It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Shuttle Challenger blew up WHEN???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Not sure what to make of this post.

You state that the disaster happened in 1986...true, it did explode in '86. Reagan was the President and gave the speech that has been posted in replys here.
Sally Ride was the first American woman in space. 1983

Christa McAuliffe never made it to space on that day in '86, hence she is not listed as a woman who's been in space.

Yet you think that it really happened in 1989??

I understand that trauma and tragedy cause the brain to "black out" certain memories of events to help you heal, mentally or physically.

But false memories and a time line distortion??

Come on now!!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I remember watching the challenger disaster live, in 1989 on tv. Then years later I noticed the same thing, 1986, and I thought wow someone must have screwed up the date.

Not kidding, I remember exactly where I was and everything.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This whole subject is funny and weird, because right before I joined this forum my mom out of the blue was talking about how unreal the whole Challenger incident was.

My mom is in no way shape or form a conspiracy theorist, but a few nights ago she just stated how see felt that the Challenger explosion seemed like a dream.

As for myself I can't remember what year it happened but I recall myself being in high school watching it on tv. But if it happened in 1986 I would've only been 10 years old! I don't know it does seem weird that a lot of people's memory of the Challenger is hazy and unclear. Ask me about September 11th and I can tell you where I was and what I was doing perfectly.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
You know they blew it up right?

I was watching on TV live, they showed a camera angle the first time and I never saw that angle again, you could see the shuttle had leveled off, You could see the black outline of the tail and the three engines burning as it zigzagged throught the sky apparently trying to establish stability, the last you saw it had turned nose toward the camera, and then they cut the feed. Never saw that angle again.

Back in the days of Apollo they use to tell you that they have observers down beach, with their hand on a trigger waiting to blowup the launch if something should go wrong rather than have thousands of observers on the beach die if the rocket doubled back. You don't get very long to make the decision with something moving at those speeds.

It had seperated and leveled off, It had survived the initial explosion.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I also have this strange...dis-connect, with the "when" of the Challenger disaster. I remember quite clearly being about 9 when it happened, in like 4th or 5th grade and our teacher came in crying and told us it had exploded, only problem is this, my father died in 1987, and I was 13 when he died. You do the math. Also, for the 2 years prior to my father's death, I was in a completely different school than the one I was at when Challenger exploded. Glad I'm not the only one with this.....weirdness.

Also, we were at recess when it exploded. I remember the day just as clearly as could be, it happened when I was at Cottonport Elementary School. Only problem is, in 85 and 86, I was in Hessmer Middle. This has bugged me off and on for years.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Zenagain]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Someone has to ask, does anyone think, with all the what seem to be memory changes, and its not just the challenger disaster, does anyone think someone might be playing with building time machines? or a machine? trying to get it right but in the process small elements of our past are being changed?

You know it could have something to do with the new hadron collector? they are running small experiments during the cool down process, even a rumor weeks ago about a mistake already made which had them running scared for a while?

Even the scientists are unsure exactly what will happen when they start using that thing, maybe a side effect is a overlap of another reality.

too much is happening regarding people knowing for certain, that events in their lives have changed, some of those events surely would involve major events in history, like knowing for sure a celeb is dead, but they are alive, its happening to a lot of people, no more than a lot a lot more.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
A few years ago, I was staying with my grandmother, and she was visiting a friend of hers who used to live by where the Challenger was launched, and saw it blow. We'd talked it over a bit and it was definelty 1986.
A part of me wonders how many of these times shifts might have to do wtih that thread a bit ago "Select your Universe" or something.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I remember watching the challenger disaster live, in 1989 on tv. Then years later I noticed the same thing, 1986, and I thought wow someone must have screwed up the date.

This thread honestly gave me goosebumps. Especially this post and dunwich's post.

Same damn thing for me. I remember being in the library of my JR High when it happened and they wheeled out the TV's and we all watched while the teachers cried. The problem is, that in 1986, I was not in JR High, I was in grade school.

I was in Jr High in 1989.

Weird stuff.....

