It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Most of my life, I've wondered why there were not more black owned businesses. I've lived in big cities with sizable African American communities but almost non of the businesses are owned by African Americans.

Even in the areas that have a high concentration of African Americans, almost none of the business are owned by African Americans.

Why is that?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

I know! And I am in the same situation. The community I live in is mostly run by Blacks and Hispanics. Do you have any Idea how far I am going to have to drive now just to shop and a business owned by white people? At least 20 minutes! It's worth it though, I am a white guy after all, I feel like a making a sacrifice like that is really going to help empower white people. Keep us from gettin' stomped on by "the man", and all that.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I am honestly utterly SHOCKED by the blunt ignorance of the people that are supporting this couple and supporting the idea of segregation because of the misguided notion of "Oh well we done them black folks real bad! durr! so now we gots to pay the price"

Have people honestly forgotten their history? Do you people honestly think that blacks were the ONLY slaves in colonial america? Please do yourself a favor and read your history. Before the very first black slave even landed on american shores, there were IRISH slaves (yes that's right, WHITE slaves) and who do you think built the railroads during the old west? Blacks? nope, it was CHINESE slaves.

In england, nobles and royalty had indentured servants, which was just a nice way of saying "house slave" and guess what? they were WHITE!
Greeks and romans ALSO had slaves, some were captive prisoners of war, some were actual greeks or romans.

Maybe we should have all the Irish and the chinese start bitching and moaning to the govt. for special priviledges and repayment for their slavery. But I doubt that will happen, you know why? because they're not a bunch of crybabies who can't seem to let go of the past. That and the fact that they're not a bunch of p***ies.

Fact is, slavery happened in the past, it was just how societies worked at the time. We may not like it, but that's how things were. So I'm sorry black folk, but you were NOT the only ones that were treated like crap, that was life back then, this is now. Now deal with it.

Now GET OVER IT and get back to work! You know the reason so many DON'T reach the american dream? Because you're too busy bi**ing and moaning over trivial issues like race, when you should be PURSUING your dream!

It's embarrassing to even hear these stories because I myself have met smart and succesful black people, one of them is one of my best friends and even mentored me when I was looking to understand how business and accounting worked (he was my boss too, but I always say he was my teacher more so than anything), and trust me, they DO NOT have this stupid "victim" mentality that so many portray. When you whine like this, you only do a disservice to your community and to YOURSELF. Nothing worse than a coward who doesn't have self-respect they have to blame SOMEONE ELSE for their problems.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I feel the need to post this video as it's been inspiring to me, and helped me get through tough times, This I believe would apply to everyone, not just blacks

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
Man are all you people overreacting!

As an analogy, think about bopping someone in the nose. Of course that is a bad thing. On the other hand, if that someone was being aggressive towards you, bopping them on the nose might be just the right thing to do.

Segregation and racism is bad - no doubt. But, if you have been the subject of it for years and years, such as blacks have been in the US, then might a little of the same not be a legitimate counter measure? Fire can b e destructive, but fighting fire with fire is a common practice.

These people are attempting to right a long standing wrong:

"We have the real power to do something, to use the money we spend every day to solve our problems," Maggie Anderson said
They are trying to do something constructive -- good for them!

Its not the same as a racial group that is in a majority position using that racial difference as a clout against the minority. This is a minority attempting to use some self empowerment to overcome a prejudice that has been exercised against them for so long.

That they seek to help their own racial minority is in no way a threat to the comfortable racial majority. Get a grip already.

Yep

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Question
I am honestly utterly SHOCKED by the blunt ignorance of the people that are supporting this couple and supporting the idea of segregation because of the misguided notion of "Oh well we done them black folks real bad! durr! so now we gots to pay the price"

Either you show me who in this thread spoke with this dialect or that is a racist statement!

Perhaps you should be shocked at yourself.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by george_gaz
Why is that the "black community" is the only community that needs "empowering"?

Every "race" has suffered atrocities at the hands of another. What about the Chinese building the rail roads? Those immigrant workers surely went through hell. What about the Jews? Having been persecuted through history?

Yep, and have you seen groups these cultures have created to support their "communities"?

www.chinese-community-center.org...
www.cchca.com...
www.ccchouston.org...

www.jewish.com...
www.jewishcommunityaction.org...

What's wrong with some black folks doing the same thing.

Methinks you are mistaking "Racism" for "ethno-centrism"

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
But people who aren't as mixed like you tend to love their culture
I undersand that you won't be able to empathize.

I don't want to jump in another race thread, but blacks have NO more culture than whites. Get over yourself, the "culture" you love here in the states was created here in the states, so maybe a little appreciation is in order? After all, it is white people that have made your idols rich through the years, and the reason you all want to drive benzes with dubs. I see a "culture" of greed and degradation to be honest.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

As a canadian, I watch this and i kind of think people are honestly afraid that this somehow will be turned into some law or other cause of how it's being pushed in the media.
The difference is, jews aren't going around blaming everything on white people, and neither are the chinese.
The smallest minority in canada is rich white people...just ask Russell Peters the comedian, if you want some laughs about it. He's like areally nice dave chappelle.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by heyo]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

I don't want to jump in another race thread, but blacks have NO more culture than whites. Get over yourself, the "culture" you love here in the states was created here in the states, so maybe a little appreciation is in order?

I don't think you have any experience in the matter.

For example, Black hair is COMPLETELY different from white hair. Black churches are COMPLETELY different from white churches...

If you think there is no black or white culture, then you obviously have not spent enough time living in both of these environments.

Now I will be the first to say that there really isn't a "white" culture as much as there is Irish, English, Norwegian, Spanish, Italian, etc cultures. But each of these are not simply nationalities, they are also indicative of genetic identifiers and cultural identifiers.

