It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Explosion Suspected at Epicenter of the Sichuan Earthquake

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Nuclear Explosion Suspected at Epicenter of the Sichuan Earthquake

en.epochtimes.com

An unnamed expert believes that a nuclear explosion caused the recent 8.0 magnitude Sichuan earthquake in China, where three weeks after the catastrophe the death toll has reached 69,000 plus.

Overseas Chinese website Boxun News reported that the expert confirmed there was a nuclear explosion near the epicenter, based on witness reports and the discovery of concrete rubble believed to have come from an underground military installation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I don't have the expertise to say if this was possible, but it does raise some interesting questions, particularly concerning the concrete found whech is allegedly he same as that used in underground military bases.

If this is true, it raises the question of safety concerns at china's underground bases, and possible nuclear contamination of a wide area, not to mention the inhumanity shown by the chinese government in not allowing international relief organisations access until 72 hours later.

en.epochtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Very possible.

I'll find out the link to an article where the Chinese asked the Americans to send over there 'radiation detecting' aircraft and / or satellites.

Reports of a huge ligting of the ground and then a sudden collapse tends to lean towards an underground nuclear accident / accidental device detonation.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

That seems incredibly unlikely, I would think. The epicenter was 12 miles deep, if memory serves. No, I would argue that the quake probably caused a nuclear mishap, not the other way around. Of course, regardless of whether the chicken or the egg came first, so to speak, I do think a nuclear event may well have taken place based on this and other articles.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

"Nuclear experts said that closer to the epicenter of the earthquake, in rugged hills a two-hour drive west of Mianyang, China runs a highly secretive center that houses a prompt-burst reactor. It mimics the rush of speeding subatomic particles that an exploding atom bomb spews out in its first microseconds.

www.bookofjoe.com...

Its all purely speculation, but some thing really isn't right here. i'll keep digging and ferreting through the web for more stuff.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Chinese media reported on May 31, 2008/ A nuclear accident happened on May 12, 2008 in the mountain between Yingxiu town and Xuankou town in Sichuan Province that triggered Sichuan earthquake. A military medical rescue crew hiking in mountain found an area in valley with full of hundreds of tons of concrete covering the area. They were told the concrete were blown out from the top of the mountain and the explosion keeping for three minutes. Some of nuclear experts said that it should be a nuclear explosion underground according to its size and affects.

source

It's beginning to make a LOT more sense, perhaps.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Thanks Budski, I was looking for that

My monies on a catastrophic device failure.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by budski

That seems incredibly unlikely, I would think. The epicenter was 12 miles deep, if memory serves. No, I would argue that the quake probably caused a nuclear mishap, not the other way around. Of course, regardless of whether the chicken or the egg came first, so to speak, I do think a nuclear event may well have taken place based on this and other articles.

Well hypothetically speaking... It could very well be possible, any explosion in a confined space concentrates it's force, think holding a fire cracker on the palm of your hand... burnt hand, do the same thing but make your hand into a fist and you will beak most of the bones in your hand!

What's to say that the fault was already under considerable stress (as all good faults should be) and the confined nuke detonation was the straw to break the camels back? A deep underground base would direct a fair amount of energy down as well as every other direction.

My tupence

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
So, does anyone know if a device failure could trigger an earthquake?

Especially in a part of the world that has regular quakes?

Thanks Now_Then - I must have been typing my question as you posted your answer.

[edit on 3/6/2008 by budski]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Who caused the explosion? Maybe not the Chinese, but to save face they won't admit they have been attacked. Maybe that is another reason why they are reluctant for outside help.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That's an interesting teory, but I can't think of a country that china wouldn't retaliate against if they had attacked with a nuclear device.

This is reminding me more and more of chernobyl, and the problems with information about the accident at the time.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Even a underground nuclear explosion would be detected via satellite. If this happened then the UK and US would surely know about it. Why would they not announce they have detected a nuclear detonation? I guess its possible this happened but confirmation would have to be provided from outside of China for me to really believe this happened.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Possibly right - but it may have occurred outside of the satellite window.

I don't imagine they have satellites in geo-synchronous orbit for every military base on the planet - just overfly's, and if it were deep enough it may go undetected, but I'd really need that confirmed by someone who has expertise in the area of satellites and satellite technology.

It's a little too easy to dismiss this just because western governments have not reported it - we have no idea what goes on in the halls of power regarding this.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Epochtimes? sigh. Find a valid source please. Unless you think you can trust someone funded by CIA and NED. BTW this group had celebrated the quake for nearly a week in Flushing, New York, in front of the Chinese store.

Additionally, when they say Chinese media reported on May 31, 2008/ A nuclear accident happened on May 12, 2008. Can you tell me which Chinese media? Don't tell me it is the epochtimes again.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Wasn't there also some conjecture that the earthquake in America's mid-west was also sparked by a nuclear explosion?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is this fear mongering or is there any proof at all?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Wouldn't radiation be noticed? If concrete (radioactive?) reached the surface i think that a lot of radioactive dust did. So it had to be spotted, at least in my understanding.
But if it really happened - the fact that Chinese openly discuss it and not tried to hide it as Soviets in Chernobyl - shows a lot of maturity.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Wow, the implications of this are astounding, especially with the Olympics coming up. IMO, the "Chicken or the Egg" is pretty important. If a detonation came before the quake, then it could be argued that the government is directly responsible for every death that occurred as a result of the quake.

If a detonation occurred as a result of the quake, I suppose one could contend extreme negligence in the decision to maintain a nuclear facility in an unstable location.

I'm curious as to why we haven't seen any photos of this field of concrete.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
bluepanic

Well, you could try reading the link or even coming up with another source that refutes the information rather than just trying to throw a spanner in the works.

These things usually evolve until they are proven or disproven - don't want to help? then don't - simple really, but your negativity is hardly going to help us get to the bottom of this and find out the truth.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
That would explain the big lake that it created. In fact add that to them wanting the radiation equipment that would explain it well.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Unfortunately, this would have been detected by any of the geological monitoring stations around the world. The shockwaves given off by any sizeable explosion (as this would be) would be easily detectable around the world, and using receivers in multiple countries, the point of the explosion can be located. Then by looking at the actual waves, geologists can determine how far underground the explosion was, what sort of explosion it was, its containment, etc.

If any geologist around the world had any suspicions of this, they would have spoken up a long time ago.

I'll wait for more evidence

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join