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I remember it being in 1989, well I was a year old but I remember growing up my aunt says she remembered it happening in 1989. I also remember that after Columbia it was also mentioned to be jan 1989. I remember that I always got it down because it was a year and 4 days after i was born.
I actually asked my aunt again about that a couple of months ago, I don't know why. She said it was in 1983 while my mom said 1986 and i said 1989. What's the deal???

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

I always thought that changing something in the time line would change it for everyone. Why would some people have certain recollections of things happening while others wouldn't? I find that really odd. Don't get me wrong, I'm just confused that I remember things differently than other people do. I just find it really weird.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I am wondering if people may be remembering when video of the event was shown years later to acknowledge the anniversary of the event. That could account for it being remembered as watching it on tv in school, but would account for it being three years after the actual event.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Yeah, this is really getting wierd. Here's a post I made on July 11th on another thread..

My addition to this thread would be an experience from my childhood I just can't reconcile. I grew up on the east coast of south Florida and if the space shuttle had a launch while school was in session, we were all allowed to go outside and watch. My memory regards the Challenger disaster and it is distinct and vivid. As you know, a teacher was on the mission so ALL of the schools either went outside or had televisions in the classrooms to watch. I remember the school I went to, the teacher who took us outside, his name, his class and his reaction when Challenger exploded. I remember going back to his room and we all just sat there not saying a word.

Here's the wierd part. I did not attend that particular school the recorded year Challenger exploded....1986. I went there the year AFTER.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I was stationed in Bermuda and we heard it in the hanger on the radio. Later that evening, I taped it off the news. Still have that tape somewhere. I arrived in Bermuda in September of 85 so I know it was January 1986.

Years later, while attending Spartan in 2000, I found out that one of my instructors used to work for NASA and was involved with Challenger. He still can't discuss it without getting extremely emotional.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I know what some of you guys are feeling. When I read the post and saw it was 1986, I said to myself, "In 86...that means I was only 2 years old!" Its funny because because when I saw a group shot and video of the astronauts when it first happened, I swear I thought, man that first women in space has got a crazy old school perm going on but funny thing is I don't remember anything when I was 2 years old and I swear it either had to be late 80-s early 90's when it happened. It boggles my mind!

[edit on 16-7-2008 by raoulduke666]

[edit on 16-7-2008 by raoulduke666]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
the problem is with wikipedia, anyone can "update" it.
i dont trust wikipedia as a valid resource anymore.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I know for a fact it was 1986...I was based in England and on my way home from another thrilling day at work when they broke the news on this pirate radio station from out in the North Sea...(To understand that part, you'd have to have lived in England) The station said "The Space Shuttle Challenger Exploded After Liftoff..."...at first I thought he said "Exploded off of the launch pad..."But sadly...I was wrong...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

Do you remember Regan was present at the launch because this ws the first time a civilian (school teacher) was on board? He was still the President, so you know 89 is wrong. There were also hundreds of school children present at the launch.

I believe the pressure of postponing launches due to the cold weather (that caused the O rings to fail), prompted the green light to end the postponements and go ahead with the dangerous launch anyway because of all who were present.

It amplifies the horror of that day.

Equally horrible is the crew wasn't killed in the explosion, so they may have been conscious as they tumbled back to crash into the ground.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Now I am not making this up just to jump on the band wagon but i thought this 1983
I can remember sat watching a tv programme about it with a G/F who was born in 83 and saying damn I was at school when you were born

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
1986 here. I'm in the "real reality" :-)

I do remember coming home to my townhouse and my roommate said it happened. I only lived in that townhouse from '85-86. I remember watching a few replays on the news on the TV in the corner of the family room. So, I'm with the '86 crowd.

I tend to remember things very clearly back to when I was about 4-5 years old (in the late 60s) - I'm just someone who remembers things. Helps in my job too (computer consulting) in remembering how things work, computer commands, etc.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
yep it happened on my birthday..why i was eating my cake.

i never forget it

and i remember them constantly showing footage
of the teacher that was on the shuttle classroom watching the space shuttle launch.
they was proud of her ect...

and there face's as it blew up.

i bet you got so into it......you mind got warped ..maybe thinking allot dang i bet them kid's watching this was tore up... is shock...
and after time it you memory added you in the classroom kind of.

but i aint a psychologist.

but ive done this a few time before.
i call it old timer's disease

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join