It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Explosion Suspected at Epicenter of the Sichuan Earthquake

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Actually it's not too uncommon to see natural electrical discharge with regards to earthquakes if those pictures are accurate that quake was probably even worse than we have been lead to believe

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Reasons to discount the story:

1) The seismograph data of the quake does not match that of a nuclear detonation - ie. one strong line, indicating the detonation, and a declining shock wave. It does, however, match that of an earthquake.

2) No government agency in the region - from India to Japan, inclusive, has registered any kind of radiation spike that might be associated with such a detonation, as described in the news story - and you can bet your last yen that'd be on the news here.

3) No international monitoring group has given any indication that there was a nuclear detonation.

4) No mainstream media coverage. Given that the western media was so keen to show photos of Nepalese cops beating on Tibetan protesters in Katmandu - and label them as Chinese Army in Lasha, I can see absolutely no reason why they wouldn't be on this angle like white on rice. It's the perfect story angle for CNN - human tragedy + folly of the nasty reds = ratings, ratings, ratings.

5) The story is incredibly vague in detail. Quotes one anonymous expert source - although the field of their expertise is also held under supposed anonymity - detailing the possibility of a detonation at a location which is also unnamed.

6) One source who gives his name is not identified by location. Insists he saw the top of a mountain explode. Where?

7) The CNS story talks about a valley, again, "near the epicentre". The article later mentions the possibility of a nuclear facility at Mianyang City, Sichuan - some 250km from the epicentre, going from google earth. Mianyang appears to me to be a river valley/plain, with low hills in the outlying areas - based on the local photos on google earth, I'd say it'd be a stretch for anyone to call them mountains - going on the assumption that this is the facility in question.

8) Concrete debris covering a valley floor after an earthquake can come from many sources - the most common being the collapse of the retaining wall holding back the hillside. These tend to be made of poured/injected concrete, re-enforced and anchored into the hillside. Out here, it's common practice to shave the hill back, and cover the entire face, base to summit, with a concrete grid (1m x 1m) to prevent rockslides and so forth. That sounds far more plausible to me than a nuclear explosion somehow shooting a bunker out of the top of a hill. It would also leave you with debris matching the dimensions given, and the spread.

9) The sources. Epoch times is, like it or not, a vehemently anti government agency, funded by supporters of falun dafa. Boxun news, likewise, is strongly anti-Chinese, and is generally viewed as an anti-China propaganda machine. Like it or not, those two things count quite strongly against them in this circumstance. They have established themselves as being suspect when it comes to reporting on China - and the onus is on them to prove their case. They've produced nothing more than gossip.

Unless anyone has any serious evidence, photos from the scene, etc - I can't see any reason not to write this off as fear mongering on the part of two well known anti-Chinese papers.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by vox2442]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

All your reasons to discount this story are based on wether it was an accident and how a government would react to such a mistake.

What if it wasnt a mistake?

I can only make assumptions, but it seems a little to convenient that when china is in the middle of a global relations crisis, they couldnt use pitty more than they could right now, and gees louis they get it. Sure wish such convenient circumstance would swing my luck around even at the expense of so many others. The news seems to be filled with all the wonderfull ways china takes care of its citizens, especially in contrast to Bruma.

I dont trust the Chinese, my wife is chinese, dont trust here much either, her mother i consider to be an enemy combatant, just waiting for my prime minister to declare war.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose
reply to post by vox2442

All your reasons to discount this story are based on wether it was an accident and how a government would react to such a mistake.

No, they don't. Read it again.

You're suggesting that the Chinese government detonated a nuclear warhead at a depth of 10 km - a feat thusfar unknown in human history, with the specific aim of setting off an earthquake and killing off thousands upon thousands of people, sustaining billions of dollars damage to their economy -and somehow, along the way managed to keep the anti-China western media clueless WITH the implicit co-operation of international monitoring agencies AND both government and independently run research facilities in India, Pakistan, Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam, Bangladesh, Korea, Mongolia, Russia, and Japan - to say nothing of the US forces scattered around that area- as - let me make sure I've got this right - as a PR STUNT - based not on any empirical evidence, but on the fact that you... have a Chinese wife.

Sorry mate, I find it almost infinitely more likely that a retaining wall collapsed in an earthquake prone area, and a couple of fringe news outlets who are known to be very very anti- Chinese decided to do what they do every single day - write anti-China propaganda for the American audience.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

You have obviously taken a lot of time and effort to write those 2 posts, the main focus of which is that the websites are anti-chinese and are engaged in anti-chinese propaganda.

Would you care to share with us your reasons for your assertion that the sites in question are well known for their anti-chinese propaganda?

Would you also like to provide us with expert seismological evidence that says that an earthquake could not be confused with a nuclear detonation and/or accident if the 2 events happened closely enough together?

