It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Shuttle Challenger blew up WHEN???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I was reading about the ISS on wikipedia earlier and eventually ended up on the page which covers the space shuttle challenger disaster. The wiki page states that this happened in 1986.

I'll never forget watching news footage of the explosion on a TV that one of the teachers had rolled out into the hallway outside of his classroom. The thing is, I graduated from high school in 1983 so this could not be possible.

I certainly don't rule out the possibility of false memory syndrome, but the damn memories are just so real to me that it's hard to imagine that they could be false. I've been going over and over it in my head for the last few hours trying to come up with a reasonable explanation but in the end all I've managed is a headache.

I dunno, maybe I dreamed this after the fact and it somehow got filed away as an actual memory. All I know for sure is that if the Challenger blew up in 1986 then there is no way in hell that I was still in high school at the time. It's just so disorienting when your mind remembers one thing but the facts contradict it.

Anyhow, I'm sitting here, wondering if my head needs to be examined.
At the risk of sounding like I'm off my rocker, has anyone else noticed any discrepancies in their recollection of the Challenger disaster?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Maybe just memory plays games and

Sally Ride became the first American woman to fly in space.

got mixed up with first female teacher and following disaster?
www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Wow, lots of people are "losing time" around here.

You are another one of our "dimensional travellers."

But really, it seems there are a ton of new threads on this type of occurance. What's goin on?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
1986 sounds about right to me. I was born in 1980 and I remember it happening sometime around when I was in kindergarten or first grade.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I am almost positive it was 1986, I was watching the Price is Right in a dreary town in Texas and the national news broke in to show the launch and when it blew up on live tv, I set my arm down on a space heater and got a nasty burn and I know I moved to Texas in January of 1986 and it was my first few months there.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Sounds like all the threads lately talking about the time riffs which cause people to slip through dimensions where in one reality something may have occured such as the death of a famous person, only to discover years later the celeb. is still alive.

I dont know, I wouldnt trip too hard on it though.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
That is weird because I distinctly remember watching it in my 4th grade classroom.....however, in 1986 i was only 6 years old! i never skipped a grade or anything like that. hmmmmmm...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Wow, dude.... this is getting too common to just be some sort of coincidence of crazy people.

I remember Ozzy Osbourne died when I was in Rehab back in 2003 (only because I was arrested for weed 3 times in a row at school).

I thought he was dead until I got out of rehab.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
HEY WAIT!!!!

The Challenger blew up in 1989.

I'm getting the feeling of dread again.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
OK it definitely happened in 1986 and I was in school when it happened, My science teacher was in the running for that ride and she had to be comforted big time after that happened right in front of us on TV. We could not see the launch because of some tall pine trees or we would have been outside to see it.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I'm not suggesting that it DIDN'T happen in 1986. I'm only commenting on how odd it is that I could have such vivid memories of it happening 3 years earlier when I was still in high school. Each time the subject has ever come up I always flash back to that memory of standing in the hallway with a bunch of other students and watching that TV in horror.

It's just so strange to realize that such a vivid memory could be completely wrong. It makes my head spin just thinking about it....

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I keep getting the feeling that all directions are wrong with what i remember, i first noticed it really bad when i was watching Amistad the movie, all the scenes seemed to be wrong, like they were heading home towards a setting sun? that didnt make any sense to me and i thought i was mistaken, but then at the end they again are heading home towards a setting sun, i could have just been seeing things, but it keeps happening.

I looked through a AZ of our city a few days back, and all the districts where all mishapen from what i seemed to remember, and i would drive down a road heading home and i know ive driven these roads before, but i end up with a dead end, or in a totally different place to where i was expecting.

Also heading towards the memoriam garden where my mum is buried, i noticed an old perfectly preserved machine gun post from ww2, now i know they exist because there are a few scattered around the north west, but i have never seen this before, it wasnt there from what i remember, i think im going nuts, and having to navagate more careful. weird.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

"The crew of the space shuttle Challenger
honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives.
We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning,
as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye,
and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God.'"
President Ronald Reagan
January 28th, 1986

A Memorial

The link above is a tribute site to the crew of Challenger STS - 51L.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising

"The crew of the space shuttle Challenger
honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives.
We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning,
as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye,
and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God.'"
President Ronald Reagan
January 28th, 1986

A Memorial

The link above is a tribute site to the crew of Challenger STS - 51L.

Nobody is doubting that the records and the consensus reality says and was the challenger exploding in 1986. We don't need proof of things we know.

It's just that, now that he mentioned it... I remember it was in 1989...

I think something is going awry with the timeline and the consensus reality. This is basically the jest of this thread.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
January 1986...I was in 3rd grade...Mrs. Wright's class...we watched it live...all the kids were like, "What happened?"

I said it blew up & then got yelled at. With that, Mrs. Wright turned off the TV and said, "OK, time for some math."

The school even called my mother and said it was very rude of me to say that. I had told her all about it. Mom said all I did was answer the question of "What happened?" that the other kids were asking and that I didn't even know the severity of the event at my age. It was a horrible tragedy, don't get me wrong. But the way I said "It blew up" was so matter of fact and cold that I kinda laugh at my childhood ignorance.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It's called bad ergot rye fungus.

It usually causes distortions of reality.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

I got the jist. Wanted to provide definitive proof of the date. Also, the site is named Icarus Rising, so a little shameless self-promotion was thrown in free of charge.

Do you really think the timeline is in flux and taking our memories with it? Reminds me of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. The "thinnies" and all.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It was 1986, because that was the year my last child was born.

I'd been on a tractor all morning and had finally gotten around to moving some water feeds. I was leaning over into the ground turning one off when the sun was blotted from the sky. My poor wife had waddled up and she told me that the space shuttle had blown up during launch. I quickly finished what I was doing and we went back to the house and watched the news for the rest of the day.

There is no time lost from my perspective, I remember the event just fine.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The Challenger disaster happened on January 28, 1986. All three of my childeren were home with the chicken pox!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Yeah it was definitely 1986, I was six years old at the time. I remember talking about it with the kids during recess. I have lived in Florida my entire life, and everyone in the school went outside to watch the launch, and I with the rest of my kindergarten class saw it explode in the sky. I remember watching the news at home, with my future step-father, who didn't even start dating my mom till 1985, and we moved into a new home in 1987, so without any shadow of a doubt, at least in my mind, it was 1986.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join