You seem to be advocating homogeneity and cultural universalism which is a false Roman ideal.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Most of my life, I've wondered why there were not more black owned businesses. I've lived in big cities with sizable African American communities but almost non of the businesses are owned by African Americans.

Even in the areas that have a high concentration of African Americans, almost none of the business are owned by African Americans.

Why is that?

That's a good question, I don't know of any in our area,

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

BET??????

you have no idea what you are talking about

BET is anti-black and majority of blacks believe it so as well

and the N word Does belong to them

you are just incapable of empathy

I'm sorry, you appear to have jumped the shark.

You think that black people "own the N word" - could you show me a receipt for that?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I don't want to jump in another race thread, but blacks have NO more culture than whites. Get over yourself, the "culture" you love here in the states was created here in the states, so maybe a little appreciation is in order? After all, it is white people that have made your idols rich through the years, and the reason you all want to drive benzes with dubs. I see a "culture" of greed and degradation to be honest.

Well I hope people don't find this offensive,
in our neighborhood a lot of white people seem no different then black people.

oh never mind.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

I don't want to jump in another race thread, but blacks have NO more culture than whites. Get over yourself, the "culture" you love here in the states was created here in the states, so maybe a little appreciation is in order?

For example, Black hair is COMPLETELY different from white hair. Black churches are COMPLETELY different from white churches...

If you think there is no black or white culture, then you obviously have not spent enough time living in both of these environments.

Now I will be the first to say that there really isn't a "white" culture as much as there is Irish, English, Norwegian, Spanish, Italian, etc cultures. But each of these are not simply nationalities, they are also indicative of gene pools.

You seem to be advocating homogeneity and cultural universalism which is a false Roman ideal.

Actually you are generalizing. There is a variety of textures of hair for the black or African American ethnicity. There is straight, afro, and everything in between.

As to churches, you are generalizing again. When was the last time you attended every "black" church in the US much less every "white" church in the US. There are calm churches and there are speaking in tongue churches for every ethnicity. You are generalizing. That is just as bad as racism. That would be like making the assumption that all redheads are aggressive alcoholic leeches - if you watched tons of movies showing redheaded Irish or Scottish etc. that were generalizing that ethnicity.

I am all for loving the familial culture you come from, however, you are first and foremost an American of the United States of America. You are a citizen in the supposedly most amazing country in the world.

Yet it is all boiled down to what the skin color is as to what is so great about the US or so crappy.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

ha ha! you almost made me pee! Glad to see there are at least a few of us like-minded on this one. Honestly, the whole topic of "empowering" an individual race is really starting to make me ill. When will people start to realize how stupid they sound? Oh and btw, give it a few more years....white will no longer be the majority. When that officially happens, will we be spared this rhetoric? I will keep my fingers crossed.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

How so? I live in a big city, and I have friends who's skin reflect different variations of light. I see people who come here from many different nations, THEY have culture, and they bring it with them.

Ah, so all white people have the same kind of hair? I have to disagree, I have a lily white buddy who can grow an afro the harlem globe trotters would envy. As for church, black churches are a part of the US, they did NOT come from Africa. Like you said, there are white churches too, why don't you jump on that poster that said whites have no culture? Because you're too afraid to look racist.

Now I will be the first to say that there really isn't a "white" culture as much as there is Irish, English, Norwegian, Spanish, Italian, etc cultures. But each of these are not simply nationalities, they are also indicative of genetic identifiers and cultural identifiers.

Yeah, okay. I don't know ANY white people in this country, that embrace those cultures. This country is a MELTING POT, and the culture of blacks and whites is tangled very tightly here, no matter how hard blacks try to segregate.

Advocating? It's what the USA is.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975
reply to post by aravoth

ha ha! you almost made me pee! Glad to see there are at least a few of us like-minded on this one. Honestly, the whole topic of "empowering" an individual race is really starting to make me ill. When will people start to realize how stupid they sound? Oh and btw, give it a few more years....white will no longer be the majority. When that officially happens, will we be spared this rhetoric? I will keep my fingers crossed.

But when it happens, you can bet there won't be a white appreciation day to reflect our "heritage" or cultural background.

If a particular ethnicity wishes to be segregated then fine. Move to another country. THIS country was built on the idealism that it is ok to be different and allow that difference.

I don't have a particular problem with this couple being all "power to the black man" overall. I find it personally objectionable but probably no more than they would if I was to attend a KKK meeting in my sexy white sheet

However, the objections I have is to the article by a major newsource thinking this is such a great idea. They are pushing segregation that the US has fought so hard to desegregate.

Sometimes I think it would be easier if there were black towns, hispanic towns, white towns, etc. However, that is not what America is about. It is about diversity and the right to the PURSUIT of Happiness. Not the right to happiness but the PURSUIT of happiness. No one ever claimed life is great (unless they were really really rich or feeling blessed for whatever reason).

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mhinsey

I'm not generalizing.

Ask any African American about their hair.

Go to any Black Church and see if I'm generalizing.

We are not equal, we are all diverse and different. Your Roman brand of Universalism is a failed ideal.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Well I hope people don't find this offensive,
in our neighborhood a lot of white people seem no different then black people.

Exactly. That's my point, they have no more "culture" than we do, we're all Americans.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Are we?

So why do southerners live differently than northerners?

What about San Francisco?

There are micro cultures everywhere.

You appear to be arguing that culture doesnt exist.

I have friends who traveled all over America and finally settled in Portland because of the CULTURE there was so much different than anywhere else and suited them better.

Once again, the Roman ideal of cultural universalism is a failed ideal.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join