You see my problem goes along with the old saying: "methinks the man doth protest too much" and I find myself wondering why, especially in the light of your baseless accusations of anti-chinese propaganda.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Souljah

I suggest you, dear readers, heed this post from Souljah It is the most likely explanation for all observed anomalies. The region in China in question was slated for population relocation months ago. But why relocate when you can eliminate?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
OK bear with me - this is from memory.

Nuclear detonations and complaince with international treaties are monitored on a quad tier mechanism.

First of all is sesmic data, shared world wide by quake monitoring station, secondly comes satellite over watch of suspicios areas or known former test sites. Thirdly comes radio isotope monitoring by both high altitude manned and unmanned craft flying down wind from any suspicious areas of interest.

Lastly comes a formely classified ability to monitor in real time ionespheric effects from acoustic waves generated by underground nuclear tests.

The explosion causes ripples in the earths structure, and this sends waves of acoustic sound up into the ionisphere where beams of radio waves are streaming across potential sites.

The ripples cause disturbances and this gives a solid proof of a nuclear test. Interestingly an earth quake doesn't produce this specific frequency and thus cannot be confused (and neither do conventional explosives, its all to do with the make up and physics)

HAARP would of known in seconds if this was a nuke test. The silence is deafening thus i feel that they knew seonds after the event. hence China asked them for help..

Ok, well you obviously know a lot about how nukes are monitored......saying that, I say it was 100% not a nuclear detonation of any kind.

Lets see if you can put 2 and 2 together because im not saying else.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
where are the suggestions to look for a valley filled with concrete debris with Google earth?

it seems the majority are looking for still photos from a freelance reporter of the calamity site. quite a dubois undertaking,

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Chinese fireworks are deemed to be unsafe here in the UK, hope they are better with their nukes lol

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Ok....

I propose something for this thread...

In the first instance, if we can demonstrate scientifically that something that did or did not occur, we all accept that...

NOW...

For those instances or happenings or whatever, that we have not been able to explain by scientific or empirical methods, then any other research into said happenings in open slather...

And results from said research should be embraced and further investigated, and not dismissed with derision...

What do folks think of this ???

Peace

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

I think I have no idea what the words you wrote are supposed to mean.
One cannot demonstrate something "scientifically" in an internet forum.
What is the "first instance?"
What is "open slather?"
"slather - to cover or spread quickly"
Usually slather is used in reference to paint or mayonaise.
Did you mean slander?
Sorry, but you're so verbose with your sentence fragments it's comical.
And meaningless.
Who are you trying to fool?

I have a proposition; invest in a dictionary, or use words and sentence structures you're comfortable with.

Sorry to be mean, but I feel insulted when I read stuff like this. Are you trying to be confusing? Or communicate over someone's head? If so, you're failing miserably.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Thirty-five so-called quake lakes were created by the 7.9-magnitude quake.

CNN link

Dammit thirty five lakes created ? thirty five ?!? the area must of been thrown about some thing terrible for that amount of ground to have shifted to created a lake, let alone thrity five of them. A terrible display of awesome power of nature, and its effects on human engineered projects.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
that is ridiculous,nuclear explosion can be detected by many countries,and china's nuclear testing sites are in the northwestern desert where it has no people there,never heard any country's earth quake was caused by their nuclear test,why china is this special?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by haidian
that is ridiculous,nuclear explosion can be detected by many countries,and china's nuclear testing sites are in the northwestern desert where it has no people there,never heard any country's earth quake was caused by their nuclear test,why china is this special?

The radiation levels and the concerned nature of the chinese government.

They are hardly the folks to give a # about their people, so for them to hot foot it and admit to being worried is a massive course change from their normal po faced 'all is well' line.

The radiation is there, and thats what we are trying to debate and discuss.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
there are some nuclear facilities located around that area,that's not secret,everybody knows that,damage could be done to some of them,but it is not very great.as for the governments caring for people,this one cares no less than yours,basically all governments are the same.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
the top two chinese leaders president hu and premier wen both had spent more than one weak in the epicenter zone,cameras followed them all day long,they didnt wear any protection clothing during the whole course.if there is a nuclear disaster,how stupid they are to expose themselvs all day long for several days there.

check out this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

[edit on 4-6-2008 by haidian]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I think it's pretty safe to assume the radiation was not the cause of the earthquake... too much evidence points against it.

What likely happened, is the earthquake collapsed a waste storage facility underground. The radiation sources on the ground are from that facility.

No detonation, just a leak, caused by the earthquake.

But that does raise a question, were the Citizens made aware that they were living near a waste storage facility? Likely not.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
there are some nuclear facilities there and people know that from their names .after the quake,the media immediately raised that issue and the government assured people they'd sent experts to find that out.tv report says several of the facilities were damaged to some extent but still considered safe.they are trying to collect more samples to estimate if there' s real leakage occured.but anyway it wont be serious.otherwise the country's top leaders wouldnt have been there that long.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Like ive already said a few times in this thread, it was 100 percent absolutely NOT A NUCLEAR EVENT! I can't say any more on how I know that, but you're just gonna have to take my word for it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join