It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Shuttle Challenger blew up WHEN???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It was in 1986. I was a jr. in high school at the time. We were watching it in my french class. Still a vivid memory even today.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
For me, I seem to remember the date very well and it is indeed January 28th, 1986, I was in my sophomore year.
However, in talking with friends about it over the years, its come to my attention that most of us were at home when it happened, but it was a school day. Christmas break was over on the 5th, and that was a tuesday.
I should have been in school, but I remember being home, and so do most my friends.
For the record, me and my friends didnt go to the same schools. A few were in Portland Oregon, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas.
We all remember being home.

A few people on this thread have stated they were in school at the time, but I cant recall why I was home, nor can my friends.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

I definitely remember this happening in 1986. I was in 2nd grade and we watched it on the TV in the hallway as well.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

The first thing we always tell students at the university is that they MUST NOT trust or USE any information from wikipedia. There are so many idiotic things there, people shouldn't quote anything from wiki.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Have there been 2 seperate shuttle disasters?

I distinctly remember it being in 1983, when i saw the thread title i thought i would remember the date before clicking it, and i do remember it was 1983.

It couldn't possibly be 1986 because in 1986 i was in 'the naughty boys' home (a correction facility) and there were no TV's there!!

And i remember actually watching it in class live on TV, i remember the school teacher Mr Dobson wheeling out the TV for us to watch it, i remember kids on the way to school that morning saying that today was going to be the end of the world because of some bogus Nostradamus prophecy, the next day we were talking about how it may of been the shuttle disaster he phrophecised.

Maybe i did too much acid in the nineties and its skewed my memory a little

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
ok.. hope this isn't off topic, but, I thought it might be somewhat revelant with the whole 'time' issues going on at ATS. As for the Shuttle blowing up, I'm 99% positive it was '86.

I walk in our bedroom, which had only the bathroom light on, got to our bed, checked my alarm clock which should have been way off time because my wife had unplugged it later that evening. However, when I looked at it, it read 11:38pm......"hmm?" I thought to myself. I check the time on my alarm clock with my wifes on her side which read...11:38p. I rechecked my clock AGAIN to make sure.... yep.. 11:38p.

"she must have reset my clock, cool' I said to myself. After getting into bed I turn over to set my alarm and my clock reads...4:18am? !!!! WT..?? !!!!

how is that even possible??

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I was born the date this event occurred. January, 28, 1986.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well fellas I just called my dad to see when he remembers it happeneing, his first response was "I don't remember" then I said it was some time in the 80's and if you had to pick a date what would you pick, he says "1986" good guess

I mean i'm 26 now so I was way too young to remember that since i was born in 82.

Anyway did anyone notice how bright the moon was last night? Never saw it that bright before...

[edit on 16-7-2008 by porschedrifter]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
I'm not suggesting that it DIDN'T happen in 1986. I'm only commenting on how odd it is that I could have such vivid memories of it happening 3 years earlier when I was still in high school. Each time the subject has ever come up I always flash back to that memory of standing in the hallway with a bunch of other students and watching that TV in horror.

It's just so strange to realize that such a vivid memory could be completely wrong. It makes my head spin just thinking about it....

That's very strange! Now when this happened, I was still in the womb, since I was born in October of that year, so i can't say I witnessed it. Now Wiki did say that it flew in 1983, so could it be that you remember seeing it lanuch in 1984, but then your memories just got jumbled?

I have had times when I know one thing happened, and when I talk about it later, people say 'umm no, what are you on.' Or that I swear something happened, but then it happens days/months/years later, kinda like preemptive Deja vu....thats the only way I can really relate.

Now do you remember it happening in '86 as well, or just that first time?

[EDIT] I made a oopsie on the year challenger started flying. My brain isn't working today... the suckers got to it lol

[edit on 16-7-2008 by unknownfrost]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I know this is a bit off topic. But could one of you watch some movies from the 1980's and tell us what you see as different?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is an interesting thread. The "timeline shifts" or whatever you want to call them are definitely happening. I used to write it off as BS, poor memory or something...until it happened to me.

Joey Bishop from the Rat Pack died last October, but I KNEW that he had actually died years before that...around 2003 or so (not totally sure about the year, but it was not too recent). I remember because they were saying, "The last surviving member of the Rat Pack has died..." And sure enough, they were saying the same thing when he died "again" last year. And no other member of the Rat Pack died recently (Frank Sinatra was the second most recent, back in 1998 and I know I'm not thinking of him), so it can't be that I'm thinking of someone else who died a few years back.

So that gave me pause and made me reconsider the timeline shift thing. It sure is a weird feeling. It certainly does seem like someone's messing with a time machine or something, although that's a little too simplified sci-fi to ring true. But something along those lines.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This is really weird. I remember it around 1983. Had to be I WATCHED IT IN CLASS.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

IThe thing is, I graduated from high school in 1983 so this could not be possible.

Let me ask you a question.

Have you had any near death experiences?? Been in any accidents that you managed to come out of in one piece??

If you have then let me know, I think I know what is happening.

Thanks,

NeoN HaZe

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well I'm pretty sure it was 1986, back home I even have newspapers and magazines talking about it. They all came from 86.

So... I guess... that's that... to be more precise : January 28th, 1986 at 11:39am EDT.

PRESS THE IMAGE TO SEE THE ENTIRE PHOTO!
and

and finally my coin

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Element-115]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze

IThe thing is, I graduated from high school in 1983 so this could not be possible.

