It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Just look at this thread. All this arguing and bickering. All over the differences in the color of our skin. Why focus on our differences when it will only succeed in dividing us. The stupidity of the HUMAN RACE knows no end!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 2 cents

What we are arguing about is one's right to celebrate these differences.

I for one believe that we should. The Roman conquerors however feel different.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
You appear to be arguing that culture doesnt exist.

No, I'm not. I was actually arguing that we do, but they are not as seperate as you are painting them to be. The poster I was responding to said we, white people, have NO culture, and that's why we can't empathize.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

wow, first we can't dance.......now we have no culture! Not a good day to be caucasian

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Oh, so we are on here "celebrating" our differences not arguing about them.

Right,

carry on - enjoy!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Typical ignorant liberal garbage "blacks are different than us DURR! They have different hair than us! DURR!"

Really?

Black afro hair style
black afro

White afro hairstyle
Whtie afro

On a side note, my father in law had hair so curly during the 70's that he could pull off an afro just as "black" as the blacks at the time too.

black corn rows
black cornrow

white corn rows
whtie cornrows

By the by, I do know and have known black women that have straight hair as well, so I'm sorry, your logic completely flawed as hair texture has NOTHING to do with skin color, so much as it has to do with genetics. Oh, by the by, genes don't differentiate between black and white the way you do.

With the amount of prejudice you show on your post alone, And you liberals say we conservatives are the once with racial issues? please get over yourselves!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

I think we have more tradition than culture per say. IMHO, America embraces all cultures but in and of itself is more based on our own original traditions than an individual American Culture. Our culture has been in absorbing and embracing that of our occupants. I hope this makes sense. I'm not feeling especially eloquent today....lol

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
technical difficulties

[edit on 13-5-2009 by heyo]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2 cents
Just look at this thread. All this arguing and bickering. All over the differences in the color of our skin. Why focus on our differences when it will only succeed in dividing us. The stupidity of the HUMAN RACE knows no end!

The whole point of this thread is that a LOT of people WANT to be divided, in this case, black people.

If you think it's all about skin color, you haven't visited downtown Memphis at midnight on a Saturday.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

I suppose you think culture is genetic?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

reply to post by mhinsey

I'm not generalizing.

Ask any African American about their hair.

Go to any Black Church and see if I'm generalizing.

We are not equal, we are all diverse and different. Your Roman brand of Universalism is a failed ideal.

You just generalized on both of your statements. Not all blacks have afros. Not all whites have straight hair. Not all black churches are whatever and neither are the white churches. You are making assumptions again on those two points. However, we are digressing.

There are and always will be "micro" cultures within the US. MY POINT is that when 9/11 first happened it became American FIRST for probably the first time in my life for everyone I came in contact with. I saw blacks hugging whites crying over the loss of so many that they did not KNOW and didn't care about their color. It was no longer black this white that. It was about being an American. Now people are attempting to force segregration on the populace and there should be a firm NO. Quit worrying about COLOR or ETHNICITY and focus on the importance of what makes us the same.

We all love our Moms (exceptions of serial killer mom and so forth), American way of life is diverse and should be rejoiced as such.

I do NOT welcome any Roman brand of idealism because it would fail. They attempted to force a sameness on everyone. It is ok to have respect and love of the culture you were raised in and even live it. My problem is when you respect that culture over being an American and choose to try to push that it is better than other cultures. No culture is better than another. You are an American before American Indian, before African American, before AgloAmerican... whatever American it is... you are an AMERICAN first and foremost.

Revel in your familial culture but know you are American and that should be the first culture. Recognize diversity but do not segregate it as better or worse.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
The poster I was responding to said we, white people, have NO culture, and that's why we can't empathize.

Incorrect!
You didn't not understand what I was conveying
the person you are now responding to however... he is saying almost the same thing I did.

Perhaps you understand how he said it better than I did.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

You appear to be arguing that culture doesnt exist.

No, I'm not. I was actually arguing that we do, but they are not as seperate as you are painting them to be. The poster I was responding to said we, white people, have NO culture, and that's why we can't empathize.

Ok then I have to completely apologize... I was saying that there are different cultures and thought you were arguing that there weren't any real differences.

When I heard that I thought about how my wife *NEEDS* to have a hair salon which specializes in African hair and was like "You have obviously never lived with a black woman" :-)

Sorry if there was any miscommunication.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2 cents
reply to post by Retseh

I suppose you think culture is genetic?

I believe that two forces act on culture.

The dominant culture in existence and one's genetic predisposition to certain traits.

For example, have you noticed that in Celtic culture women held as much power as men... now if you meet any Irish red headed women, you'd know why this is in fact part of that culture. :-)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

lol
there still is a miscommunication
he didn't understand what I meant and still doesn't

I never said white people have no culture

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well, this statement must have thrown me off...

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
If I can assume that you are white caucasian you don't know what your culture is, is it neo-american or european.
You don't know, that's why you don't care about culture.

I have to say, of ALL the black people I know and am friends with, more than I can count so by Chris Rock's definition I am definitely NOT racist, I haven't seen ONE of them display even a little "African" culture, in fact they have been assimilated to the same euro "traditions" we have (thanks jackieps1975, i agree with what you said). They have NO connection to the tribal cultures of Africa.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Hey i like how you said that. It seems that democracy is going against the very idea you're conveying here, in not acknowledging the majority's need to have it's culture expressed.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I suspected that the " US uber alles" crowd and the racist mob could find some common ground but this thread takes the cake.
Sad to see that any community spirit amongst minority groups is immediately attacked as overt racism against 'the poor whites' who as we so well know needs to be protected from any kind of fair competition that other groups might present.

This thread is a embarrassment to all ATS members and i would post more if the mere association with overt racist were not so odious.

Sad, sad stuff.

Stellar

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Ok then I have to completely apologize... I was saying that there are different cultures and thought you were arguing that there weren't any real differences.

There are differences, mainly in appearance though. The problem with that is, that's the first thing ANYBODY goes after when they are mad at somebody who cuts them off in traffic, their physical differences. We are all racist in a way, because I'm sure we ALL do that, whether we admit it or not. The difference is if you conciously exclude or include somebody from something solely on their skin color or race, or if you HATE people who look different and feel your race is superior. Those are the forms of racism that are destructive and divisive, and this couple is doing exactly that, regardless what spin is put on it. Where they spend their money is really not my business, but when they come out and pat themselves on the back for being racist, it makes me mad.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by 27jd]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
I suspected that the " US uber alles" crowd and the racist mob could find some common ground but this thread takes the cake.
Sad to see that any community spirit amongst minority groups is immediately attacked as overt racism against 'the poor whites' who as we so well know needs to be protected from any kind of fair competition that other groups might present.

This thread is a embarrassment to all ATS members and i would post more if the mere association with overt racist were not so odious.

Sad, sad stuff.

Stellar

It amazes me that when this couple is singling out a singley minority race - in this case black - they are helping the community.

H..E..L..L..O!! I am pretty sure they are in suburbia driving an SUV and the nearest minimart is owned by an Indian. It is liek that here in my town. A majority of the corner stores/minimarts are owned by Indian (not American Indian). If this black couple were all about supporting their COMMUNITY they would hit that corner store owned by anyone because THAT would be purchasing in the local community. Not driving 14 MILES out of the way to purchase groceries.

This is not a community event. It is a black empowering event. No culture is more important than another. They are promoting segregation even if subtlely and possibly unknowingly.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join