PG

Do you really want to know why? It's not that hard to understand the reason and it's really simple..... something called... language
My mother is japanese and don't talk very well portuguese. Of course she would shop in japanese ower stores MORE than me because it's easer to her.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

This is got to be one of the stupidest thing since I heard some clown car say, "they do jobs americans won't do".

How blatantly racist of this couple.

And the fact that a news agency published the racist crap is equally disgusting.

What do you think would happen if a couple decided to only patronize white businesses????? Oh it would be picked up by a news agency all right but instead of making the couple out to be hero's, they'd be PERSECUTED as neo-nazi racists.

Another poster said, if you want to stop racism, stop making it about us and them. That is one hell of a great point !!!

Both the news organization and the couple should be ashamed of themselves.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm tired of "reverse racism" too. People who think whites are evil because of history.

And that non-European cultures are the epitome of all goodness.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Lots of emotionally charged responses so far...

If a black man has a grocery store in a black neighborhood and a boost in business allows him to send his kids to college and hire workers to get them off the streets, how is that a bad thing?

When we lift the black community up, we reduce systemic imprisonment, increase their level of education, make our city streets safer, increase tax revenue, and decrease tax expenditures on expensive prisons and 'round the clock care of petty criminals.

That's a bad thing?

Why doesn't the couple move into the black area then? Are they paying property taxes into a "white" school system but then driving across town to shop?

As far as a black guy being able to send his kid to college, they can do that anyway with all the grants and the like black get just for being black. If someone is concerned with sending kids to college shop white!

The college thing doesn't touch me deeply. As far as imprisonment those type individuals probably wouldn't work anyway, sell crack, whatever.

No this is some expansion of the sort of economic welfare guilt politics. When whites do business with white its about business not race.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
There would be no story if the buy black effort was easy.

Imagine for a moment where 12% of all businesses were black owned. If that were the case, this wouldn't be a story.

So, for all the people who are upset over the blatant racism of this story get over it. The real story is how few businesses are black owned.

The real question is why are there so few black owned businesses?

You're right!! I can't believe I didn't see it this way.

I propose we take 20% of white owned businesses, and give them to Blacks to own them. After all, something in society is limiting the Black population from owning companies...

Hispanics seem to do it. Asians do it extremely well. Every gas station I can think of is owned by an Arab...

Maybe blacks have not found their niche in the market yet. Well, until they do, let's give white businesses to blacks.. to many damn white business owners anyways.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Why not "buy local" instead of "buy racist"? The local community should be made up of all the people living there, which should make an effort to have personal relations and a common language.

Segregation was the way of South Africa, is the way of Isreal and other places around the world. It has never done anything except breed violence. It's time to realise this and make an effort to integrate communities, regardless of race or creed.

Segregation is always a fear based behaviour, and as a lot of posters on ATS have become aware of, little if anything good comes out of fear based emotional motivations, regardless of the level of rationalization attempted to justify them. At it's core it's a reptilian brain fight or flight autonomous response.

We, as humans, can do better.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

WHOA WHOA WHOA!

Are you implying that the Black community is the reason the streets are not safe? Are you also implying that they are a bunch of uneducated dolts that can do nothing but commit petty crimes?

I see you threw in "tax revenue", how cute. Black people are nothing to you but a way to increase your government handouts.

Take your bleeding heart and cram it up your ______________________ (fill in the blank)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Lets not become part of the isotope of how things fail people.

Bottom line is this AP story is horrible, and promotes allot of bad values and principals for AMERICAN citizens, its not healthy. I know their are racist people out their, we just do not need anymore to be bred from stories like this. I just wish we could fix this, instead of reading stories like this is all. Why can't we all just be Americans? Do we need an enemy for that? If so may it please not be ourselves. We are divided enough with class, and money. If you do not like someone give em enough time to show their attitude first..
God bless and peace...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I'm gonna start wearing a shirt that says "Thanks to this couple's great ideas, I know exclusively buy from whites" in the back, and in the front, I'm gonna have it read "When you buy WHITE, you know it's RIGHT!"

oh, and I'll make sure that there's a picture of them on the shirt so people know EXACTLY who I'm talking about. That way they can't call ME racist, without calling THEM racist too.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Question]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Heh. I wish this family the best of luck in their endeavor. I suggest they really go for it and buy only products that are solely produced by black people. I doubt they will be able to buy much. Oh well, to each their own. They have my full support in this endeavor. Maybe I, as a white person, didn't get MLK's message correctly? Meanwhile, I will continue to buy things that give me the best value for my dwindling dollars, no matter the color of the skin of the person selling to me.

Meanwhile, I would bet a paycheck that this family "buys" Obama based on the color of his skin. Which, by the way, isn't black.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth

WHOA WHOA WHOA!

Are you implying that the Black community is the reason the streets are not safe? Are you also implying that they are a bunch of uneducated dolts that can do nothing but commit petty crimes?

I see you threw in "tax revenue", how cute. Black people are nothing to you but a way to increase your government handouts.

Take your bleeding heart and cram it up your ______________________ (fill in the blank)

Wow, thanks for the ignorant and immature personal attacks. I see rather than intelligently respond to anything in my post you chose to attack my character, which shows that you

A) have no idea what you're talking about
B) are completely ignorant of the situation

The facts are urban black communities live in systemic crime and poverty. The facts are blacks are disproportionately imprisoned compared to the rest of the population, largely due to petty or drug related crimes. The facts are black communities are mired in crime and poverty because of racist policies of the past that have and will affect them for years to come. The facts are what these people are doing can only help that situation. Please, be my guest and try to form a coherent response that doesn't attack my character but rather refutes what I have said.

Why don't you try refuting anything in my post. Oh, I'll be waiting for awhile because I'm sure because you can't.

black people are nothing but a way to increase your government handouts

Well, I didn't realize I was receiving any welfare assistance, but thank you for another unsubstantiated personal attack. I'm not sure if you know anything about government, but taxes don't just go to welfare assistance.

In the future, I'd do a little bit more thinking and research when I reply to other posters. Trust me, you'll sound much more intelligent.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
If you need someone to explain the hypocrisy and absurbidty in this you need to educate yourself on what MLK and the civil rights movement were trying to achieve. The people who agree with this are missing a point that I haven't seen anyone make (I didn't read all the replies). I don't agree but I understand the idea and concept of this "experiment" which is to help your own. This is done by many groups let it be a state or a religion or whatever and it's not that big of a deal. However, these people are going further. These people are making pacts to search for black businesses and go out of your way to only buy from blacks even it's for your health (as seen with whatever his stomach problem is). They are more or less boycotting all other races by not buying from them even if it means you don't buy anything (seen when she talks about giving up things)...a variation of "If a can't have it then no one can".

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join