Let me ask you a question.

Have you had any near death experiences?? Been in any accidents that you managed to come out of in one piece??

If you have then let me know, I think I know what is happening.

Thanks,

NeoN HaZe

Well I'm interested now! Please tell.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Yes! I too have been confused by the 86 date. I clearly remember the day because I was in Jr. High (in 1986, I would have been in High School). Here’s how I remember the accident. I was in science class, and my teacher gave us busy work. She left the room. I went to my locker to get a notebook. Here’s the key info that makes my memory so real and, in a way, validates for me the year. My parents were teachers at the Jr. High. I had free rein! I could pretty much come and go as I pleased without anyone stopping me or getting in trouble for being in the hallway during class. I never had that freedom in High School. So, I was in the hallway going to my locker (located across from the library), and I noticed that they had wheeled out the TV cart and adults, including my teacher, were watching something. I noticed that my teacher was crying. Just seeing my teacher cry, made me feel unsafe. So, I stood near the library quietly and watched the TV long enough to figure out that the challenger had crashed. This, of course, had been a big deal for my teacher. I didn’t say anything and went back to class. I sat there, unable to do the busy work, and waited for her to come back. It took awhile and the students were getting restless. I felt sad/strange knowing what had happened and what was really going on. When she came back, she wrapped up class (she looked shaken) and said NOTHING! I couldn’t believe it! But as an adult, I think I understand her not wanting to upset a group of kids. Anyway, I swear that’s what happened! I always remembered it that way, and I don’t know why I wouldn’t remember the year as 86. In 1983, I would have been 13 going on 14 in October. The next year would have been High School, and I no longer had the freedom to come and go around the school like that. Also, my locker was no where near the library in 86. Totally different library, anyway. So, what did I see in 83? I’ve always been confused by this but figured it was my own memory failure. Thanks for listening. Pam

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kneebiter42
Well I'm interested now! Please tell.

This may sound very ethereal but there is math to back my theory up. I assure you.

The universe as you know it is one potential out of literally an infinite number of other potential realities.

The so called flow of time is not what most think and relate to. The concept of time as we have come to know it is an illusion.

Let me quantify...

If there are an infinite number of potential outcomes then each potential exist at the same point.

So there is for example a reality where the challenger accident occurred in 1983 and others where it occurred in 1986.

Movement from one potential to another is what we have become accustomed to think of as time.

But what happens when we die?? The potential for our existence reaches zero within this Reality but what about all the other potential realities??

What I am getting at is that when you cease to be in one reality you don't know it but your consciousness just goes on in a different reality...

We are eternal..

So...

Been in a car crash and came out of it without hardly a scratch?

Slipped while rock climbing but managed to hold on somehow??

Your consciousness moves into the nearest reality that has the potential for your existence at higher than zero...

So we remember the challenger accident as 1986... Jean Michelle-Jarre missed his Jazz peace......

But...

Somewhere between 1983 and now the OP actually shifted potential realities... They died..

Does any of that make any sense to anyone??

Power to the People!!

NeoN HaZe

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Neon Haze]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Jan ,28th_1986_ for shure ,cause that last week of jan. I started 2nd shift at Boeing,got up late that day and never turned the tv on ,got myself together and went into work ,but first stoped at Acme to get some lunch meat ,and every one was talking about what had happened ! could not belive it .

[edit on 16-7-2008 by vertol]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

This may sound very ethereal but there is math to back my theory up. I assure you.

What math? Where is it?

And don't you think it might just be that people in general mix up the dates? After all this whole conversation began on the basis that the info in Wikipedia is correct which it isn't. Wiki shouldn't be quoted.

I'm just asking...

I understand what you mean with the infinite possibilities, with infinite different versions in alternate universes. Still, I have to ask... what would make THIS case so different from a simple case of collective amnesia? It happens a lot... people reporting on TV something that's incorrect, yet another network picks it up and runs with it too. They both claim it's what they remember, but then pride and reputation sneaks up on them and even though they might remember later they can't or won't admit that they just remembered incorrectly. It happens all the time. With little things like "I BET IT WAS LUKE WILSON IN THAT MOVIE!" When in fact it wasn't at all. Would you argue then that Luke Wilson got that role in a different universe/reality and that's why they remembered it incorrectly?

If so, then there is no reality and no facts. The fact that I am writing this right now, might have been written by someone else in a different reality, with a different handle and avatar. Get what I am saying so far?

So... again... it all comes down to this... The simplest explanation would be that people had a collective incident where they simply forgot. That's all. It's not a tear in the space time continuum. It's just a collective amnesia which is strangely enough contagious. Just like how people can be manipulated into thinking ONE thing opposed to another when forced suggestions are introduced to them.

Sometimes keeping it simple makes the wagon go farther than, complicating things and stopping it every 2 minutes...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Neon Haze

Hell yeah, i'm in the '83 camp, and i had an horrific car crash in 1988, AND came out without a scratch much to the surprise of everyone, even the prosecutor in court who had actually seen the resulting wreck insitu said it was a miracle i survived, never mind get out and walk/run away.

After the experience i kept asking myself why? when reading up on quantum theory in the early 90's i too came to the conclusion of eternal life and alternate realities and figured i must only be able to perceive the reality in which i'm alive to perceive it in.

I never figured to correlate it with this thread though, you could be onto something.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join