It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Computer!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Ok, I'm really not sure if this thread belongs here or not, so please move if it doesn't. Anyways, I'm looking into buying this computer from ibuypower.com. But I really don't know too much about computers or all the hardware so I thought I'd ask everyone here!

Here are the specs:

Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )

Motherboard ( Asus P5KPL-CM Intel G31 Chipset w/6-channels, Gb LAN, S-ATA 3Gb/s, USB 2.0, Single PCI-E MB )

Memory ( 2 GB [1 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )

Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 512MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )

Hard Drive ( 250 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]

All I'm really going to be playing on it is WoW and maybe some AoC. How will this machine run these games? I'm more concerned about WoW since I play it a bit more. Thanks!

Jay

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
yes that will definately allow you to play the games.. on her display settings I reckon... have fun!

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Looks like a pretty nice computer. You should have no problem at all with WoW. I'm not too sure about AoC since I haven't done any research on it.

P.S. What realm do you play on?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear! My main is in Dentarg, Horde side and I have an alt on Haomarush, Ally side.

Jay

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Up the ram count to 4 gigs.

Upgrade the video-card to nvidia 8800gt

Make sure you have a quality 5-600 watt power supply.

Make sure you have enough fans/airflow.

What about a nice sound-card-x-fi music extreme?

What about the required 5.1 speakers.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I agree. Double the memory and get at minimum 1 Gb graphics card. From what I hear, AoC is a grpahically intense game. Otherwise, it looks like you have a good system, more than enough for WoW.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Not a bad setup, but I would ditch the gfx card and pay a bit more and get the ATI 4850. You'll then have an excellent gaming setup.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I would recommend you that you get more ram upgrade to 4 GB.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
If you're planning on using a 32-bit operating system, XP or Vista 32, bear in mind that you'll only see 3Gb max (less if you have a large amount of memory on your video card) of RAM if you do put 4Gb into it.

To be fair, this is not much of an issue really as with memory being so cheap nowadays you can afford to "lose" a Gb by putting a pair of 2Gb sticks in there anyway.

As for a 1Gb video card, be careful with one thing. There are a bunch of 1Gb 8600GT video cards knocking around which really suck due to the memory only being the slower DDR2 type. Memory bandwidth is one of the major factors in graphics performance. The amount of video memory is secondary to the actual GPU and memory speed, and in this case a 512Mb DDR3 8600GT (or even a 256Mb) one will whip the pants of a 1Gb DDR2 model and give it a severe spanking.

Kindred recommended the ATI 4850. Excellent choice, it shouldn't add much more to the total cost (UK Prices, an 8600GT can be had for around 50 pounds, a 4850 for 100) over the supplied 8600GT, and it has something like 4 to 5 times the performance.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Lozzo]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't go overkill as some of the posters suggested. What you have set out is good enough. You don't want to go spend an inordinate amount of money on something that is going to be obsolete in 3 months.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You should be able to play WoW with all of the settings turned up. For those who don't play WoW having all the settings turned up is actually important for spotting certain things.

My only concern is the hard drive space. With the new expansion you might need a little more space because your drive will be generally filed up with other stuff.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by happysquirts

Unless you currently own/use one, I am seeing a very important device missing with that much money on the line ........... UPS protection !! I have a rather inexpensive APC UPS, and considering the wiring in this old house, it has payed for itself 10 fold at least.

TigerDirect UPS 700VA

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

700VA is extreme for that system. APC is a good brand name i use myself and have instructed customers to use (without commision before anyone asks). A good UPS will actualy prolong your system.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
700VA is extreme for that system.

I'm no good with numbers, voltages, correlation, etc.
I USED to be good, but now I'm old and done forgot it all.
What was I saying? lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Man wow only takes up 10 gigabytes of space leaving him with over 200 gigabytes and change. I currently have a 250 gigabyte hard drive and have 200 free gigabytes. The most the new expansion will use will probably be another 10.

The only way a person is going to use up a 250 gig hard drive is if he or she stores a hell of a lot of movies on his or her computer.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

I suppose i'm thinking ahead sorry it's a habit after dealing with customer servers for many years

As fora backup power supply i suggest somethign along the lines of this.

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218922017&sr=8-3

It'll enable you to safely guard your system against brownouts, blackouts and generally shutdown your system safely, without loss of data if something goes wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Man wow only takes up 10 gigabytes of space leaving him with over 200 gigabytes and change. I currently have a 250 gigabyte hard drive and have 200 free gigabytes. The most the new expansion will use will probably be another 10.

The only way a person is going to use up a 250 gig hard drive is if he or she stores a hell of a lot of movies on his or her computer.

Heh. If only. My SATA drive silo (1x500Gb, 2x160Gb) is now around 50% full just with my installs and preferred software and game for XP, Vista, Linux and OS X.

All this and an old 250Gb IDE lobbed in there just for movies and music. That has around 10Gb left upon it, and this with a lot of my movies/TV eps burned off to backup DVDs. My other old 160Gb IDE has made its way into an old X-Box for use as a media centre.

And to think my first ever hard drive was on my old Amiga, a massive (at the time) 60Mb SCSI.

I've always been a hoarder, and that habit has now leaked over to my computer..

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Lozzo]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Lozzo

I just did a fresh install cause I had a nasty virus. Was pushing 40 gigs free when I had all my other stuff on it. lol So I know what ya mean.

new topics

top topics

join