It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 238
<< 235  236  237    239  240  241 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesPeak

It's normal the cam is high up a tree and zoomed in..
But it's snowing right now.
The ground is heating up to melting snow all around.
I saw the timings the only thing it could be is rising magma if i have a simple thought.

edit typo

[edit on 6-1-2009 by coolvibe]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pantangele

You know what happens when a pressure cooker goes dry don't you.

I agree with your story line.

***Shirakawa , your graph is kind of alarming me at the moment.
Looking forward to your next input.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Could anyone give me a brief outline of what's happening at Yellowstone? Is an eruption likely? And what is this secret geyser thing? Haven;t got time to read through everything and what I have read is confusing me! Thanks

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Skepticism is healthy, antagonism is self-defeating.

Amen!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is the first time my gut tells me that something is going to explode at some point. I just can't see what stops this momentum if the heat source is heating the ground under that lake.

Don't know when... Days, weeks, but something's going to go. I'm hoping it's a hydrothermic explosion that relieves the pressure from an isolated magma pocket.

Again, I'm not a geologist or vulcanologist... But I have pretty good instincts and can recognize trends. If something doesn't change, something's got to give IMO.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DantesPeak
I'm watching the live feed and seeing a fair bit of tremor in the camera. Are there EQs happening at YS right now?

looks to me like a storm, notice all the wind and the snow falling?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mushussu
reply to post by pantangele

You know what happens when a pressure cooker goes dry don't you.

I agree with your story line.

***Shirakawa , your graph is kind of alarming me at the moment.
Looking forward to your next input.

No worries!!!!

It's really someone Ice fishing with a rattle bait. He's just getting worked
up in a frinzy since there really is no fish left.....

link   

Originally posted by quakewatcher

Originally posted by DantesPeak
I'm watching the live feed and seeing a fair bit of tremor in the camera. Are there EQs happening at YS right now?

looks to me like a storm, notice all the wind and the snow falling?

storm - yes

www.wunderground.com...

link   

Nobody knows what are the chances that FEMA etc are now in charge and they have pulled all the live data, seen as USGS does not seem up-to-date and they have pulled out a 3+ that was in Montana earlier.
Why would this be out of the question? are FEMA always open about what happens.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantangele
This is the first time my gut tells me that something is going to explode at some point. I just can't see what stops this momentum if the heat source is heating the ground under that lake.

Don't know when... Days, weeks, but something's going to go. I'm hoping it's a hydrothermic explosion that relieves the pressure from an isolated magma pocket.

Again, I'm not a geologist or vulcanologist... But I have pretty good instincts and can recognize trends. If something doesn't change, something's got to give IMO.

Change??
They will read this and
The signal will just stop again...

[edit on 6-1-2009 by j2000]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nick_crawley

For those new to the "geyser" discussion... Those responsible for the discoveries feel free to take credit...

Look at these three Seismographs from the LKWY station, starting 1/4 and ending today.

www.seis.utah.edu...

www.seis.utah.edu...

www.seis.utah.edu...

On 1/4, a pattern emerged that is not on the Seismographs in the archives. Notice the event in the first 1/3 of the 03:00 line on 1/4.

Notice how it repeats at regular intervals. A good example is under the 11:00 line.

Now look at 1/5. The pattern gets more defined and regular. Each event lasts about four minutes. You can see what I'm talking about... Thin, dark lines that extend at regular patterns.

That Seismograph is turned up to 500 microvolts. If it weren't those events would look very large on the Seismograph.

Yesterday evening, a few of us arrived at a theory... We believe a new geyser, actually a hydrothermal vent since its underwater, has opened under the lake. This explains the regular nature of the "eruption." It also corresponds to unusual water discharge from the lake.

The reason I think this has some urgency is because last night we made a graph... We noticed that events were getting bigger and stronger and predicted that IF THE MAGMA WERE RISING OR HEATING UP UNDER THE LAKE that the period it would take for the vent to erupt would get shorter and the interval of the eruptions would trend larger. Look at 1/6. That's precisely what's happening, as predicted. The intervals are trending shorter. The eruptions are trending longer. MORE HEAT.

img511.imageshack.us...

If this is in fact a new hydrothermal vent as it appears, then that is

disturbing on two fronts:

1) As Doctor Lowenstern said, changes to hydrothermal features of the park are a key indicator of an event.

2) It's getting hotter down there! Think of the eruptions as contractions. They are getting closer together and stronger. Last one was only 38 minutes apart!!!

UPDATED:

Next eruption just occurred.

www.seis.utah.edu...

This one only 32 minutes from the last and went a full 5 minutes.

Is it indeed getting hotter?

WHY?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nick_crawley
Could anyone give me a brief outline of what's happening at Yellowstone? Is an eruption likely? And what is this secret geyser thing? Haven;t got time to read through everything and what I have read is confusing me! Thanks

Not enough data available for a confident prediction. Some signals suggest things are calming down. Other signals suggest data is being hidden or manipulated. IMHO an eruption is unlikely but a major hydrothermal explosion is 50/50 (again, just my layman's opinion). The "secret geyser thing" is a mysterious repeating signal that has been showing up for about three days on the LKWY seismograph. Many of us suspect that it is a new geyser below the surface of the lake.

link   
I've been checking this thread periodically lately and I really think that most of the posters really need to take a break or just exchange phone numbers with each other. Go outside. Enjoy some fresh air. Take a walk and clear your heads.

link   

Originally posted by SevenandFive
reply to post by RFBurns

You're telling us they have, in essence, " one" server?

