It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea fire missle. Lands 600km From Japan

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakyty
USA fires hundreds of missiles a day at human beings and no one flinches
North Korea fires 7 missiles into the ocean and everyone #s their pants.

EXACTLY! Personally i feel there is something more disturbing if the US decides to all of a sudden start firing missiles in all directions! And as freakyty has pointed out, North Korea fired 7 missles that WENT INTO THE OCEAN!! LOL... Plus lets not forget that when the US decides to ship missles into the sky, they actually hit people and things... but who cares about that.. right??

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Some here have stated that Kim Jung Il is like a petulant brat, who needs a spank.

I would say that while the comparisons are understandable, the situation is different, because North Korea is not just about Kim, one man, but about millions of people who are North Korean, who pose no threat to America as much as the same as the everyday American who wishes only to work a good day, and get home safely to his family in the evening does not pose a threat to North Korea.

One thing that should be understood, and by goodness I do hope it's understood, is that North Korea is not a nation of robotic, uniform wearing emotionless androids who chant "Hail Great Leader!" every other sentance.

Indeed, they are human beings, just like you and me, and many North Koreans no doubt, no doubt at all, see Kim Jung Il as a complete and utter bastard.

We don't hear about them, because North Korea's government does not want you to hear about them.

People are screaming "Take North Korea out!" but please, realise the implications of what you are saying. You are not saying 'Take Kim Hung Il' out, but an entire people.

Decorum please.

Millions of North Korean deaths are not worth Kim Jung Il's head, and he would use a war to his own gains and unite his nation behind him, who would see their country attacked.

I personally find 1000's of Cruise Missiles slamming into Iraq as was the case in 2003 more frightening that North Korea, a nation of poor living, sending up missiles that don't work.

By all means, North Korea could have warned of it's missile tests, but calling their missile tests 'evil' when other nations test their missiles is hypocritical.

The one thing that concerns me is what North Korea's missiles may have done by accident, what the US response would be and etc.

Kim Jung Il for all his oddities is not a person who would not realise the implications of attacking America.

He has done this because he wants improved talks like with Iran.

Reports say he watches CNN, and he probably watches the talks with Iran and compares it to the negotiations with him unfavourably.

A nuclear test could be next......but China and Russia would NOT be pleased.

The reaction should be this:

"Be sensible. Act mature. Or we won't take you seriously."

If Kim Jung Il does get more out of hand, I can see China doing something.

Maybe they will use him as a pawn to wind up the US.

Maybe they will tire of him and launch a war.

I doubt America would complain on the second option.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
while i agree that a war with NK would be highly unethical and result in the deaths of many innocent people...

i'm a callous bastard, and i'd still support a limited invasion, just enough to remove kim.

kind of like iraq.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
while i agree that a war with NK would be highly unethical and result in the deaths of many innocent people...

i'm a callous bastard, and i'd still support a limited invasion, just enough to remove kim.

kind of like iraq.

Yeah but look at Iraq now.

How would you define limited invasion?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You who think this is a friendly test firing are honestly ignoring some facts. First off it was on a US holliday second the missles fired were of different varieties some being older tested and proven scuds,third no warnings of tests or area's so that no accidents or persons are harmed by testing. No this was no simple innocent test from NK. Yes they have a right to test but all the above countries mentioned besides NK to my knowledge give notice and warnings of such tests so that the Wrong idea or innocent persons arent in test areas. Sorry but the Testing theory is BS. this guy is a missle flinging nut. Next volley may be live rounds and hit populated areas. I know you US haters disagree but look at past testing by other countries over the years and you may see warnings were given beforehand.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regensturm
Yeah but look at Iraq now.

How would you define limited invasion?

tactical strikes against military and political installations.

and a lot of the problems in iraq are directly related to the religious insurgency in that part of the world.

edit to note that North Koreans aren't likely to use suicide tactics, such as in iraq, which endanger the civilian population. it would likely be a 'war' with far, far fewer civilian casualties and drama.

[edit on 5-7-2006 by 25cents]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
If we get back to the diversion idea, Ken Lay has died. Could this be another, standard, media diversion?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

tactical strikes against military and political installations.

And what if you don't get Kim Jung Il? What if you just make North Korea implode, like Iraq?

and a lot of the problems in iraq are directly related to the religious insurgency in that part of the world.

The insurgency in Iraq can be blamed on a foreign military presence.

If North Korea is invaded, we could see the same.

edit to note that North Koreans aren't likely to use suicide tactics, such as in iraq, which endanger the civilian population. it would likely be a 'war' with far, far fewer civilian casualties and drama.

Please, don't count on that.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
If we get back to the diversion idea, Ken Lay has died. Could this be another, standard, media diversion?

Along with what is happening in Gaza?

