It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 236
<< 233  234  235    237  238  239 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by xoxo stacie
I just noticed why they are so focused on that geyser in the backround on the live cam.... it isnt snow covered like the rest of them. The whole mound which judging by the size in the pic is rather large is bare of snow. Its not going off like mad either....

It was going off, earlier.

On the snow melt front, I don't think it's necessarily a big deal. I saw lots of bare snow this weekend, then more snow would fall, then geysers would go off again and the snow would melt. It makes sense that if it's snowing on and off there will often be fresh snow to melt when the geysers go off, and it will look like new snow melt if you haven't been watching the cam for a long time. You'd really need to monitor snow levels for weeks at a time (at least) to be able to tell much from the web cam. (Y'know, unless there's suddenly a big flash and the camera appears to melt.
)

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ptolomeo

there's some data available that can at least draw some kind of a pattern, we need to keep monitoring these quakes around the world and their frequencies. i think indonesia is having some more quakes now
hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by quakewatcher

Originally posted by xoxo stacie
I just noticed why they are so focused on that geyser in the backround on the live cam.... it isnt snow covered like the rest of them. The whole mound which judging by the size in the pic is rather large is bare of snow. Its not going off like mad either....

It was going off, earlier.

On the snow melt front, I don't think it's necessarily a big deal. I saw lots of bare snow this weekend, then more snow would fall, then geysers would go off again and the snow would melt. It makes sense that if it's snowing on and off there will often be fresh snow to melt when the geysers go off, and it will look like new snow melt if you haven't been watching the cam for a long time. You'd really need to monitor snow levels for weeks at a time (at least) to be able to tell much from the web cam. (Y'know, unless there's suddenly a big flash and the camera appears to melt.
)

Psst I have been watching the cam for a long time now

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by quakewatcher

Originally posted by RFBurns

Originally posted by littleflower
Why would it need to deflect at all? It is information - it can be sent to several places simulataneously. I am not understanding this.

If the sensors detect something byond a certian threshold level, sort of like an overflow warning light on a water tank that shuts off the water flow, the system they use puts that data into a priority mode, and feeds that data only to their systems for immediate analysis. This is to simply prevent the sensors from being overloaded sending data out to the public access systems, and prevents any possible loss of that data that needs to go to the geologists systems. Its just a measure put into the system to prevent any critical data loss from the sensors. A very valuable measure I should point out.

Like any server on the web, or bandwidth monitoring system, the systems used to collect the data can detect how much data is being pulled off the sensors. If it reaches a certian point during a critical time that they need a clear path to get this data, the system will turn off the data feed to the secondary system..ie the public access systems and readers, and send that data directly to the critical systems for analysis.

With all the recent activity and the monitoring going on by the public, its understandable that particularly now, they would have that bandwidth monitoring system making sure that the data goes where it needs to go first, then pass it on to the other systems.

This still makes no sense at all to me. After all, the interwebs are not a series of tubes... There is no reason why you can't have this information on multiple servers, and public access should not effect private systems in any way. This decentralization is the beauty of the internet.

If you look at the Old Faithful helicorder this morning, there's clearly some clipping going on.

www.seis.utah.edu...

It's not making any sense to me either - it seems to me there could be multiple servers that it goes to simultaneously. The private server would not be accessed by the public and so would not be compromised.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I have a question...
Are we now advocating the feeema and homeland folks or are we still trying to determine the variables in the inconsistency of information we are receiving?

Seems we are deviating and assimilating to the process. I may have missed a page, however.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Not to stoke your obsessive tendencies any more, but something I've done is keep a tab open on the browser with an "earthquake" query at Twitter search. It's interesting to see people reporting feeling an earthquake then watch how long it takes public reporting systems to get around to registering them.

I've been quite obsessed with earthquake maps since they first came online in the late 90s and I've never really seen it take that long. On a related note, the last few times I saw the California map lit up with that many little swarms they were followed by a pretty substantial 5+ quake.

Over the weekend there was a quake in Afghanistan (that was felt by many people in Islamabad who reported it via Twitter) and it took 16 minutes for the USGS to add it to their list.

Of course, Yellowstone area quakes aren't typically self reported because nobody's standing there playing with their iphone when they're taking pics of the bison, but you still get the automatic notices when they come through. (And then you'll get 8 or 9 in a row, from various Twitter bots people have set up.)

Just the observations of an web-aholic.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I find it at once disturbing and funny that FOX News was doing constant tongue-in-cheek teasers geared towards conservatives who want to laugh at what the nuts are thinking now -- only to pull the story. Really want to know how directed or requested that.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenandFive

You missed the Fox News bashing a few pages back.

And more theorizing about our mysterious friend "Top Secret Geyser".

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphelion

Speaking of which, if the trend continues, we should see "Top Secret Geyser" in five to ten minutes.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Ok , you are on!
Lets see what happens now in 7-8 min

From your posted time!

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Mushussu]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pantangele

It started at 10:59, just 36 minutes after the last one!
It's getting very interesting.

[edit on 2009/1/6 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantangele
reply to post by Aphelion

Speaking of which, if the trend continues, we should see "Top Secret Geyser" in five to ten minutes.

Actually, seems to have been happening as you spoke . .
And lasting longer - not ended yet on the portion of the reading I can see . . over 5 minutes at 11:05am

[edit on 6-1-2009 by littleflower]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Mushussu

There it is. Only about 32 minutes this time... Let's see how long it goes.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantangele

There it is. Only about 32 minutes this time... Let's see how long it goes.

Wonder how long we will have to wait to find out . . . .

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed the increase in activity at Mammoth Hot Spring?

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aphelion
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

It's a conspiracy man. Just like the Detroit Lions. We all know they're paid to suck on purpose.

OMG that is sooo funny!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by littleflower

Survey says.....?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

29 minutes

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

it would be messed up if the geyser was countdown to the eruption that happens every 600,000 yrs or so lol

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Getting REALLY interesting.

IF that's a geyser (makes sense to me,) then the ground is heating up under the lake at a pretty constant rate.

WHY?

new topics

top topics

<< 233  234  235    237  238  239 >>

join