*Edit: Because I hate being the resident cynic, I'll add this disclaimer.

No, they have more than one, thats the point.

Ok lets break this down.

Lets take 1 of the siesmic sensors, for instance the BHZ sensor located at the Yellowstone lake just north of it.

Now lets say the USGS public server system comprises of 20 servers.

And lets throw in 150,000 people pulling real time data from those servers.

Lets say each of the 20 servers can serve up to 100 people simultaniously with real time data flow.

Now remember, we are pulling real time data from just 1 sensor.

Those 20 pulbic servers will start to pull that data so heavily from that 1 sensor to feed the 150,000 people requesting real time data. That puts a tremendous strain off of that 1 poor sensor.

Suddnely that sensor detects a reading that goes byond a pre set level that the scientists have set in their system.

Would the scientists be guaranteed to get undisturbed data flow from that 1 sensor when 150,000 people are pulling data from it already?

That 1 sensor feeds two systems, theirs and the public systems. It makes perfect engineering sense to put in a preventative measure to keep that data guaranteed from that 1 sensor to the critical systems than to appease an "ohh ahh" public yanking on the chain from that 1 sensor.

Its called "no single point failure" preventative procedure, and when you got all this geological activity going on one after another, it is darn good that such a system is in place so that the scientists get that data, uninterrupted by "ooh ahh" lag.

The problem is not on the WAN side, it is on the local side from that 1 single line from that 1 single sensor that two systems are pulling data from it. You might have yourself a nice t3 or greater, but calculate 150,000 people demanding real time data flow through 1 sensor via 1 line from that sensor feeding their systems plus the public "ooh ahh" servers.

Which one would you want to get that guaranteed data?

I vote the geologists and volcanologists. My curiosity can wait to make sure those guys get that data first to let me know if there is reason to up and run out of the way than to have that data not get to them and they miss something important that might be a clue or hint that something is on the way.

I dont see the reason why some are not picking up on the importance of those geologists and volcanologists getting this data to check it for potential signs of trouble comming. Our "ooh ahh" is not that important, but them having that guaranteed data flow from those individual sensors IS important.

Perhaps folks can donate some money to put in two side by side sensors so that one can be dedicated to the scientists, and the other can be dedicated to the "ohh ahh" and then there would be no reason to have any debate after that point..ya?

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Situation Update No. 6
On 05.01.2009 at 21:13 GMT+2

The recent earthquake swarm underneath Yellowstone National Park appears to be slowing down considerably. It's good news for the people at the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory who monitored close to 500 small earthquakes in the area during a six-day stretch. It had been the most intense swarm of earthquakes in Yellowstone since 1985. "Everybody was mobilized," said Jacob Lowenstern on Monday. Yellowstone National Park normally sees at least 1,000 earthquakes every year. "We saw half of a year's earthquakes in less than a week," Lowenstern added. The vast majority of the earthquakes were small and never felt by people within the park, but a few were strong enough to be felt by visitors and park staff. The strongest earthquake was a magnitude 3.9 on the Richter scale. Yellowstone National Park sits on top of a geologic "hot spot" and has historically been a very active area for earthquakes and the occasional volcanic eruption. The last massive eruption took place 640,000 years ago. Lowenstern said the Volcano Observatory staff does continually assess the risk for another volcanic eruption, but it's his belief this latest swarm was not indicative of anything more than just a series of relatively normal earthquakes. "We didn't see any other indicators that told us we needed to be overly concerned," he said.

source link

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by orgyofthedead

Nobody knows what are the chances that FEMA etc are now in charge and they have pulled all the live data, seen as USGS does not seem up-to-date and they have pulled out a 3+ that was in Montana earlier.
Why would this be out of the question? are FEMA always open about what happens.

I have had at least 5 EQ's pulled from my widget feed from Wyoming/Yellowstone - since December 12th.
If I didn't know better I would say there has been some
sort of drilling/mining going on there.
But I won't say that.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Did anybody see the 2 people that were putting up a big sign near OF?
It looked like a big round piece of medal on the top of the sign.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by MagicaRose]

link   
reply to post by orgyofthedead

I missed the story on Fox Radio Network this morning, but apparently there was a story on this, with a scientist to back up whatever was said. I'm thinking you may be correct about the FEMA/Homeland being involved now due to FOX now airing the story (the way they want it heard)

link   

Originally posted by nick_crawley

We here are trying to frigure it out.
Cliff Notes:

There would apear that due to recent activity under the northern part of the lake that there MAYBE some form of dome building or a new under water geyser forming hence the pet name we have given TOP SECRET GEYSER.
We are monitoring intervals of time and duration of events on graphs in and around the area.
We know only what we can observe.
Does this help any?

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Mushussu]

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Mushussu]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

yea near it

top topics

<< 235  236  237    239  240  241 >>

join