I would not be surprised.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
if tactical strikes don't get him, invade and find him. we had to do it with saddaam. and while i agree, insurgency would happen in any country that was invaded, the one in iraq is fed by religious fervor, terrorist propaganda (i know, there would be communist propaganda in NK), and a general resentment towards the US by that part of the world.

finally, suicide bombings, while not restricted solely to the middle east, would be much less of a concern in fighting a country with 10% of it's population serving as military. i'm not saying all of these factors could be ignored, but i am saying that it would be a much less costly war, considering japan and, in all likelihood, china would support us.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Originally posted by digitalassassin
What are you talking about?

The news IS the truest form of reality T.V.

Reality TV is grotesquely melodramatic and places people in completely abnormal situations which have little if anything to do with "reality". Now, this actually DOES happen to fit certain news networks very well, but at least in theory, "reality tv" is a very different animal from the news.

You can't get anymore real than real can you?

We're not talking about realistic or reality-relevant TV, we're talking about "reality TV" as the term is commonly applied.

If you are trying to say we should ignore the world around us,

Nothing that I said should have been construed with that meaning if even the slightest cognitive process were applied to it. I am not saying that we should be ignorant of what transpires in the world.
I am saying that when some tinpot whacko starts screaming "look at me! look at me!" like a three year old, but in practical terms is incapable of actually backing up that temper tantrum with muscle, turning our attention squarely on him and responding to his tantrum with great concern is unjustified and counter-productive.
North Korea can't nuke us. They can't nuke us for the same reaosn that Russia and China can't; because all it would do is bring down a butt load of pain upon them in retaliation. So why are we adding to the sense of crisis and thereby contributing to the possibility of war by miscalculation, when it would be far safer to disengage.

Tell me this... you're standing in front of a police station (the deterrent), and several hundred feet away somebody is playing with a pocket knife and giving you the evil eye. He can't mess with you. If he comes after you with that knife, that deterrent is coming down on him. You're safe. So why would you walk over to him and ask why he's mad dogging you? The only thing that could come of that is that he gets scared when you approach and he stabs you. So why engage? Keep your eye on him, of course, but get within arms reach of him for no good reason?

What we need to do is stop brushing real problems aside and take action.

I agree, we need to stop brushing real problems aside. So maybe we should take stock of what the real problems are.

A. A nation which is afraid of us, geographically removed from us and our vital interests, and checked by China, is building a missile which so far doesn't work in order to give them the capacity to deliver nukes that have never been tested IF we ever do something that we're never going to do anyway.

B. A resource which is vitally important to our economy is becoming increasingly scarce and expensive and exists primarily in an extremely unstable region where we are very unpopular.

C. In a time where circumstances such as B make it more important than ever before to be able to present a unified front with other members of the international community against tyrants and aggressors, we are so wildly unpopular that some of our longest standing allies will refuse to stand with us completely even when its in their best interest to just get behind us and back our play.

D. We have an ever-increasing refugee crisis from Mexico which is causing social unrest in some states and promises to grow steadily worse with increasing social and economic consequences if the existing challenges are not swiftly addressed and then stopped from reoccuring by the formulation of a working border policy.

Did you ever watch Sesame Street?
*singing* One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong...

Touché....When you put it like that I understand alot easier where you are coming from and what you mean exactaly. Thanks for explaining.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   

if tactical strikes don't get him, invade and find him.

Why? What's the point of launching a war that will kill tens of thousands, to get one guy? Because he launched a bunch of crappy rockets into the ocean?

Sure, Kim's an evil dictator making noise. The planet is full of them. BFD.

There is no pressing need to topple NK, certainly not one worth sending thousands of Americans to die for (not to mention killing tens of thousands of Koreans at the very least). The only country that is threatened in any real sense by NK is the South, and they are dealing with it in their own way. Let them. It's their problem, not ours.

[edit on 7/5/06 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hey all,

I am fairly new and old to ATS. I go through spurts with ATS and all the conspiracy stuff. I guess i registered about 2 years ago and got so wrapped up in all the conspiracy and factual information i got on this site in regards to what is going on in the world and with the worst so called gov. in the world(that being the United States)that i had to take a break. It makes me absolutely sick at how crooked our gov. is. but anyway, that is a whole nother story. I figured i would chime in on this NK scenario.

Now if this is truly a legitimate problem that NK is throwing on the table. (Not some project northwoods or project9/11 smoking gun by the gov. of the united states)then yes kimmie boy is being rather stupid. It seems he could be doing a few diff. things. Lets try and come up with some legitimate scenarios to why this guy is shooting off missles. And we can break them down 1 by 1 from there. If you have any reasoning to why you might think he is doing this, chime in and throw it out there.

1. Letting off some steam?

2. Sending a warning?

3. Trying to provoke certain countries into doing something they may regret?

4. Putting the scare into certain countries?

5. legitimately testing his missles?

6. Using these missle launches to gain leverage in things that he wants?

7. Just being an absolute idiot who is going to get himself and alot of his innocent people killed because of his dumbassssss ways?

I can say this. Kimmy boy most likely will not launch any kind of missle with a nuclear payload directed toward any major country. Because it would be suicide if he did so. No man is so stupid not to realize that. I dont care how big your balls are. A man in any kind of power position does not want to die. It is that simple. And that is exactly what he would be doing. He might as well start digging his own grave after he pushes the button. No country will stand for any kind of nuclear strike against any country. So, i say, lets see how stupid you really are kimmy boy. or how big those balls are bro. do they klank when you walk? because they would have to if you wanted to try something so stupid to send an icbm with a nuclear payload towards any country. there would be serious reprocussions. And possibly total annihilation of nk. I am totally against war. I totally think the U.S. gov is as crooked as they come and they need a complete overthrow of the current gov and its policies. I belive the U.S. constructed teh whole 9/11 attacks. This is to just give you an idea where i stand. So you dont think i am just gun ho about the american gov. But nutjobs like this kimmy dude need to be taken out of power. As did suddam hussein. But they can be taken out of power in a much diff and less expensive way as a couple of people have referred to. ONE shot ONE kill method. And that needs to be done to quite a few so called leaders. Not just kimmy boy

mod edit: censor circumvention

[edit on 10-7-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

if tactical strikes don't get him, invade and find him.

As simple as that? Wishful thinking.

Originally posted by 25cents we had to do it with saddaam. and while i agree, insurgency would happen in any country that was invaded, the one in iraq is fed by religious fervor, terrorist propaganda (i know, there would be communist propaganda in NK), and a general resentment towards the US by that part of the world.

The one in North Korea would be fed by nationalistic fervour, insurgent propaganda, and probably the actions of an attack on North Korea.

There is resentment to the US by some North Koreans, who see the US as denying a United Korea, divided by the DMZ and The Korean War.

Originally posted by 25centsfinally, suicide bombings, while not restricted solely to the middle east, would be much less of a concern in fighting a country with 10% of it's population serving as military. i'm not saying all of these factors could be ignored, but i am saying that it would be a much less costly war, considering japan and, in all likelihood, china would support us.

Sorry to break it to you, but it's not as simple as that.

Do you remember, Pre-Gulf War 1991, when everybody was screaming about Iraq's military being one of the biggest in the world?

Just like how people scream about North Korea's military being one of the biggest in the world now?

Maybe you do, maybe you don't, but I do, and we all know what happened there, and in 2003. Ex-Military joined everyday citizens in an insurgency there. Don't think the same could not happen in North Korea.

Suicide bombings could come into use as means of weaponry, to die for their country as they see it.

Japan may well support the US, South Korea may be wobbly about a war, preferring dialogue.

But China?

I seriously doubt China would like the thought of having the US on it's doorstep in North Korea.

This is what sparked China's involvement in The Korean War.

And China have a pact with North Korea, where if North Korea is attacked, China come to their defence.

As I said earlier, China may feel it's best to take out Kim themselves, or pressure them to change.

Already, North Korea have shown signs of adopting China's economic model.

[edit on 5-7-2006 by Regensturm]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
hey, i was just spouting my opinio, and, like i said, i'm a callous prick. i never said i was right, just that i'm right in my own little world.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

MosNews

North Korea launched a total of 10 missiles, the head of Russia’s General Staff was quoted as saying on Wednesday, but he could not confirm how many of them were intercontinental weapons.

“Our control systems can confirm that the rockets were launched,” he told reporters in the town of Chita, near the Mongolian border, the Reuters news agency quoted the Russian miliatry official as saying.

“Ten rockets were launched. According to one set of data, they were rockets of different classes. According to another set of data, they were all intercontinental. I can only say what class they were after receiving the technical data.”

Ten Rockets were launched?

Well I guess yesterday was the day to fire up all "Firecrackers", no?

Space Shuttle, ten intercontinental missiles, 4th of July fireworks...

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
But wasn't it July 5th already in NK?

If that's the case then they were late with their fireworks

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

hey, i was just spouting my opinio,

I know. I'm just explaining why your opinion on how to resolve the situation with North Korea may not go the way you wished, or may not work at all.

and, like i said, i'm a callous prick. i never said i was right, just that i'm right in my own little world.

mmmkay....

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
But wasn't it July 5th already in NK?

If that's the case then they were late with their fireworks

What is it they say?

It's the thought that counts?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
According to Foxnews, a draft resolution that might involve military action.

But America, is strongly ruling out military action.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join